Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic movies-ideas for Halloween costumes

suejeanne

It was on the news yesterday - hazmat suits are shaping up to be the #1 costume pick for Halloween in 2014.

I find myself turning on TCM just to get away from the news again -

and wondering if anyone else has ideas for Halloween costumes based on classic movies we see on TCM

e.g.,

"A Letter to Three Wives":  a letter with some vague, unreadable writing, "husband" and "going away" somewhat discernible, signed on the lower backside by "Addie Ross"

"The Manchurian Candidate":  of course, as a playing card, just as the girl was dressed for the costume party put on by Raymond's mother

"To Kill a Mockingbird":  dressed like a ham, like Scout

"The Mutiny on the Bounty":  breadfruit tree

"The Mutiny on the Bounty":  breadfruit tree

Hmmmm...well suejeanne, gotta say THIS one will definitely go RIGHT over the head OF the Head of a certain Canadian company's Human Resources Department if you happen to run into THAT guy at a Halloween party in Toronto wearin' THAT getup!

Well, at least according to our friend Tom up that a way, anyway!

(...for an explanation to this, see: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/50802-this-makes-me-a-little-sad/ 

Btw, years ago my wife and I once attended a Halloween party dressed as Rhett and Scarlett.

But no matter how hard she tried pulling on those corset strings, she just couldn't get my waist down to bein' 19 inches again!

(...and even though I done never had no baby!!!)

Btw, years ago my wife and I once attended a Halloween party dressed as Rhett and Scarlett.

But no matter how hard she tried pulling on those corset strings, she just couldn't get my waist down to bein' 19 inches again!

(...and even though I done never had no baby!!!)

wife and I? Rhett and Scarlett? So YOU went as Scarlett? From your photo, you reminded me a little bit of Vivien Leigh.

wife and I? Rhett and Scarlett? So YOU went as Scarlett? From your photo, you reminded me a little bit of Vivien Leigh.

Yeah?! Well then, you should have seen me back when I was young. I was a REAL beauty back THEN, dude!

(...but now days of course I must..ahem..rely on the kindness of strangers!!!)

I figured I'd go to the party as Wallace Beery. I went to  the local store and asked them to show me the various Wallace Beery masks that they had in stock. I was told they no longer carried them. I walked out in a huff.

Are you sure you didn't walk out in a minute and a huff?

• Like 1

I'd like to go to a Halloween party dressed as... The Tabanga!

tabonga1.jpg

Now Swithin, Wouldn't it much more fun to add some apples to that costume and then go as what many more people at the Halloween party would recognize?

Uh huh, namely THIS guy here...

mean%2Btrees.jpg

And not only THAT, but THEN you could affect a curmudgeonly attitude just like this guy, and if somebody REALLY ticks you off at the party, you could throw those apples at 'em TOO!

(...I mean, what can you do as a Tabanga?...do they even talk?)

Just did a halloween party at my house and went as Aunt Abby, with my real life sister going as Aunt Martha, from Arsenic and Old Lace, complete with elderberry wine "for elderly gentlemen only." The piano also had blood stains (gels) on it with a can of Bon Ami on it (from The Ghost and Mr Chicken). :)

• Like 1

Now Swithin, Wouldn't it much more fun to add some apples to that costume and then go as what many more people at the Halloween party would recognize?

Uh huh, namely THIS guy here...

And not only THAT, but THEN you could affect a curmudgeonly attitude just like this guy, and if somebody REALLY ticks you off at the party, you could throw those apples at 'em TOO!

My first thought was 'what can you NOT do as a Tabanga';    go to the bathroom!   But hey,  since one is dressed like a forest,  I guess they can 'go' like they are in a forest.   

What can you do as a Tabanga? Just watch this:

LOL

Okay Swithin, after watchin' that I now am even MORE certain you should go to this imagined Halloween party as one of those talkin' apple trees in the Oz flick! And here's my list as to the reasons:

(1) You'll have to hope that TWO women show up at that party dressed as Dorothy Lamour.

(2) You'll THEN have to hope that they get into a catfight. (knife optional)

(3) There will have to quicksand SOMEWHERE around.

(4) AND maybe THE most important thing here...As I queried earlier, APPARENTLY Tabangas do NOT talk, and so, how are you gonna impress the women at this party(whether or NOT dressed as Dorothy Lamour) with that sparkling personality of yours, HUH?!

(...ya know Swithin, sometimes I think you JUST don't think things all the way through) ;)

LOL

Okay Swithin, after watchin' that I now am even MORE certain you should go to this imagined Halloween party as one of those talkin' apple trees in the Oz flick! And here's my list as to the reasons:

(1) You'll have to hope that TWO women show up at that party dressed as Dorothy Lamour.

(2) You'll THEN have to hope that they get into a catfight. (knife optional)

(3) There will have to quicksand SOMEWHERE around.

(4) AND maybe THE most important thing here...As I queried earlier, APPARENTLY Tabangas do NOT talk, and so, how are you gonna impress the women at this party(whether or NOT dressed as Dorothy Lamour) with that sparkling personality of yours, HUH?!

(...ya know Swithin, sometimes I think you JUST don't think things all the way through) ;)

Well Dargo, that Oz tree, with all that red and green, might be better for a Christmas Party. But did you see that woman swoon when she took one look at the handsome Tabanga? He doesn't need to talk!

Well Dargo, that Oz tree, with all that red and green, might be better for a Christmas Party. But did you see that woman swoon when she took one look at the handsome Tabanga? He doesn't need to talk!

LOL

Hmmmm....well Swithin, I gotta say I DON'T think that woman's reaction to the Tabanga was QUITE the same as, say, when some women first see Errol Flynn swing onto that large tree branch in "Robin Hood", OR for that matter, when some of 'em first catch a glimpse of Clark Gable leanin' on that staircase banister at Twelve Oaks in that flick about the Antebellum South!!!

(...nope, I don't think that women's reaction as exactly a "swoon", dude...but, as ALWAYS, I suppose I COULD be wrong here!) ;)

I have always wanted to go to a Halloween party dressed as Ivan the

Terrible. That long fur coat, cool staff, great fur hat and sharp as a

knife pointed beard. Sweet. Plus, if it's nippy outside you're nice and

warm and I'll bet one can fit a lot of candy goodies into those commodious

coat pockets. Yes, it's good to be czar.

Hmmm...I dunno, Vautrin. Somebody once told me it can be rather risky to be a Ruskie.

(...or was that a quote of Leon Trotsky's...I can't remember) 

In a thirtysomething episode two of the characters went as Will and Ariel Durant.  I love that.

I once dressed as the Bride of Frankenstein, but my husband refused to dress as Frankenstein.  He'd rather celebrate Guy Fawke's Day.  :rolleyes:

Is your husband British, GayD?

(...or as I prefer to call 'em, "Those who needlessly continue to spell certain words in the Language with that 'superfluous letter u' "!) ;)

I thought Trotsky's quote was It's rather risky to be a Ruskie south of the border,

down Mexico way.

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're confusin' Trotsky with Gene Autry here, Vautrin.

down-mexico-way-smiley-burnette-fay-mcke

And to help ya remember the difference here, just remember Trotsky never owned any Major League Baseball franchises in his shortened little life!

(...though there IS some word that Trotsky DID once have a co-owning partnership in a shooting range just outside what is once again named St. Petersburg...Russian, not Florida of course)

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're confusin' Trotsky with Gene Autry here, Vautrin.

down-mexico-way-smiley-burnette-fay-mcke

And to help ya remember the difference here, just remember Trotsky never owned any Major League Baseball franchises in his shortened little life!

(...though there IS some word that Trotsky DID once have a co-owning partnership in a shooting range just outside what is once again named St. Petersburg...Russian, not Florida of course)

Trotsky apparently lived up to his name by regularly being hot to trot.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings