Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

filmlover

Just near the end of Juke Girl, DISH cut out of the movie and suddenly put FX in TCM's place.  They said on the channel that Turner pulled its channels because they couldn't come to a settlement.  I'm betting it was just DISH being cheap.  Hollywood Reporter has an article saying that DISH hasn't returned to the table to discuss it.

I have been with DISH for many years but I am letting them know that unless they come to a settlement and bring back TCM really quickly, I am going to drop them!

update --- I just got off the phone with a DISH rep.  I told him to pass on to his bosses that I am very unhappy with this and I will switch to DIRECTV unless TCM is returned.  The rep said he understood that I am upset and said to make up for it he could give me a discount on my service.  I said I didn't want a discount...I subscribe to DISH in order to get TCM.  No TCM, I'm gone.

As of 12 a.m. today, an Extreme TRAGEDY has deeply affected TCM fans subscribing to Dish network: Dish no longer includes TCM in its line-up!!! Something about contracts, Turner vs. Dish. I, for one, will surely LOSE MY MIND unless TCM is reinstated!!! HELP!!

Sign me, Desperate for the Only Channel Worth Watching!

Taylor Sartre

I have been a faithful and loyal viewer since the Channel 17 on UHF days in the 1960s in Atlanta.  I live in an extremely rural area now and the only cable option available to me is DISH.  DISH says TCM, CNN, et al want more money from DISH to keep these channels.  Don't know and don't care what the problem is but I pay for the upgraded channel lineup from DISH just to get TCM and I can't afford to pay any more than I already do.  This is a horrible way to treat loyal and faithful viewers.  Get it fixed and do it NOW!!

Although it's great you complained for the record, I think it will take millions of people to threaten to disconnect before anything positive is done about it. I certainly hope TCM has the same clout with these "providers" as the ESPN bundle of sports channels.

This is the reason why I no longer subscribe to cable. Time Warner put TCM on the higher tier which was simply unaffordable in my household. 

I'm sorry to hear that DISH dropped TCM. Hopefully they will come to a resolution with Turner and TCM will be back on again.

Some years ago, when TCM was not available in Canada, I used to get it on DISH through a grey market provider. That same provider had had DIRECT-TV, as well, but no longer did. I could never communicate directly with DISH. The grey marketer did it for me, having some kind of fake U.S. address for me as a subscriber.

I finally had a nightmare with DISH when they switched to "smart cards." The one for which I paid $40 expired, for some reason, after just a couple of months, and it was murder to get another one. I could never get a straight answer from my grey market provider as to what was going on.

At the same time, though, TCM became available through a couple of Canadian cable and satellite providers so I switched to them. That was the beginning of realizing that the Canadian TCM schedule was not always the same as the American.

One other thing. The TCM recordings that I have off DISH are brighter and about ten to twenty percent sharper than any that I have been able to get off either cable or satellite in Canada. For a brief while I had cable and satellite sumultaneously in Canada and saw that the quality of the TCM image was identical between the two of them (but still inferior to DISH's).

TCM is a heck of a lot cheaper for me now than the prices I paid through the grey market provider. My wallet is happy to be off DISH even if the image isn't quite so impressive (though still quite acceptable).

I'm very pleased that I have some TCM DISH recordings like Topaze or A Bill of Divorcement, for example, which never play on the Canadian outlets.

Good luck to all those DISH subscribers regarding TCM. (Who knows, if things get desperate enough, maybe there's a grey market provider that can provide you with one of the Canadian TV suppliers that shows the channel. Now THAT would be ironic!). 

Applicable to all providers.

Step 1:  Call customer assistance and log a complaint.  Won't accomplish much, but puts it on the record.  Could also ask to speak to a supervisor.

Step 2:  WRITE a real letter to the CEO at the home office.  May have to google some to find it, but it's out there.  I did this with my provider a year or so ago, and would get techs at my house same day.  They ended up completely re-running underground cables from the street to my house and then new cables inside the house, not to mention new cable boxes.  A tech supervisor was put in charge of handling my problem and he gave me his cell phone number on day one.

Also, one of the CEO's assistants was put in charge of contacting me and local techs to make sure everything happened, it worked and it happened very quickly.

Part of the problem is that TCM does not have the deep pockets from advertising that ESPN and other networks have.

They replaced TCM with a fox movie channel. Not even close.

I wish Turner would just take their channels and go solo like HBO did. Then I wouldn't have to bother with dish at all. 

I bet that threat would make dish run to the bargaining table !

I wish Turner would just take their channels and go solo like HBO did. Then I wouldn't have to bother with dish at all. 

If you haven't watched Fox Movie before, it has more recent, commercially interrupted movies from 3PM until 3AM.  From 3AM until 3PM it shows old (TCM style) movies without commercials.  Generally speaking.  However, they do tend to show same movies very frequently for a while before changing.

You might also see if getTV and thisTV are available as they show older movies as well.

Dish did this to the Weather Channel and it lasted three months before they brought it back. This is like the movie Ransom!

Interesting that TCM and Weather Channel are owned by same people.  Also CNN and HLN.

The real question is what are the sticking points, how much does Dish want, how much do other "networks" pay, how much is Turner willing to pay, etc.?

Only if you want to pay an even greater cost to get TCM, et.al. as "premium" channels.  Or are you talking about HBO's streaming with its yet undetermined real cost to consumers?

Only if you want to pay an even greater cost to get TCM, et.al. as "premium" channels.  Or are you talking about HBO's streaming with its yet undetermined real cost to consumers?

No, you don't get it.

I mean get Turner channels without cable/dish. Based on the price of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube and the rest, I wouldn't be as much as I am paying now. I would love to have TCM,TNT,CNN and the rest without the other 200+ that I rarely watch.

too bad; because i thought the ending was one of the best scenes in that great flick.

howard da silva was outstanding as usual.

Just near the end of Juke Girl, DISH cut out of the movie and suddenly put FX in TCM's place. 

I went to dish chat which is normally quick and I was 67th in the queue. The lady had copy and paste responses for this issue. Apparently, there are a lot of angry people. I let them know that they have till the end of the month or I am gone. I won't pay another dime .They already don't have programming that I want. This is the last straw for me.

Without TCM, no use in having it.

Ugh. I just found out about this. Cartoon Network and TCM are pretty much the only channels on Dish I watch. They better get a deal sorted out. Right now I'm not in the position to be changing providers, so my only hope is that Dish and Turner work something out the only solace I have is that I have a lot on the DVR to watch and I own a million movies; but still, I need my TCM!

I let them know that they have till the end of the month or I am gone. I won't pay another dime .They already don't have programming that I want. This is the last straw for me.

Eh, I did that too, since I pay all my bills the 25th of every month. Apparently, TWCable had my "connection dates" as going from the 15th to the 15th of each month. They actually sent me a BILL for $75 to cover the 2 weeks difference after cutting the cable cord!

roll.gif

And yes, I do think they hold people "ransom", as do cel phone/internet "providers". I am amazed that the general public believes these are NECESSITIES.

Even Public Assistance applications have boxes for you to state how much you pay per month for these things. Can't feed your kids properly but you have cable/dish TV? Really?

No, you don't get it.

I mean get Turner channels without cable/dish. Based on the price of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube and the rest, I wouldn't be as much as I am paying now. I would love to have TCM,TNT,CNN and the rest without the other 200+ that I rarely watch.

Yes I do get it.  However, what you want is not available in US.  Currently the providers are able to "bundle" as they see fit.  Frequently the media corporations require that the providers (cable & satellite) must take X number of low demand channels along with the high demand channels.

Appears to me you are talking about Turner making a deal with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and YouTube to show their programming?  Why not contact Turner and ask why they don't, assuming they don't?

Regardless, at some point the consumer will have to pay for all this programming.  Since TCM makes most of its money from the providers, they would have to pass that charge on to the consumers. 

This is day two of TCM being held for Ransom by DISH.

The contract issue has little to do with TCM but more to do with all the other Turner outlets like CNN.

I don't view DISH has holding TCM ransom.   Those with that POV should than also say that Turner is extorting DISH.

Again,  just a contract issue just like the Time Warner Dodgers deal that couldn't get done.    I predicted before the season started that there would NOT be a deal and I'm still predicting that a deal will NEVER be done,  unless the Dodgers agree to redo their deal with Time Warner.  

Archived