Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The June Taylor Dancers

Mac_the_Nice

It was a big deal when Duke Ellington's granddaughter Mercedes became the first African-American woman to join the June Taylor Dancers on "The Jackie Gleason Show" in the 1960s. It's nice to know she has kept busy in recent years as a choreographer and stage director.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/mercedes-ellington-granddaughter-jazz-legend-duke-step-70-article-1.375770

• Like 1

I want to live in a world with the June Taylor Dancers, or at least with people who appreciate them.  Just lovely.

DGF, I tried to "like" the charming clip, but have used up my likes for the day. 

Know just what you mean. And it's quite a story June Taylor has to tell of the challenges she was fated to be up against, causing her to leave her career as a dancer for that of choreography.

• Like 1

I'll bet Bennett Cerf guessed them because he heard a lot of women breathing.

Now c'mon, DGF! How in the world could you confuse Robert Q. Lewis, who correctly guessed the mystery guests here, with Bennett Cerf???

I mean Mr. Lewis sounded NOTHIN' like Elmer Fudd..err..I mean Bennett Cerf, dude!!!

(...GEEESH, I mean have you forgotten: "And now, heahs our-ah panel modawaydah, John Chawales Daly", which opened EVERY episode of that SHOW???) LOL

Now c'mon, DGF! How in the world could you confuse Robert Q. Lewis, who correctly guessed the mystery guests here, with Bennett Cerf???

I mean Mr. Lewis sounded NOTHIN' like Elmer Fudd..err..I mean Bennett Cerf, dude!!!

(...GEEESH, I mean have you forgotten: "And now, heahs our-ah panel modawaydah, John Chawales Daly", which opened EVERY episode of that SHOW???) LOL

I was going on this assumption because I'll bet that Cerf guessed more mystery guests than anyone, especially from recognizing their voices.

I was going on this assumption because I'll bet that Cerf guessed more mystery guests than anyone, especially from recognizing their voices.

Didn't watch it then, eh?! Well then, thanks for settin' up my Cerf/Fudd vocal similarity joke here anyway...you cwazy wabbit, you! ;)

(...btw, when I was hooked on the GSN reruns of the show a few years back, I seemed to notice that Arlene Francis was especially adept at this, although Cerf and Kilgallen were also quite good at it too, of course)

Didn't watch it then, eh?! Well then, thanks for settin' up my Cerf/Fudd vocal similarity joke here anyway...you cwazy wabbit, you! ;)

(...btw, when I was hooked on the GSN reruns of the show a few years back, I seemed to notice that Arlene Francis was especially adept at this, although Cerf and Kilgallen were also quite good at it too, of course)

My impression is that Arlene and Dorothy were better in getting the right answer from the answers the guest gave. They had somewhat more knowledge of show business than Cerf. But Cerf had no peer in recognizing voices.

I was hooked on them, too, and wish GSN still aired them.  I became fascinated by Dorothy Kilgallen and read her biography.  One interesting tidbit:  while she was known as a conservative, she testified for Lenny Bruce in his obscenity trial.  I'm surprised no one has made a biopic or documentary on Dorothy.

I was hooked on them, too, and wish GSN still aired them.  I became fascinated by Dorothy Kilgallen and read her biography.  One interesting tidbit:  while she was known as a conservative, she testified for Lenny Bruce in his obscenity trial.  I'm surprised no one has made a biopic or documentary on Dorothy.

I guess she was quite the entertainment "power broker" back in the day, eh GayD?!

What was that thing about her and Sinatra being enemies? I've never heard the whole story about that.

I guess she was quite the entertainment "power broker" back in the day, eh GayD?!

What was that thing about her and Sinatra being enemies? I've never heard the whole story about that.

He just didn't like the stuff she wrote about him. He referred to her as "the chinless wonder". Kilgallen and Shelley Winters were the two females he hated most.

He just didn't like the stuff she wrote about him. He referred to her as "the chinless wonder". Kilgallen and Shelley Winters were the two females he hated most.

"The Chinless Wonder"?!

MY, but THAT'S almost as mean as comparing a person's vocal pronunciation to Elmer Fudd's, isn't it???!!! LOL

(...and speaking of "voices"...yeah, I suppose I can see why Shelley Winters wasn't big on Frank's list TOO!!!)

BUT, getting back to Dorothy here...I wonder what she specifically wrote to tick him off so much. Maybe she sided with Ava during their troubles or somethin'?

"The Chinless Wonder"?!

MY, but THAT'S almost as mean as comparing a person's vocal pronunciation to Elmer Fudd's, isn't it???!!! LOL

(...and speaking of "voices"...yeah, I suppose I can see why Shelley Winters wasn't big on Frank's list TOO!!!)

BUT, getting back to Dorothy here...I wonder what she specifically wrote to tick him off so much. Maybe she sided with Ava during their troubles or somethin'?

Winters and Sinatra worked together on MEET DANNY WILSON. Probably never have a male and female co-star gotten along so badly.

Winters and Sinatra worked together on MEET DANNY WILSON. Probably never have a male and female co-star gotten along so badly.

So far as memory serves (less and less of late) this may have come out of the Marilyn Monroe/Lake Tahoe scandal, when one among a group of photos showing Marilyn, dress up around her waist, drunk and pilled up, was taken of her with Sinatra's camera at his Cal-Neva Lodge (now checking . . .) in August of '62. One writer, K. Badman, has it that this had been a mob-orchestrated event meant to shut Marilyn up, discredit anything she may have been planning to reveal about her Kennedy affairs. Some say Marilyn was drug/date raped during this skulduggery. Without Sinatra's knowledge, one snap-shot was then sent by some Sam Giancana mobster present, to Kilgallen--who described but did not publish it in her column. Whether she identified Sinatra's club as the location for this 'photo op' or not, it must have left him mighty hot under the collar.

http://tinyurl.com/mv5lxsf

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings