Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why was the trailer for Dr. Strangelove never shown?

DVDPhreak

As TCM viewers know, the station usually promotes upcoming movie broadcasts by showing the original trailers of the films.  "Dr. Strangelove" was shown last month, and yet its trailer was never shown.  The promo for the movie was simply a TCM-made, generic-looking, and short TV spot.  As many of you know, Dr. Strangelove has probably one the most memorable trailers ever made:

So why didn't TCM show it??

Some, but by no means all, trailers get shown. I don't know how TCM decides which films' trailers they're going to show and which they aren't. I'd have guessed that MGM/WB/RKO movies would be more likely to have the trailers show up, but I've seen more than enough trailers for movies from other studios to conclude that there's no pattern.

And I think the Dr. Strangleove trailer has been shown for earlier airings.

• Like 1

Some, but by no means all, trailers get shown. I don't know how TCM decides which films' trailers they're going to show and which they aren't. I'd have guessed that MGM/WB/RKO movies would be more likely to have the trailers show up, but I've seen more than enough trailers for movies from other studios to conclude that there's no pattern.

And I think the Dr. Strangleove trailer has been shown for earlier airings.

I remember seeing the trailer at least a few times before this last airing.

Though have wondered about the choices of aired trailers also. They seem to have a gazillion in their database, but only pick on a few, and never the rarely shown films. Wonder if they have to pay a fee to air them, or what?

:unsure:

It does seem as though only the movies airing in the evening theme hours (ie. 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM) get their trailers shown, not movies running during the daytime. Beyond that I've never noticed any pattern.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings