THE WAY WE WERE (1973), with Barbra Streisand
THE GREAT GATSBY (1974), with Mia Farrow

January 27
THE CANDIDATE (1972), with Melvyn Douglas
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (1976), with Dustin Hoffman
THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (1975), with Faye Dunaway
DOWNHILL RACER (1969), with Gene Hackman

• Like 1

Very surprising choice! I do like surprises, but I'm not so familiar with his work and will have to let others comment on the selections. I do know that he is just as busy behind the camera as in front of it; are they going to reflect that side of his work, also?

By the way, is this the first time they've chosen an actor whose debut didn't occur 'til the 60's?

I've seen THE HOT ROCK several times, TopBilled.  Redford and Segal made a surprisingly good team.  (Remember:  "Afghanistan, Bananastan!").  I've watched THE GREAT GATSBY one time and that's plenty.  Ugh!  Watching 2 hours of minesweeping by a naval destroyer would be more edifying than watching "THE GREAT GATSBY" again.  I would've replaced 'GATSBY' with THE HOT ROCK or any of the movies below.   

I know TCM can't show everything so here's a few other Robert Redford movies to note:

TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE (1969)

LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSY (1970)

GREAT WALDO PEPPER, The (1975)

ELECTRIC HORSEMAN, The (1978)

ORDINARY PEOPLE (1980) ► Redford as director only

BRUBAKER (1980)

• Like 1

I've seen THE HOT ROCK several times, TopBilled.  Redford and Segal made a surprisingly good team.  (Remember:  "Afghanistan, Bananastan!").  I've watched THE GREAT GATSBY one time and that's plenty.  Ugh!  Watching 2 hours of minesweeping by a naval destroyer would be more edifying than watching "THE GREAT GATSBY" again.  I would've replaced 'GATSBY' with THE HOT ROCK or any of the movies below.   

I know TCM can't show everything so here's a few other Robert Redford movies to note:

TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE (1969)

LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSY (1970)

GREAT WALDO PEPPER, The (1975)

ELECTRIC HORSEMAN, The (1978)

ORDINARY PEOPLE (1980) ► Redford as director only

BRUBAKER (1980)

Yes-- I like BRUBAKER. And we mustn't forget THE NATURAL, a quintessential Redford in the 80s.

I think Redford is an excellent choice.   I am definitely looking forward to January.    I have been quite pleased with several of the SOTM choices in the past year:  Crawford in January, Douglas in September, Grant in December and now Redford in January.    Well done TCM.     

And we mustn't forget THE NATURAL, a quintessential Redford in the 80s.

Yes, THE NATURAL is a great movie.

It's not part of Redford's Star of the Month tribute, but it does show up on the TCM schedule from time to time.

I read that Redford was Streisand's first choice for the role played by Nick Nolte in THE PRINCE OF TIDES.

Yes, THE NATURAL is a great movie.

It's not part of Redford's Star of the Month tribute, but it does show up on the TCM schedule from time to time.

I read that Redford was Streisand's first choice for the role played by Nick Nolte in THE PRINCE OF TIDES.

He had hits and misses in the 80s. Among them were THE NATURAL (hit); LEGAL EAGLES (miss); OUT OF AFRICA (hit); and THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, which he directed (not a hit with audiences but a hit with critics).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings