Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"I Died A Thousand Times"

Terrence1

I recently watched this movie, a remake of "High Sierra". In this version, Lori Nelson is perfect as the sweet, small-town girl.  Toward the end of the movie, after her operation, she goes through a change of character.  She not only rejects Jack Palance, but practically humiliates him in front of others.  In the original, did Joan Leslie treat Bogart the same way?

I recently watched this movie, a remake of "High Sierra". In this version, Lori Nelson is perfect as the sweet, small-town girl.  Toward the end of the movie, after her operation, she goes through a change of character.  She not only rejects Jack Palance, but practically humiliates him in front of others.  In the original, did Joan Leslie treat Bogart the same way?

Yes,  Joan Leslie did turn out to be a shunk and she treats Bogie in a cruel way.    Not so much because she is mean but because she was so bored with her small-town type of life and her parents \ relatives she lived with.

yes

yes

And in Raoul Walsh's remake of his "High Sierra", he cast Dorothy Malone  opposite Joel McCrea and Viriginia Mayo with Malone as the not so innocent young girl. This is one of those times that the remake lives up to the original version and maybe a little better. It also works as a fine Western...

And in Raoul Walsh's remake of his "High Sierra", he cast Dorothy Malone  opposite Joel McCrea and Viriginia Mayo with Malone as the not so innocent young girl. This is one of those times that the remake lives up to the original version and maybe a little better. It also works as a fine Western...

All three versions are worth seeing.   While my favorite is the Bogie version,   the western remake is creative.   To me it makes the point that when the source material is sound,  a creative team can make a remake that is just as 'valid' as the original.  

And in Raoul Walsh's remake of his "High Sierra", he cast Dorothy Malone  opposite Joel McCrea and Viriginia Mayo with Malone as the not so innocent young girl. This is one of those times that the remake lives up to the original version and maybe a little better.

If you can buy Mayo as a Mexican half-breed

Fredbaetz, you better be careful about how you talk about  "Mayo".  Cody Jarrett might hear about this and you know what happened to "Big Ed ".  ;)

If Jarrett knew what Mayo did to his mother (instead of Big Ed),  Jarrett would welcomed someone taking her out (and I don't mean for dinner!).  

If Jarrett knew what Mayo did to his mother (instead of Big Ed),  Jarrett would welcomed someone taking her out (and I don't mean for dinner!).  

She had to "take Ma out', if only to save her marriage to Cody. Ma was always going out to get her "Boy" strawberries and letting Cody sit in her lap. It was her lap Cody should be sitting in and that's why "Big Ed" starting sitting in her lap, it was empty. She just wanted some one to love her.....

Are you saying  Ma Jarrett took the strawberries?.  And all this time I thought it was the mess boys.  Wait a minute, I think I'm getting my movies mixed up (see Fred MacMurray thread). 

Well Cody did love Strawberries and we all know that Ma would do anything for her boy Cody.

The best part of I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES was the color location footage, especially during the final chase where the car heading up into the Sierras on a back country road gets stuck in the snow drift. That is 10 times better than High Sierra's end sequence where Bogie seems to just stop for no reason and head up the mountain.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings