Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holiday Affair

NipkowDisc

every time tcm shows it I come in at the middle or torwards the end. an utterly charming film. I think the more and more it is seen the more and more it's gonna take on a classic status like that there...uh what's the name of that Capra film? :lol: whenever I see it I become more and more impressed. I think it's better than that there Capra film.

syrosh.jpg

every time tcm shows it I come in at the middle or torwards the end. an utterly charming film. I think the more and more it is seen the more and more it's gonna take on a classic status like that there...uh what's the name of that Capra film? :lol:  whenever I see it I become more and more impressed. I think it's better than that there Capra film.

syrosh.jpg

I like this movie but Wendell Corey is really a dud.   It isn't just his screen persona and the 'what would a gal like Janet find to love in such guy' factor,   but how his character just appears so uninterested in the fact he is losing a gal like Janet.  

Of course the producers wouldn't have wanted to cast an actor with the same sex appeal as MItchum but at least cast someone that could put up some type of fight and had some personality.    

I like this movie but Wendell Corey is really a dud.   It isn't just his screen persona and the 'what would a gal like Janet find to love in such guy' factor,   but how his character just appears so uninterested in the fact he is losing a gal like Janet.  

Of course the producers wouldn't have wanted to cast an actor with the same sex appeal as MItchum but at least cast someone that could put up some type of fight and had some personality.    

It seems poor Mr. Corey is getting a lot of "bad press" around here lately, and so, being the "contrarian" that I am AND always thinking that Mr. Corey is not only very well cast in this film but also delivers his performance in very good form as the "safe choice" for Janet Leigh's widow character, I will dissent from this opinion of yours, James.

(...and while I too seem to like this film the more I watch it around the holiday season, I seriously doubt this film is as "good" or will ever be considered on a par with that story about George Bailey's life)

It seems poor Mr. Corey is getting a lot of "bad press" around here lately, and so, being the "contrarian" that I am AND always thinking that Mr. Corey is not only very well cast in this film but also delivers his performance in very good form as the "safe choice" for Janet Leigh's widow character, I will dissent from this opinion of yours, James.

(...and while I too seem to like this film the more I watch it around the holiday season, I seriously doubt this film is as "good" or will ever be considered on a par with that story about George Bailey's life)

Yes,  part of the plot is that Janet's character still isn't over the death of her husband and so she picks a safe choice; someone that she doesn't have much (if any) sexual chemistry with as a way to still honor her husband so to speak.   In that regards one could say Corey was perfect for the part but to me the casting overplays it's hand in this regard.     Corey is just too bland.    Note that I wasn't knocking Corey's performance.   I assume he gave the director exactly what he asked for.     So I'm playing the 'if I was a producer' game here.  If someone was cast that could convey just a little more spark it would have added more energy to the film,  but hey I could be wrong.

I do realize that I'm looking at this from my own angle.    Janet was just too hot for a man like Corey!

every time tcm shows it I come in at the middle or torwards the end. an utterly charming film. I think the more and more it is seen the more and more it's gonna take on a classic status like that there...uh what's the name of that Capra film? :lol: whenever I see it I become more and more impressed. I think it's better than that there Capra film.

syrosh.jpg

It's available on DVD from several sources and fairly cheaply.  Bought it years ago and play it at least twice during the Christmas season.  Still enjoy it as it is much better than most give it credit for.   As for Corey, he is playing the role as written and directed and doing an excellent job of it.

TCM, just like a department store--they start thinking early about Christmas.

This is an old plot device--one woman, two men, one of whom is safe and secure,

the other on the wild and/or eccentric side. Somebody had to play the respectable

schnook and Corey did a good job of it. At least he realized, at the end of the

flick, that Janet didn't really love him and he let go, instead of being a clueless

creep who kept hanging around.

Does Wendell Corey EVER get the girl? :)

I haven't seen all his films, but I'm guessing it wasn't very often. Wendell even looks

like the guy who always comes up short. At least he got a break in Rear Window.

He was married so he didn't have to worry about not getting Grace Kelly.

Yes,  he always comes up short.   e.g. In Desert Fury he fails to hook the one he loves yet again,  but in this case it is John Hodiak.   

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings