Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE LOCKET, one of the most interesting mystery films ever made

FredCDobbs

Now this is a film I do not like. I find it very belabored, very contrived. It is like they (the screenwriters) got so tripped up on being clever with the endless flashbacks within flashbacks that they forgot how to tell a simple straightforward story. 

Now this is a film I do not like. I find it very belabored, very contrived. It is like they (the screenwriters) got so tripped up on being clever with the endless flashbacks within flashbacks that they forgot how to tell a simple straightforward story. 

Hi Top,

We all go through life hearing stories like this. We often hear someone tell us a story that they witnessed part of but that other parts were told to them by someone else, and some other person told that someone else part of the story. There are many double and triple flashback stories told to us in real life.

And don't some of us marry people who we never can tell is telling us the truth or a lie about many different stories??

Fred

It is certainly a memorable noir. I love that double flashback in the film. The whole film is great from start to finish.

actually, it's a triple flashback.

The doctor first tells the husband-to-be one flashback about meeting Norman, and Norman's story.. Within that is Norman's flashback about Nancy. Within that is Nancy's flashback, told to Norman, about being a child with the locket. That's three flashbacks within the doctor's full story.

Hi Top,

We all go through life hearing stories like this. We often hear someone tell us a story that they witnessed part of but that other parts were told to them by someone else, and some other person told that someone else part of the story. There are many double and triple flashback stories told to us in real life.

And don't some of us marry people who we never can tell is telling us the truth or a lie about many different stories??

Fred

Good points. Good food for thought...thanks.

TopBilled,

I'll have to admit, that I had to see this film about 5 or 6 times before I finally began to understand all of it.

It is a little complicated for just a one-time viewing. It was only after I began to understand all of it that I began to realize how brilliant it is.

The acting is not only good, but the screenplay is brilliant, and the director did a fantastic job. It was he who told the actors what expressions to have and at what times, and when to roll their eyes, and look mad, suspicious, paranoid, etc. so the Director was very very good with directing some very good actors in a very good screenplay. That makes this something of a very unique film, and it doesn't copy any other film that I know of.

I'm afraid that the Academy Award voters just didn't fully understand it with just one viewing, thus no awards for it.

THREE FACES OF EVE was very good too, but it had a narration track that explained to the audience all the odd things that were going on with the 3-personalities in that film.

Fred

:)

• Like 3

Yes, Laraine Day is fantastic.

I am glad to see others recognize this movie.  I don't think Leonard Matlin liked it...but who cares as I don't particularly like his reviews.  I think Laraine Day is a very underrated actor as she was also quite good in Foreign Correspondent.  Maybe everyone was duped about her skills by equating her with the Dr. Kildare series. 

However I love this movie and enjoy watching it when it comes on, as it is one of the few that are not "repeated to death".  Thanks for starting the thread. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings