Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone watch the films and the documentary??? I watched the first film (rather sweet and well photographed by Franz Planer, billed as FRANK). I recorded the next two films (want to see Barbara Payton!!!) I thought the documentary was well done. I didnt know much about the director, aside from his directing Detour and a few other films. Sad, he got shafted by Hollywood (but at least still managed to eke out a career).......

Thank you, TCM! First time I've watched in weeks.

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the films and the documentary??? I watched the first film (rather sweet and well photographed by Franz Planer, billed as FRANK). I recorded the next two films (want to see Barbara Payton!!!) I thought the documentary was well done. I didnt know much about the director, aside from his directing Detour and a few other films. Sad, he got shafted by Hollywood (but at least still managed to eke out a career).......

Thank you, TCM! First time I've watched in weeks.

I watched Murder is my Beat the film that Barbara Payton was in  (since I'm on the west coast and it ended before midnight).

Glad I saw it.   This low budget noir had things to like but I don't wish to be a spoiler so I'll stop right here.

Maybe we can discuss it after you have seen it.

I watched Murder is my Beat the film that Barbara Payton was in  (since I'm on the west coast and it ended before midnight).

Glad I saw it.   This low budget noir had things to like but I don't wish to be a spoiler so I'll stop right here.

Maybe we can discuss it after you have seen it.

Thank you. I havent watched it yet...........

I watched part of the documentary and was pleased to see James Lydon in it. I loved his Henry Aldrich movies as a kid and love seeing him pop up in different films. His voice hadn't changed much since the early days. I have it on my DVD so I'm going to watch the whole thing soon.

Oh darn it. I didn't DVR the thing so now I have a couple of questions. Who was the guy talking to John Landis in the car and who was the guy who was apparently from Europe who was also in the backseat of another car?

ETA: it was Joe Dante & Wim Wenders. Never mind.

I watched part of the documentary and was pleased to see James Lydon in it. I loved his Henry Aldrich movies as a kid and love seeing him pop up in different films. His voice hadn't changed much since the early days. I have it on my DVD so I'm going to watch the whole thing soon.

Oh darn it. I didn't DVR the thing so now I have a couple of questions. Who was the guy talking to John Landis in the car and who was the guy who was apparently from Europe who was also in the backseat of another car?

ETA: it was Joe Dante & Wim Wenders. Never mind.

Yes, they listed Wenders name, but for some reason not Dante. I wasnt sure who he was. (unless I missed it). I was also amazed that William Schallert was still alive. He didnt look much different than he did on the Patty Duke show 50 YEARS AGO.......

I watched the documentary (thanks to darkblue who noted it would be aired again last night) and the movies.  My kinda programming!  Murder is My Beat was especially a treat, as I'd never seen it.  And how lovely to see Ann Savage in the documentary.  I hope TCM will show My Winnipeg one day, her last role I believe.

Was Peter Marshall in any of his movies?  I missed that, if it was mentioned.  He's gotten more handsome with age.  Anyone know who the man was talking to Marshall in the car?  

Thank you, TCM, for this special night of programming.

• Like 1

Peter Marshall was in The Cavern (1964), Ulmer's last movie. the other person in the car was John Saxon, who was also in The Cavern.

i think the way the documentary was filmed and cut was a bit of trickery with rear projection and shots of the two actors (separate cuts with each actor's comments but neither one on screen together). sort of Editing 101.

the documentary and the straightforward commentary accompanying the clips was compelling stuff. kudos to all involved.

The Cavern looks like a candidate for a showing on The Underground  some early Sunday overnight.

• Like 1

I was also amazed that William Schallert was still alive. He didnt look much different than he did on the Patty Duke show 50 YEARS AGO.......

The documentary was from 2004 or 2005 (Ann Savage has since died, of course). So that's Schallert only 40 years after the Patty Duke Show. But Schallert is in fact still alive at 92. I thought he'd died in the last couple of years myself.

oh crap.

i just discovered that my local library has that dvd in it's collection.

i didn't do cardio last night just so i could watch that flick.

i can be a real dope sometimes.            :(

Peter Marshall was in The Cavern (1964), Ulmer's last movie. the other person in the car was John Saxon, who was also in The Cavern.

i think the way the documentary was filmed and cut was a bit of trickery with rear projection and shots of the two actors (separate cuts with each actor's comments but neither one on screen together). sort of Editing 101.

the documentary and the straightforward commentary accompanying the clips was compelling stuff. kudos to all involved.

The Cavern looks like a candidate for a showing on The Underground  some early Sunday overnight.

Thanks very much for that, allthumbs.  I wondered why I had some trouble grasping it all!  It was fascinating to learn about him.

The documentary was from 2004 or 2005 (Ann Savage has since died, of course). So that's Schallert only 40 years after the Patty Duke Show. But Schallert is in fact still alive at 92. I thought he'd died in the last couple of years myself.

You can see Bud Schallert on MeTV commenting on out takes from the various TV shows he was on...he was a guest actor on many different shows over the year.

Oh, didnt know the docu. was that old. Didnt realize Ann Savage had died. Last time I saw RO talking about her she was still alive (guess that's been awhile.) Schallert looked like he'd hardly aged at all. Just a little heavier.

some ulmer nite. no the man from planet x. :(

I think TCM has shown that flick though. I've seen it and I cant imagine where else I could've seen it. So it'll probably pop again.

I haven't watched the doc yet.  Did they have scenes from CLUB HAVANA?  I ran this at CineFest a couple of years ago.  Terrific compact GRAND HOTEL-style musical noir melodrama.

Yes, they showed a brief clip from Club Havana in the docu. It looked interesting........

Thanks very much for that, allthumbs.  I wondered why I had some trouble grasping it all!  It was fascinating to learn about him.

Yes, they were both in that last film (The Cavern) they were talking about. They've both aged very nicely!

You can see Bud Schallert on MeTV commenting on out takes from the various TV shows he was on...he was a guest actor on many different shows over the year.

Many films too, in small parts.........

would love seeing "Cavern" ('65) on UNDERGROUND

NYTimes review: http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9D02E6D8143EE03ABC4D51DFB467838E679EDE

the-cavern-movie-poster-1965-1020254547.

I haven't seen The Cavern in ages. Some cable channel played it a number of times, can't remember which. Maybe Starz or something. But I always watched it when it came on. I think I even taped it at one time. Good fun.

There was a song that went with that Cavern movie too. I remember my pal at work and I used to sing The Cavern and laugh about it.

I'm thinking of lyrics for the title song, but I cant print them here..............