Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

Good for you. I just hit 12,000 last week. I think we all lost some posts in the upgrade. I was happy to reach 10,000. There were a few times I had planned to curtail my posting activity but then I found I still had much more to say...like about this latest business with Dish. It is worth commenting on, because it signifies a trend in how people may no longer be able to watch TCM. 

Nobody on the Silver Screen Oasis boards appears to be over 12,000.

Well, you get what you pay for. There are differences between cable/satellite providers. If CNN, TCM, etc., are important to DISH customers, they'll lobby to get them back, or leave, even if that means paying more elsewhere. We had a case in NYC a while back -- Time Warner Cable cut ABC-TV (a struggle between TW and Disney).  There was a lot of fuss and publicity, then it all went back the way it was.  My cable company -- RCN -- doesn't get NY1, a local station, because that is owned by Time Warner, and considered an enhancement for people to join TW (probably the least popular of the three cable options in my part of NYC).

If my cable company pulled TCM, I would switch to a company that provided it.

This is my 5000th post!  (I'd have a bit more but lost some in the changeover). I know I'm not in the league of many others, but it is a milestone!

Swithin, there my be differences between cable and satellite providers, but I don't believe there are any between the cable providers. I am of the opinion there is price fixing on the part of all cable providers.

I never wanted a satellite dish because they used to be the size of a small alien spaceship. They have come down in size, but due to inertia and the fact that Cablevision doesn't carry NJTV, I won't be leaving FIOS anytime soon - and they know it. Time Warner and Comcast are still black balled in Westchester.

As Fred so wisely opined, they are all liars and crooks.

WOW, I never realized what a quiet, demure misanthropic curmudgeon I was - only a lousy 1,348 posts! :)

Swithin, there my be differences between cable and satellite providers, but I don't believe there are any between the cable providers. I am of the opinion there is price fixing on the part of all cable providers.

I never wanted a satellite dish because they used to be the size of a small alien spaceship. They have come down in size, but due to inertia and the fact that Cablevision doesn't carry NJTV, I won't be leaving FIOS anytime soon - and they know it. Time Warner and Comcast are still black balled in Westchester.

WOW, I never realized what a quiet, demure misanthropic curmudgeon I was - only a lousy 1,348 posts! :)

You better get crackin'.

Day 4

220px-Ransom312.jpg

We need a la cart programming, and yes some bad channels will get dropped, hopefully the ones with infomercials that lie all night, lol. We never needed an NBA channel, MLB channel, NFL channel either, things were fine before those. They keep spreading out the sports so you need 50 channels to see what they had on 4 or 5 before. Stop the Madness@!!

PS I checked CNN ratings and it is lower due to this, so we will see who blinks first.

Well, in terms of number of posts, I joined on July 1, 2006. So that factors into it.

In terms of cable companies, there are differences -- maybe not major, but important to some. In my building, my cable choices are RCN (my company); Time Warner; and FIOS.  Only TW has NY1, which is very important to some people in NYC (but not to me).  When the building was wired for FIOS, I checked out the lineups of the three cable providers. There are differences. FIOS doesn't have TCM in HD, which is important to me (those Whit Stillman movies last month were great in HD!) There are other channels that only appear on different tiers of the various plans. I have the triple play with RCN: cable, Internet, landline. I could get a better price from FIOS, but I do like RCN so I'm sticking with it for now. 

And that business model is fast becoming obsolete. Because too many streaming companies are offering customers exactly what they want, when they want it. Its getting to the point where its not worth paying for four to get one channel. And with cable/direct losing 100,000's of customers every quarter, they are getting desperate. That's why we see these disputes more and more often. More corporations trying to get a bigger slice of a shrinking pie. Eventually, it has to break.   

I know too many milleninals (age 18 to 34 ) who don't even have tv's or landlines. The newer generation has different tastes that the old establishment isn't satisfying. They have gone elsewhere. If these big wheels can't get it together, they will soon lose the whole thing.

And my roku box has something called "cafe noir". I guess I need to see what it is.

The 'newer generation' is paying more per month to view content from their hand held devices then what the 'older generation' is paying for cable.   What is nice now is the software that allows one to display the content on one's large screen TV from a hand held device.

But at the end of the day,   the overall monthly rate for content is about the same for the various methods out there UNLESS one really is satisfied with very limited content (e.g.  2 sources).     Note that most people in that 'newer generation' are never satisfied. 

Like Rocco in Key Largo,  they want MORE! 

We need a la cart programming, and yes some bad channels will get dropped, hopefully the ones with infomercials that lie all night, lol. We never needed an NBA channel, MLB channel, NFL channel either, things were fine before those. They keep spreading out the sports so you need 50 channels to see what they had on 4 or 5 before. Stop the Madness@!!

PS I checked CNN ratings and it is lower due to this, so we will see who blinks first.

If you want a la cart programming, you need to contact your Congressional delegation as they are the only ones who can make it happen.  But be warned, many channels will go out of business and TCM might just be one of them.

• Like 1

If you want a la cart programming, you need to contact your Congressional delegation as they are the only ones who can make it happen.  But be warned, many channels will go out of business and TCM might just be one of them.

Not to worry. The lobbyists are paying off the politicians to make sure this never happens.

Not to worry. The lobbyists are paying off the politicians to make sure this never happens.

I knew a crooked mayor in a small town about 25 years ago. He trusted me and told me lots of stuff about how he worked his deals.

For example, he had $50,000 he could donate to one of the two candidates for Governor. He decided to donate $25,000 to each one, so that whichevre one won the election, they would pay him back with lots of favors and state contracts. So, to a rich crook like him, it didn't matter which one won the election.

He trusted me to tell me this because he knew that I was concerned that he might have me shot if I ever exposed any of his scams.

I knew a crooked mayor in a small town about 25 years ago. He trusted me and told me lots of stuff about how he worked his deals.

For example, he had $50,000 he could donate to one of the two candidates for Governor. He decided to donate $25,000 to each one, so that whichevre one won the election, they would pay him back with lots of favors and state contracts. So, to a rich crook like him, it didn't matter which one won the election.

He trusted me to tell me this because he knew that I was concerned that he might have me shot if I ever exposed any of his scams.

Hopefully for you, that former crooked mayor is not now on these boards.

This one goes in my Top Ten Fred C Dobbs Posts of All Time. Great anecdote. Hopefully the Dish-Turner debacle won't involve any bribery!

We never needed an NBA channel, MLB channel, NFL channel either, things were fine before those.

Just because you don't need those channels doesn't mean nobody else does. I'm sure a lot of people think things were fine before TCM came around.

Just because you don't need those channels doesn't mean nobody else does. I'm sure a lot of people think things were fine before TCM came around.

It appears many here don't understand the business model in play here like you do.    These one-content type of channels were created because the content producer (e.g. the Lakers,  Dodgers, etc...), couldn't get the revenue they wanted from the standard network stations (NBC, ABC, FOX,  CBS), local stations or cable only ones.     This is especially true for a local station (e.g. where one could find the Lakers before their own station was created),  since a local station doesn't generate enough revenue to pay for a product like the Lakers.

An a-la-cart type business model is likely to lead to more one-content type channels.    

Already being done, Fred. Google 'cable television lobbyists'.

The National Association of Broadcasters (the over the air channels) aren't saints either by a long shot. In the Virginia Postrel article I posted several pages back one of the interesting struggles in the 90s was the "must carry" rules by which the cable operators had to carry OTA channels. They hated this -- until they realized that they had something the satellite providers didn't have, and tried to bar the satellite providers from carrying OTA channels. When that didn't stop the losing of customers to satellite, they did a volte-face and tried to force the satellite operators to carry the OTA channels too on the thinking that the satellite providers would have to drop other channels for lack of bandwidth.

The "must carry" rules have been loosened significantly, and as I understand it, cable and satellite providers are certainly under no obligation to carry the digital subchannels.

Yes what was I thinking. If one person needs the Pinochle channel then who am I to complain. The current system is wonderful, lol.

We live in a rural area and can only get 2 channels with an antenna, cable isn't an option either. We can't get DSL so watching TV online is out of the question. Dish or Direct TV is our only options. We had Direct TV years ago and moved to Dish during one of the these disputes. We pay for Dish so we can watch TCM. It is a sacrifice since we are older with a limited income but it's all we really have. Right now we are spending money on a lot of channels that we consider worthless. The TV remains off except to watch the news in the evening. As soon as our contract is up I suppose we'll just cancel because we are fed up with Dish/Direct TV and the networks disputes at our expense. Believe it or not the networks and the companies like Dish are also the losers because of these cat and mouse antics.....more and more families are pulling the plug. These are still difficult times for many people, we deserve better for the obscene amounts of money we are expected to pay Dish and other providers. Maybe someday we'll be able to pick and choose the channels we actually want...that we actually watch without all the trash channels that I doubt anyone watches. It would be better to offer A La Carte than to totally lose the customers who are leaving in large numbers. With all that said, we love TCM, we miss the movies without the commericals.

TCM says contact Dish and Dish says to contact TCM. I feel like we're being held hostage and have no say in the outcome BUT we are the ones paying the price of all this. We considered switching back to Direct TV but when it comes time to negotiate with Turner, we'd be going through this again so.........  :(

I've never had a satellite service - only basic cable. I can cancel any time I wish (though they will charge me for 30 days if I fail to notify them 30 days ahead of termination).

Is a contract necessary to receive service by satellite - like DISH?

I've never had a satellite service - only basic cable. I can cancel any time I wish (though they will charge me for 30 days if I fail to notify them 30 days ahead of termination).

Is a contract necessary to receive service by satellite - like DISH?

With Dish and Direct TV, they both require a 2 year contract. If cable was an option for us, we'd go with that.

We live in a rural area and can only get 2 channels with an antenna, cable isn't an option either. We can't get DSL so watching TV online is out of the question. Dish or Direct TV is our only options. We had Direct TV years ago and moved to Dish during one of the these disputes. We pay for Dish so we can watch TCM. It is a sacrifice since we are older with a limited income but it's all we really have. Right now we are spending money on a lot of channels that we consider worthless. The TV remains off except to watch the news in the evening. As soon as our contract is up I suppose we'll just cancel because we are fed up with Dish/Direct TV and the networks disputes at our expense. Believe it or not the networks and the companies like Dish are also the losers because of these cat and mouse antics.....more and more families are pulling the plug. These are still difficult times for many people, we deserve better for the obscene amounts of money we are expected to pay Dish and other providers. Maybe someday we'll be able to pick and choose the channels we actually want...that we actually watch without all the trash channels that I doubt anyone watches. It would be better to offer A La Carte than to totally lose the customers who are leaving in large numbers. With all that said, we love TCM, we miss the movies without the commericals.

TCM says contact Dish and Dish says to contact TCM. I feel like we're being held hostage and have no say in the outcome BUT we are the ones paying the price of all this. We considered switching back to Direct TV but when it comes time to negotiate with Turner, we'd be going through this again so.........  :(

there it is! in big bad java or flash or whatever they call that. call dish and complain about them droppin' tcm and then ring around the rosey. :lol:

there it is! in big bad java or flash or whatever they call that. call dish and complain about them droppin' tcm and then ring around the rosey. :lol:

Dish and Direct TV my foot. I would no more get into that than buy a smart TV. Life is too complicated these days.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5ue1k9.jpg

• Like 1