Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carnegie Hall

Sepiatone

Late last night, after returning from a memorial service for an ex family member, I surfed a bit and ran across what I at first thought was a "between movies" feature.  I knew that it was Artur Rubinstein playing the piano, or at least surmised so, although I at first thought, "That actor actually looks like Artur Rubinstein!" 

I've never heard of this movie.   Nor did I recognize anybody else in it except Frank McHugh, the REAL Rubinstein, and the REAL VAUGHN MONROE, JASCHA HEIFETZ and MAX REINER!  But it was getting late, and my wife's neuropathy was flaring up at a rate that made it impossible to watch it to the finish and see who ELSE would show up!

Does anyone know if and when TCM will reprise this movie?

Sepiatone

Late last night, after returning from a memorial service for an ex family member, I surfed a bit and ran across what I at first thought was a "between movies" feature.  I knew that it was Artur Rubinstein playing the piano, or at least surmised so, although I at first thought, "That actor actually looks like Artur Rubinstein!" 

I've never heard of this movie.   Nor did I recognize anybody else in it except Frank McHugh, the REAL Rubinstein, and the REAL VAUGHN MONROE, JASCHA HEIFETZ and MAX REINER!  But it was getting late, and my wife's neuropathy was flaring up at a rate that made it impossible to watch it to the finish and see who ELSE would show up!

Sepiatone

It airs on TCM maybe two or three times per year. it was considered a poverty row art film by critics who reviewed it at the time of its original release-- and I think that's an apt description. It's not too terrible and contains some very good performances by musicians that did not show up on the big screen very much.

Sepiatone

Nope, sorry Sepia I don't.

However, I DO know how to GET to Carnegie Hall.

"Practice, my son, Practice."

(...sorry...just couldn't resist postin' this old joke) ;)

Nope, sorry Sepia I don't.

However, I DO know how to GET to Carnegie Hall.

"Practice, my son, Practice."

(...sorry...just couldn't resist postin' this old joke) ;)

Careful, Dargo-- lavender may put you on 'ignore' if you don't get more serious with your posting. LOL

Careful, Dargo-- lavender may put you on 'ignore' if you don't get more serious with your posting. LOL

Now now, TB. Maybe that whole thing was just a case of ME not being ready to take MY act to Carnegie Hall, EH?! ;)

(...yep, maybe this Borscht Belt act o' mine has hits the heights it's ever gonna HIT!!!) LOL

• Like 1

Now now, TB. Maybe that whole thing was just a case of ME not being ready to take MY act to Carnegie Hall, EH?! ;)

(...yep, maybe this Borscht Belt act o' mine has hits the heights it's ever gonna HIT!!!) LOL

Dargo knows he's one poster I wouldn't put on Ignore. We've been friends for too long to let a difference of opinion come between us ;)

• Like 1

Dargo knows he's one poster I wouldn't put on Ignore. We've been friends for too long to let a difference of opinion come between us ;)

So lavender, does this mean you WILL come see my act IF I ever make it to Carnegie Hall??? ;)

If you pay for the airfare and tickets, hotel, dinners, cabs and shopping at Bergdorfs LOL. Will you be using the same old material you're posting here, or new stuff ? :D

Hey! Always go with the ol' "tired and true", I always say!

(...and re the reimbursement for all travel and entertainment expenses incurred...sorry, but I have rather odd arrangement with my agent...ya see, THAT b*stard gets the 90% and I ONLY get the 10%...and so, bottom line here: nope, can't afford it!) ;)

If there's no reimbursement, not sure how you'll drum up an audience LOL (kidding) When the booking is definite, you let me know and I'll make the arrangements ;)

Hmmmm....good point. Considerin' the fact that I ain't got all that many friends in the world(for obvious reasons), AND that most of my family is now gone, it COULD be quite a problem fillin' up that big ol' hall there, huh!

Saaaay, I wonder if any of my newfound family up there in Canada might be interested in travelin' to The Big Apple and helpin' me out here???

(...on their own dime of course...though THIS now begs another question: Do they even HAVE "dimes" up there in Canada?)

Dargo, I can almost envision you standing on the stage of Carnegie, but only if you're in your Mark Twain/Will Rogers persona, spewing cracker barrel philosophy and showcasing that likewise sense of humor. I don't see you performing Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, even with practice.... (but I doubt that you had that in mind, eh?)

(...don't start your routine with that joke about practice, that distinguished audience will up and leave on you.)

;)

Dargo, I can almost envision you standing on the stage of Carnegie, but only if you're in your Mark Twain/Will Rogers persona, spewing cracker barrel philosophy and showcasing that likewise sense of humor. I don't see you performing Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, even with practice.... (but I doubt that you had that in mind, eh?)

(...don't start your routine with that joke about practice, that distinguished audience will up and leave on you.)

;)

Thanks for the kind words here, laffite!

And don't worry. IF this ever comes to pass, HIGHLY unlikely of course, I'll definitely skip the "Practice, my son" thing as the opening line.

I'm thinkin' maybe something a little more "esoteric", like say, "Take my wife...please!" or somethin' along THOSE lines here.

(...I mean, Henny isn't around anymore to complain, RIGHT?!) ;)

Thanks for the kind words here, laffite!

And don't worry. IF this ever comes to pass, HIGHLY unlikely of course, I'll definitely skip the "Practice, my son" thing as the opening line.

I'm thinkin' maybe something a little more "esoteric", like say, "Take my wife...please!" or somethin' along THOSE lines here.

(...I mean, Henny isn't around anymore to complain, RIGHT?!) ;)

I think you should use your own stuff, Dargo. Henny won't rise from the grave to haunt you but the critics will kill you.

;)

I made it to Carnegie just once (as a spectator of course, no practice required) back in '86 to hear a recital by the Dutch Soprano Elly Ameling who rendered a number of classical art songs. I was sitting six levels above so the visual was a little on the down side, but I heard her all right, these advanced singers with their impeccable technique honed after years and years of practice make that possible.

I hope you have a voice that carries. Remember ya gotta be heard way up there in the rafters.

:)

I hope you have a voice that carries. Remember ya gotta be heard way up there in the rafters.

WAIT a minute here! You "HOPE" I have a voice that "CARRIES"???

I guess all these uppercase letters I constantly (over)use around here don't signify ANYTHING to you, HUH???!!!

(...oh IT "carries" alright...IT "carries") LOL

;)

I think you should use your own stuff, Dargo. Henny won't rise from the grave to haunt you but the critics will kill you.

;)

I made it to Carnegie just once (as a spectator of course, no practice required) back in '86 to hear a recital by the Dutch Soprano Elly Ameling who rendered a number of classical art songs. I was sitting six levels above so the visual was a little on the down side, but I heard her all right, these advanced singers with their impeccable technique honed after years and years of practice make that possible.

Btw laffite, because I was in "full shtick mode" earlier, I forgot to add I thought your night at Carnegie Hall sounded wonderful.

And speakin' of The Big Apple...My wife and I are planning on being in NYC for a few days the first week of December in order to drink in some of the holiday spirit the town is so famous for.

And so, if anyone around here might happen to be in Midtown Manhattan during that time, look us up and we'll share some holiday "spirits". We'll be staying at the Edison Hotel.

Cheers!

If you pay for the airfare and tickets for CH, hotel, ( Plaza preferably) dinners, cabs and shopping at Bergdorfs LOL. Will you be using the same old material you're posting here, or new stuff ? :D

Lavender, the #57 bus on my block will get you to Carnegie Hall in ten minutes, traffic permitting. I'll gladly pay your fare.

• Like 1

WAIT a minute here! You "HOPE" I have a voice that "CARRIES"???

I guess all these uppercase letters I constantly (over)use around here don't signify ANYTHING to you, HUH???!!!

(...oh IT "carries" alright...IT "carries") LOL

;)

Well, there is a difference between simply typing capital letters on a forum and projecting your voice in the big hall

...but I believe you.

Well, I've never been to Carnegie Hall.  Either as spectator, or performer (BIG wink on THAT one!)

But a buddy of mine was there when The James Gang recorded their live album there, and he said the place was splendid looking!

Some local wags here and even some performers claim Detroit's ORCHESTRA HALL rivals Carnegie in acoustics.  SOME even go so far as to say Orchestra Hall BESTS Carnegie! 

Sepitatone

Lavender, the #57 bus on my block will get you to Carnegie Hall in ten minutes, traffic permitting. I'll gladly pay your fare.

Thanks Swithin :) I would rather bus it than cab it, although how much is bus fare now? Haven't been back in so many years (at least40) Everything probably looks  so different. Use to walk from Bendels and Bergdorfs to Carnegie Hall and the Russian Tea Room.

Lucky you :)

Thanks Swithin :) I would rather bus it than cab it, although how much is bus fare now? Haven't been back in so many years (at least40) Everything probably looks  so different. Use to walk from Bendels and Bergdorfs to Carnegie Hall and the Russian Tea Room.

Lucky you :)

Russian Tea Room is gone now, isnt it? Guess I missed my chance...........

Yes, that is what happens. You not only sidetrack others, you sidetrack yourself. Need to maybe work on that. :)

Oh, oh, oh !!!!

Let me chide you on that one, TopB. But there is a smiley there, so maybe you are joking. Yeah, that's it, you're joking. I think you are being quite good natured in fact. :)

"Top Schtick Mode" is not peculiar to just Dargo who BTW makes us laugh in the process but there are others that ... :P

Dargo, btw thank your for the comment about Carnegie Hall. Yes, I lived in NYC for 26 months covering parts of 1984-1986 and it puzzles me now that I attended only one event at that famous venue. Lost opportunities galore.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings