Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An endorsement for A Place of One's Own, tonight

slaytonf

It's a small movie.  A modest movie.  A little ghost tale, not scary, or malevolent.  But Margaret Lockwood is so charming and attractive, and James Mason plays such an uncharacteristically understated role, that one can't help being engaged by it.  The plot is not much to speak of.  There's a haunted house, and a case of ghost-possession.  But the important thing is the characters, and their relations, and their development, and how they deal with the things that come in their way.  It's one of those movies I pull out once in a while, just 'cause I like it.

It's a small movie.  A modest movie.  A little ghost tale, not scary, or malevolent.  But Margaret Lockwood is so charming and attractive, and James Mason plays such an uncharacteristically understated role, that one can't help being engaged by it.  The plot is not much to speak of.  There's a haunted house, and a case of ghost-possession.  But the important thing is the characters, and their relations, and their development, and how they deal with the things that come in their way.  It's one of those movies I pull out once in a while, just 'cause I like it.

I taped it the last time it was on -- my recorder says 10/22, so I guess last year.  I only just began watching it last week. I like it so far -- it's just as you say. And the young James Mason playing much older is quite interesting. And written by Osbert Sitwell!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings