Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marian Seldes 1928-2014

Swithin

The great theater actress Marian Seldes has died at home in New York City, aged 86. I worked with her many times and once kept her messages on my answering machine, because they always began, in her inimitable husky, low tones -- "Good morning my darling..."  She was a lovely woman, talented actress.

Marian was also a great teacher. Her students included Christopher Reeve, Robin Williams, Kevin Kline, William Hurt, and Patti LuPone. Her second husband, whom she married in 1990, was Garson Kanin.

She was one of those actors who made a few films and did a fair amount of television work, but who always will be considered a giant of the theater.

The lovely lady with the black hair so long she could sit on it!  That was how I first saw her on a Matinee Theater episode back in the mid-50s.  I caught many of her TV performances throughout the years and always knew that at least one cast member knew her craft.  What a legacy she left in all the acting departments!  RIP, Dear Lady.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings