Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anyone know who 'else' is in these photos??

DickLindsay

Here's a bunch of interesting photos from my collection....

1. candid shot taken on set of ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE.  Apparently, its Lionel Barrymore's birthday.  Cast and crew assembled (no J. STewart or Donna reed) but I can see Henry Travers, Gloria Grahame, Moroni Olsen (second from left) who was the voice of the senior angel but not seen in the film, Beulah Bondi, anyone recognize anybody else?

2. and 3. from CISCO KID with Warner Baxter.  Who are the two others?

4. That's Josef Von Sternberg on the far right.  WHo's with him?

5. another still with Frances Dee and Richard Arlen..  Who's the lady?

6. Frances Dee again.  but who's the young man?

7.  I"m guessing Bontita Granville although it's dated 1940 and that would mean she grew up fast (in 1936 she was in THESE THREE)

Thanks!

0-a.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Perhaps i can help a little.  Warner Baxter played the Cisco Kid in "In Old Arizona" in 1929.  The cavalry officer who was trying to catch him was played by Edmund Lowe, who is pictured here, and the leading lady was Dorothy Burgess,who I thought was pictured with them in picture No. 2.  However, Baxter and Lowe made a sequel in 1931 called "The Cisco Kid" and the Mexican dance hall girl was played by Conchita Montenegro, who,  I believe is pictured with the two men.  The woman with Baxter in picture No. 3 is most likely Nora Lane.  Here is a photo of Conchita Montenegro with Edmund Lowe.  

and here is Nora Lane.

The older woman with Richard Arlen and Frances Dee is Louise Dresser.  The movie was "Caught" from 1931.  Louise plays Calamity Jane.  Two years later, she would play Will Rogers' wife in the original version of "State Fair".  

The last photo is not Bonita Granville.  When the movie was released it was not called "At Good Old Siwash".  It was retitled "Those Were The Days".  I believe the picture is of Judith Barrett.  Here she is in another photo.  

post-37737-1301698527.jpg

I hope that this information is helpful.

think that the picture with Lionel Barrymore is from the set of "On Borrowed Time".  The little boy who really looks like he wants some cake is Bobs Watson..

I disagree.  Although Beulah Bondi was in ON BORROWED TIME, we also have  Gloria Grahame and Moroni Olsen in the photo and they were not in ON BORROWED TIME.

think that the picture with Lionel Barrymore is from the set of "On Borrowed Time".  The little boy who really looks like he wants some cake is Bobs Watson..

I disagree.  Although Beulah Bondi was in ON BORROWED TIME, we also have  Gloria Grahame and Moroni Olsen in the photo and they were not in ON BORROWED TIME.

The photo also shows Una Merkel, Grant Mitchell and Henry Travers, all of whom had roles in On Borrowed Time, perhaps the others are there simply to send LB best wishes on his birthday.

The photo also shows Una Merkel, Grant Mitchell and Henry Travers, all of whom had roles in On Borrowed Time, perhaps the others are there simply to send LB best wishes on his birthday.

Whistlingypsy, you beat me to those folks.  Also, the lady on the far left is Eily Malyon (I had to look her name up).  She plays the mean aunt in On Borrowed Time.

Photo #6 is not Frances Dee. That is Maureen O'Sullivan with Frank Lawton, from David Copperfield.

Thought of  Maureen O'Sullivan as soon as I saw the photo, but with everyone chimming in with Frances Dee figured I might be incorrect. That's a relief. Thought my eyes were going on me! Thank You, I agree with you Rich :)

The first photo is definitely from "On Borrowed Time"  That's Grant Mitchell next to Eily Malyon on the left.   He was in " The Man Who Came To Dinner" as the host to Sheridan Whiteside.  In between Henry Travers and Beulah Bondi is Sir Cedric Hardwicke, who played Mr. Brink.  The boy is Bobs Watson, who was about eight years old when "On Borrowed Time" was made in 1939.  I'm assuming that the woman that Dick thought was Gloria Grahame is indeed Una Merkel.  She is in front of the door.  Here is a photo of Una.

una_merkel.jpg

As William Demarest said in "The Lady Eve",  "It's absolutely the same dame".

• 4 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings