Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Showing "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" at 2am in the morning

DVDPhreak

As those who have seen "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" know, the story is about a couple who have an all-night quarrel from 2am to dawn.  Whenever I have a sleepless night, I tend to pop in a video of this movie at about the same time, and watch it from 2 to about 5, coinciding with the time setting in the story.

Since this is a rather high-profile studio film, I highly doubt TCM would air it in late night.  But it would definitely be fun to try.

We can submit requests for movie titles.  But can we request a time slot for a movie??

As those who have seen the movie or the play know, the story is about a couple who have an all-night quarrel from 2am to dawn.  Whenever I have a sleepless night, I tend to pop in a video of this movie at about the same time, and watch it from 2 to about 5, coinciding with the time setting in the story.

Since this is a rather high-profile studio film, I highly doubt TCM would air it in late night.  But it would definitely be fun to try.

We can submit requests for movie titles.  But can we request a time slot for a movie??

If I didn't wish to get a good night sleep I would play that movie.    Really,  I can think of any other movie where the vibe of the movie would put me more on edge.

Quite frankly, I just don't like WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.  I think that if I went to visit some friends and they were yelling and screaming at each other, I would get up and politely excuse myself and go home.  I don't find the film entertaining in the least.

• Like 1

As those who have seen the movie or the play know, the story is about a couple who have an all-night quarrel from 2am to dawn.  Whenever I have a sleepless night, I tend to pop in a video of this movie at about the same time, and watch it from 2 to about 5, coinciding with the time setting in the story.

I like your idea of watching it during the time it occurs.  It's not quite the same as watching it at, say, noon.  Some movies are meant for the wee hours.

I like your idea of watching it during the time it occurs.  It's not quite the same as watching it at, say, noon.  Some movies are meant for the wee hours.

The movie I watch related to the time it occured is It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard,  Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland.    It is set on New Years eve and day.    So after getting back from a New Year eve party I'll watch this one or sometimes I'll watch it on New Years day.     

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I just don't like WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.  I think that if I went to visit some friends and they were yelling and screaming at each other, I would get up and politely excuse myself and go home.  I don't find the film entertaining in the least.

But the film has an existential theme that transcends it from mere entertainment.  Like "Death of a Salesman", it is a nightmarish portrait of the American Dream unattained.

But the film has an existential theme that transcends it from mere entertainment.  Like "Death of a Salesman", it is a nightmarish portrait of the American Dream unattained.

Well some people don't like to have nightmares and don't find them entertaining.   My wife can't watch this film because it reminds her too much of how her parents were when she was young.   

While I'm glad I saw the film,  it isnt one I want to watch often.   But there are certain scenes I love to see (the ones that border on camp due to the over the top drama).   My wife will then yell at me and say 'are you really going to watch this!'.   :lol:

We all see that every day, at work, in traffic, and at home.

Why would we want to pay money to see it in a movie??

You don't see the exact same thing you see every day.  You see the filmmakers take everyday experiences and stylize them into a powerful drama, with great use of language & metaphors, resulting in plenty of epiphanical moments.

• Like 1

The movie I watch related to the time it occured is It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard,  Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland.    It is set on New Years eve and day.    So after getting back from a New Year eve party I'll watch this one or sometimes I'll watch it on New Years day.     

I like that.  There's something special about watching the movies in the season, or day they're set.  I must try this, this New Year's Eve!

To fill out the schedule, you can also watch One Way Passage, or its remake, 'TIl We Meet Again.

Great idea, slaytonf!  I think I remember "Til We Meet Again is a Claudette Colbert movie?  Can't remember One Way Passage, though no doubt have seen it.  I'll look for them both.  Unless TCM programs them, hint, hint. ;)

One Way Passage stars Kay Francis and William Powell.  'Til We Meet Again stars Merle Oberon and George Brent.  They both are the story about the shipboard romance between an escaped criminal and a sickly young lady.  They're both headed for unfortunate ends that pull them apart.  The culmination of the plot is an appointment to meet New Year's Eve.

One Way Passage stars Kay Francis and William Powell.  'Til We Meet Again stars Merle Oberon and George Brent.  They both are the story about the shipboard romance between an escaped criminal and a sickly young lady.  They're both headed for unfortunate ends that pull them apart.  The culmination of the plot is an appointment to meet New Year's Eve.

They both sound right up my alley.  I've probably seen them, but my memory tends to meld movies together.  The movie I'd been thinking of is My Reputation, with Barbara Stanwyck.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings