Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Van Bueren Cartoons...What happened?

Here in SoCal -Time Warner just realined and eliminated all SD channels...TCM is available only in HD. I never remember TCM screwing up in this manner. Cound not figure out the odd ratio on the first go round.

Same thing on the east coast; a repeat showing of the Windsor Mackay segment--- I haven't been this disappointed since they promised us Jack Benny in "Charley's Aunt" then Osborn said "we couldn't find it; so here's Charlie Ruggle's 1930 version".....dohhh...

at least THAT was an explanation, THIS was just rudely unprofessional and callous.

:(

Ditto, the "Cartoons of Windsor McKay" was excellent, but to have the teaser for "Animation from Van Beuren Studios" followed by a repeat of the MacKay segment was a downer.  And the repeated MacKay show was truncated when "The Adventures of Prince Achmed" started. Hats off to TCM for some new and interesting programming on animation, but let's see the entirety of it!

Yeah, this was kind of a major mess-up on the part of the programming department. I recall this happening before.

I'd like to echo what's been said previously... great to have some innovative programming on the channel, but it's pretty much meaningless WHEN YOU SCREW IT UP COMPLETELY. :angry:

Now, please reschedule*.  I was really looking forward to this night.

Oh... and do more stuff like this! :D

*EDIT:

Please let us know in this thread when it will be rescheduled.

Yes - I also hope that TCM will show the Van Beuren Cartoon collection.  I've noticed of late that every now and then TCM will show a film and there are noticeable skips - as if the film was not spun quickly through and back before playing.  This will happen to film that was not "refreshed in this way".  Because of this I wonder if the person responsible for preparing the films to be shown just prior to the

time of broadcasting is not doing this. Hence a problem with the Van Beuren film may have occurred just before broadcasting it and hence it was abruptly cancelled.

This is my first posting and I wonder if TCM staff view these postings and will reply to us on this site.

Also - it would be best to broadcast the Van Beuren collection next week or later and not suddenly sometime this same week because most viewers might not become aware of this.

Yes - I also hope that TCM will show the Van Beuren Cartoon collection.  I've noticed of late that every now and then TCM will show a film and there are noticeable skips - as if the film was not spun quickly through and back before playing.  This will happen to film that was not "refreshed in this way".  Because of this I wonder if the person responsible for preparing the films to be shown just prior to the

time of broadcasting is not doing this. Hence a problem with the Van Beuren film may have occurred just before broadcasting it and hence it was abruptly cancelled.

This is my first posting and I wonder if TCM staff view these postings and will reply to us on this site.

Also - it would be best to broadcast the Van Beuren collection next week or later and not suddenly sometime this same week because most viewers might not become aware of this.

Welcome to the boards!  The Van Beuren collection will air again on December 7th.

Actually, yes, they are...lock stock and barrel. This was all just a technical error and thankfully they will air after all in December. 

Thanks very much for being kind enough to inform us, Tommy. I enjoyed your commentary very much on last night's show about the Bray Studio.

Glad you and many others enjoyed it! It was an honor not only to appear, but especially to be able to provide these rare Bray films.

Not many TCM presenters appear on the boards here, Tommy.

It's very gracious of you to join in the conversation.

So it looks like the Van Beuren cartoons will air on December 7 at 10:15PM, following the traditional Pearl Harbor Day airing of 'From Here to Eternity'. Unfortunately, this rescheduling does preempt a screening of 'Separate Tables', but I'm sure we'll see that film in the not-to-distant future as well.

Same thing on the east coast; a repeat showing of the Windsor Mackay segment.

Yeah, I caught some of the Winsor McCay segment earlier then I turned TCM on again as I was getting ready for bed and saw that Gertie the Dinosaur was back

I was wondering if I had hallucinated the first showing.   

Glad you and many others enjoyed it! It was an honor not only to appear, but especially to be able to provide these rare Bray films.

Indeed, thank you for appearing on TCM, in a refreshingly new program for them...and us.

I grew up in New Rochelle and my cousin worked at Terrytoons, but sadly I was never given a tour. That beautiful building, which has been sans the Mighty Mouse mural for numerous decades, is now home to one of the ubiquitous fruit markets in the former Queen Of The Sound.

If you ever host an Animation Block Party in Westchester, please let us know. Thank you again.

Actually, I think TCM makes very few scheduling mistakes, considering the oddity of what they must schedule, which is a lot of different films of a lot of different odd lengths. Other networks usually have very normal and standard timing schedules that are the same every day, but TCM's film, short, and promo schedule is different every day of the year.

FYI, here's their response from their FB:

"Fans, last night we hit a mix up with our programming schedule, and we apologize for this. We've rescheduled Guest Programmer Steve Stanchfield's exploration of the Van Beuren Studios animated shorts for Sunday, December 7. If you've downloaded Watch TCM, you can also look for the Van Beuren shorts there this week.

Thanks for your understanding & patience with us!"

• Like 1