Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

Call your credit card company and ask them if there is anything you or they can do for you. They might be able to stop the automatic payments for you, since you are no longer getting what you have been paying for.

Great suggestion! I will do that first thing in the morning. Its very frustrating to sit here and just take this. I called Dish and they were awful to me. Very condescending. It took 90 minutes for them to take 10.00 off my bill for each month I don't receive TCM etc but in the end that doesn't really help me. I want the channels I signed up to get. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll report back as to what happens.

My thoughts exactly. What I'm wondering is how people are cancelling their Dish and going somewhere else without penalties? Are people cancelling and going somewhere new and letting the penalties stick? I really want to cancel Dish I'm so upset. The ONLY two channels we watched were TCM and CNN. Even though I"ve dropped down to the lowest package its a waste of my money since I watch nothing on my TV. Is there anything we can do besides just complain?

After the 2 year contract is up there are no penalties so I assume a lot of people are no longer under contract to Dish.

DISH has always played hardball with content providers. Hopefully, this will be short lived.

I'm really glad I don't still have DISH this month, especially. Overall, however, I admit I liked them better than Comcast.

Someone here mentioned that Time-Warner has TCM in a higher tier. Was that always true, or only since the Comcast merger? Comcast has always, since I switched, kept TCM on a higher digital tier. 

That's very interesting. AMC Network must be demanding more money too just like Turner Network. I'll bet that Dish and DTV are teaming up together to do battle with the content providers.

Anyone that has Dish remembers that they raised their prices a year ago saying costs have gone up for what they have to pay to the content providers. All of their prices increased, $3.00 for packages, the DVR fee went up, and their premium channel prices increased. They gave everyone 5 free pay per view movies saying they were sorry for any inconvenience. 

Dish and DTV know that they can't continue to pay more each year to the networks and keep raising prices on the consumer without cutting their on throats so so they have drawn a line in the sand and saying no to Turner Network and AMC Network.on their price increases. 

• Like 1

That's very interesting. AMC Network must be demanding more money too just like Turner Network. I'll bet that Dish and DTV are teaming up together to do battle with the content providers.

Anyone that has Dish remembers that they raised their prices a year ago saying costs have gone up for what they have to pay to the content providers. All of their prices increased, $3.00 for packages, the DVR fee went up, and their premium channel prices increased. They gave everyone 5 free pay per view movies saying they were sorry for any inconvenience. 

Dish and DTV know that they can't continue to pay more each year to the networks and keep raising prices on the consumer without cutting their on throats so so they have drawn a line in the sand and saying no to Turner Network and AMC Network.on their price increases. 

Great post. And eventually, it will be Turner and AMC that are cutting their own throats. They will turn even the most loyal viewers against their products and services. Greed is ruining them, and it's all downhill from here, baby.

From what I've read a lot of people watch AMC now for some series, can't recall the name. I don't watch any of those. I always loved AMC years ago but they show so few movies I enjoy now and if they do it's too filled with commericals which results in chopping up the movie. It's kind of like TV Land, they drifted away from the original concept.

From what I've read a lot of people watch AMC now for some series, can't recall the name. I don't watch any of those. I always loved AMC years ago but they show so few movies I enjoy now and if they do it's too filled with commericals which results in chopping up the movie. It's kind of like TV Land, they drifted away from the original concept.

Oy - I didn't watch Mad Men and I don't watch The Walking Dead. I don't do commercials, not on network television, and certainly not on formerly great movie channels!

They don't miss me, however - both shows are HUGE money makers.

Patti, do you remember Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney? Funny, I can't remember them hawking anything, but I do remember their spotlights on notable and grand movie theaters from the good old days.

I liked TV Land and even Nick At Nite. Both had good old television shows. Can't remember the channel, but back in the stone age of 1982, I even remember a channel (might have been local) that showed The Molly Goldberg Show, The Joan Davis Show, and Burns and Allen in prime time. B&A is on at 3:00am on some channel or other.

As Mary Hopkin sang: Those were the days.

• Like 1

Oy - I didn't watch Mad Men and I don't watch The Walking Dead. I don't do commercials, not on network television, and certainly not on formerly great movie channels!

They don't miss me, however - both shows are HUGE money makers.

Patti, do you remember Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney? Funny, I can't remember them hawking anything, but I do remember their spotlights on notable and grand movie theaters from the good old days.

I liked TV Land and even Nick At Nite. Both had good old television shows. Can't remember the channel, but back in the stone age of 1982, I even remember a channel (might have been local) that showed The Molly Goldberg Show, The Joan Davis Show, and Burns and Allen in prime time. B&A is on at 3:00am on some channel or other.

As Mary Hopkin sang: Those were the days.

I do remember Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney. I think Nick was the brother of  Rosemary Clooney. I still miss the old AMC format.

Funny you should mention The Molly Goldberg Show, I was just watching that this morning. My daughter bought me the DVD set a few years.

Oh I do miss the days, not that long ago when TV Land and a few others aired the great old shows. I hear there are some newer networks like Me-TV that do but nothing like that is available to me. One of the perks of living in the country and small towns is lack of TV reception even with an antenna.

• Like 1
We may not get TCM back. Dish Network could drop CNN from lineup for good

Dish Network is prepared to permanently unplug a pillar of cable television — CNN, the pioneering 24-hour news network whose fortunes have faded.

The satellite giant's 14 million subscribers haven't been able to watch several Turner Broadcasting channels, including CNN, Cartoon Network and Turner Classic Movies, because of a contract dispute. Those channels might not come back any time soon.

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen warned Tuesday that pay-TV providers must be more selective of the channels they carry amid rising programming costs. He painted a stark portrait of a survival-of-the-fittest mentality that is reshaping the television industry, particularly as competition from Internet outlets intensifies.

"Twenty years ago, CNN was a must-have channel, but it's not a top 10 network anymore ... unless they find the plane, the Malaysian plane," Ergen said on a conference call, making a jab at CNN's seemingly round-the-clock coverage last spring of missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

Ergen said it would have been a "disaster" just a decade ago to remove CNN just before a big election. However, he said there have been few subscriber losses after the channel's removal because viewers now have plenty of sources for news.

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc., declined to comment.

Contract battles have escalated in the last few years, especially as Dish and others struggle to hold the line on programming costs. They are fighting to retain customers who are tired of ever-rising cable bills.

Dish lost 12,000 pay-TV customers during the third quarter. The company has been particularly aggressive in its negotiations with programmers such as Turner because the satellite operator is facing increased competition from cable and telephone companies. Rivals such as Verizon and AT&T have had success enticing away customers with bundled packages that emphasize high-speed Internet.

So, Dish has tried to manage its costs to undercut competitors.

"The world is changing, and some people are going to change with it," Ergen told analysts after the company reported weaker-than-expected third-quarter results. "And some people are going to be fast followers, and some people are just going to figure it out after somebody tells them what they should be doing."

After years of stability in the television business and fat profits for the media companies that own cable channels, changes to the economic model have accelerated this year.

Weaker cable channels could become endangered species as the industry adapts to shifts in audience behavior, brought on by popular entertainment alternatives such as Netflix, Amazon.com and YouTube.

"It used to be that the TV was the only place where you could watch content, but that's changing because of technology, and changing very quickly," said Dave Otten, chief executive of JW Player, a New York start-up that enables video streaming. "This will put a lot of older cable channels at risk over time."

For instance, St. Louis pay-TV provider Suddenlink Communications dropped Viacom channels last month. The company blamed the move on Viacom demanding too high a price for its MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and TV Land channels, which Suddenlink said were no longer must-haves.

DirecTV and AMC Networks have been waging a behind-the-scenes battle that exploded into view last weekend. AMC warned viewers of "The Walking Dead" that they might miss out on the series' zombie action next year if the two companies couldn't agree on a deal. DirecTV's contract with AMC Networks expires at year's end.

And this year, much of Los Angeles went without watching the Dodgers' regular season baseball. Cable and satellite providers, including Dish, DirecTV and Charter Communications, refused to pay the price the Dodgers and distribution partner Time Warner Cable were demanding.

Carrying the channel would cost distributors about $4.50 per month per subscriber household in Los Angeles, according to consulting firm SNL Kagan.

In contrast, a New York Yankees cable channel, now majority owned by 21st Century Fox, is sold to distributors for about $3.60 a month per subscriber household. And, unlike the Dodgers' SportsNet LA, the Yankees' channel also carries games of a second professional team, the Brooklyn Nets.

"There is no way the Dodgers are worth more than the Yankees," Ergen said, noting SportsNet LA was overpriced even in the field of high-priced sports channels.

Ergen said it wasn't Dish's problem "if somebody pays too much for the rights, and then comes in and says, 'We have to cover our rights fee,'" Ergen said. "We have to make hard choices with real economics and math."

The Dish chairman has long been something of a maverick, unafraid to break from the industry pack in an effort to try to gain a competitive advantage.

Dish, for example, is preparing a low-cost package of channels streamed over the Internet. The offering would be a "skinny package," with just a few dozen channels, including ESPN, to try to attract young adults who currently do not subscribe to pay-TV. The service, which is expected to launch by year's end, would cost subscribers about $30 a month.

Veteran cable analyst Craig Moffett said the future of television might not look like some had predicted.

"People once envisioned an a la carte model where individual channels were sold one by one, but that's not what's happening," said Moffett, co-founder of research firm MoffettNathanson.

Instead, he said, distributors such as Dish and Suddenlink are making all-or-nothing choices, which could jeopardize the economics of entire media companies. Such decisions, Moffett said, probably will favor programmers with sports such as Walt Disney Co., which has ESPN.

"Nobody can force Disney to unbundle ESPN from the Disney Channel," Moffett said. "But people are starting to treat entire media conglomerates as pick-and-choose options. Soon whole companies are going to be off the programming menu."

Dish shares closed at $63.26 on Tuesday, down 55 cents.

The Englewood, Co., company's third-quarter profit fell to $146 million, or 31 cents a share, compared with $315 million, or 68 cents a share, in the previous-year period. Analysts had predicted earnings of 39 cents a share. Revenue climbed 5% to $3.68 billion. Dish said it added 28,000 Internet subscribers, but that was short of expectations.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dish-drops-cnn-charlie-ergen-20141105-story.html

We may not get TCM back. Dish Network could drop CNN from lineup for good

Dish Network is prepared to permanently unplug a pillar of cable television — CNN, the pioneering 24-hour news network whose fortunes have faded.

The satellite giant's 14 million subscribers haven't been able to watch several Turner Broadcasting channels, including CNN, Cartoon Network and Turner Classic Movies, because of a contract dispute. Those channels might not come back any time soon.

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen warned Tuesday that pay-TV providers must be more selective of the channels they carry amid rising programming costs. He painted a stark portrait of a survival-of-the-fittest mentality that is reshaping the television industry, particularly as competition from Internet outlets intensifies.

"Twenty years ago, CNN was a must-have channel, but it's not a top 10 network anymore ... unless they find the plane, the Malaysian plane," Ergen said on a conference call, making a jab at CNN's seemingly round-the-clock coverage last spring of missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

Ergen said it would have been a "disaster" just a decade ago to remove CNN just before a big election. However, he said there have been few subscriber losses after the channel's removal because viewers now have plenty of sources for news.

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc., declined to comment.

Contract battles have escalated in the last few years, especially as Dish and others struggle to hold the line on programming costs. They are fighting to retain customers who are tired of ever-rising cable bills.

Dish lost 12,000 pay-TV customers during the third quarter. The company has been particularly aggressive in its negotiations with programmers such as Turner because the satellite operator is facing increased competition from cable and telephone companies. Rivals such as Verizon and AT&T have had success enticing away customers with bundled packages that emphasize high-speed Internet.

So, Dish has tried to manage its costs to undercut competitors.

"The world is changing, and some people are going to change with it," Ergen told analysts after the company reported weaker-than-expected third-quarter results. "And some people are going to be fast followers, and some people are just going to figure it out after somebody tells them what they should be doing."

After years of stability in the television business and fat profits for the media companies that own cable channels, changes to the economic model have accelerated this year.

Weaker cable channels could become endangered species as the industry adapts to shifts in audience behavior, brought on by popular entertainment alternatives such as Netflix, Amazon.com and YouTube.

"It used to be that the TV was the only place where you could watch content, but that's changing because of technology, and changing very quickly," said Dave Otten, chief executive of JW Player, a New York start-up that enables video streaming. "This will put a lot of older cable channels at risk over time."

For instance, St. Louis pay-TV provider Suddenlink Communications dropped Viacom channels last month. The company blamed the move on Viacom demanding too high a price for its MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and TV Land channels, which Suddenlink said were no longer must-haves.

DirecTV and AMC Networks have been waging a behind-the-scenes battle that exploded into view last weekend. AMC warned viewers of "The Walking Dead" that they might miss out on the series' zombie action next year if the two companies couldn't agree on a deal. DirecTV's contract with AMC Networks expires at year's end.

And this year, much of Los Angeles went without watching the Dodgers' regular season baseball. Cable and satellite providers, including Dish, DirecTV and Charter Communications, refused to pay the price the Dodgers and distribution partner Time Warner Cable were demanding.

Carrying the channel would cost distributors about $4.50 per month per subscriber household in Los Angeles, according to consulting firm SNL Kagan.

In contrast, a New York Yankees cable channel, now majority owned by 21st Century Fox, is sold to distributors for about $3.60 a month per subscriber household. And, unlike the Dodgers' SportsNet LA, the Yankees' channel also carries games of a second professional team, the Brooklyn Nets.

"There is no way the Dodgers are worth more than the Yankees," Ergen said, noting SportsNet LA was overpriced even in the field of high-priced sports channels.

Ergen said it wasn't Dish's problem "if somebody pays too much for the rights, and then comes in and says, 'We have to cover our rights fee,'" Ergen said. "We have to make hard choices with real economics and math."

The Dish chairman has long been something of a maverick, unafraid to break from the industry pack in an effort to try to gain a competitive advantage.

Dish, for example, is preparing a low-cost package of channels streamed over the Internet. The offering would be a "skinny package," with just a few dozen channels, including ESPN, to try to attract young adults who currently do not subscribe to pay-TV. The service, which is expected to launch by year's end, would cost subscribers about $30 a month.

Veteran cable analyst Craig Moffett said the future of television might not look like some had predicted.

"People once envisioned an a la carte model where individual channels were sold one by one, but that's not what's happening," said Moffett, co-founder of research firm MoffettNathanson.

Instead, he said, distributors such as Dish and Suddenlink are making all-or-nothing choices, which could jeopardize the economics of entire media companies. Such decisions, Moffett said, probably will favor programmers with sports such as Walt Disney Co., which has ESPN.

"Nobody can force Disney to unbundle ESPN from the Disney Channel," Moffett said. "But people are starting to treat entire media conglomerates as pick-and-choose options. Soon whole companies are going to be off the programming menu."

Dish shares closed at $63.26 on Tuesday, down 55 cents.

The Englewood, Co., company's third-quarter profit fell to $146 million, or 31 cents a share, compared with $315 million, or 68 cents a share, in the previous-year period. Analysts had predicted earnings of 39 cents a share. Revenue climbed 5% to $3.68 billion. Dish said it added 28,000 Internet subscribers, but that was short of expectations.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dish-drops-cnn-charlie-ergen-20141105-story.html

Wow. You know where this is going..............higher prices for the viewers.

I can hear Cablevision and FIOS rubbing their hands together, singing Magoo's Christmas Carol song:

• Like 1

If Dish does not soon restore TCM and CNN I want out of the coming second year of my contract they violate. I have called and emailed Dish several times saying this DISh claims it is working on a resolution. I would gladly dump Dish and pay a premium to get TCM.

Turner Networks wanted a double digit increase in the cost for CNN and Charlie turned them down. When beef went from $3.49 a pound to $5.99 a pound, I stopped buying beef.

But what really made Charlie mad was Time Warner selling TWC to Comcast creating a monopoly  and saying that they were going to stream  an abbreviated version HBO and only charge $15.00 a month which would undercut what Dish has to charge.

They are still talking and negotiating but the ball is in Time Warner and Turner's court now. CNN is not worth the price they are asking and streaming HBO is nothing but a blatant attack.

Turner Networks wanted a double digit increase in the cost for CNN and Charlie turned them down. When beef went from $3.49 a pound to $5.99 a pound, I stopped buying beef.

But what really made Charlie mad was Time Warner selling TWC to Comcast creating a monopoly  and saying that they were going to stream  an abbreviated version HBO and only charge $15.00 a month which would undercut what Dish has to charge.

They are still talking and negotiating but the ball is in Time Warner and Turner's court now. CNN is not worth the price they are asking and streaming HBO is nothing but a blatant attack.

Quite right that CNN is now garbage. Its emphasis is on entertainment, like most of the other 'news' channels. Cronkite is probably spinning in his grave.

Interesting article. I'm very, very happy that the cable owners are finally noticing their s-c-h-m-u-c-k (who knew that the auto censor knows Yiddish?) customers, who until now happily overpaid for the privilege of their hallowed subscriptions. I can buy an AWFUL lot of Column A and Column B channels for $200.

Yes too on the monopoly lie. Deregulation was supposed to cure that, but all that pontificating was more lies, since the cable owners are in bed with the politicians. We the public (okay me) never believed my much reduced cable bill was going to skyrocket.

Oh well. I love when every dog has his day.

If Dish does not soon restore TCM and CNN I want out of the coming second year of my contract they violate. I have called and emailed Dish several times saying this DISh claims it is working on a resolution. I would gladly dump Dish and pay a premium to get TCM.

Hi aj,

Welcome to the boards. It sounds like a mess. Glad I don't have Dish or DirecTV. I thought Charter was bad enough, but it seems like a walk in the park compared to what the rest of you are experiencing!

Hi aj,

Welcome to the boards. It sounds like a mess. Glad I don't have Dish or DirecTV. I thought Charter was bad enough, but it seems like a walk in the park compared to what the rest of you are experiencing!

That's the ONE good thing about FIOS. They're liars and crooks too, but I am not required to have a contract. Of course, I pay more for the privilege, but big whoop. The downside - there is nothing else to jump to around here, which makes moot the bonus of no contract.

They gotcha coming - and they gotcha going. :)

As I posted before, My cable service doesn't charge extra for TCM, so I can't imagine what the rest of you are going on about.  I DO wish they'd start requiring an extra fee for HGTV, which would give me a good reason to drop it, and keep my wife from watching all them blasted "home improvement" shows and such.  Like "Property Brothers", "Flip or Flop", "Rehab addict" and all.  I get tired of seeing people pay upwards of $452,000+ for a house that around THESE parts would only go for $70-80,000!

Bu my service--WOW( Wide Open West) has been known to just drop channels unannounced, as they did lastyear with the Game Show Network, and the year before with the Soaps channel.  I'll keep you posted if something happens with TCM on my service.

Sepiatone

Dish chairman thinks customers are only missing CNN (they've given them Blaze instead) & Cartoons,

http://deadline.com/2014/11/dish-networks-charlie-ergen-loss-cnn-turner-channels-nonevent-1201273061/

maybe Dish needs to hear from TCM fans

here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/DISH?rf=108065159213981

& Turner CEO's answer to Dish: http://deadline.com/2014/11/turner-broadcasting-responds-charlie-ergen-dish-network-fight-1201274367/

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tv110214.htm

"When the impasse began on Monday, October 20, some respected industry analysts predicted it may end in days, not weeks or months. But based on comments on social media sites, Dish is not taking much heat from subscribers, which could embolden the satcaster to hold out for better terms.

At Twitter and on Facebook pages, some Dish customers are asking
for the return of CNN, one of eight Turner channels that were removed from the satcaster's lineup on October 20. But the protests are small and relatively respectful compared to  comments made by subscribers in past programming battles, such as last year's CBS-Time Warner Cable dispute. 

In addition, the mainstream and trade media, both of which extensively covered the initial blackout, has written or broadcast very little about the impasse in the last two weeks. That's good for Dish because more media coverage would whip up more anger and possible subscriber defections, which would force it to give in sooner."

It sounds like they lost their bargaining power when they didn't include TNT and TBS in the negotiations. When those come back up I imagine they will add TCM and these other dropped stations in the mix, whenever that is.

I just hope to see cable a la cart in my lifetime, having 200 plus channels is nuts when you only have one set of eyeballs, lol.