JANUARY SCHEDULE IS UP

The highlights of the schedule for me are:

The Marx Brothers marathon on January 1

CHARADE (1963) on January 4

A night of Jean Arthur on January 5

THE STING (1973) on January 6

ANNIE HALL (1977) on January 11

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) on January 18

THE CANDIDATE (1972) on January 27, which I had hoped would be included in the Melvyn Douglas SOTM festival last month

A night of Richard Attenborough on January 28

The TCM premiere of COUNSELLOR AT LAW (1933) on January 31

The highlights of the schedule for me are:

The Marx Brothers marathon on January 1

CHARADE (1963) on January 4

A night of Jean Arthur on January 5

THE STING (1973) on January 6

ANNIE HALL (1977) on January 11

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) on January 18

THE CANDIDATE (1972) on January 27, which I had hoped would be included in the Melvyn Douglas SOTM festival last month

A night of Richard Attenborough on January 28

The TCM premiere of COUNSELLOR AT LAW (1933) on January 31

A night of Jean Arthur is THE highlight for me.     Just love that gal. 

Jan 1

-Torch Song, even though I've heard this film was a mess, I kind of want to see it;

-Deadringer and The Nanny with Bette Davis.  I love the latter half of her career when many of her roles involve her being bats*it crazy. 

-The Marx Brothers marathon is a great idea for New Years Day. I own all the Marx Brothers films; but I may watch parts of this one anyway.  I love A Night at the Opera.  I also like Room Service as it features a young Lucille Ball.

Jan 4

-Charade & Arabesque

Jan 5

-Jean Arthur evening.  Thanks to jamesjazzguitar, I can't get enough Jean Arthur either!

Jan 9

-Too Much, Too Soon, an Errol Flynn film I haven't seen yet!

Jan 10

-Fritz Lang film noirs: Ministry of Fear and The Blue Gardenia

Jan 13

Robert Redford SOTM evening: This Property is Condemned (I love Natalie Wood); and Barefoot in the Park (although I think this is on Netflix Instant right now).

Jan 14

-The Lady From Shanghai, I've seen this movie like 3 times; but I can't get enough of it.

Jan 20

-A Face in the Crowd, I've seen this movie once and loved it; I'd love to watch it again

Jan 22

-Debbie Reynolds SAG Lifetime Achivement evening marathon

Jan 24

-Poseidon Adventure (1972) & The Spirit of St. Louis

Jan 25

-Burt Lancaster & Tony Curtis

I'm sure I'll find more to watch; but January looks like it'll be a great month!

http://www.tcm.com/s...sdate=2015-1-01

All I'm seeing when I click on that link is 31 big blank dates, like this:

1 Thursday 2 Friday 3 Saturday 4 Sunday 5 Monday 6 Tuesday 7 Wednesday

and so on....

I had that problem too.  The link worked earlier today, as I saw part of the schedule at work; but by the time I got home a couple hours later to actually look at it, the link showed the blank screen.

I was able to access the schedule by going to the TCM homepage, clicking on the "Full TCM Schedule" link and then the "Weekly Schedule" link and changing the dates in the address bar to 2015-01-01. 

I'm pleased that two of the three Carry on movies are new to TCM: Carry on Cruising and Carry on Jack. It would be nice if they got Jim Dale to introduce the latter and talk about the series in general Also happy to see the Bunuel films; and Anthony Adverse is always welcome.

Since TCM loves to show The Lion in Winter, it would be great, just once, if they got the director, Anthony Harvey, to introduce it.  He lives near NYC, and I know he would be willing. Director Whit Stillman introducing his films were a highly of September for me. I wish TCM would focus on that sort of intro, instead of punter celebrities selecting and talking about films they like. 

• Like 1

speedracer5

Posted Today, 01:28 AM

http://www.tcm.com/s...sdate=2015-1-01

All I'm seeing when I click on that link is 31 big blank dates, like this:

1 Thursday 2 Friday 3 Saturday 4 Sunday 5 Monday 6 Tuesday 7 Wednesday

and so on....

I had that problem too.  The link worked earlier today, as I saw part of the schedule at work; but by the time I got home a couple hours later to actually look at it, the link showed the blank screen.

I was able to access the schedule by going to the TCM homepage, clicking on the "Full TCM Schedule" link and then the "Weekly Schedule" link and changing the dates in the address bar to 2015-01-01.

Thanks, that worked, though you have to enter five separate weeks to get the full January schedule.

But the weird thing is, every day begins with two hours of Winsor McCay cartoons!

Right on New Year's Day, here's a great midday four-pack of Joan and Bette movies that make a perfect combination, and will make you wonder how much they could have gotten renting themselves out for Hallowe'en parties.  They're scarier than the thought of Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont galavanting at a nudist camp!

12:45 PM
93 min
horror

Murder follows an axe murderer home when she's released from a mental hospital.

DirWilliam Castle CastJoan Crawford , Diane Baker , Leif Erickson .

2:30 PM
116 min
suspense

A woman murders her rich twin and tries to take her place.

DirPaul Henreid CastBette Davis , Karl Malden , Peter Lawford .

4:30 PM
C- 96 min
suspense
Berserk (1967)

A lady ringmaster milks the publicity from a string of murders.

DirJim O'Connolly CastJoan Crawford , Ty Hardin , Diana Dors .

6:15 PM
93 min
horror
Nanny, The (1965)

A disturbed young man tries to prove his nanny is out to kill him.

DirSeth Holt CastBette Davis , Wendy Craig , Jill Bennett .

Right on New Year's Day, here's a great midday four-pack of Joan and Bette movies that make a perfect combination, and will make you wonder how much they could have gotten renting themselves out for Hallowe'en parties.  They're scarier than the thought of Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont galavanting at a nudist camp!

I'm not pleased about this. I'll tell you why. First, with the exception of THE NANNY, all these titles are overplayed. If they have to put these on air right out of the gate, it may give some indication of the repetitious nature of programming we are in store for in 2015 (especially if the latest budget cuts at Turner have an impact on acquiring titles outside the Turner Library).

Next, the programmers are lauded for their occasional creativity, but this does not seem to support that notion. Let's face it, anyone can program a stew of Davis-Crawford in their sleep. I do not see anything very original about this, not even the split personality nature of Bette now Joan now Bette now Joan again.  

This proves to me that they are interested in scheduling superstar household names over equally talented, much more neglected stars. Wouldn't it have been nice instead to have a batch of Dorothy Lamour films or Betty Hutton films? We can watch the Davis-Crawford career decline campfest any old day.  I am going to give it a thumbs down.

A night of Jean Arthur is THE highlight for me.     Just love that gal. 

The Jean Arthur selections come from the Overplayed Hall of Fame. There are several other of her Columbia classics that could have been dusted off instead. I can't remember the last time THE IMPATIENT YEARS aired. How about ADVENTURE IN MANHATTAN with Joel McCrea or MORE THAN A SECRETARY with George Brent? Instead, it's the most well-known Arthur at Columbia titles, showing that the programmers are not really stretching their programming muscles this go round.

Never mind, here's the highlight film for January. When was the last time we saw this on TCM?

Sunday, January 04, 2015
10:15 AM
88 min
suspense

A man tries to save his fickle ex-wife from her criminal lover.

Dir: Robert Siodmak Cast:  Burt Lancaster , Yvonne De Carlo , Dan Duryea .

Yes, that seems a little suspicious to me-- why wouldn't a major noir, from Universal no less, be shown in primetime? Instead, it's been dumped into a morning slot between Beatrice Lillie and Ginger Rogers. I would expect it to be a cheap print, leftover from the days of network television syndication. If it was a new print (meaning TCM was shelling out the bucks for it), it would be given a plum primetime spot on the schedule.  

TopBilled

Posted Today, 10:42 AM

I'm not pleased about this. I'll tell you why. First, with the exception of THE NANNY, all these titles are overplayed. If they have to put these on air right out of the gate, it may give some indication of the repetitious nature of programming we are in store for in 2015 (especially if the latest budget cuts at Turner have an impact on acquiring titles outside the Turner Library).

Next, the programmers are lauded for their occasional creativity, but this does not seem to support that notion. Let's face it, anyone can program a stew of Davis-Crawford in their sleep. I do not see anything very original about this, not even the split personality nature of Bette now Joan now Bette now Joan again.  

This proves to me that they are interested in scheduling superstar household names over equally talented, much more neglected stars. Wouldn't it have been nice instead to have a batch of Dorothy Lamour films or Betty Hutton films? We can watch the Davis-Crawford career decline campfest any old day.  I am going to give it a thumbs down.

As a generic point about repeats, I can't argue with what you're saying, though I can think of a hundred, and maybe a thousand better substitutions than Dorothy Lamour or Betty Hutton.  But if you're going to talk about overexposure, try the 8 hour bloc of Marx Brothers movies that follow in Joan and Bette's wake.  When it comes to the Marx Brothers, I think of Groucho's apocryphal line on You Bet Your Life about babies and cigars.  If you're going to show 8 straight hours of comedies that we never see on TCM, give us Fernandel or Eddie Murphy.

OTOH within the realm of repeats, those four Crawford/Davis films are gems, and I'd take them any day over the Marx Brothers or pretty much any "family fare" movies that saturate the usual TCM lineup.  But then we all know that this is all just a matter of O.P.I.N.I.O.N., and there are no "correct" answers to any of this. :)

• Like 2

Yes, that seems a little suspicious to me-- why wouldn't a major noir [Criss Cross], from Universal no less, be shown in primetime? Instead, i's been dumped into a morning slot between Beatrice Lillie and Ginger Rogers. I would expect it to be a cheap print, leftover from the days of network television syndication. If it was a new print (meaning TCM was shelling out the bucks for it), it would be given a plum primetime spot on the schedule.  

You're probably right, and I hadn't thought of that.  OTOH I know that there's going to be at least one TCM viewer who's going to have his DVD recorder set to run that morning!

You're probably right, and I hadn't thought of that.  OTOH I know that there's going to be at least one TCM viewer who's going to have his DVD recorder set to run that morning!

Well, this title is out on DVD and Universal did a nice job of cleaning it up. I would suggest that anyone who subscribes to Netflix or Classicflix check it out. There is no need to wait till January for this one, especially if it's going to be an old syndication print.

The other problem I have with the Davis-Crawford programming is that it implies their careers were intertwined and reflected one another. They only acted together in one film. What is happening here is they (the programmers) are relying on talk of the actresses' off-screen rivalry, which again gets us away from the films themselves and into the world of Hollywood Babylon--gossip gossip and more gossip.

The programmers seem obsessed about Bette's feuds with Miriam Hopkins and Joan Crawford, instead of her work as an individual artist.

OTOH within the realm of repeats, those four Crawford/Davis films are gems, and I'd take them any day over the Marx Brothers or pretty much any "family fare" movies that saturate the usual TCM lineup.  But then we all know that this is all just a matter of O.P.I.N.I.O.N., and there are no "correct" answers to any of this. :)

I think you are giving them a free pass on this one. LOL  Personally, I think they need to cut down on the Davis & Crawford overexposure. And like you said, the Marx Brothers' ongoing marathon. Those titles are all out on home video and they have seen many broadcast hours on TCM. Time for something more obscure (but still classic) to hit the airwaves around here.  

The Jean Arthur selections come from the Overplayed Hall of Fame. There are several other of her Columbia classics that could have been dusted off instead. I can't remember the last time THE IMPATIENT YEARS aired. How about ADVENTURE IN MANHATTAN with Joel McCrea or MORE THAN A SECRETARY with George Brent? Instead, it's the most well-known Arthur at Columbia titles, showing that the programmers are not really stretching their programming muscles this go round.

I wondered what actual Arthur films TCM would show and I was concerned they would be the same type of 'hall of fame' movies like The More the Merrier,   Mr Smith,   Deeds, etc...       Yea,  I love these movies but I have seen them multiple times.

So yea,  I wish TCM would show some of her 'hidden' Columbia classics instead.    

As for Chris Cross;   This is a first rate noir and it should be shown around 10:00 PM EDT instead of during the day.  

I view the feedback you have here as solid and well intented.    Hopefully TCM will listen! 

• Like 1

The other problem I have with the Davis-Crawford programming is that it implies their careers were intertwined and reflected one another. They only acted together in one film. What is happening here is they (the programmers) are relying on talk of the actresses' off-screen rivalry, which again gets us away from the films themselves and into the world of Hollywood Babylon--gossip gossip and more gossip.

That may be part of it, but the four films under consideration are all from the "classic" (to me, anyway) 1960's horror / suspense genre, and as such it makes for a combination that's every bit as logical as a quartet (for instance) "road" movies, or movies centered around the color green.  And given that both Crawford and Davis were choosing a path that few other leading ladies had ever traveled, to me that makes these four titles even more interesting a mix.

I think you are giving them a free pass on this one. LOL  Personally, I think they need to cut down on the Davis & Crawford overexposure. And like you said, the Marx Brothers' ongoing marathon. Those titles are all out on home video and they have seen many broadcast hours on TCM. Time for something more obscure (but still classic) to hit the airwaves around here.

Again, when it comes to the general topic of overexposure, I'm in complete agreement with you and many others.  The January schedule is but the latest one that would seem a hundred times more exciting if I were just discovering TCM for the first time, whereas now it's pretty much only the silent and foreign films, along with the occasional premieres of cartoons / B-noirs / etc, that make me want to watch.  The truth is that with a tiny handful of exceptions, there are only so many times I can watch even the most "classic" of movies during the course of a relatively short time frame.  It almost makes me wish for a dose of high grade amnesia so that every movie will always seem "new".

• Like 1

Can somebody provide a link to the Jan 2015 schedule? Thanks---

There's no one-stop link, but here was speedracer5's suggestion, which worked for me:

I think it's been awhile since DEAD RINGER was on the schedule.

It was used for Karl Malden's SOTM tribute. It was used for Paul Henried's SOTM tribute (he directed it). It aired on a morning devoted to Peter Lawford films. It also showed up two other times in the past year when they were scheduling films about twins. And there was another occasion when they aired it back to back with A STOLEN LIFE, as part of a Bette Times Two sort of double feature. It is definitely overplayed. If they do a Jean Hagen spotlight, we will see it again. LOL

It was used for Karl Malden's SOTM tribute. It was used for Paul Henried's SOTM tribute (he directed it). It aired on a morning devoted to Peter Lawford films. It also showed up two other times in the past year when they were scheduling films about twins. And there was another occasion when they aired it back to back with A STOLEN LIFE, as part of a Bette Times Two sort of double feature. It is definitely overplayed. If they do a Jean Hagen spotlight, we will see it again. LOL

LOL. They must have a good rental agreement on  it. I could do w/out Berserk too. At least Ringer is entertaining......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings