Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

With Dish and Direct TV, they both require a 2 year contract. If cable was an option for us, we'd go with that.

Too bad they don't have to guarantee their channel lineup for those two years that you're locked in. They should - fair's fair.

If the lineup you signed up for should change, that should be grounds for you to get out of the contract.

Too bad they don't have to guarantee their channel lineup for those two years that you're locked in. They should - fair's fair.

If the lineup you signed up for should change, that should be grounds for you to get out of the contract.

No, Per Dish, they state they don't guarantee you any channels. :wacko:

They get everything their way.

I can just imagine what someone who signed a 2 year contract a month ago - just so they could get TCM - is going through right now.

As Fred Dobbs so succinctly put it: all cable companies are liars and crooks.

I was a customer of Cablevision for years and years and years, they had a monopoly in Westchester. Over time, they stole 10 analog channels, TCM being one of them, to force everyone to digital. I told them the minute another cable company paid off enough politicians to let them into Westchester, I was gone. They didn't care.

So the liar and crook FIOS paid off enough politicians to come into Westchester, and I switched. No, they're no better.

Fun part: less than a month later, Cablevision paid a salesman to come to my door in an attempt to get me to switch back. I didn't.

Seems Dish and Direct TV are no different from any of the other liar and crook cable companies. But hey, whose fault is that? Ours.

I look forward to the day when streaming and all the other alternative methods of viewing television make the cable companies sweat.

As Fred Dobbs so succinctly put it: all cable companies are liars and crooks.

I was a customer of Cablevision for years and years and years, they had a monopoly in Westchester. Over time, they stole 10 analog channels, TCM being one of them, to force everyone to digital. I told them the minute another cable company paid off enough politicians to let them into Westchester, I was gone. They didn't care.

So the liar and crook FIOS paid off enough politicians to come into Westchester, and I switched. No, they're no better.

Fun part: less than a month later, Cablevision paid a salesman to come to my door in an attempt to get me to switch back. I didn't.

Seems Dish and Direct TV are no different from any of the other liar and crook cable companies. But hey, whose fault is that? Ours.

I look forward to the day when streaming and all the other alternative methods of viewing television make the cable companies sweat.

yeah, but at least a cable provider will give a subscriber the needed equipment. certainly the cost for installation and a converter box is preferable to the cost of a satellite dish. :)

I believe that most cable companies are shifting their focus away from television and are concentrating on providing Internet access. This allows them to collect from companies such as Netflix in exchange for not throttling bandwidth access and to collect from consumers. They love this manner of double-dipping. 

I have read that many cable company executives wish there was a manner of operation which separated their service from carriage costs because consumers blame them for high subscription prices when the vast majority of the money goes to the channels. Ala' carte is not a viable option because of the necessity of expensive new equipment for what is essentially a dying business.

I believe that most cable companies are shifting their focus away from television and are concentrating on providing Internet access. This allows them to collect from companies such as Netflix in exchange for not throttling bandwidth access and to collect from consumers. They love this manner of double-dipping. 

I have read that many cable company executives wish there was a manner of operation which separated their service from carriage costs because consumers blame them for high subscription prices when the vast majority of the money goes to the channels. Ala' carte is not a viable option because of the necessity of expensive new equipment for what is essentially a dying business.

If someone believes 'they' are all rip-offs why would they assume that the companies that provide streaming services are going to be any better then the cable or satellite companies.   Competition should keep prices in check but the days where the only service one could get was from a cable company are long gone (E.g. satellite service) and comppetition has keep prices from going up.

My prediction is the cost of streaming ala carte type service will be in the same ball park as bundled cable service.

yeah, but at least a cable provider will give a subscriber the needed equipment. certainly the cost for installation and a converter box is preferable to the cost of a satellite dish. :)

? Satellite providers don't include the satellite? On a rip-off rental fee, just like the cable companies?

I'm so glad this was all deregulated. Wouldn't you love to know what the politicians pocket in kickback fees from all these L&C?

? Satellite providers don't include the satellite? On a rip-off rental fee, just like the cable companies?

I'm so glad this was all deregulated. Wouldn't you love to know what the politicians pocket in kickback fees from all these L&C?

Dish provides the satellite, I believe it's an equipment rental fee like any other cable company. Though I think at some point, you're given the option to buy the equipment outright.

Dish provides the satellite, I believe it's an equipment rental fee like any other cable company. Though I think at some point, you're given the option to buy the equipment outright.

"Buying the equipment" is a basic part of your monthly fee. As much as $5 or more dollars a month pays for the equipment until you own it..... however, you continue to pay the same fees long after you've paid for it.

I learned in the electronic magazine business years ago, that a $300 electronic item (retail price) is purchased by a company (a store or retail company) for half that or even less. So, now it is a $150 item. Half of that goes to the distributor and the company whose manufacturing name is on the equipment (middle-men). So now it is a $75 item. Half of that goes to wholesalers and factories that make the equipment, and half of that, $37.50 is the factory sales price for the item, and the factory has to pay half of that, $18.75, which is the factory's cost to manufacture the equipment, which is often made in 3rd world countries by starving children, slaves, and political prisoners.

So, you are paying $300 for an item that cost $18.75 to make, and you CONTINUE to pay your fee until long after you've already paid enough to own it. So you might wind up paying $600 for an item that cost $18.75 to manufacture.

That's why it is more profitible to be a Capitalist than a Consumer. :)

I don't mess around with their stupid equipment rental fees; I just bought the dish and receiver I wanted, installed them, and called up Dish to sign up for a programming package.  Now, that means that if something goes wrong with the equipment, I have to either fix it or replace it myself, but it also means that I'm not paying X dollars per month for years on end for the equipment (which would add up to FAR more than I paid for it); I only pay the programming fee.

• Like 1

I don't mess around with their stupid equipment rental fees; I just bought the dish and receiver I wanted, installed them, and called up Dish to sign up for a programming package.  Now, that means that if something goes wrong with the equipment, I have to either fix it or replace it myself, but it also means that I'm not paying X dollars per month for years on end for the equipment (which would add up to FAR more than I paid for it); I only pay the programming fee.

I own my 17 year old box. I remember having cable and having to pay rent for a box and remote. And if you got your own box and remote they frowned upon you. I have never rented anything from Dish.And when I needed the dish moved, that was free also. That was the deal when I bought it back in the 90's. I thought it was always that way.

Dish and Direct TV my foot. I would no more get into that than buy a smart TV. Life is too complicated these days.

:lol::lol::lol:

5ue1k9.jpg

I have one of those on my wall right now. It works so well I bought one for my friend who can no longer afford cable. I have that plus a smart tv. So I can stream and watch OTA television for about 1/5 my dish cost.

Your cable provider rents it to you. Its included in your monthly cost. Cable gives nothing away ! As was stated earlier. 

If someone believes 'they' are all rip-offs why would they assume that the companies that provide streaming services are going to be any better then the cable or satellite companies.   Competition should keep prices in check but the days where the only service one could get was from a cable company are long gone (E.g. satellite service) and comppetition has keep prices from going up.

My prediction is the cost of streaming ala carte type service will be in the same ball park as bundled cable service.

Well today netfilx is about $8 a month. Amazon $100 a year which is $8.33 a month. My dish is $80 a month. For that much of a difference, I'll take my chances. And if they go too high, I'll just turn on my roku. It has classic films also.

"Buying the equipment" is a basic part of your monthly fee. As much as $5 or more dollars a month pays for the equipment until you own it..... however, you continue to pay the same fees long after you've paid for it.

I learned in the electronic magazine business years ago, that a $300 electronic item (retail price) is purchased by a company (a store or retail company) for half that or even less. So, now it is a $150 item. Half of that goes to the distributor and the company whose manufacturing name is on the equipment (middle-men). So now it is a $75 item. Half of that goes to wholesalers and factories that make the equipment, and half of that, $37.50 is the factory sales price for the item, and the factory has to pay half of that, $18.75, which is the factory's cost to manufacture the equipment, which is often made in 3rd world countries by starving children, slaves, and political prisoners.

So, you are paying $300 for an item that cost $18.75 to make, and you CONTINUE to pay your fee until long after you've already paid enough to own it. So you might wind up paying $600 for an item that cost $18.75 to manufacture.

That's why it is more profitible to be a Capitalist than a Consumer. :)

Notice everytime you buy any electronic product, they pressure you to buy some 4 year warranty ? Its all pure profit . That's why they push it so hard. Or every fast food meal charges a dollar for a drink that costs them a nickel ? Every business has that one product or division where they get outrageous profit margins. 

I never rented anything from dish. As a matter of fact, my dish is so old they need me to upgrade to a new one. No contract. No cost. A free HD box and dish :-) just to get me to stay.

You don't they're already sweating ? Did you hear that call that went viral when a subscriber wanted to leave comcast ?

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-block-10/comcastic-service

When you the customer sign on to a cable or satellite service you are usually locked in to stay on , at their rate, for a period of time. So if I sign on to a service, buying a premium package to get a channel like TCM, then the service abruptly drops that channel, why shouldn't I have the right to abruptly drop the service, or at least drop down to a lower rate level of that service?  

• Like 1

When you the customer sign on to a cable or satellite service you are usually locked in to stay on , at their rate, for a period of time. So if I sign on to a service, buying a premium package to get a channel like TCM, then the service abruptly drops that channel, why shouldn't I have the right to abruptly drop the service, or at least drop down to a lower rate level of that service?  

Because they're...........Fred, you want to take it from here? :lol:

Case in point - I have no contract with FIOS. However, they can - and do - raise rates whenever their greedy little hearts desire. My choice, my risk.

Cable companies are not in the business of satisfying customers. They are in the business of money. Period.

I have one of those on my wall right now. It works so well I bought one for my friend who can no longer afford cable. I have that plus a smart tv. So I can stream and watch OTA television for about 1/5 my dish cost.

Your cable provider rents it to you. Its included in your monthly cost. Cable gives nothing away ! As was stated earlier. 

Well today netfilx is about $8 a month. Amazon $100 a year which is $8.33 a month. My dish is $80 a month. For that much of a difference, I'll take my chances. And if they go too high, I'll just turn on my roku. It has classic films also.

Notice everytime you buy any electronic product, they pressure you to buy some 4 year warranty ? Its all pure profit . That's why they push it so hard. Or every fast food meal charges a dollar for a drink that costs them a nickel ? Every business has that one product or division where they get outrageous profit margins. 

I never rented anything from dish. As a matter of fact, my dish is so old they need me to upgrade to a new one. No contract. No cost. A free HD box and dish :-) just to get me to stay.

You don't they're already sweating ? Did you hear that call that went viral when a subscriber wanted to leave comcast ?

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-block-10/comcastic-service

Amazon $100 a year which is $8.33 a month.

Yes, but for $100. a year Amazon also gives you 2 day free shipping, access to just about everything on this planet, including car parts, and some of the best customer service out there.

FIOS and Cablevision give you jack besides the overpriced media bundle and equipment rental, and it's $200. a month for FIOS.

Good, I'm glad they're all sweating. But I want to see them get hurt where it hurts the most to them, their wallets.

When you say classic films, what does ROKU access? I know I can see ACORN on ROKU, but ACORN costs (at least right now) $50. a year. Does ROKU have a library?

Yes, but for $100. a year Amazon also gives you 2 day free shipping, access to just about everything on this planet, including car parts, and some of the best customer service out there.

FIOS and Cablevision give you jack besides the overpriced media bundle and equipment rental, and it's $200. a month for FIOS.

Do you consider it a plus or a minus that cable companies will be very accommodating in taking any person's money while Amazon refuses to allow people to have accounts if they can not use a telephone or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?

TWC has stepped up their services recently by allowing access to television packages via tablet via their free wifi. This option has greatly improved the quality of life of some of the veterans with whom I have regular contact.  

Do you consider it a plus or a minus that cable companies will be very accommodating in taking any person's money while Amazon refuses to allow people to have accounts if they can not use a telephone or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?

TWC has stepped up their services recently by allowing access to television packages via tablet via their free wifi. This option has greatly improved the quality of life of some of the veterans with whom I have regular contact.  

Amazon refuses to allow people to have accounts if they can not use a telephone or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?

Refuses? Can you explain further?

if they can not use a telephone

Cannot physically use a telephone?

or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?

If a person is able bodied and travels between home, rehab and a hospital, wouldn't that person have a laptop at home and a tablet on the go?

I'm not understanding, and I would like to pursue with Amazon.

Amazon refuses to allow people to have accounts if they can not use a telephone or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?

Refuses? Can you explain further?

It is not possible to establish an account with Amazon if you can not provide a telephone number. Amazon will neither provide options nor waive the requirement. 

if they can not use a telephone
Cannot physically use a telephone?

Those with hearing impairments typically use TTD/TTY and so have telephone numbers.

Those whose conditions mean that they are greatly affected by having disembodied voices speaking directly to them generally do not have access to such equipment or available equipment is inappropriate. 

Those whose conditions mean that conversations are difficult to maintain have similar situation.

or their time is irregularly divided between home, physical rehabilitation facility or hospital?
If a person is able bodied and travels between home, rehab and a hospital, wouldn't that person have a laptop at home and a tablet on the go?

It is here a question of Amazon requiring a physical street address and will routinely ship parcels to that address even when an alternative address is supplied. 

