Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please ID 1940's movie about a boy and a horse named Sunset

Gumbadina

Some friends in upstate NY watched a 40's looking film with no identifiable stars about a boy who had a horse named Sunset.  Watched on or about October 1 (Wed) 2014 about 5:30 or 6 PM in the evening.  I think the horse was injured, dr tried to fix his leg, they thought Sunset would have to be shot and suddenly he leapt to his feet for the happy ending.  Anyone know the name of this movie?

Just a guess because the horse is not named Sunset but the plot sounds a bit like "My Friend Flicka"  (1943)

Flicka is badly cut by barbed wire and the wound becomes infected. Ken cares for her best he can, but the infection leads father Rob to conclude that the horse must be put down. A gunshot by his father makes Ken fear the worst, but it turns out he was warding off a mountain lion after being warned by Flicka. The filly's life is spared, and young Ken nurtures her back to health.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036182/reference

No, not The Sundowners -- they didn't recognize anyone in the cast and would surely know Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum.  Only reason I'm persisting is that friend who watched it is ill and found this film extremely moving, so I'd like to be able to tell him what it is.  Any other input welcome, and appreciated.

No, not The Sundowners -- they didn't recognize anyone in the cast and would surely know Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum.  Only reason I'm persisting is that friend who watched it is ill and found this film extremely moving, so I'd like to be able to tell him what it is.  Any other input welcome, and appreciated.

The film is Two Thoroughbreds (1939). I had a glimpse of it, it was on last Thursday. I didn't have a chance to watch more than a few  scenes but remembered that Marjorie Main was in it. I checked her IMDB listing for various plot lines and came up with the film in question.

TWO THOROUGHBREDS (1940)

A farm boy trains a wild colt on his own.

DirJack Hively Cast:  Jimmy Lydon , Joan Brodel , Arthur Hohl .

BW-62 mins, CC,

It's going to be on again on October 29 (TCM calls the film's year 1940):

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/94263/Two-Thoroughbreds/

• Like 2

Eureka!  I'd forgotten the detail about the miserly uncle but you are absolutely correct -- that's the one.  Thank you so much for your help!  You really know your stuff.

You're welcome. I actually didn't know the film, just came across those scenes, the boy with the horse; then Marjorie Main, which led to a bit of research. I hope your friend gets well soon.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings