Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

I completely agree. 

I think what's happening is that Time Warner (the parent company) is telling Turner Classic Movies (and TBS et. al.) to show more profit in 2015. So there will be staffing cuts (to save money) and an increase in fees with the cable providers.

They are hoping that angry viewers will convince Dish to go along with the price hikes. And that laid off employees will go away quietly.

Corporate greed will affect programming quality and it will also affect whether people remain loyal to the brand(s).

So there will be staffing cuts (to save money)

Check.

and an increase in fees with the cable providers.

Check.

They are hoping that angry viewers will convince Dish to go along with the price hikes.

Check.

And that laid off employees will go away quietly.

Check.

Corporate greed will affect programming quality and it will also affect whether people remain loyal to the brand(s).

Check and double check.

Remember the first subway fare hike? Train ticket hike? Bridge toll hike? Remember the outrage?

Exactly.

People will be fired - laid off is a term only used for union employees who can come back at a later date, corporations FIRE people but use euphemisms - and go away quietly, because they are over 55 and will get severance.

People will get a bit angry at the hike in price, and then forget about it when the next sound bite hits the news channels.

You heard it here first.

People will get a bit angry at the hike in price, and then forget about it when the next sound bite hits the news channels.

You heard it here first.

Yes-- you are right. People will be so caught up in Robert Redford as Star of the Month-- and all the post 1968 classics that will dominate the airwaves during the 31 Days of Oscar that all these budget cuts and price increases will be overshadowed.

Then in March, when we are back to a regular month of TCM programming and it is even more of the usual suspects and even more public domain films in rotation-- we will return to this discussion about a drop in quality. Chicken Little will have his day because the TCM sky will be falling.

So there will be staffing cuts (to save money)

Check.

and an increase in fees with the cable providers.

Check.

They are hoping that angry viewers will convince Dish to go along with the price hikes.

Check.

And that laid off employees will go away quietly.

Check.

Check and double check.

Remember the first subway fare hike? Train ticket hike? Bridge toll hike? Remember the outrage?

Exactly.

People will be fired - laid off is a term only used for union employees who can come back at a later date, corporations FIRE people but use euphemisms - and go away quietly, because they are over 55 and will get severance.

You heard it here first.

If cable companies (e.g. Cox which I have),  don't agree with the price increase service will be discontinued.    This is now becoming a standard practice.   e.g. the Dodgers and Time Warner vesus many cable companies and Direct T.V.).

So there will be no price increase but instead no service.    That will cause even more anger by consumers.   (but the question remains WHO will consumers be angry at).    

Anybody have facts (not opinions) as to how much Dish was paying to TCM and how much TCM now wants?  How much is TCM getting from cable companies?

Every now and then one of the cable trade magazines publishes a list of the average monthly fees that cable and satellite companies pay to the various channels. TCM was at the lower end of the list in the 25 cents per viewer range. That might vary a little from cable company to cable company, but probably not by more then a few pennies either way.  Most of the money goes to the big sports networks like ESPN which tops the list in the $5+ catagory.

What helps smaller channels like TCM is the fact that the fee is paid for every subscriber the cable company has regardless of whether they watch a particular channel or not. So while people here will  often complain that they  have to pay for channels they don't watch just to get TCM, there are millions of people paying for TCM who will never watch it.

I doubt that TCM has much say in the matter, negotiations are probably handled for all the Turner networks at a corporate level.

• Like 1

I doubt that TCM has much say in the matter, negotiations are probably handled for all the Turner networks at a corporate level.

Which is why Dish viewers are also losing those other channels too. There's also the thing that the channels are sold as a sort of bundle too, in that to get the big channels they have to carry the lesser-interest channels from the same network, with haggling over which tier the channel can be put in.

There's also this old, but very interesting article on the way in which pretty much everybody in the TV business is a bad guy. (Who remembers how the cable providers used to try to use the law to bar DirecTV and Dish from offering over-the-air channels?)

Which is why Dish viewers are also losing those other channels too. 

I agree Fedya. I think mark was trying to shift the blame away from TCM. 

What's going to happen is this: people will go without TCM and TBS and other Turner services for awhile...and...wait for it...they will get used to going without them and find substitute products elsewhere.

TCM is the candy. Candy is being taken away from the baby. Baby finds something else as sweet to suck on. Baby forgets about old candy.

TCM is the candy. Candy is being taken away from the baby. Baby finds something else as sweet to suck on. Baby forgets about old candy.

Right now Babies are over on the DISH forum screaming bloody murder. Babies are NOT liking other sweets, lol.

Right now Babies are over on the DISH forum screaming bloody murder. Babies are NOT liking other sweets, lol.

At the DISH forum are these 'babies' willing to pay more for DISH?   If not they truely are babies.

This is the same thing that happened when Dodgers games were NOT available to 70% of the So Cal market.   At first all the blame was placed on the cable providers and Direct TV.   But once people found out how much Time-Warner was asked these providers to pony-up, on a per customer basis the tide shifted against Time-Warner.

As others have noted;  There is greed all around but it is silly to just fault the cable providers,  DISH, Direct T.V.  etc..  

At the DISH forum are these 'babies' willing to pay more for DISH?   If not they truely are babies.

Has DISH ever given rebates to the Babies when they got fees lowered? Maybe they need to change the way they charge customers so it adjusts with each contract. This is why we need a la cart channels, TW can set the price and then the public can choose if they want to pay instead of the smokey room dealing we get here.

Just near the end of Juke Girl, DISH cut out of the movie and suddenly put FX in TCM's place.  They said on the channel that Turner pulled its channels because they couldn't come to a settlement.  I'm betting it was just DISH being cheap.  Hollywood Reporter has an article saying that DISH hasn't returned to the table to discuss it.

I have been with DISH for many years but I am letting them know that unless they come to a settlement and bring back TCM really quickly, I am going to drop them!

update --- I just got off the phone with a DISH rep.  I told him to pass on to his bosses that I am very unhappy with this and I will switch to DIRECTV unless TCM is returned.  The rep said he understood that I am upset and said to make up for it he could give me a discount on my service.  I said I didn't want a discount...I subscribe to DISH in order to get TCM.  No TCM, I'm gone.

See this info from Dish TV:

http://www.fairsatellite.com/national/turner/whats-happening/?WT.svl=overview-button

http://www.fairsatellite.com/national/turner/news/?WT.svl=nav

• Like 1

Has DISH ever given rebates to the Babies when they got fees lowered? Maybe they need to change the way they charge customers so it adjusts with each contract. This is why we need a la cart channels, TW can set the price and then the public can choose if they want to pay instead of the smokey room dealing we get here.

Neither the cable companies,  Direct T.V.,  DISH,  or the media companies want a la cart.    While I'm for a la cart we do need to be careful what we wish for.  The cost of a nitch station like TCM might be a lot higher than one would expect.   Pricing would be determined on the number of consumers willing to pay for a station and in that type of model TCM might not survive or they would have to add commercials as a way to keep the cost to consumers 'reasonable'. 

http://www.fairsatellite.com/national/turner/?WT.svl=nav

Well, no, they're dirty rotten liars, they don't stand for you, they stand for themselves.

An example of the profit to one cable company:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-06/time-warner-tops-profit-estimates-on-television-affiliate-fees.html

More on bundling and a la carte programming:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/01/25/bundles-of-cable

As I said earlier, this will eventually be worked out, and the customer will lose. Because the customer will pay more.

Yes, Fedya, everyone in the television business - emphasis on business - is a bad guy. Some are just worse than others.

It’s either .50 cents per channel for 200 channels or $10 a channel for 10 channels. We will still be paying the same overall price per month.

I think so, too. They want to keep the money rolling in. They are not going to give discounts or make it so you can get by with $20 a month for your entire cable bill. No way. That's why other options like Netflix look appealing to consumers.

I think so, too. They want to keep the money rolling in. They are not going to give discounts or make it so you can get by with $20 a month for your entire cable bill. No way. That's why other options like Netflix look appealing to consumers.

Yeah, a lot of people think a-la-carte means $10 a month for their 10 favorite channels, but that's not right. It will be $100 a month for theri 10 favorite channels.

Everything changes, every company goes down on service and up on price.

I spent more money to go up to a 1.5 Meg ISP DSL service, and I got a year of seeing YouTube movies WITHOUT INTERUPTION at that speed. But now YouTube has changed and half the movies stop after a few minutes, and a pop-up ad from YouTube says I've got to down load a bunch of new programs to get non-stop movies now.

My telephone company guaranteed me DSL for $15 a month. Well, that turned out to be an "introductory" offer that lasted a year. Now I have to pay $28 a month for the same service, AND that is not a fast enough speed to watch all YouTube movies now.

A bunch of damn liars and crooks are running the companies now.

My own local bank was bought out by a major national bank and now they are lying to me about a lot of things and sending me commercials as spam on my email. I went to my local drive up windown to get some cash out, and before the girl cashed my check and gave me the money, SHE STARTED GIVING ME A COMMERCIAL ABOUT HOW i COULD GET A BIG LOAN FROM THAT BANK. A COMMERCIAL over the drive-through speaker system! I stopped her and said, I DON'T NEED A LOAN, JUST GIVE ME MY MONEY AND LET ME GET OUT OF HERE.

i JUST GOT A LETTER FROM MY BANK SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO CANCEL MY CREDIT CARD BECAUSE i DON'T USE IT ENOUGH. i'VE HAD THAT CARD SINCE 1968, WHICH IS 46 YEARS, AND NOW THEY ARE GOING TO CANCEL IT BECAUSE i DON'T USE IT ENOUGH TO SUIT THEM. WELL F. them.

So it's the same with Cable and Satellite TV and YouTube and the movie companies, TV channels, etc., etc.

They are cheating us and lying to us.

• Like 1

Everything changes, every company goes down on service and up on price.

I spent more money to go up to a 1.5 Meg ISP DSL service, and I got a year of seeing YouTube movies WITHOUT INTERUPTION at that speed. But now YouTube has changed and half the movies stop after a few minutes, and a pop-up ad from YouTube says I've got to down load a bunch of new programs to get non-stop movies now.

My telephone company guaranteed me DSL for $15 a month. Well, that turned out to be an "introductory" offer that lasted a year. Now I have to pay $28 a month for the same service, AND that is not a fast enough speed to watch all YouTube movies now.

A bunch of damn liars and crooks.

Amen.

Amen.

This was my phone company President about 8 years ago:

He was convicted of 19 counts of insider trading in Qwest stock on April 19, 2007[1] – charges he claims are U.S. government retaliation for his refusal to give customer data to the National Security Agency in February, 2001.[2]

On July 27, 2007, he was sentenced to six years in federal prison, and after appeals failed he reported to Federal Correctional Institution, Schuylkill in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania on April 14, 2009 to serve his sentence.[3] Nacchio finished serving his sentence on September 20, 2013.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Nacchio

This is my banK:

The news is not quite so good for bank customers, however. Earlier this month, Wells Fargo and nine other banks agreed to pay a combined $8.5 billion to settle the government's allegations that they had wrongfully foreclosed on homeowners.

For its own part of the foreclosure settlement, Wells Fargo said it would pay $766 million in cash and commit an extra $1.2 billion to "foreclosure prevention actions," such as mortgage modifications. The settlement also forced it to take a $644 million charge to fourth-quarter results.

But the payout, it seems, is only one part in a littany of Wells Fargo's fines and illicit behavior.

http://www.har.com/houston-real-estate-blogs/32604/After-Paying-Record-Fines,-Wells-Fargo-Back-To-%27Corrosive%27-Behavior%27,-Record-Earnings

My satellite TV provider:

DirecTV Inc. will pay $5.34 million to settle charges that its telemarketers called households listed on the national do-not-call registry to pitch satellite TV programming, Federal Trade Commission officials said Tuesday.

The proposed settlement, if approved by a federal judge in Los Angeles, would be the FTC's largest civil penalty in a consumer protection case.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/directv-fined-over-do-not-call/

Edited by FredCDobbs
  • Like 1

DirecTV Inc. will pay $5.34 million to settle charges that its telemarketers called households listed on the national do-not-call registry to pitch satellite TV programming, Federal Trade Commission officials said Tuesday.

I wish the **** politicians had to adhere to the do-not-call registry, too.

• Like 2

As I said earlier, this will eventually be worked out, and the customer will lose. Because the customer will pay more.

Yes, Fedya, everyone in the television business - emphasis on business - is a bad guy. Some are just worse than others.

Not that the customers are unalloyed good guys either. I always see a lot people in discussions about cable channels vs. cable providers and content whose attitude boils down to, "They have a big pile of money, and dammit, that's just not fair!" (Specifically, I'm thinking of the people I saw call for the government to force the NFL to break its contract with DirecTV over the Sunday Ticket because Feelings or something. To hell with contract law.) Heck, it's the attitude behind a whole lot of "consumer" reporting.

What helps smaller channels like TCM is the fact that the fee is paid for every subscriber the cable company has regardless of whether they watch a particular channel or not. So while people here will  often complain that they  have to pay for channels they don't watch just to get TCM, there are millions of people paying for TCM who will never watch it.

And that business model is fast becoming obsolete. Because too many streaming companies are offering customers exactly what they want, when they want it. Its getting to the point where its not worth paying for four to get one channel. And with cable/direct losing 100,000's of customers every quarter, they are getting desperate. That's why we see these disputes more and more often. More corporations trying to get a bigger slice of a shrinking pie. Eventually, it has to break.   

I know too many milleninals (age 18 to 34 ) who don't even have tv's or landlines. The newer generation has different tastes that the old establishment isn't satisfying. They have gone elsewhere. If these big wheels can't get it together, they will soon lose the whole thing.

And my roku box has something called "cafe noir". I guess I need to see what it is.

More corporations trying to get a bigger slice of a shrinking pie.

That's just part of it. Another ingredient is everyone needs to be making more

When I cut my cable off I was courted by every TV "service" provider imaginable. DISH's big selling point was "Sign up with us and your rates never go up like they do with cable!" which sounds suspect to me.

I bet DISH won't agree to pay more money because millions have signed up and expect "no increase". That means DISH takes that extra money for TCM/CNN package out of their own profits, gawd forbid.

Our entire basis in capitalism is making money from investing. Profits don't go up anymore, even banks don't give interest on holding your money for investment.

It was recently brought to my attention Insurance Co's work the same way as a bank-you give them your premium, they invest it and live off the interest-and the fewer claims they pay off, the more money they get to keep!

No wonder the American people feel cheated and lied to.

I am disgusted with business practices, so I voice my opinion with my dollars. No cable, no high speed internet, no cel phone "plans" and guess what? I'm fine.

• Like 1

Well, you get what you pay for. There are differences between cable/satellite providers. If CNN, TCM, etc., are important to DISH customers, they'll lobby to get them back, or leave, even if that means paying more elsewhere. We had a case in NYC a while back -- Time Warner Cable cut ABC-TV (a struggle between TW and Disney).  There was a lot of fuss and publicity, then it all went back the way it was.  My cable company -- RCN -- doesn't get NY1, a local station, because that is owned by Time Warner, and considered an enhancement for people to join TW (probably the least popular of the three cable options in my part of NYC).

If my cable company pulled TCM, I would switch to a company that provided it.

This is my 5000th post!  (I'd have a bit more but lost some in the changeover). I know I'm not in the league of many others, but it is a milestone!

This is my 5000th post!  (I'd have a bit more but lost some in the changeover). I know I'm not in the league of many others, but it is a milestone!

Good for you. I just hit 12,000 last week. I think we all lost some posts in the upgrade. I was happy to reach 10,000. There were a few times I had planned to curtail my posting activity but then I found I still had much more to say...like about this latest business with Dish. It is worth commenting on, because it signifies a trend in how people may no longer be able to watch TCM.