Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hollywood Ten

Mac_the_Nice

Tonight I was watching a clip (altogether too short) from the HUAC testimony of Dalton Trumbo . . .

And while in that region of YouTube, I happened also upon a quite extensive video of HUAC's Army/McCarthy hearings I was just a lad of 9 years old in April and June of 1954 when these were going on. Came home from school one day to find my Grandma before the TV in TEARS over what she saw as the injustice, and no less, the abusive treatment "that poor, decent man" (Grandma's words) Army Secretary Stevens was receiving from McCarthy and Cohn. It was all way over my head, of course.

Amazing. What an incredible battle of wits--no, wit, strictly speaking--barbed spears and flaming arrows of it, with innuendo echoing in that chamber like explosions of mortar fire. And funny at times? Whoa. Give it a chance to get started and you'll rarely see such drama (or tragicomedy) even from a docudrama feature film. Haven't finished watching it yet, so I don't know if this includes the classic, "At long last, have you left no sense of decency, Senator McCarthy," speech from counsel Welch, but if so, what a build up leading to it. Gangbusters.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings