Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great names of cinematic history

Richard Kimble

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_'76_(1917_film)

The Spirit of '76 (1917) was a controversial silent film, directed by Frank Montgomery, that depicted both factual and fictional events during the American Revolutionary War. No prints are known to survive, and it is therefore categorized as a lost film.

The Spirit of '76 depicted multiple atrocities committed by the British side during the war, including soldiers bayoneting babies and **** unarmed women, the Wyoming massacre, and the Cherry Valley massacre. It also contained scenes with no known factual basis, such as a physical assault on Benjamin Franklin by King George III, and a sexual liaison between the king and Catherine Montour — possibly based on his supposed (and equally fictitious) relationship with Hannah Lightfoot.

The film premiered in Chicago in May 1917 — just one month after the United States entered World War I on the side of Britain. The head of Chicago's police censorship board, Metallus Lucullus Cicero Funkhouser, confiscated the film at the behest of the Justice department on grounds that it generated hostility toward Britain.

• 4 months later...

Overheard during the casting phase of the 1980s CBS TV series "The Equalizer"...

Producer: "So who do you think would be good in this series' lead role?"

Casting Director: "Edward Woodward would."

Edward-Woodward-Photograph-C10048353.jpe

(...yeah, say THAT three times fast in a row, HUH?!...kind'a makes that whole "Moses Supposes" thing a real cakewalk by comparison, now doesn't it?!) ;)

Evans Evans

Gonzalez Gonzalez (he was billed this way occasionally)

Glen Glenn (yes, that is the correct spelling)

Evan Evans to correct the typo.  She was very good in Bonnie and Clyde and The iceman Cometh.

These may not be grand winners, but they are fun:

Geraldine Fitzgerald is kind of silly.  

I always thought Hobart Henley had a nice ring to it.  

Love ZaSu Pitts.

Megs Jenkins.

Tallulah Bankhead is a great name too.  We've grown accustomed to it though as she was so famous.

Swoosie Kurtz

Tempe Pigott

Googie Withers

Meat Loaf Aday

Fortunio Bonanova

Harry Carey

Benedict Cumberbatch is a bit of a mouthful

and it takes some courage to announce oneself to the world as Zero Mostel

I've often joked about some of this stuff

The NAMES in old Hollywood you never HEAR in the "biz" too much anymore.

Like:

MYRNA Loy---(anyone out there KNOW anyone by that name personally?  Have ANY relatives or friends who've tagged that moniker on some poor kid?)

Speaking of which,

comic Corbett MONICA( does HE have a sister named HAR?)

GREER Garson

Of course, Tallullah

I'd sometimmes PUN it up---celebrities with names of countries---

FRANCE Nuyen?

CHAD Everett?

CANADA Lee?

And, last but not least( but VERY punny!)

CICELY Tyson!  ;)

I suppose in more recent times, the only CLOSE to an "old Hollywood" name I can come up with is:

MERYL Streep!

And, don't ANY mothers name their sons FRANCHOT any more?  :(

Sepiatone

....Gonzalez Gonzalez (he was billed this way occasionally)...

Hey Doc. Remember how Senor G-G made a name for himself and garnered his first shot at fame? It was as a guest on "You Bet Your Life" and when he became a big hit by dueling quips with Groucho.

The one I always remember most is when after being impressed with G-G's ability to get laughs, Groucho says, "You know, we could be a big success together in Vaudeville. And so, what do you think we should name our act?"

G-G replied, "We could call it 'Gonzalez-Gonzalez and Marx'", and to which Groucho responded, "How do ya like that?! There's only two guys in our act and I get third billing!"

It's fun to say Benecio Del Toro.

Especially if you say it in a Ricardo Montalban impression - kinda like what Eugene Levy used to do on SCTV.

Yes, "Ben ee chio Del Toro", I've always enjoyed saying that actor's name.

And in fact, "Ricardo Montalban" is also a fun name to say.

I haven't read this whole thread yet...has anyone mentioned "Ida Lupino"? Say it 3 times really fast and you'll be dizzy.

I've often joked about some of this stuff

The NAMES in old Hollywood you never HEAR in the "biz" too much anymore.

Like:

MYRNA Loy---(anyone out there KNOW anyone by that name personally?  Have ANY relatives or friends who've tagged that moniker on some poor kid?)

Speaking of which,

comic Corbett MONICA( does HE have a sister named HAR?)

GREER Garson

Of course, Tallullah

I'd sometimmes PUN it up---celebrities with names of countries---

FRANCE Nuyen?

CHAD Everett?

CANADA Lee?

And, last but not least( but VERY punny!)

CICELY Tyson!  ;)

I suppose in more recent times, the only CLOSE to an "old Hollywood" name I can come up with is:

MERYL Streep!

And, don't ANY mothers name their sons FRANCHOT any more?  :(

Sepiatone

You find "Myrna" to be a laughable name? I don't get it.

You find "Myrna" to be a laughable name? I don't get it.

You certainly DON'T, as I NEVER SAID I found it laughable, just unusual.  The impeccable MS. LOY is the only woman I've seen or even HEARD of with that name.

What I USED to joke about was the amount of unusual names Hollywood used to grind out that's dried up in recent times.  Names women would have that just seem unusual and odd these days.  LIKE "Myrna", or, "GREER",  or "TALLULLAH", and HOW many "Hedy's" do YOU personally know? (and those names even seemed unusual for THOSE times!)

And, have you also ever met a GUY(or GIRL even!) named FRANCHOT?

Sepiatone

You certainly DON'T, as I NEVER SAID I found it laughable, just unusual.  The impeccable MS. LOY is the only woman I've seen or even HEARD of with that name.

What I USED to joke about was the amount of unusual names Hollywood used to grind out that's dried up in recent times.  Names women would have that just seem unusual and odd these days.  LIKE "Myrna", or, "GREER",  or "TALLULLAH", and HOW many "Hedy's" do YOU personally know? (and those names even seemed unusual for THOSE times!)

And, have you also ever met a GUY(or GIRL even!) named FRANCHOT?

Sepiatone

You've led a sheltered life. I've heard it a number of times.

You've led a sheltered life. I've heard it a number of times.

I agree, DGF.  I've known a few Myrnas. I have a friend in England who named one of her daughters "Tallulah;" and I had a German teacher named "Hedi -- spelled with an "i."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings