Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rick2400

Fred MacMurray

Some levity, from Wikipedia (I wonder how they co-opted Snidely Whiplash without giving credit to Rocky and Bullwinkle?):

A villain (also known in film and literature as the "antagonist," "baddie", "bad guy", "heavy" or "black hat") is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist (though can be the protagonist), the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is occasionally called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain). Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".[1]

220px-Villainc.svg.png

Well promos, first of all here, and I suppose because it's now suddenly become quite "fashionable" to question others around here as to if their posts are "remaining on-track", I'm inclined to ask you if you believe this post of yours is being such(i.e.: what this might perhaps have to do with Fred MacMurray), however seeing as how you've brought this up here AND because I've never been much of a "fashionista"(LOL), I'll then instead ask you if you might happen to have noticed a resemblance between Mr. Whiplash here and another certain actor for whom I understand you have quite the affinity????

;)

I did. I also often disagree with Maltin.

Well, since I instinctively dislike Crawford, whom I find to always be Crawford in movies, I wasn't impressed by her unflappability in the face of danger. Even Fred seemed to be phoning it in. I did like Basil's mother, however.

I suppose MGM could have cast Hepburn & Tracy in these roles instead-- but Crawford & MacMurray seem okay enough.

Good for you, lavender. 

tumblr_ncjsexOo4b1t0qz4qo1_5001_zps0c642

CAN'T WE  ALL JUST GET ALONG?

THANK YOU TOM  :);)   It is a cute photo of Fred MacMurray and Carole Lombard and especially funny to me since my name is Carol :D Now which guy on this thread is Fred?  LOL :lol:

DGF, Dargo, Sepia, James (although whether James knows it or not, we've been in agreement on this thread) they all wanted to strangle me!!! LOL- at least I know Tom, you and I get along just fine! ;)

Yes, for the most part we can all get along, but probably later on on another thread :D at least I hope so :)

THANK YOU TOM  :);)   It is a cute photo of Fred MacMurray and Carole Lombard and especially funny to me since my name is Carol :D Now which guy on this thread is Fred?  LOL :lol:

DGF, Dargo, Sepia, James (although whether James knows it or not, we've been in agreement on this thread) they all wanted to strangle me!!! LOL- at least I know Tom, you and I get along just fine! ;)

Yes, for the most part we can all get along, but probably later on on another thread :D at least I hope so :)

Slight correction to follow here, lavender.

Although I understand you were using hyperbole to make a comedic point here and something in which I am of course well versed in myself, I don't believe that any of your aforementioned list of TCM regulars "wanted to strangle" you.

Nope, MY guess is more that we just wanted you to understand that this whole "villian=heavy" issue wasn't important enough of an issue in order for it to become a "win-lose proposition" as to whom was being "right", that's all.

(...well, at least that's the way I thought about this whole "brouhaha" which somehow transpired anyway)

And now, and not that the following has anything at all to do with the subject of "Fred MacMurray", but I will now be leaving the boards for a few hours in order to play tennis with my other friends, and so, I won't be available to reply to any posts directed my way at this website for a while.

(...HEY...was THAT a rousing cheer I just heard from the assembled masses here???!!!) :blink: 

LOL

Slight correction to follow here, lavender.

Although I understand you were using hyperbole to make a comedic point here and something in which I am of course well versed in myself, I don't believe that any of your aforementioned list of TCM regulars "wanted to strangle" you.

Nope, MY guess is more that we just wanted you to understand that this whole "villian=heavy" issue wasn't important enough of an issue in order for it to become a "win-lose proposition" as to whom was being "right", that's all.

(...well, at least that's the way I thought about this whole "brouhaha" which somehow transpired anyway)

Well DGF does want to win and unlike you will not concede.    e.g.. you said 'good point' to one of my post while DGF's reply was that well,  maybe Fred had mental issues.  Even if that was just a joke,  it was used to change the subject to avoid addressing the points being made.    Oh, well just par for the course.

It appears that most everyone agrees with "Heavy and villain ARE synonymous".    I did from the start with the caveat that in a noir\crime\gangster film I would call the head guy that doesn't directly use violence "the villain" while his henchmen are 'the heavies'.

In a non violent picture (e.g. The Apartment),    the terms are synonymous.

Dargo, No problem here. What I took MORE exception to were comments disputing Fred MacMurray's mental competence when he in his interview called some of his roles as "heavies". That poster is the one that started the whole "brouhaha" by disagreeing with speedracers calling Fred the heavy. And James got it right imo that that poster was not joking as he later claimed since he kept using that claim of Fred's age in quite a few posts to back up his view that villain and heavy are not the same. Besides, others here also felt that villain and heavy are synonymous. Had nothing to do with win or lose, just felt that Fred did play the Heavy. If that came across as wanting to win, that was not the intention. Just strongly disagreed that there's a difference between the two.

In an effort to lighten the whole thing up, I made that "strangle" comment since it was fitting for that cute photo Tom posted and since as you well know my name is Carol, it seemed like a cute way to end the bickering.  Since you want so badly to "correct" me, and get the last word in, fine

:) I'm over it, and hope once and for all you are also over it :)

Fred MacMurray, the Body Beautiful?

Here's something I didn't expect to find, a 1942 Photoplay magazine in which Fred was one of six finalists in the magazine's promotional "search" for the best male figure in Hollywood.

86c04c82-54e3-4f44-82ef-e865e7a1639b_zps

The three judges were a doctor, Victor Heiser, tennis champ Alice Marble and boxer Jack Dempsey.

The other five finalists besides Fred: Johnny Weissmuller, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Robert Taylor and George Brent. Flynn was declared the winner.

Never really thought of Fred as a particularly hunky guy but there he is coupled with the likes of Flynn, Gable and Tarzan.

Well promos, first of all here, and I suppose because it's now suddenly become quite "fashionable" to question others around here as to if their posts are "remaining on-track", I'm inclined to ask you if you believe this post of yours is being such(i.e.: what this might perhaps have to do with Fred MacMurray), however seeing as how you've brought this up here AND because I've never been much of a "fashionista"(LOL), I'll then instead ask you if you might happen to have noticed a resemblance between Mr. Whiplash here and another certain actor for whom I understand you have quite the affinity????

;)

To quote you, yourself, and you, Dargo:

Did you notice in the Wikipedia definition of villain that it agrees a villain can be a heavy, and that an antagonist can be a protagonist?

On track enough for you?

This thread is so long it may have been mentioned before, but in case it hasn't: MacMurray was the model for a famous comic book character:

tHzmbdq.jpg

Here's something I didn't expect to find, a 1942 Photoplay magazine in which Fred was one of six finalists in the magazine's promotional "search" for the best male figure in Hollywood.

Boy, physiques sure weren't as extreme for macho men as they are now.

86c04c82-54e3-4f44-82ef-e865e7a1639b_zps

The three judges were a doctor, Victor Heiser, tennis champ Alice Marble and boxer Jack Dempsey.

The other five finalists besides Fred: Johnny Weissmuller, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Robert Taylor and George Brent. Flynn was declared the winner.

Never really thought of Fred as a particularly hunky guy but there he is coupled with the likes of Flynn, Gable and Tarzan.

George Brent? Copious rear end and all?

And now, and not that the following has anything at all to do with the subject of "Fred MacMurray", but I will now be leaving the boards for a few hours in order to play tennis with my other friends, and so, I won't be available to reply to any posts directed my way at this website for a while.

(...HEY...was THAT a rousing cheer I just heard from the assembled masses here???!!!) :blink: 

LOL

How will you be able to enjoy your tennis game, knowing that you may be ripped into on these boards while you're gone, and won't be here to defend yourself?

Dargo, No problem here. What I took MORE exception to were comments disputing Fred MacMurray's mental competence when he in his interview called some of his roles as "heavies". That poster is the one that started the whole "brouhaha" by disagreeing with speedracers calling Fred the heavy. And James got it right imo that that poster was not joking as he later claimed since he kept using that claim of Fred's age in quite a few posts to back up his view that villain and heavy are not the same. Besides, others here also felt that villain and heavy are synonymous. Had nothing to do with win or lose, just felt that Fred did play the Heavy. If that came across as wanting to win, that was not the intention. Just strongly disagreed that there's a difference between the two.

In an effort to lighten the whole thing up, I made that "strangle" comment since it was fitting for that cute photo Tom posted and since as you well know my name is Carol, it seemed like a cute way to end the bickering.  Since you want so badly to "correct" me, and get the last word in, fine

I'm thinking about changing my user name to ThatPoster.

I'm thinking about changing my user name to ThatPoster.

Well based on the how this thread is going,   Down Goes Frazier is very appropiate.

How will you be able to enjoy your tennis game, knowing that you may be ripped into on these boards while you're gone, and won't be here to defend yourself?

Definitely unnecessary.

(...back from the tennis courts now. I rocked out there, won 6-3 4-6 6-2 6-2 while running down almost shot and hittin' winners,left and right...not bad for an old f art of 62 and one of the older players in our group, eh?!)  

Yeah, I was "over it" almost from the beginning, lavender.

And thanks for lettin' me get in "the last word". You're right, I wanted that soooo "badly", and like I mentioned above, it IS always soooo nice "to win", ya know! LOL ;)

(...and now, where are we here with Mr. MacMurray anyway????)

To quote you, yourself, and you, Dargo:

Did you notice in the Wikipedia definition of villain that it agrees a villain can be a heavy, and that an antagonist can be a protagonist?

On track enough for you?

NO, it ISN'T, primos!!!

'Cause there was NO mention of the great and wonderful Fred MacMurray in your reply to me there!!!! LOL ;)

(...JUUUUUST kiddin' here, primos...actually I was hopin' you'd see the humor, though pointed of course, in my post to YOU and NOT the one meant for lavender, and which was about, first, all these warnings of "staying on track about Fred MacMurray" in this thread which have seemed "inconsistently" invoked by "some" here, and secondly, about how much bad ol' Snidely Whiplash looks like your boy Warren William...aah, but alas, it appears my humor went for naught...whoa is me)

(...back from the tennis courts now. I rocked out there, won 6-3 4-6 6-2 6-2 while running down almost shot and hittin' winners,left and right...not bad for an old f art of 62 and one of the older players in our group, eh?!)  

Yeah, I was "over it" almost from the beginning, lavender.

And thanks for lettin' me get in "the last word". You're right, I wanted that soooo "badly", and like I mentioned above, it IS always soooo nice "to win", ya know! LOL ;)

(...and now, where are we here with Mr. MacMurray anyway????)

I put your sentence into BOLD- No prob Darg, here to make sure your need to win is fulfilled LOL ;)

I put your sentence into BOLD- No prob Darg, here to make sure your need to win is fulfilled LOL ;)

Well, like I said lavender....THANKS!!! LOL

(...life IS so wonderful for us "winners" in the world, ya know!) ;)

TCM Moderator1 posted this on the Carnegie Hall thread earlier today, and I believe it applies to all threads:

Posting this part of the Code of Conduct as a reminder:

Any content or use that insults, is derogatory of, intentionally harasses, or advocates harassment of, another person, or groups of persons, or is abusive, threatening, or defamatory to other users. If you disagree with something another user has posted, do so in a courteous manner, and do not disparage, insult, or otherwise attack other users personally.

Anything off topic is going to be removed.  Please go back to the original topic, disagreements are fine but do them without insulting other members.

TCM Moderator1 posted this on the Carnegie Hall thread earlier today, and I believe it applies to all threads:

Posting this part of the Code of Conduct as a reminder:

Any content or use that insults, is derogatory of, intentionally harasses, or advocates harassment of, another person, or groups of persons, or is abusive, threatening, or defamatory to other users. If you disagree with something another user has posted, do so in a courteous manner, and do not disparage, insult, or otherwise attack other users personally.

Anything off topic is going to be removed.  Please go back to the original topic, disagreements are fine but do them without insulting other members.

Hmmmm...it appears someone hasn't placed me(or might it be all the OTHERS in this thread who also haven't been "on topic") on their ignore function, eh?!

(...my, my, my...I guess some folks just never receive a friendly suggestion in the proper manner, huh) LOL

Hmmmm...it appears someone hasn't placed me(or might it be all the OTHERS in this thread who also haven't been "on topic") on their ignore function, eh?!

(...my, my, my...I guess some folks just never receive a friendly suggestion in the proper manner, huh) LOL

This place IS getting too much like Facebook!  We gotta STOP that! 

Sepiatone