• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rick2400

Fred MacMurray

Sepiatone

Sepia,

Do you have anything to add about Fred MacMurray? Like what are your favorite films of his maybe...?

Back to Fred- 2 of my favorite Fred films will be on in Dec. on TCM -  REMEMBER THE NIGHT will be shown Dec 4 @ 8pm and THE APARTMENT will be shown Dec 19 @ 5:45 pm. Doesn't get much better than that  :)

Back to Fred- 2 of my favorite Fred films will be on in Dec. on TCM -  REMEMBER THE NIGHT will be shown Dec 4 @ 8pm and THE APARTMENT will be shown Dec 19 @ 5:45 pm. Doesn't get much better than that  :)

Good job. Thanks for bringing us back on topic. REMEMBER THE NIGHT is my third-favorite Fred MacMurray film. It was the first of four with Stanwyck, and actually I love all their pairings-- even THE MOONLIGHTER. 

• Like 1

Yep, especially the latter one, which is my SECOND favorite movie of all time!

(...sorry DGF...though I WILL say that it IS a very close second to "The Best Years of Our Lives" in my book) ;)

• Like 2

Good job. Thanks for bringing us back on topic. REMEMBER THE NIGHT is my third-favorite Fred MacMurray film. It was the first of four with Stanwyck, and actually I love all their pairings-- even THE MOONLIGHTER. 

I like THE MOONLIGHTER , especially the waterfall scene, but I'm a sucker for Stanwyck and I love her in westerns. Stanwyck and MacMurray were a great pairing. Their chemistry comes across in all the films they made together and I think their mutual admiration and respect for each other comes thru.

REMEMBER THE NIGHT is just a beautiful, touching film. Fred really was versatile and underated. Most tend to think of him as just this conservative, one note actor. So untrue, he was so good equally in dramas and comedies. So glad that TCM allows us the opportunity to see him in all genres. Whether he's the good guy, the bad guy or in between, he's been in some truly memorable great films and his presence in those films makes them that much better :)

• Like 1

Yep, especially the latter one, which is my SECOND favorite movie of all time!

(...sorry DGF...though I WILL say that it IS a very close second to "The Best Years of Our Lives" in my book) ;)

Yes I agree :)THE APARTMENT has always been a favorite in my family. It was probably one of three of my mom's favorite films and we use to talk about the film. (although it probably had more to do with her Love of Jack Lemmon than anything else)

(I also have to agree with THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES on my list of 10 favs of all time) but back to Fred..

Billy Wilder and MacMurray were such a great combo (just as Jack Lemmon and  Billy Wilder were)

I like THE MOONLIGHTER , especially the waterfall scene, but I'm a sucker for Stanwyck and I love her in westerns. Stanwyck and MacMurray were a great pairing. Their chemistry comes across in all the films they made together and I think their mutual admiration and respect for each other comes thru.

REMEMBER THE NIGHT is just a beautiful, touching film. Fred really was versatile and underated. Most tend to think of him as just this conservative, one note actor. So untrue, he was so good equally in dramas and comedies. So glad that TCM allows us the opportunity to see him in all genres. Whether he's the good guy, the bad guy or in between, he's been in some truly memorable great films and his presence in those films makes them that much better :)

He was very good, for me, he just didn't always get handed the writing and chemistry that would have endeared him to me.

I found him PERFECT, P.E.R.F.E.C.T. perfect in Double Indemnity. Not a note out of place, not a minute wasted. My teeth itch when I see Crawford or Davis or Hepburn (hold your calls and letters, I know you all love them), so pairing Fred or Cary or any of my other faves with them is a sacrilege. I adored the old 1930s pre-codes with my faves and unknown brilliant glorious actors like Ann Harding. I even liked my faves with the aforementioned teeth itchers, before Crawford was CRAWFORD and Davis was DAVIS. What a diff.

Then they found out what they did best, and did it over and over and over again. And droned on and on about those calla lilies, while those with more talent looked on.

Fred was good in The Egg and I, with Colbert. He was again good with her in No Time For Love, which is so seldom shown. I look forward to seeing Remember The Night again. Fred was very good, lavenderblue, but I never found him to possess SAAM in anything other than Double Indemnity. He positively sizzled in that movie.

Billy Wilder and MacMurray were such a great combo (just as Jack Lemmon and  Billy Wilder were)

I recall somebody around here within the last year doing a nice writeup on the working relationship between Wilder and MacMurray, lavender. I believe it might have been in some thread started about Wilder, but I can't quite recall the specifics.

Maybe somebody well versed in the search function might be able to find it.

I recall somebody around here within the last year doing a nice writeup on the working relationship between Wilder and MacMurray, lavender. I believe it might have been in some thread started about Wilder, but I can't quite recall the specifics.

Maybe somebody well versed in the search function might be able to find it.

I don't recall reading that thread and I would love to read it, so hopefully someone will remember it and bring it back up.

Anything Billy Wilder is a favorite for me. Truly brilliant man and filmaker

Anything Billy Wilder is a favorite for me. Truly brilliant man and filmaker

Can't argue with THAT, lavender.

(...though then again, what ARE the chances that I ESPECIALLY would like a screenwriter/director's stuff which often presents little "object lessons" with a twisted and pointed little comedic touch to them, EH?!) ;)

LOL

I think it's funny that ol' Fred MacMurray has generated such strong feelings here.

My take on him is this: I like him, I think he was a versatile and accomplished actor. Too bad he's associated now with "My Three Sons", more than the many fine films he was in.

Besides, of course, Double Indemnity, Fred favourites include Remember the Night, The Apartment, and The Caine Mutiny. I don't want to make a big list here, others have done better with that.

I will say, this is yet another example of how TCM has expanded my movie knowledge. Other than the above listed films (in fact, scratch Remember the Night too, I'd never seen it or even heard of it til I started receiving TCM on my cable) I knew little of Fred MacMurray's work. Thanks to our favourite tv station, I've now seen quite a few of his films.

Something I might be in the minority on, however- while I like most of the movies I've seen with Fred, and respect him as an actor, I never thought he was particularly attractive. The idea of promoting him as a "hunk" leaves me puzzled. Fred MacMurray a sexy guy? Really?

Still, who cares about that? As I said, I like him as an actor.

Wouldn't mind seeing The Egg and I. That's one I don't know.

Something I might be in the minority on, however- while I like most of the movies I've seen with Fred, and respect him as an actor, I never thought he was particularly attractive. The idea of promoting him as a "hunk" leaves me puzzled. Fred MacMurray a sexy guy? Really?

I've found that many women are attracted to what they term "big teddy bears". I believe Fred is one of those as opposed to what might be thought of as a "hunk".

I think it's funny that ol' Fred MacMurray has generated such strong feelings here.

My take on him is this: I like him, I think he was a versatile and accomplished actor. Too bad he's associated now with "My Three Sons", more than the many fine films he was in.

Besides, of course, Double Indemnity, Fred favourites include Remember the Night, The Apartment, and The Caine Mutiny. I don't want to make a big list here, others have done better with that.

I will say, this is yet another example of how TCM has expanded my movie knowledge. Other than the above listed films (in fact, scratch Remember the Night too, I'd never seen it or even heard of it til I started receiving TCM on my cable) I knew little of Fred MacMurray's work. Thanks to our favourite tv station, I've now seen quite a few of his films.

Still, who cares about that? As I said, I like him as an actor.

Wouldn't mind seeing The Egg and I. That's one I don't know.

While I don't think Fred MacMurray is ugly by any means, I wouldn't call him a hunk either.  I don't know, I feel the term "hunk" should be applied to someone whose looks are extraordinary.  Fred MacMurray just seems like an attractive (not super hot, but not ugly) nice guy.  Though, he for some reason in many of his films he's somewhat of a pushover or at least timid. Look how easily swayed he was by Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity !

I really liked his collaborations with Stanwyck and Claudette Colbert.  I just hope that my TCM is restored soon so that I don't miss too many more films. This is very frustrating. 

This place IS getting too much like Facebook!  We gotta STOP that! 

Why do you attend Facebook if you dislike it so?

Yes-- the waterfall scene in THE MOONLIGHTER is very suspenseful. I also like the first fifteen minutes where Fred is able to escape from jail-- that is a very well-done sequence. And this film benefits from the casting of Ward Bond in one of his meatier supporting roles.

I've found that many women are attracted to what they term "big teddy bears". I believe Fred is one of those as opposed to what might be thought of as a "hunk".

That Photoplay promotional piece posted earlier had Fred as a finalist for best male figure, not who's a Big Teddy Bear. That was in 1942, and it did surprise me more than a little, which is why I posted it here. Still, during the wartime period, at least, perhaps that was the public perception of him.

I certainly can't think of many, if any, film fans today who think of Fred as a "sexy guy."

I was a little surprised that someone like Victor Mature didn't make it among the finalists (in what, admittedly, may have been a magazine puff piece series just to sell their product for a few weeks). After all, I believe Mature's nickname was "The Hunk" at the time.

If there is one actor that ever rubbed me the wrong way, it's Fred MacMurray. Still can't stand the sight of him. Has it anything to do with the role he played opposite Bogart in the Caine Mutiny? Don't think so. Couldn't stand the sight of him in Double Indemnity either--what a bummer for Stanwick. Never could understand why the studio hired such a schlemiel in the first place. Same goes for Fredric March, who was a banker before he went to Hollywood. Oh, how did he get in? Same goes for Tom Ewell. Powerful, money-loaded agents. That's all. Who the heck wanted to see Ewell opposite Marilyn in the Seven Year Itch? What was the matter with Glenn Ford? He would have been perfect! Might as well have been Fredric March, or Fred MacMurray--anybody by name of "Fred".

