Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olivia DeHavialland Autobio-Posthumous Release?

bhryun

Does anybody suspect that Olivia DeHavilland most likely finished her manuscript YEARS ago and is waiting to release the book only upon her death ala Loretta Young who finally admitted that her daughter was indeed Gable's in a book designed to be released on her death. If the book has some bombshells in it, and no doubt there will be some about her sister at the very least, she will likely wait to speak from the grave as her last words on the subject?

Olivia is now approaching 90 years (at the least assuming what we believe to be her birthdate) I think any touring is out of the question.

Hi Cregory7,

I have always suspected that this was and will be the case.

Surely somebody with Miss De Havilland's intelligence wouldn't take 25 years to write a book. I first heard about her writing one around 1975, but then Joan Fontaine's book came out and I wondered if it was hers that I had heard about and got the two sisters mixed up......

Then in the 80's, Olivia herself announced that she was writing this book and I've been hearing about it ever since.

I can understand that things may have gotten interrupted when her son got sick and then died, but that was a decade ago.

So now, I guess she'll wait and publish after her death or Joan's!!!!

Larry

I agree with both of you. Olivia obviously does not want to spill all her beans while she's alive and would rather let her book do all the talking for her. I only wish I had kept my copy of Joan's book, No Bed of Roses. That, and other such incidents have taught me to throw out or give away anythig else, but hold onto my books! BTW, I just picked up a copy of Olivia's book, Every Frenchman Has One on ebay and I can't wait to read it.

On another note, I would love to write a fan letter to Olivia and live in hopes she might actually receive it. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thank you.

Hi,

Olivia DeHavilland lives in Paris on the Rue Benouville.

You could try writing to her there and hope it gets to her. She may still call herself Madame Galante, even though she's divorced from Pierre Galante and he is now dead. In France, the last wife is considered the widow - divorced or not.

I have heard, however, that she does not give out autographs, but write her a fan letter and see what happens. And, let us know!

Larry

I had written to Olivia back in the early 1990's and back then she was still signing photographs for the fans, she inscribed the photo and even sent back a little thank you card. I was surprised to learn that since then she has completely stopped the practice and returns all requests saying she is too busy writing her book to fulfill requests. I suspect her health may be more the issue but I am sure that any mail that was sent to her would find its way to her, even if it's just

"Oliva DeHavilland, Actress, France"