Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Modern classics/ popular films on TCM

thejackal

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I know that TCM occasionally airs newer films that are either considered to be modern classics or are otherwise popular films of modern vintage. For instance, I've seen "Batman" (1989) on TCM in the past. I was wondering what you think is the likelihood - assuming they haven't already - that TCM will eventually show films from any of the other big franchises of the 70s - 90s, such as Indiana Jones, James Bond (mostly R. Moore I would think), Star Wars (original trilogy, of course) or Star Trek (most likely I,II,IV,VI) and which of the available versions of each would most likely be shown?

TCM doesn't own the rights to show any of those films...their library includes pre-1986 MGM films, pre-1950 Warner Bros films, all RKO films, and a few others. They can license films from other studies to show on TCM, but I believe that the film series you listed have exclusive deals with other networks. And even if they don't, their licensing fees would be way too high for TCM to even bother.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings