Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's the plot.... what's the title??

DickLindsay

Many years ago (about 45-50 yrs), I watched a movie on TV with my dad.  So, I was about 5-6 years old.  Have no idea who was in it or what the title is. Here is the plot:

Main character was a woman who I believe was a teacher (or possibly a caretaker of young children but I"m fairly certain she was a teacher).   Many years later, she ran into a young man and said to him, "Aren't you Johnny? (sorry, but his name might be something else) the boy who was afraid of lightning"?  Then she introduced herself as the teacher that once comforted him during a lightning storm.  By this time, he was a grown man.  He arranged to have a gathering for her with all the children she once took care of.  It was a surprise for her, and  the final shot in the film is  she looks around the room and  the audience sees a montage of the people in the room as the young children or babies she once took care of.

I liked it at the time..... Have a feeling I would find it corny now.... But I'd still like to find out the title and watch it again.  No doubt it's on TCM.

Thanks

Sounds like a favorite of mine THE BLUE VEIL Jane Wyman stars as the nanny to all those children. Many years ago it was shown at MoMa. The film has not been shown on tv in many years and has been requested (by me) and others many, many times. About 2 years ago I watched

THE BLUE VEIL on youtube. I hadn't seen it in so many years and enjoyed the film so much. You might check to see if it's still available there. Hope that helps :)

Dick, I'm sure that Lavender is right about the title.  This is also a favorite of mine.  For some reason, it has not been shown on TCM, although Robert Osborne will mention it from time to time in his introductions.  And it's such a shame that it is being ignored.  It's a wonderful film, and Jane Wyman and Joan Blondell were both up for Oscars for this.  Perhaps there is some legal reason why this has not been shown. 

Terrence.

Wow, I am surprised!  I never heard this title mentioned anywhere.  I collect movie memorabilia, have a very nice collection with lots of great titles.  I've also seen lots of great items over the years but I must say, I have never heard this title mentioned before tonight.  However, I did look it up in the IMDB and you're right, this **IS** the film.

So, Robert Osborne or the gods at TCM, Why doesn't this film get scheduled?

You're Welcome Dick! THE BLUE VEIL, as I wrote earlier, has not been shown other than at MoMa (maybe?) in many years. Years ago when I started to request the film be shown, a poster mentioned that it was going to be shown at a retrospective at MoMa. Other than that, no one has mentioned the film being shown anywhere. From what I've read, the film is tied up in legal issues. I checked Youtube and it's no longer available there. I did watch it on youtube a couple of years ago. It was played in about 9 parts. Other than a scene or 2 the whole film is no longer there, so there must be legal issues involved. It's very doubtful TCM will be showing the film.

It's a wonderful film and I consider myself lucky to have been able to see it again before it disappeared.  Jane Wyman was nominated for an Oscar for this performance as Best Leading Actress and did win the Golden Globe for this film as Best Leading Actress. Joan Blondell was Oscar nominated for Best Supporting Actress for the film. Glad I could remind you of the title. If you do find the film, please let us know.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings