Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Krzysztof Kieslowski

Mac_the_Nice

Saw "The Double Life of Veronique" tonight, finally. I thought it decidedly did have its charms but also some rather aggravating flaws in the way of a missed opportunity for a plot containing much more in the way of revelation and discovery--if those venerable old dicta from Aristotle's Poetics should still hold some sway when it comes to an effective catharsis awaiting at the end of a play.

What about his "Color Trilogy" -- is it pretty much the same with little diligence given to the coherence or development of a plot? Or, like this one, is it pretty much pretty pictures and -- I'll say this: exquisite music on the score and in performance. Who on earth was the composer? I find no indication from the credits. Was it indeed as the musical director character says, some "lately discovered Dutch composer from two centuries ago?" Hardly. Not with those gorgeous atonalities that, as in the style of Kurt Weill, are nonetheless never discordant nor jarring to the ear, but a new revelation about an expanded possibility for melody.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings