Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

It sounds like they lost their bargaining power when they didn't include TNT and TBS in the negotiations. When those come back up I imagine they will add TCM and these other dropped stations in the mix, whenever that is.

I just hope to see cable a la cart in my lifetime, having 200 plus channels is nuts when you only have one set of eyeballs, lol.

Turner is part of Time/Warner as in the cable service. For Turner to go a la carte would undermine their own cable company. That's opposite of what they would want to do. If anything they would keep it as it is forcing you to buy their service to get the channels.

I know, it sucks lol

If Dish does not soon restore TCM and CNN I want out of the coming second year of my contract they violate. I have called and emailed Dish several times saying this DISh claims it is working on a resolution. I would gladly dump Dish and pay a premium to get TCM.

I told their customer service and left two posts on their message boards. And I also told them when they didn't receive any money from me Nov. 1.  If they can't get the message, they won't be getting my monthly payment. I have no such contract so I can just be gone .

I have dropped my Dish service down to its revolting info-mercial lowest bracket. Discovered Netflix and some sites with good selections of classic movies. Not ever coming back to Dish premiums and will drop the skeletal Dish I have left when the 2 years is over. If they bring back TCM, a different story but at this point would rather dump the phony bundling of 20 channels of how to lose 30 pounds on 30 days and 3 premium channels all showing Vampire Elephants.

Turner is part of Time/Warner as in the cable service. For Turner to go a la carte would undermine their own cable company. That's opposite of what they would want to do. If anything they would keep it as it is forcing you to buy their service to get the channels.

I know, it sucks lol

The cable part was spun off a couple years ago, I imagine they will be forced into it.

Time Warner Cable lost a net 184,000 household video customers in the three months ended Sept. 30, far more than the 136,000 that market research firm StreetAccount had estimated.

The company, which is being acquired by market leader Comcast Corp for $45.3 billion, lost a net 152,000 customers in the April-June quarter.

This industry reminds me of the old pager service companies that didn't adapt to changing technologies so started to lose tons of customers.

CNN to pull plug on broadcasting in Russia

Russia’s assault on foreign “propaganda” has made new waves, after CNN said it would stop broadcasting in the country and a Kremlin-backed news service outlined plans for global expansion.

CNN said its English-language news channel would not be available after the end of the year “in light of recent changes in Russian media legislation”. Russia has banned advertising on cable and satellite channels, while also preventing foreign companies from owning more than 20 per cent of media outlets from 2016.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a201f700-69b0-11e4-8f4f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3In5TrThc

Time Warner Cable lost a net 184,000 household video customers in the three months ended Sept. 30

(snipped)

The company, which is being acquired by market leader Comcast Corp for $45.3 billion, lost a net 152,000 customers in the April-June quarter.

Wonder if Comcast is going to reconsider investing in a sinking ship? Or do they think they can revitalize the cable TV industry?

(I doubt it since Comcast offers ZERO services. These big corporations just want "cash cow" type investments that run themselves)

Conflicts Between Pay-TV Providers, Networks Could Result in Permanent Blackouts

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/conflicts-between-msos-channel-providers-could-result-in-permanent-blackouts-1201353837/

Dish CEO Ergen said. “On the other hand, it makes that product less interesting for (pay-TV providers) because customers have a choice to get it somewhere else.”

Again, he's only considering CNN & cartoons and NOT a unique channel like TCM, that offers classic movies unedited and (other than their own) commercial-free.

Kind of insulting to fans of TCM

:(

Conflicts Between Pay-TV Providers, Networks Could Result in Permanent Blackouts

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/conflicts-between-msos-channel-providers-could-result-in-permanent-blackouts-1201353837/

Dish CEO Ergen said. “On the other hand, it makes that product less interesting for (pay-TV providers) because customers have a choice to get it somewhere else.”

Again, he's only considering CNN & cartoons and NOT a unique channel like TCM, that offers classic movies unedited and (other than their own) commercial-free.

Kind of insulting to fans of TCM

:(

I don't think TCM has the fan base we might think it does. The mouse that roared, that's us.

This sounds serious. I wonder what DISH and Direct TV think their customers will do, just sit quietly, pay up, and find their channels via another medium? Or..........do they KNOW their customers will do that?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I would do if FIOS did that. Long think................probably nothing.

Sad, ain't it? Says a lot about us as a people. Forty years ago, there might have actually been some protests on the streets about this.

Now, everyone looks up from their iWhats, mutters a huh or a wah, and goes back to their texting.

Sad.

• Like 1

If you're upset, send an e-mail, call customer assistance AND (this is most important) send a real letter to the CEO of the company.  They actually receive so few real letters from consumers that they take them very seriously.  They think if someone took time to type the letter, print it, get an envelope, get a stamp, put it in a mailbox rather than just tweeting, etc., how serious is this situation?

• Like 1

I just hope to see cable a la cart in my lifetime, having 200 plus channels is nuts when you only have one set of eyeballs, lol.

WRITE your Senators and Congressperson.  Today!  Otherwise it ain't going to happen.  If they happen to be Republcian, badger them monthly.

A La Cart I think is going to happen sooner rather than later because these distribution companies are losing a lot of subscribers. When things are rosy nothing changes, but once the tide turns the anchor is heaved (or something like that, lol).

There was an a la cart bill in the Senate last year but it died, it may come back next year with the votes to pass due to the elections. Plus there are some mumblings about a larger communications bill happening and it could be a part of that.

A La Cart I think is going to happen sooner rather than later because these distribution companies are losing a lot of subscribers.

In another thread, I stated:

Internet streaming and Netflix type "renting" is the closest thing to "a la carte" viewing which is what everyone says they want these days to separate the wheat from the chaff. Yes, many of the same "providers" but they have to increase the quality and keep the costs reasonable to bring those who "cut the cord" over.

Eh, if all those cable/satellite channels were better quality, no one would balk at PAYING for TV. I think 90% of subscribers only watch a few choice channels of their liking.

Once those channels are dropped or change content (like the Discovery channels) and people's income drops, they rethink the "value" factor of what they're receiving for that amount of money.

Update: Dish CEO’s “Antagonistic” Comments Damage Negotiations with Turner

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2014/11/05/dish-ceos-antagonistic-comments-damage-negotiations-with-turner/

"One potential sticking point may be HBO’s standalone streaming service, set to launch in 2015, which was announced by Time Warner on October 15 – just days before the blackout began. Although details of the service have not yet been revealed, HBO CEO Richard Plepler said today that the network is looking to pull in as many as 5 million subscribers with the subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) version of HBO, which may (or may not) resemble the HBO GO streaming platform currently offered to customers with authenticated pay TV subscriptions.

Targeting an available customer base of 10 million broadband-only customers in the US who don’t subscribe to cable TV, Turner’s corporate cousin HBO may find itself in direct competition with DISH’s planned internet-only offering."

Has anyone had any luck streaming movies?

My brother tried showing us a streamed movie and it gasped & pixelated throughout. The picture was also very dark and not enjoyable to watch. He has Comcast for his ISP and streamed directly into his large flat screen TV, so it wasn't his equipment or his hook up.

I actually prefer DVDs after seeing that.

And I'm not interested in watching movies at my computer desk, I want to be at my big TV in my comfy chair. I can stream movies, just find it substandard.

My brother tried showing us a streamed movie and it gasped & pixelated throughout. The picture was also very dark and not enjoyable to watch. He has Comcast for his ISP and streamed directly into his large flat screen TV, so it wasn't his equipment or his hook up.

I actually prefer DVDs after seeing that.

And I'm not interested in watching movies at my computer desk, I want to be at my big TV in my comfy chair. I can stream movies, just find it substandard.

I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, to watch stuff from YouTube or various websites.  For example, if a program I missed on PBS is still on their website/app, I can watch it on my large TV by making that attachment. I find quality fine in most cases.  One time I remember I used my iPhone to hook up instead of my laptop, because for that particular program, the image filled the screen much better when I did the hook-up from my iPhone. Don't really understand the mechanics of all this, but it's very useful way to watch stuff that's not available on TV but that you want to watch on your big TV.

• Like 1

I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, to watch stuff from YouTube or various websites.  

I do that with YouTube also because I like reading the comments and they don't show up on my Samsung Smart TV. The BBC stuff on YouTube like dramas and documentaries  is in HD most of the time so the quality is pretty good.

I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, to watch stuff from YouTube or various websites.  For example, if a program I missed on PBS is still on their website/app, I can watch it on my large TV by making that attachment. I find quality fine in most cases.  One time I remember I used my iPhone to hook up instead of my laptop, because for that particular program, the image filled the screen much better when I did the hook-up from my iPhone. Don't really understand the mechanics of all this, but it's very useful way to watch stuff that's not available on TV but that you want to watch on your big TV.

Swithin, do you use Fire TV or ROKU or yet another variety or do you simply connect your laptop via your router to your television via an HDMI cable? I find this all very interesting because it is another nail in the coffin of cable television, but some, e.g., Fire TV, doesn't have the apps that I want, namely, Acorn TV which has tons of vintage UK television shows.

One of these days, I will laugh at the funeral of the liars and crooks of cable television, which has gouged me since 1982.

• Like 1

Swithin, do you use Fire TV or ROKU or yet another variety or do you simply connect your laptop via your router to your television via an HDMI cable? I find this all very interesting because it is another nail in the coffin of cable television, but some, e.g., Fire TV, doesn't have the apps that I want, namely, Acorn TV which has tons of vintage UK television shows.

One of these days, I will laugh at the funeral of the liars and crooks of cable television, which has gouged me since 1982.

I don't use any of those things. I just connect my laptop --or iPad -- or iPhone -- to my TV with an HDMI cable. I have WiFi in my small apartment, so whatever I'm connecting is on WiFi, but the router is in my closet. I do adjust my input with the TV remote.

I don't use any of those things. I just connect my laptop --or iPad -- or iPhone -- to my TV with an HDMI cable. I have WiFi in my small apartment, so whatever I'm connecting is on WiFi, but the router is in my closet. I do adjust my input with the TV remote.

Thanks, didn't know that was possible.

We have tried streaming movies onto television. Every experience was bad despite very good connection and doing it at hours of low-demand.

I believe the future of cable television may be that cable companies will become a hybrid of ISP and signal carrier in that you will use Internet to subscribe to content providers and select what you wish to watch and it will be delivered to television over cable system rather than as streaming. 

This would provide a'la carte in re: content providers such as Disney or Turner. I must wonder if content providers would then force subscribers to pay for entire packages of channels rather than individual channels. By this I mean that a person would have to pay for CNN, TBS and other Turner channels if they wish to receive TCM.

Now its CBS  :mellow:  After problems with the Lakers, Dodgers, AMC, Turner, now Dish has a dispute with CBS threatening to shut off their channels too. I have made my last payment, I'm done.

I reviewed my DSL and found that my package was over priced. Seems that competition made them lower my package and I was still at the old higher price. Good news was I could double my connection speed for an extra $2 a month, which I quickly did.

For streaming, you should look at what the suggested speeds are for the service. The speed I had was right at the borderline of playability. Now at twice that speed its at the recommended speed and no stutters or stops.