It is frequent occurrence that these people will push beyond routine or assigned physical rehabilitation activities and by doing so cause stress or injury which requires them to stay at facility overnight or even to be hospitalized. It is common also that a scan performed at hospital as part of routine evaluation of progress reveals a development which must be evaluated. This can quickly change an expected hour at hospital into an overnight stay while evaluation is performed and response formulated.

Many of these people have their important mail and all packages sent to a post office box where the items will be held securely. Amazon requiring a physical street address virtually assures that they will at times send packages to that address even although it is not secure. Their dependence on UPS has resulted in many instances of: notice left on door, expensive cab ride to UPS terminal, UPS refuses to release package to person because they do not have a driver's license, package returned to Amazon marked: 'delivery refused.'

Of import also is that Amazon streaming must be over public wifi which is often overloaded and/or insufficient for reliable streaming of video. The wifi which TWC has installed in many places for use by their customers is more than adequate for good viewing experience.

Amazon is well acquainted with these issues. The best outcome to date of which I am aware is the paying of lip service with no actual change in policies nor accommodation of disability. More typical is that a potential customer will send an e-mail beginning: "I can not use a telephone" and Amazon's response is: "you must call customer service to resolve this issue."

It is not possible to establish an account with Amazon if you can not provide a telephone number. Amazon will neither provide options nor waive the requirement. 

Those with hearing impairments typically use TTD/TTY and so have telephone numbers.

Those whose conditions mean that they are greatly affected by having disembodied voices speaking directly to them generally do not have access to such equipment or available equipment is inappropriate. 

Those whose conditions mean that conversations are difficult to maintain have similar situation.

It is here a question of Amazon requiring a physical street address and will routinely ship parcels to that address even when an alternative address is supplied. 

It is frequent occurrence that these people will push beyond routine or assigned physical rehabilitation activities and by doing so cause stress or injury which requires them to stay at facility overnight or even to be hospitalized. It is common also that a scan performed at hospital as part of routine evaluation of progress reveals a development which must be evaluated. This can quickly change an expected hour at hospital into an overnight stay while evaluation is performed and response formulated.

Many of these people have their important mail and all packages sent to a post office box where the items will be held securely. Amazon requiring a physical street address virtually assures that they will at times send packages to that address even although it is not secure. Their dependence on UPS has resulted in many instances of: notice left on door, expensive cab ride to UPS terminal, UPS refuses to release package to person because they do not have a driver's license, package returned to Amazon marked: 'delivery refused.'

Of import also is that Amazon streaming must be over public wifi which is often overloaded and/or insufficient for reliable streaming of video. The wifi which TWC has installed in many places for use by their customers is more than adequate for good viewing experience.

Amazon is well acquainted with these issues. The best outcome to date of which I am aware is the paying of lip service with no actual change in policies nor accommodation of disability. More typical is that a potential customer will send an e-mail beginning: "I can not use a telephone" and Amazon's response is: "you must call customer service to resolve this issue."

Ah! Thank you, Sans Fin. Now I understand.

My thoughts exactly. What I'm wondering is how people are cancelling their Dish and going somewhere else without penalties? Are people cancelling and going somewhere new and letting the penalties stick? I really want to cancel Dish I'm so upset. The ONLY two channels we watched were TCM and CNN. Even though I"ve dropped down to the lowest package its a waste of my money since I watch nothing on my TV. Is there anything we can do besides just complain?

Never pay your cable or sat bill by credit or debit card, because they can keep billing those cards forever, even after you are dead.

Pay by check only. And then just stop paying if they drop the premium packages you have purchased and expected to see.

Never pay your cable or sat bill by credit or debit card, because they can keep billing those cards forever, even after you are dead.

Pay by check only. And then just stop paying if they drop the premium packages you have purchased and expected to see.

What happens if you've already paid by credit card? I've had my bill automatically taken out for years. I would venture to say that most people pay that way.

What happens if you've already paid by credit card? I've had my bill automatically taken out for years. I would venture to say that most people pay that way.

Call your credit card company and ask them if there is anything you or they can do for you. They might be able to stop the automatic payments for you, since you are no longer getting what you have been paying for.

http://members.visa.com/auto-billpay/visacheck/faqs.jsp#anchor_20

How do I stop or discontinue automatic bill payment?

Contact billers directly to cancel or discontinue any scheduled Automatic Bill Payment. Some billers require advance notice to discontinue automatic payments, so allow additional time for any changes to your payment service. You may also contact your Visa card issuer to ensure that automatic payments to your biller are stopped in the future.