Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Turner to lay off 1500 from all areas including CNN, TCM, TBS, etc.

OBJ

Turner to lay off 1500 employees from all areas including cnn, tbs, tnt, TCM, etc.

I would not know what to do If any negative changes happened here. I'm a disabled shut-in and it's therapy for me and others. I pray TCM doesn't go the way AMC did and start showing edited and cut films and tons of ads.

obj

• Like 2

Turner to lay off 1500 employees from all areas including cnn, tbs, tnt, TCM, etc.

Well, I know ONE employee they should "lay off", anyway!

(...the person responsible for the scheduling screw-up last night!) LOL

I would not know what to do If any negative changes happened here. I'm a disabled shut-in and it's therapy for me and others. I pray TCM doesn't go the way AMC did and start showing edited and cut films and tons of ads.

obj

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26365954/turner-cnn-facing-job-cuts-and-changes

Turner executives have hinted at significant job cuts as soon as this week.

CNN president Jeff Zucker told staff to expect changes saying, "We are going to do less and have to do it with less." That has set off a swirl of rumors about the company's future, causing fear for employees and residents of Atlanta.

--------------------

Note:

They need to bring Ted back and let him run it again. He made billions of dollars running it his way and running it right.

Well, I know ONE employee they should "lay off", anyway!

(...the person responsible for the scheduling screw-up last night!) LOL

lay-off any employee who could watch Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, 2001: A Space Odyssey and GWTW a zillion times...each. :lol:

Like all the other corporations in America, it's also all about age and the commensurate salaries and health care.

On Tuesday morning, CNN employees -- and those at other Turner Broadcasting networks such as TNT, TBS, and HLN -- were informed that staff over 55 years old or with the company for 10 or more years were eligible for a buyout. In a memo obtained by HuffPost, Turner indicated there will be "additional reductions in staff," presumably layoffs, in addition to the voluntary buyouts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/26/cnn-buyouts-layoffs_n_5715795.html

Like all the other corporations in America, it's also all about age and the commensurate salaries and health care.

On Tuesday morning, CNN employees -- and those at other Turner Broadcasting networks such as TNT, TBS, and HLN -- were informed that staff over 55 years old or with the company for 10 or more years were eligible for a buyout.

That happened to me in the TV business, years ago. Older people usually have worked their way up to higher salaries, because of their vast experience in the business. Younger employees will work cheap, especially ones right out of high school and college.

But the young ones have no experience and will make a lot of mistakes. Watch for more mistakes, once all the over-55 people are gone and the 20-year-olds start running most of the functions of TCM. doh.... like the big snafuu last night with the one cartoon show run twice in a row, and the other one not shown at all.

• Like 1

I think that TCM won't be touched, as unlike the other channels which have been losing their target audience, TCM's audience has remained loyal and true. Another reason why TCM will not change is because the channel has its name associated with many other mediums, such as DVD boxed sets, a cruise, and a film festival. It has become a name brand in addition to a channel.

What?? No NFL football games on TCM??

That happened to me in the TV business, years ago. Older people usually have worked their way up to higher salaries, because of their vast experience in the business. Younger employees will work cheap, especially ones right out of high school and college.

But the young ones have no experience and will make a lot of mistakes. Watch for more mistakes, once all the over-55 people are gone and the 20-year-olds start running most of the functions of TCM. doh.... like the big snafuu last night with the one cartoon show run twice in a row, and the other one not shown at all.

Yup. Same here, Fred, in a corporation which outsourced my job overseas.

As Westbrook Van Voorhis used to say: Time marches on.

Yup. Same here, Fred, in a corporation which outsourced my job overseas.

As Westbrook Van Voorhis used to say: Time marches on.

Yep. It reminds me of that movie, Soylent Green (1973). Some day, food will be people over 55. That is, people over 55 will become canned food. Dog food first, then people food later.

• Like 1

On Tuesday morning, CNN employees -- and those at other Turner Broadcasting networks such as TNT, TBS, and HLN -- were informed that staff over 55 years old or with the company for 10 or more years were eligible for a buyout. In a memo obtained by HuffPost, Turner indicated there will be "additional reductions in staff," presumably layoffs, in addition to the voluntary buyouts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/26/cnn-buyouts-layoffs_n_5715795.html

Are RO and Ben considered "employees"? Is it "buyout" time for RO?

• Like 1

Re: Ted Turner's statement, when did he make the statement?  Also, he is no longer there.  Jane Fonda is no longer his wife either.

Regardless, all things are relative.  Most states classify "antique" cars as those that are 25 years old or older. That means cars made in 1989 are now "antiques," although many in classic car hobby would disagree with that.

So "classic" movies would also change as time moved on.  Not showing anything after 1970 would mean TCM would be severely limited to having to show the same movies over and over and over and over.  Oh, they do that already!

Re: Ted Turner's statement, when did he make the statement?  Also, he is no longer there.  Jane Fonda is no longer his wife either.

Regardless, all things are relative.  Most states classify "antique" cars as those that are 25 years old or older. That means cars made in 1989 are now "antiques," although many in classic car hobby would disagree with that.

So "classic" movies would also change as time moved on.  Not showing anything after 1970 would mean TCM would be severely limited to having to show the same movies over and over and over and over.  Oh, they do that already!

From a business point of view, refusing to show movies after 1970, even as the years pass, is business suicide.

• Like 1

That's why TCM should break off into two stations.

One that is classic.

The other to show all the junk that it now does. Except when it shows the classically classic stuff.

• Like 1

Get rid of the old people, no wonder everything is going down a rat hole, lol. PIMCO just got rid of Bill Gross who is 70 and it cost them $25 billion in assets already.

YEAH! And that SAME thing happened recently at PIMPCO too!

(...and after they laid-off every procurer who became eligible for AARP benefits!)

Well, not exactly. :) But he didn't show very many films from the 60s and 70s. Very few. See obrienmundy's list.

Actually according to obrienmundy's list TCM aired 14 post-1960 films during its first 11 days on the air . . . which is about the same amount currently shown.

LOL!!!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings