Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 2 months later...

I am sorry that I did not see this thread when it was created. It is sad to say that I am only now catching up on all that I missed during that time.

I love Doctor Who very much! It is thought-provoking and madcap and touching and many other things all at same time.

I fear that people dismiss the series because they think it is cheap sci-fi with a macho hero who travels through time and space killing monsters. 

I believe that a perfect example of how touching it is is River Song's soliloquy:

"When I first met the Doctor, a long, long time ago, he knew all about me. 
Think about that.
An impressionable young girl and, suddenly, this man just drops out of the sky, and he's clever and mad and wonderful and knows every last thing about her.
Imagine what that does to a girl.
The trouble is, it's all back-to-front. My past is his future. We're traveling in opposite directions.
Every time we meet, I know him more, he knows me less.
I live for the days when I see him, but I know that every time I do, he'll be one step further away.
And the day is coming when I'll look into that man's eyes - my Doctor - and he won't have the faintest idea who I am.
And I think it's going to kill me."

I find their relationship quite thought-provoking. Imagine feeling of: "I knew you when you were older." 

It is also source of interesting humor. They must be careful of what they say to each other because of 'spoilers.' It is like spoiling a movie for a person by telling them of scenes within it but it is here that what they say can tell the other about their own future. This might create a paradox. It is that when The Doctor introduces her to Amy Pond that he calls her: "Professor River Song.' River Song replies: "Oh, I'm going to be a professor." It is a tease because it is likely that she is already a professor and is doing mind-game on him. 
  • Like 1

I am sorry that I did not see this thread when it was created. It is sad to say that I am only now catching up on all that I missed during that time.

I love Doctor Who very much! It is thought-provoking and madcap and touching and many other things all at same time.

I fear that people dismiss the series because they think it is cheap sci-fi with a macho hero who travels through time and space killing monsters. 

I believe that a perfect example of how touching it is is River Song's soliloquy:

"When I first met the Doctor, a long, long time ago, he knew all about me. 
Think about that.
An impressionable young girl and, suddenly, this man just drops out of the sky, and he's clever and mad and wonderful and knows every last thing about her.
Imagine what that does to a girl.
The trouble is, it's all back-to-front. My past is his future. We're traveling in opposite directions.
Every time we meet, I know him more, he knows me less.
I live for the days when I see him, but I know that every time I do, he'll be one step further away.
And the day is coming when I'll look into that man's eyes - my Doctor - and he won't have the faintest idea who I am.
And I think it's going to kill me."

I find their relationship quite thought-provoking. Imagine feeling of: "I knew you when you were older." 

It is also source of interesting humor. They must be careful of what they say to each other because of 'spoilers.' It is like spoiling a movie for a person by telling them of scenes within it but it is here that what they say can tell the other about their own future. This might create a paradox. It is that when The Doctor introduces her to Amy Pond that he calls her: "Professor River Song.' River Song replies: "Oh, I'm going to be a professor." It is a tease because it is likely that she is already a professor and is doing mind-game on him. 

Thanks for your post. Glad you are one of the intelligent ones who appreciate British talent & most importantly, this once Cult show, now as Mainstream as you can get. Thanks to the brilliant Russell T. Davis he has renewed the beaty this show is all about. The current Executive Producer Steven Moffat is great, but too childish because most of what he does is based on relationships & romance to appeal to the younger female crowd who think of it as of Matt Smith's run as a soap opera which I can't stand. Yes the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) did a awesome job, but it sucks cause Moffat I think didn't give him enough glory as he deserved. But to talk about its Legacy, Doctor Who has what they call perhaps the greatest Doctor we will ever see Doctor #12 (Peter Capaldi), with the exception of #4 (Tom Baker) who in my book is the pinacle of all the Doctors. I agree with Capaldi being right up there for the #1 spot because not only is he a true fan of the series, but he gets it. His acting talent is at his best NOW. I hope Moffat doesn't ruin his run, I heard they are getting the 1st female writer for the next season in like 8 years or something like that. As of the new series since its return in 2005, #10 (David Tennant) is my personal favorite, but Capaldi has yet to shine & show what he's got. This past season was great, but Moffat has RUINED what could've been great, & just made them mediocre. I love the classic series despite the cheapish looking effects they had, but when you understand the times, & you watch the special features & see all the time & effort they spent to make a small effect work, you can't knock 'em. As a matter of fact, I don't think any true Whovian disrespects the classic series, & some to this day, even the new fans, prefer the classics. I'm glad the Doctor is what it is today & since it's reached 50 years, it going stronger than ever.

I am sad to say that I have seen little of the original series. I liked Peter Davidson. It was odd reconciling his character with the excellent performance he gave as Tristan Farnon in: All Creatures Great and Small series previous to his becoming The Doctor.

I feel that Matt Smith was excellent for the stories which he was mostly given. I feel he would not have carried well episodes with anguish such as: Doomsday. The episode: The Eleventh Hour which introduced him is perhaps my favorite episode of all time. 

The episode which vies for ranking as my very favorite is: Silence in the Library. I feel that David Tennant was perfect for that episode. I feel that any other Doctor would not have done it as well.

I like Peter Capaldi but I have nagging feeling that I have not yet truly seen him as The Doctor. The Doctor travels with a companion but he has been only Carla's companion. I am hoping that she is cycled out of the series soon for there is danger that they will have to rename series: The Carla Show. I have thought that it would be interesting twist if The Doctor would regenerate as female but making female main character and pushing The Doctor into background is unappealing.

I feel that Christopher Eccleston was an excellent Doctor and that he is much under-rated. I feel he was perfect for re-introduction of the series. I do not see any other Doctor providing all elements necessary to draw new viewers into the series.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

[With apologies for steal- borrowing this from Australian children's' author Paul Jennings]

[at an Australian shopping mall one Christmas in that alternate universe where the Eleventh Doctor traveled with seven-year-old Amelia Pond]

Young Amelia Pond [in pink t-shirt and white shorts]: "You promised you'd take me to see Australian Father Christmas!

Eleven: Amelia, we're shopping for presents!

Young Amelia: If you don't take me to see Australian Father Christmas, I'll wee on the floor! [starts lifting leg end of her shorts]

Eleven [defeated]: OK, we'll go and see Australian Father Christmas.