Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fred MacMurray

Rick2400

I like Murder He Says for its successful combination of slapstick comedy and mystery thriller (a little reminiscent of Ghost Breakers in that respect). But then, both of those films had George Marshall as director.

I'm also listing MacMurray films that I've seen and like (it is, after all, a Top Ten list, not an agenda for pushing little films no one has heard of - that can be done elsewhere).

Marshall is the director of THE FOREST RANGERS. So MacMurray worked with him several times.

I don't see anything wrong with a Top Ten list being an agenda for pushing films. After all, if someone hadn't ever pushed DOUBLE INDEMNITY, we wouldn't know about it today.

Ah, James, I see that you are an admirer of Hands Across the Table, too.

But no Murder He Says. Was that intentional or have you not seen it yet?

I have not seen Take a Letter Darling, which you included.

I have seen Murder He Says,  but I'm not really a fan of this type of comedy.   (what I call a hillbilly type).  But I am a fan of Helen Walker (e.g. Lucky Jordan,   Nightmare Alley,  The Big Combo etc..).     As was noted early in this thread,  Fred did movies with most of the major female stars of the era and our lists shows this.     

I have seen Murder He Says,  but I'm not really a fan of this type of comedy.   (what I call a hillbilly type).  But I am a fan of Helen Walker (e.g. Lucky Jordan,   Nightmare Alley,  The Big Combo etc..).     As was noted early in this thread,  Fred did movies with most of the major female stars of the era and our lists shows this.     

I just posted about Helen Walker this morning in the noir sub-forum about her work in IMPACT. She's very underrated-- a solid, good actress. MURDER, HE SAYS is the only film she made with MacMurray.

The problem is we have too many personality clashes going on around here lately. And we have people that deliberately sidetrack threads, because they are not here to discuss classic film-- they are here to waste time. 

I bet half the people who post here do not have TCM, and if they do, they barely watch it. Because if they were watching it and focusing on the films, they would be posting more about it. And that's why these message boards were created in the first place. So if Turner decides to do away with these boards, it won't be because of budget-- it will be because there is little return on the investment. 

I have to agree. The boards have been going downhill for some time. And there is little to read about film or what TCM is showing to make them worthwhile. Many old posters dont  post anymore (or very seldom) and I can see why. I dont even open most threads anymore as they arent worth reading (sorry), let alone post about.  I wouldnt be surprised if TCM gets rid of the boards.........

I have to agree. The boards have been going downhill for some time. And there is little to read about film or what TCM is showing to make them worthwhile. Many old posters dont  post anymore (or very seldom) and I can see why. I dont even open most threads anymore as they arent worth reading (sorry), let alone post about.  I wouldnt be surprised if TCM gets rid of the boards.........

Right-- because they are paying to keep these boards up. We're posting on their dime.  

It's only fair that we should be helping promote their schedules and we should be providing constructive feedback on what they could improve. That is how I see my relationship with TCM and its message board community.

Right-- because they are paying to keep these boards up. We're posting on their dime.  

It's only fair that we should be helping promote their schedules and we should be providing constructive feedback on what they could improve. That is how I see my relationship with TCM and its message board community.

There are plenty of these discussions going on, along with side trips into humor and fighting. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Very few posters want to spend ALL their time on these boards engaged in serious film discussions.... and, incidentally, anyone should have realized that my initial remark about MacMurray possibly being impaired at the age of 86, was done with my tongue squarely in cheek. LIghten up.

There are plenty of these discussions going on, along with side trips into humor and fighting. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Very few posters want to spend ALL their time on these boards engaged in serious film discussions.... and, incidentally, anyone should have realized that my initial remark about MacMurray possibly being impaired at the age of 86, was done with my tongue squarely in cheek. LIghten up.

To paraphrase lavender, Just Stop it Already (Sob)!

Seriously, just do as Topper tells you. He's the boss of what can be posted, you know. Otherwise, we'll all get another well-deserved lecture (and I'm not sure Dargo's shield of good-nature can withstand many more).

Really your comment about MacMurray possibly being impaired at age 86 was tougue squarely in cheek?   If that was the case why did you defend the comment with that post about people you know in the place where you live?   (which sounds like an over 55 type of place).   All you had to do was say it was a joke.  Instead you doubled down.     Sorry, I'm not buying it but I forgive you.   :lol:

As for ALL of their time;  I agree on that but one can go too far.    Oh well,  this is what happens in a community chat room.   This one is a lot more civil than any other one I have seen.    

I didn't mean to cause so much drama with my post.  When I wrote about MacMurray in The Caine Mutiny, the writer in me wanted to use a different word for "villain" since I'd already used the word "villian" in the same sentence.  I thought the word "heavy" and "villain" were synonymous.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  Let's not continue that discussion, please.  I'll just say this, MacMurray was the antagonist in The Caine Mutiny.  I apologize for all the drama. 

To continue discussing MacMurray, whom I think is a great actor and in my opinion, it is unfortunate that his Disney films and television show overshadows his film career.  Although, there are worse things to be known for than a collection of successful films and a long running television show. 

What I love about his performances is how his character evolves from an antagonist to a protagonist role.  A lot of that could be due to how the character is written; but MacMurray is skilled in being able to bring this character change to life.  I hope that makes sense what I'm trying to say.

One of the best examples of this is his performance in Dive Bomber.  In this film, MacMurray starts out as the antagonist to Errol Flynn's protagonist.  MacMurray, resents Flynn because he believes that Flynn is responsible for MacMurray's buddy's death.  Flynn, a doctor, spends the rest of the film trying to invent an apparatus to fight altitude sickness.  At first, MacMurray is opposed to anything Flynn is trying to do, thinking he's a hack.  Eventually he comes around and agrees to be Flynn's guinea pig in his experiments with his various experiments.  MacMurray ultimately gives up his life for the sake of Flynn's invention.  MacMurray is successful in making this attitude adjustment believable.

My favorite MacMurray performances (I'm not sure if I've seen enough to rank 10 films):

Double Indemnity

Dive Bomber

The Egg and I

Alice Adams

No Time for Love

The Apartment

There's Always Tomorrow

If I ever have TCM again (I have Dish), I look forward to seeing more of MacMurray.  I especially love his collaborations with Claudette Colbert.  I haven't seen much of him with Carole Lombard.  I'll need to seek those out as well.

I didn't mean to cause so much drama with my post.  When I wrote about MacMurray in The Caine Mutiny, the writer in me wanted to use a different word for "villain" since I'd already used the word "villian" in the same sentence.  I thought the word "heavy" and "villain" were synonymous.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  Let's not continue that discussion, please.  I'll just say this, MacMurray was the antagonist in The Caine Mutiny.  I apologize for all the drama.

Heavy and villain ARE synonymous, speedracer. You have nothing to apologize for for what occurred on this thread.

And now I'M sorry to readdress the following earlier comment made to me here, as I've been out of town all day and thus was unable to reply to the person who asked me the question below until now.

(my following earlier post was direct to TOMJH)

Hmmm...well, I suppose once Bogie does go into his crazy man act on the stand, then "Fred's spirit", in other words, his earlier armchair psychological analysis of Queeg is confirmed. Might this be your thought here?

(and then TopBilled posted the following in reply to it soon after)

Why are we off topic again? Is it that difficult to stay focused and keep a discussion on Fred MacMurray going. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Excuse me here Mr. TopBilled sir, but now I have a question for you:

Are you SO self-absorbed and/or intent on keeping as much of the discourse at this website within your own "comfort zone" and/or acting as an "ad hoc Admin", that you can not see that what Tom and I were discussing here, and before you interrupted it with this comment of yours, was about a character played by one FRED MACMURRAY and about how FRED MACMURRAY'S character in the movie "The Caine Mutiny" affected all the other characters in said movie?

Naaaah, that's alright, never mind. Don't bother answering this, because I have a very strong feeling due to past experience, any response I'll receive will be one now accusing ME of the one "being rude" and/or "further hijacking this thread" and/or some other easy "cop-out". And so, because there really seems little to no manner in which to receive any other than such a response from you when another "challenges" your "mighty opinion" and/or your apparent attempts at "administering" this website, then please, as I've said here, ignore this question.

(...and aah, speaking of "ignore", please do us all a favor here, especially me, and place me back on your ignore function once again...and thank you in advance for your kind observance of my request here)

Heavy and villain ARE synonymous, speedracer. You have nothing to apologize for for what occurred on this thread.

My sentiments exactly, they are synonymous. All that occurred was a difference of opinion. After being on these bds for as long as I have, believe me there have been much worse disagreements than this one and Tom is correct, you do not need to apologize :)

My sentiments exactly, they are synonymous. All that occurred was a difference of opinion. After being on these bds for as long as I have, believe me there have been much worse disagreements than this one and Tom is correct, you do not need to apologize :)

Some levity, from Wikipedia (I wonder how they co-opted Snidely Whiplash without giving credit to Rocky and Bullwinkle?):

A villain (also known in film and literature as the "antagonist," "baddie", "bad guy", "heavy" or "black hat") is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist (though can be the protagonist), the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is occasionally called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain). Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".[1]

220px-Villainc.svg.png

Good for you, lavender. 

tumblr_ncjsexOo4b1t0qz4qo1_5001_zps0c642

CAN'T WE  ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Hmmm...well, I suppose once Bogie does go into his crazy man act on the stand, then "Fred's spirit", in other words, his earlier armchair psychological analysis of Queeg is confirmed. Might this be your thought here?

Darned if I know what the heck I meant at the time. I said it so long ago.

But your "armchair psychologist" explanation sounds pretty good to me, Dargo, so I'll go with that one and pretend that my comment was clever.  :)

No.

Cute pic, from what movie?

MacMurray's last film with Lombard, True Confession.

It's a publicity shot. I don't recall them actually doing that in the film, though it's been a while since I saw it.

Really your comment about MacMurray possibly being impaired at age 86 was tougue squarely in cheek?   If that was the case why did you defend the comment with that post about people you know in the place where you live?   (which sounds like an over 55 type of place).   All you had to do was say it was a joke.  Instead you doubled down.     Sorry, I'm not buying it but I forgive you.   :lol:

As for ALL of their time;  I agree on that but one can go too far.    Oh well,  this is what happens in a community chat room.   This one is a lot more civil than any other one I have seen.    

Once I realized that my comment about MacMurray's age was being taken seriously, I went to my arsenal of valid defenses.

And boy is it a stinker. Had to turn it off.

Did you really dislike ABOVE SUSPICION? Maltin gives it three stars. I don't find it that bad (if you're willing to suspend disbelief that Joan can outfox the Nazis with Fred's help).

Did you really dislike ABOVE SUSPICION? Maltin gives it three stars. I don't find it that bad (if you're willing to suspend disbelief that Joan can outfox the Nazis with Fred's help).

I did. I also often disagree with Maltin.

Well, since I instinctively dislike Crawford, whom I find to always be Crawford in movies, I wasn't impressed by her unflappability in the face of danger. Even Fred seemed to be phoning it in. I did like Basil's mother, however.

Archived