Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

A long time ago there was talk of cable being a la cart where you only had to pay for the channels you wanted instead of a bundled group of channels like we have now. This quietly disappeared in the next election cycle and went nowhere.

Hopefully in our lifetimes something like this is available.

Called DISH yesterday and complained about it, I felt as if I were talking to a wall.

This same thing happened with KBS (Korean Broadcasting) several months ago. No notice, just was turned off with no warning. My wife is Korean and boy you just don't mess with her Korean dramas. Ordered directtv the next day for the rest of the house as they have like 10 Korean channels and kept dish connected for TCM. Now after downgrading our directv and sending equip back I had to re-sign up for directv again so I won't miss any TCM and to also watch TCM on demand. I'm not a happy camper. I do have over 800 movies recorded from TCM on my portable hard drive which hopefully they won't be able to get to to erase.

If it went to alacarte then there would be dozens of channels that could not survive (what millennial is going to pay to watch MTV, VH1, ETC. which wouldn't bother me any. TCM, History, syfy, and other documentary channels is all I usually watch. Not everyone is interested in sports! Except NASCAR.

OBJ

If it went to alacarte then there would be dozens of channels that could not survive

Correct.

(what millennial is going to pay to watch MTV, VH1, ETC. which wouldn't bother me any.

First they came for the VH1 viewers, but I said nothing because I don't watch VH1.

TCM, History, syfy, and other documentary channels is all I usually watch.

Until TCM is one of the channels that can't survive. In a cable world with a lot fewer niche (or at least they were originally conceived as niche) channels, how many providers are going to be happy about a channel like TCM that doesn't have outside commercials?

Yes it is really the viewers being held for Ransom, not the station. So this is day two of TCM viewers being held for Ransom.

If TCM wants their viewers back they have to pay the ransom money, lol.

TCM doesn't pay,  DISH does.   Again,  just a simple contract dispute over price.    Those that place all the blame on DISH need to be careful what they wish for.

DISH could agree to terms that require them to raise the cost.    This is why I supported Cox cable when they did NOT purchase the Dodgers games.     Everyone with Cox would have seen a $3 - $4 monthly increase.   While I'm a Dodger fan that isn't worth it to me and of course for non sport fans any increase is a rip-off.

• Like 1

This same thing happened with KBS (Korean Broadcasting) several months ago. No notice, just was turned off with no warning. My wife is Korean and boy you just don't mess with her Korean dramas. 

OBJ

Hey OBJ! Ya think your wife could get me a good deal on a new Kia???

(...man, I'm tellin' ya, that new K900 model looks like a real winner!!!) ;)

Appears to me you are talking about Turner making a deal with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and YouTube to show their programming?  Why not contact Turner and ask why they don't, assuming they don't?

I did that very thing, twice :) . Its not available yet ! HBO opened the door and surely others will follow. Netflix is making far too much money. And cable/direct are losing 100,000's of customers each quarter.  Quiet as it is kept, cable is on the verge of collapse. Live sports is what's keeping it afloat. Notice how many new sports channels popping up recently. Not everyone watches sports.

I let them know that they have till the end of the month or I am gone. I won't pay another dime .They already don't have programming that I want. This is the last straw for me.

Eh, I did that too, since I pay all my bills the 25th of every month. Apparently, TWCable had my "connection dates" as going from the 15th to the 15th of each month. They actually sent me a BILL for $75 to cover the 2 weeks difference after cutting the cable cord!

roll.gif

And yes, I do think they hold people "ransom", as do cel phone/internet "providers". I am amazed that the general public believes these are NECESSITIES.

Even Public Assistance applications have boxes for you to state how much you pay per month for these things. Can't feed your kids properly but you have cable/dish TV? Really?

I turned my dish off this past summer. I survived somehow lol. Although GeTV ,MOVIES! and Bounce don't add up to TCM, If I can't get TCM then what is the difference ? 

Correct.

First they came for the VH1 viewers, but I said nothing because I don't watch VH1.

Until TCM is one of the channels that can't survive. In a cable world with a lot fewer niche (or at least they were originally conceived as niche) channels, how many providers are going to be happy about a channel like TCM that doesn't have outside commercials?

TCM would always be packaged with other Turner entities like TBS,TNT, CNN etc.. and those do have commercials. Netflix is only $7.99. I'd pay twice that or three times that to get such a package. Much less than the $80+ I'm paying now.

Applicable to all providers.

Step 1:  Call customer assistance and log a complaint.  Won't accomplish much, but puts it on the record.  Could also ask to speak to a supervisor.

Step 2:  WRITE a real letter to the CEO at the home office.  May have to google some to find it, but it's out there.  I did this with my provider a year or so ago, and would get techs at my house same day.  They ended up completely re-running underground cables from the street to my house and then new cables inside the house, not to mention new cable boxes.  A tech supervisor was put in charge of handling my problem and he gave me his cell phone number on day one.

Also, one of the CEO's assistants was put in charge of contacting me and local techs to make sure everything happened, it worked and it happened very quickly.

Part of the problem is that TCM does not have the deep pockets from advertising that ESPN and other networks have.

Maybe I should try this. Charter cable is included in my rental unit. I've had two techs out to my place because of picture tiling, the picture freezes or I lose the signal altogether. They replaced some wires on my side, but it's still happening. I will try the complaint thing.

I let them know that they have till the end of the month or I am gone. I won't pay another dime .They already don't have programming that I want. This is the last straw for me.

Eh, I did that too, since I pay all my bills the 25th of every month. Apparently, TWCable had my "connection dates" as going from the 15th to the 15th of each month. They actually sent me a BILL for $75 to cover the 2 weeks difference after cutting the cable cord!

roll.gif

And yes, I do think they hold people "ransom", as do cel phone/internet "providers". I am amazed that the general public believes these are NECESSITIES.

Even Public Assistance applications have boxes for you to state how much you pay per month for these things. Can't feed your kids properly but you have cable/dish TV? Really?

I get what you're saying.  I was very late to the cell-phone frenzy party.  I bought my first cell phone five years ago (pay-as-you-go or use it plan).  Two years ago, I bought a newer model phone with the same company.  With as much use as I get on it, it's good for me.  I only purchase more minutes one or two times a year.

As for the people on public assistance, I would hope they are purchasing the cheapest options for cable or dish viewing.  Free analog television is dead, isn't it?  Heard a statistic on the news today...40% of the people living in poverty in the U.S. do not have computers or computer access at home.  This proves to be detrimental in their ability to find jobs, let alone good jobs, as many employers are using technology to find prospective employees and those who know how to use the technologies of today..

I get what you're saying.  I was very late to the cell-phone frenzy party.  I bought my first cell phone five years ago (pay-as-you-go or use it plan).  Two years ago, I bought a newer model phone with the same company.  With as much use as I get on it, it's good for me.  I only purchase more minutes one or two times a year.

As for the people on public assistance, I would hope they are purchasing the cheapest options for cable or dish viewing.  Free analog television is dead, isn't it?  Heard a statistic on the news today...40% of the people living in poverty in the U.S. do not have computers or computer access at home.  This proves to be detrimental in their ability to find jobs, let alone good jobs, as many employers are using technology to find prospective employees and those who know how to use the technologies of today..

I just got mine a few months ago (well my wife got one for us since her cell phone is from her company).    I don't carry it with me unless I'm going some place where I may have to call the person at the place I'm going (e.g.  in case they are out for a short time or for directions).

I see no reason for people to reach me when I'm not at home and no reason for me to reach them expect as stated above.

• Like 2

I just got mine a few months ago (well my wife got one for us since her cell phone is from her company).    I don't carry it with me unless I'm going some place where I may have to call the person at the place I'm going (e.g.  in case they are out for a short time or for directions).

I see no reason for people to reach me when I'm not at home and no reason for me to reach them expect as stated above.

Haven't you ever seen Bells Are Ringing? Don't you realize (to extrapolate from a point about answering services in the show) that cell phones could have saved the lives of Romeo and Juliet?

We all know that DISH is the "Tracphone of Television", i.e., if you use up all your gigabytes allowed for the month, customers must purchase more just to check email (when bundling internet and tv) but now they've shown just how greedy they really are: a multi-billion dollar corporation that treats it's customers like waste. 
I encourage all DISH employees to stage a walk-out, as I'm sure the stress from complaining customers is more than they can bear. Or, if we the customers had the courage to boycott them entirely, that could work too. How much more of their greed can we stand? Do they really want us to watch FOX News? (msnbc is great, if you want "news shows" but it's just not the same as CNN.)
And CNN and TCM are---excuse me---WERE the channels I watched the most often.

Why is it that we have to suffer while these corporations have another dispute over dollars? Oh. I forgot.
People don't matter---money does.

I don't think a lot of folks posting on this thread understand how this programming works. Dish is trying to keep their programming costs low, which I actually appreciate. It is Turner Broadcasting that is obviously asking Dish to pay more for the programming than they want to pay. If they give in to Turner's demands, it will mean an increase in programming fees to us. I am a big fan of TCM, Cartoon Network, Boomerang as well. So I am definitely missing these channels. I hope they resolve this soon. But don't blame Dish for holding customers hostage. This is more on Turner than Dish...

I don't think a lot of folks posting on this thread understand how this programming works. Dish is trying to keep their programming costs low, which I actually appreciate. It is Turner Broadcasting that is obviously asking Dish to pay more for the programming than they want to pay. If they give in to Turner's demands, it will mean an increase in programming fees to us. I am a big fan of TCM, Cartoon Network, Boomerang as well. So I am definitely missing these channels. I hope they resolve this soon. But don't blame Dish for holding customers hostage. This is more on Turner than Dish...

Interesting perspective. But you're going to get the TCM apologists taking you to task and demanding that you show proof that it isn't Dish's fault. There is no way these people will say Turner is greedy.

• Like 1

We all know that DISH is the "Tracphone of Television", i.e., if you use up all your gigabytes allowed for the month, customers must purchase more just to check email (when bundling internet and tv) but now they've shown just how greedy they really are: a multi-billion dollar corporation that treats it's customers like waste. 

I encourage all DISH employees to stage a walk-out, as I'm sure the stress from complaining customers is more than they can bear. Or, if we the customers had the courage to boycott them entirely, that could work too. How much more of their greed can we stand? Do they really want us to watch FOX News? (msnbc is great, if you want "news shows" but it's just not the same as CNN.)

And CNN and TCM are---excuse me---WERE the channels I watched the most often.

Why is it that we have to suffer while these corporations have another dispute over dollars? Oh. I forgot.

People don't matter---money does.

Fascinating. The other over priced crooks are threatening this payment for internet time based on usage - what happened to the worry about cable having been a monopoly? Oh yeah, the lobbyists paid off the politicians and so deregulation did nothing at all for the customers.

Of course you are correct, Baminark, only the bottom line is of concern to these corporations. They don't care about their customers, so a walk-out or a boycott would mean nothing to them.

This is all nothing new, BTW. Cablevision stole 10 of my analog channels in the 1990s, forcing me to upgrade to digital. When given the chance - they had a choke-hold on the cable in Westchester for a long time - I switched to FIOS, which has proven (no surprise) to be equally thieving. And like others, I pay for tons of useless channels and watch only a few.

DISH and TCM will reach an accord, one of these days, and as noted, the customer will pay. They always do.

As for the people on public assistance, I would hope they are purchasing the cheapest options for cable or dish viewing.  Free analog television is dead, isn't it?  

Free television is NOT dead. I have an antenna ($50) hooked up to my digital TV and get about 30-40 digital channels. (funny that losers like QVC are available free)  I get all regional PBS stations (one shows classic movies all day, some great rarities too!) ME-TV and local 6pm news ...about all I care to view anyway aside from classic movies on DVD.

Heard a statistic on the news today...40% of the people living in poverty in the U.S. do not have computers or computer access at home.  This proves to be detrimental in their ability to find jobs, let alone good jobs, as many employers are using technology to find prospective employees and those who know how to use the technologies of today..

Every schmo has an internet cel phone package (except me) Having a home computer isn't necessary for applying for a job.

If you don't have a cel phone OR computer, all one has to do is visit your local library for a fast, free internet connection. There is a computer dedicated to job applications at every branch.

MrTiki does not have a computer at home, but can use his phone for an internet connection. He also has full TW cable including premium channels & services.

I, otoh, have a TV antenna, Mac desktop and cheapo limited cel phone for emergencies only. 

MrTeek pays more than 10 times what I do per month for his services.

As for the people on public assistance, I would hope they are purchasing the cheapest options for cable or dish viewing.  Free analog television is dead, isn't it?  

Free television is NOT dead. I have an antenna ($50) hooked up to my digital TV and get about 30-40 digital channels. (funny that losers like QVC are available free)  I get all regional PBS stations (one shows classic movies all day, some great rarities too!) ME-TV and local 6pm news ...about all I care to view anyway aside from classic movies on DVD.

Heard a statistic on the news today...40% of the people living in poverty in the U.S. do not have computers or computer access at home.  This proves to be detrimental in their ability to find jobs, let alone good jobs, as many employers are using technology to find prospective employees and those who know how to use the technologies of today..

Every schmo has an internet cel phone package (except me) Having a home computer isn't necessary for applying for a job.

If you don't have a cel phone OR computer, all one has to do is visit your local library for a fast, free internet connection. There is a computer dedicated to job applications at every branch.

MrTiki does not have a computer at home, but can use his phone for an internet connection. He also has full TW cable including premium channels & services.

I, otoh, have a TV antenna, Mac desktop and cheapo limited cel phone for emergencies only. 

MrTeek pays more than 10 times what I do per month for his services.

Most public libraries have computers, and many poor people use them. The Phila. public libraries have a number of computers which are reserved for job searches.;

Interesting perspective. But you're going to get the TCM apologists taking you to task and demanding that you show proof that it isn't Dish's fault. There is no way these people will say Turner is greedy.

The perspective that was stated is the correct one.    Turner is asking for more money and DISH is refusing.   Of course each company blames the other but as I noted if DISH gives in they will have to make up the increase.    Than the complainers will complain that DISH rasied it prices.

DISH is helping all consumers keep cost down.   If they give hin Turner as well as other content providers will view that as a benchmark and raise their prices.  

This is day three of TCM viewers being held for Ransom by DISH.

I don't agree with your perspective here at all.  It is Turner that is extorting consumers.  Not just DISH ones.   If Turner gets the price they are asking DISH they will ask other companies for an increase.  e.g.  my provider Cox and my monthly bill will go up.

Dish is helping to keep cost DOWN for ALL consumers.

• Like 1

Anybody have facts (not opinions) as to how much Dish was paying to TCM and how much TCM now wants?  How much is TCM getting from cable companies?

Remember when AMC was very similar to TCM and had no commercials?  Then it started adding commercials, dropped "classic movies" only format and was able to stay in business.  Actually now offers some very good series.

TCM has to make money somehow.  Dish has to make money somehow.  Cable companies have to make money somehow.

The perspective that was stated is the correct one.    Turner is asking for more money and DISH is refusing.   Of course each company blames the other but as I noted if DISH gives in they will have to make up the increase.    Than the complainers will complain that DISH rasied it prices.

DISH is helping all consumers keep cost down.   If they give hin Turner as well as other content providers will view that as a benchmark and raise their prices.  

I completely agree. 

I think what's happening is that Time Warner (the parent company) is telling Turner Classic Movies (and TBS et. al.) to show more profit in 2015. So there will be staffing cuts (to save money) and an increase in fees with the cable providers.

They are hoping that angry viewers will convince Dish to go along with the price hikes. And that laid off employees will go away quietly.

Corporate greed will affect programming quality and it will also affect whether people remain loyal to the brand(s).

Anybody have facts (not opinions) as to how much Dish was paying to TCM and how much TCM now wants?  How much is TCM getting from cable companies?

Remember when AMC was very similar to TCM and had no commercials?  Then it started adding commercials, dropped "classic movies" only format and was able to stay in business.  Actually now offers some very good series.

TCM has to make money somehow.  Dish has to make money somehow.  Cable companies have to make money somehow.

The L.A. Business section is covering this but they didn't have specific cost per station details.  But TCM is the small fry in this contract disbute.    CNN and especially TBS (which has sports programming) are the main drivers.    As you noted Turner wishes to increase revenues and DISH doesn't wish to pass them on to their customers.    These type of contract disputes are very common.   

e.g.  70% of the So Cal market didn't have access to Dodger games all last season and I don't see that dispute ever ending.