Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DISH just dropped TCM and other Turner channels!

Thanks, didn't know that was possible.

You can find all of the how too videos on connections for any device on YouTube but basically the HDMI on your lap top is output and the HDMi connections on your TV are inputs. My TV has 3 HDMI inputs available so my DVR uses HDMI 1/DVI, my lap top uses HDMI 2 and my DVD player  uses HDMI3. HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface.

TCM is our favorite channel.  We pay $85 a month to Dish for 200 channels, only about 10 of which we ever watch.  Turner blames Dish for dropping it, & Dish blames Turner for dropping Dish.  Neither seems to care about its customers enough to make a deal to return Turner channels.

I switched from DirecTV to Dish, because Dish offered TCMHD & DirecTV did not.  Our big, "smart" 16x9 HD TV will not display recorded widescreen movies correctly--unless they are formatted for 16x9.  This means that many of the movies we bought on older DVDs will only display in correct aspect ratio within a small 4x3 rectangle in the center of our TV screen.  Widescreen movies shown on standard definition channels will only display correctly that way, too.  Only widescreen movies shown on HD channels will display correctly.  Of course, many prime HD channels still crop Cinemascope & Panavision films to fill 16x9 TV screens.  As far as I know, I'm the only one who complains.

Recently, I tried bundling our Internet Service, phone & TV with Charter Cable.  However, when Charter connected to my DVD recorder, HD channels were distorted.  I suspect this is to make people pay to lease their DVRs.  I've heard that DirecTV now distorts reception of HD channels through a DVD recorder.  Since I much prefer to record onto the hard drive of my own machine & thence to recordable DVDs, I have no choice of another TV service.

I just renewed my subscription to TCM Now Playing.  I guess I might as well cancel that.  I might as well cut Dish programming to the cheapest level..

• Like 1

You can find all of the how too videos on connections for any device on YouTube but basically the HDMI on your lap top is output and the HDMi connections on your TV are inputs. My TV has 3 HDMI inputs available so my DVR uses HDMI 1/DVI, my lap top uses HDMI 2 and my DVD player  uses HDMI3. HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface.

ahharding, and I hope I'm not as dense at this as I was at attaching multiple horizontal pictures in my signature - I have a plethora of cables back there, all colors and hues (well, not really), but they are all being used right now.

There wouldn't happen to be a standard color for HDMI 2, now would there? And if one of those is HDMI 2, what happens to its current connection? There are three connected to the DVD player, and a gaggle of others connected to the cable box.

Thanks. I won't belabor this issue, I promise you.

I guess I might as well cancel that.  I might as well cut Dish programming to the cheapest level..

We also paid for the higher package to get TCM. I was going to cancel our Dish account and just pay the penalty for canceling early but my grown kids talked me into keeping it for now but I did call and drop it to the lowest possible package since I don't turn on the TV now except to see the weather in the evening. I have decided if TCM isn't back on by the time my contract expires I will go ahead and cancel it. It seems a waste to pay for something we don't use.

Now its CBS  :mellow:  After problems with the Lakers, Dodgers, AMC, Turner, now Dish has a dispute with CBS threatening to shut off their channels too. I have made my last payment, I'm done.

I reviewed my DSL and found that my package was over priced. Seems that competition made them lower my package and I was still at the old higher price. Good news was I could double my connection speed for an extra $2 a month, which I quickly did.

For streaming, you should look at what the suggested speeds are for the service. The speed I had was right at the borderline of playability. Now at twice that speed its at the recommended speed and no stutters or stops.

Dish was actually helping its customers by NOT giving in to Turner.    The Lakers deal is what really started this.   The Lakers along with Time Warner ripped off the entire So Cal market but their timing was great and Dish,  Direct TV, Cox etc.. all caved.

But once the Dodgers and TW tried the same stunt again,   the satilite and cable companies said NO.    I'm a Dodger fan but I support Cox 100% here.    Content providers are charging way too much for their products and the only way to reduce their price is to refuse their offer. 

I've heard that DirecTV now distorts reception of HD channels through a DVD recorder.

FYI:  I have Dish, but my parents have DirecTV and I've recorded quite a few films on HD channels at their house using a DVD-R (none of us have use for a DVR, so that's what we all go with) without ever experiencing that issue.  And I've done this as recently as last week.

Welcome to Amerika Comrade, where you have to buy 200 to get 10 of what you want, lol.

I don't get it.

Wouldn't it be capitalism (ie/ most profitable for the business) that you're commenting upon, rather than communism. Seems like a reference to fascism would be more appropriate.

I don't get it.

Wouldn't it be capitalism (ie/ most profitable for the business) that you're commenting upon, rather than communism. Seems like a reference to fascism would be more appropriate.

Having to pay for 200 channels to get only 10 means no competition within channels Comrade. Channels are bundled like member states, and all are treated like one. It is like a Union of channels.

I don't get it.

Not to turn this thread into a history of economics lesson here gentlemen, but in both cases, Communist AND Fascist economic models, State controls of industry, labor and the general commerce are tightly regulated in order to supposedly achieve "the common good".

(...but still, I do NOT see how EITHER extreme economic model here has ANY freakin' bearing at all on this whole satellite/cable issue????????)

Not to turn this thread into a history of economics lesson here gentlemen, but in both cases, Communist AND Fascist economic models, State controls of industry, labor and the general commerce are tightly regulated in order to supposedly achieve "the common good".

(...but still, I do NOT see how EITHER extreme economic model here has ANY freakin' bearing on this whole cable issue????????)

I don't care what Ist/Ism form of gov't or economics gets Dish and Turner there, I'd love for them to resolve their dispute.  I haven't been able to watch TCM for almost a month.  Thank goodness I have a lot of movies.

FYI:  I have Dish, but my parents have DirecTV and I've recorded quite a few films on HD channels at their house using a DVD-R (none of us have use for a DVR, so that's what we all go with) without ever experiencing that issue.  And I've done this as recently as last week.

I'm glad to know this!  Thanks, Bastet.

(...but still, I do NOT see how EITHER extreme economic model here has ANY freakin' bearing at all on this whole satellite/cable issue????????)

Yep. That Amerika and Comrade crack, in relation to cable company channel bundling, struck me as pretty "out there" too.

After all, communist nations have historically had so few state-approved channels allowed to the citizenry that any notion of "bundling" has pretty much been moot. I guess some people are still seeing commies everywhere - just like in the golden age.

• Like 1

The "common good" here is all the stations, this is really quite simple. What we have is kind of a health care for cable channels.

Major cracks are appearing in this model, as subscribers are lost it will force the eventual changes to a more cost friendly system. Does anyone here believe that the current system is sustainable? If you don't then you agree with me. This is not a competitive system yet, and will slowly collapse until it becomes one.

The "common good" here is all the stations, this is really quite simple. What we have is kind of a health care for cable channels.

Major cracks are appearing in this model, as subscribers are lost it will force the eventually changes to a more cost friendly system. Does anyone here believe that the current system is sustainable? If you don't then you agree with me. This is not a competitive system yet, and will slowly collapse until it becomes one.

Well, the cable system in Westchester since 1982 has been a dictatorship.

I'd love to see the end of the stranglehold FIOS and Cablevision have on Westchester. That will be me, dancing in the streets.

Yep. That Amerika and Comrade crack, in relation to cable company channel bundling, struck me as pretty "out there" too.

After all, communist nations have historically had so few state-approved channels allowed to the citizenry that any notion of "bundling" has pretty much been moot. I guess some people are still seeing commies everywhere - just like in the golden age.

I must be out there to suggest that having to buy 200 cable channels to get only 10 is a bad thing. This system is so wonderful as it is, lol.

Major cracks are appearing in this model, as subscribers are lost it will force the eventually changes to a more cost friendly system. Does anyone here believe that the current system is sustainable? If you don't then you agree with me. This is not a competitive system yet, and will slowly collapse until it becomes one.

I'm not so sure about a 'more cost friendly system'.    While consumers will clearly have more choice with new models like Streaming,  I assume the cost will be equal to or greater than what we have today (unless one is only interested in very limited (specific \ narrow)content).

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about a 'more cost friendly system'.    While consumers will clearly have more choice with new models like Streaming,  I assume the cost will be equal to or greater than what we have today (unless one is only interested in very limited (specific \ narrow)content).

I meant overall cost for consumers, the cable industry is going to have to take it lumps one way or the other. The slow way is how it is going now, loss of subscribers daily until the cost balances with the demand. You can only squeeze consumers for so much, and they broke that amount already.

I must be out there to suggest that having to buy 200 cable channels to get only 10 is a bad thing. This system is so wonderful as it is, lol.

What's the dif? You'll pay just as much for just the 10 - if not more, and won't have any opportunity to see the other 190 IF anything should ever be on one of them that you heard might be worth checking out.

Al la carte isn't gonna save anybody anything. Individual pay stations will just get more expensive if bundling goes.

• Like 2

I meant overall cost for consumers, the cable industry is going to have to take it lumps one way or the other. The slow way is how it is going now, loss of subscribers daily until the cost balances with the demand. You can only squeeze consumers for so much, and they broke that amount already.

I understood what you meant all along.   I just don't see overall cost for consumers going down.    I saw your post about 200 channel and like Darkblue I have been saying the same thing at this forum for a while now;    The cost of 10 or so channels (depending on the channels) will be about the same as the cost of 200.      

Like I said in my prior post;  the only people that willl be paying a lot less are those that only wish to watch a few channels, like less than 5 and those channels would include NO sports,  recently released movies,  made for the channel programming or other costly content (e.g. the cheap channels would only have old TV shows, public domain movies,  or other content that a channel can lease for a very low cost).

• Like 1

What's the dif? You'll pay just as much for just the 10 - if not more, and won't have any opportunity to see the other 190 IF anything should ever be on one of them that you heard might be worth checking out.

Al la carte isn't gonna save anybody anything. Individual pay stations will just get more expensive if bundling goes.

So you are saying if someone wants all 200 channels they will be forced to pay $2000 a month? This is a scare tactic used by the cable industry to keep the same duopoly system.

If we ever get to a competitive market then some channels will probably offer free viewing so you can see if anything is worth paying for. Canada is trying to move to this system, they saw the light at the end of the tunnel already.

Most channels that run infomercials will be dropped, they need 24 hour quality programming like TCM has. We would have much better channels and better programming with competition.

So you are saying if someone wants all 200 channels they will be forced to pay $2000 a month? This is a scare tactic used by the cable industry to keep the same duopoly system.

I didn't say that at all. People who want everything will continue to subscribe to a bundled package and get the bundled price.

It's people who insist on getting only the ones they want who will pay a whole lot more for those at an "each" price point. The savings (if there are any) will be very small.