--

Well, okay. I'll admit that Fred was perfect for the part of Sheldrake in the The Apartment, but is that because he was a good actor, or because he was Sheldrake?  Must have been some reason why he was always getting those kind of roles. If I'd known somebody with his airs and demeanor in college, I would never have left him alone in a room with my girl in it.

If there is one actor that ever rubbed me the wrong way, it's Fred MacMurray. Still can't stand the sight of him. Has it anything to do with the role he played opposite Bogart in the Caine Mutiny? Don't think so. Couldn't stand the sight of him in Double Indemnity either--what a bummer for Stanwick. Never could understand why the studio hired such a schlemiel in the first place. 

Mac the Nice just put the knife into a guy named Fred.  ;)

images7_zpsec7656a4.jpg

"Hey, what happened? Somebody just gave it to me in the gut!"

Mac the Nice just put the knife into a guy named Fred.  ;)

images7_zpsec7656a4.jpg

"Hey, what happened? Somebody just gave it to me in the gut!"

Sorry. Just a gut feeling is all. I almost said "honest feeling" but not too sure what that is!

Never could understand why the studio hired such a schlemiel in the first place... Same goes for Tom Ewell. Powerful, money-loaded agents. That's all. Who the heck wanted to see Ewell opposite Marilyn in the Seven Year Itch? What was the matter with Glenn Ford? He would have been perfect!

Glenn Ford as a schlemiel? The whole point of TSYE is that a schlemiel is getting the "chance of a lifetime", and his reaction to the situation.

If there is one actor that ever rubbed me the wrong way, it's Fred MacMurray. Still can't stand the sight of him. Has it anything to do with the role he played opposite Bogart in the Caine Mutiny? Don't think so. Couldn't stand the sight of him in Double Indemnity either--what a bummer for Stanwick. Never could understand why the studio hired such a schlemiel in the first place. Same goes for Fredric March, who was a banker before he went to Hollywood. Oh, how did he get in? Same goes for Tom Ewell. Powerful, money-loaded agents. That's all. Who the heck wanted to see Ewell opposite Marilyn in the Seven Year Itch? What was the matter with Glenn Ford? He would have been perfect! Might as well have been Fredric March, or Fred MacMurray--anybody by name of "Fred".

Can't disagree with you, Mac. AS I SAID:

He was very good, for me, he just didn't always get handed the writing and chemistry that would have endeared him to me.

I found him PERFECT, P.E.R.F.E.C.T. perfect in Double Indemnity. Not a note out of place, not a minute wasted. My teeth itch when I see Crawford or Davis or Hepburn (hold your calls and letters, I know you all love them), so pairing Fred or Cary or any of my other faves with them is a sacrilege. I adored the old 1930s pre-codes with my faves and unknown brilliant glorious actors like Ann Harding. I even liked my faves with the aforementioned teeth itchers, before Crawford was CRAWFORD and Davis was DAVIS. What a diff.

Then they found out what they did best, and did it over and over and over again. And droned on and on about those calla lilies, while those with more talent looked on.

Fred was good in The Egg and I, with Colbert. He was again good with her in No Time For Love, which is so seldom shown. I look forward to seeing Remember The Night again. Fred was very good, lavenderblue, but I never found him to possess SAAM in anything other than Double Indemnity. He positively sizzled in that movie.

Well, okay. I'll admit that Fred was perfect for the part of Sheldrake in the The Apartment, but is that because he was a good actor, or because he was Sheldrake?  Must have been some reason why he was always getting those kind of roles. If I'd known somebody with his airs and demeanor in college, I would never have left him alone in a room with my girl in it.

According to Wilder, in one scene Sheldrake was supposed to tip somebody a dollar. MacMurray, who had a real-life rep for being very cheap, said he felt uncomfortable tipping someone a dollar, and asked if he could tip a quarter instead. Wilder figured it was in character for Sheldrake tip 25c in a situation where most people would tip $1, and said OK.

While I like FM -- Double Indemnity makes that certain -- I do wish we could have seen Wilder's original choice as Sheldtake: Paul Douglas. While FM is pretty much a straight heavy (er I mean villain -- "Down goes Fraziuh!"), I think Douglas would have brought an interesting vulnerability and complexity to the role.

Unfortunately Douglas died of a heart attack shortly before filming began. He had just finished shooting a Twilight Zone episode ("The Mighty Casey") where he looked so haggard that Rod Serling threw out all his footage and reshot his scenes with Jack Warden.

Sometimes the quote program here can be a little confusing. I see that at least twice here, my name has been attached to posts I didn't make.

Not that I object to the other posts, it's just inaccurate and somewhat unfair to the people who did make them.

Sometimes the quote program here can be a little confusing. I see that at least twice here, my name has been attached to posts I didn't make.

Not that I object to the other posts, it's just inaccurate and somewhat unfair to the people who did make them.

If you're referring to my post, I'll edit your name out. The post I was quoting was indeed a little confusing, and I had to go to a bit of trouble to get your name in... lol