Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ain't a-gonna miss that one. a terrific film with vikings ragnar (Borgnine) and son inar (Douglas) having a high ol' time in the fjord. :) plenty of rousing viking fun...but it coulda been better if princess janet leigh coulda warmed up a little to Douglas and the ending sucks. woulda been better with princess janet on the burning funeral ship weeping with remorse for not making inar a happy viking. I always root for inar watching this and ragnar's sage advice to inar about babes. :lol:

Has anyone else noted the absence of James Donald's character - Egbert - from the end of the movie? He is present during the attack on the castle but is never seen again.

After Morgana confronts Einar on the parapit and tells him that Eric is his brother, Einar calls to Eric, then there is a jump cut of Einar leaning over the wall with an aghast Morgana next to him.

Apparently there was a scene excised wherein Egbert reached Einar first and confirmed Morgana's tale. Einar than picks Egbert over his head and tosses him over the wall. I've seen a still picture of Einar holding Egbert aloft and thought it was a publicity shot, but noticed the jump cut and the look on Morgana's face and figured it was filmed and then cut. That scene would also re-enforce why Einar hesitates before striking at Eric.

Can anyone post that photo?

Has anyone else noted the absence of James Donald's character - Egbert - from the end of the movie? He is present during the attack on the castle but is never seen again.

After Morgana confronts Einar on the parapit and tells him that Eric is his brother, Einar calls to Eric, then there is a jump cut of Einar leaning over the wall with an aghast Morgana next to him.

Apparently there was a scene excised wherein Egbert reached Einar first and confirmed Morgana's tale. Einar than picks Egbert over his head and tosses him over the wall. I've seen a still picture of Einar holding Egbert aloft and thought it was a publicity shot, but noticed the jump cut and the look on Morgana's face and figured it was filmed and then cut. That scene would also re-enforce why Einar hesitates before striking at Eric.

Can anyone post that photo?

well, einar never really did like egbert. when egbert noted the gemstone and realized who eric was, he shoulda just of clued in ragnar and company right off. he woulda been einar's drinkin' buddy for life. :D but no, egbert has to keep it to himself. just what was egbert's purpose in sittin' on what he knew? pretty dumb. an' it was egbert's idea to grab morgana. he probably wanted to be a player, use eric to oust aella and maybe wind up with morgana for himself. the idiot shoulda gotten on einar's good side early on by spillin' the beans about eric. only watched it up to when eric bomps a loaded einar in the boat. the movie goes downhill after that. :)

One of my all time favorite movies- great photography.

I find the movie very funny when it really isn't trying to be.    I'm surprised the director didn't have Janet lose a leg.   Why not,  the other stars lost an eye and hand!   (I did like the use of the raptures in that scene and I wonder how that was filmed).      The photography was indeed fine but the film just lacked the type of tension I want from an adventure film.   I found a lot of the dialog to be rather silly.

especially the photography by Cardiff. The shooting of final swordfight from that high angle that includes sharp longshot location shots very impressive.

Cinematography=8, Art direction, costumes (except Leigh's tight dress)=7, Acting=5, Story=3

just an opinion :D

especially the photography by Cardiff. The shooting of final swordfight from that high angle that includes sharp longshot location shots very impressive.

Cinematography=8, Art direction, costumes (except Leigh's tight dress)=7, Acting=5, Story=3

just an opinion :D

I agree with your 'numbering' here.     Funny you mention Leigh's costumes.   Janet was well known for the pointed bra look from that era (and she filled it well).     I did notice that they toned that down for this film.   Yea,  they didn't have those built-in wire bras back in those days!   :D

Agreed about Ms. Leigh's bodice filling outfit. I kept waiting for her to poke out Douglas' other eye in a clinch.

An interesting (to me anyhow) item about the castle-top sword battle is that it served as the model for the animated duel between rats Jenner and Justin in The Secret of Nimh (1982). It is copied almost frame for frame.

I agree with your 'numbering' here.     Funny you mention Leigh's costumes.   Janet was well known for the pointed bra look from that era (and she filled it well).     I did notice that they toned that down for this film.   Yea,  they didn't have those built-in wire bras back in those days!   :D

She was equally stunning as Aleta in "Prince Valiant" (1954), which was a notable omission -- along with "Houdini" (1953) -- from TCM's Star of the Month tribute to Leigh.

...it coulda been better if princess janet leigh coulda warmed up a little to Douglas and the ending sucks. woulda been better with princess janet on the burning funeral ship weeping with remorse for not making inar a happy viking. I always root for inar watching this and ragnar's sage advice to inar about babes. :lol:

Sometimes you demonstrate some odd notions about the female characters in films, and their response to men who desire them.

Why would it be better for Morgana to die too, on the burning ship with Kirk? He's already dead, she's not. Cultures that demand that the live women must die along with their dead men are cruel, misogynist, and regressive.

I've noticed you always "side" with men who are rejected by the women they want, as though the woman should have no choice in the matter.

And she did "want" someone, she wanted Eric. What's wrong with that? If it had been the other way around, you'd be feeling sorry for Eric.

I realize I'm taking your post too seriously, and, entertaining though The Vikings was, it doesn't  really deserve an in-depth discussion, since, all things considered, it is rather silly. Still, your post has prompted me to remind you that a woman can and does have the right to make a choice as to which man she likes and which she doesn't, in real life and in movies.

Sometimes you demonstrate some odd notions about the female characters in films, and their response to men who desire them.

Why would it be better for Morgana to die too, on the burning ship with Kirk? He's already dead, she's not. Cultures that demand that the live women must die along with their dead men are cruel, misogynist, and regressive.

I've noticed you always "side" with men who are rejected by the women they want, as though the woman should have no choice in the matter.

And she did "want" someone, she wanted Eric. What's wrong with that? If it had been the other way around, you'd be feeling sorry for Eric.

I realize I'm taking your post too seriously, and, entertaining though The Vikings was, it doesn't  really deserve an in-depth discussion, since, all things considered, it is rather silly. Still, your post has prompted me to remind you that a woman can and does have the right to make a choice as to which man she likes and which she doesn't, in real life and in movies.

Don't be fooled by the happy faces on those post.    Based on the track record here he really does mean what he say!

Yes,  The Vikings is a silly movie.   More camp than adventure film.

Don't be fooled by the happy faces on those post.    Based on the track record here he really does mean what he say!

Yes,  The Vikings is a silly movie.   More camp than adventure film.

I just think the film goes too far facilitating the Tony Curtis' character Eric. all we get at the end for kirk is "why did he hesitate?" Granted, einar was certainly no fred rogers when it came to getting along with anyone. I just think it woulda been an even more entertaining film if einar coulda somehow won over morgana. :)

amw5mv.jpg

I just think the film goes too far facilitating the Tony Curtis' character Eric. all we get at the end for kirk is "why did he hesitate?" Granted, einar was certainly no fred rogers when it came to getting along with anyone. I just think it woulda been an even more entertaining film if einar coulda somehow won over morgana. :)

Einar was just too unlikeable a character for me too root for him as a hero in an adventure film.   For me it would have been best if Eric's hawk had taken out both of Einar's eyes and Einar fell off a cliff right at the start of the film.   :D

I just think the film goes too far facilitating the Tony Curtis' character Eric. all we get at the end for kirk is "why did he hesitate?" Granted, einar was certainly no fred rogers when it came to getting along with anyone. I just think it woulda been an even more entertaining film if einar coulda somehow won over morgana. you know, like bortai (Susan Hayward) warmin' up to Temujin (Wayne) in The Conqueror. :)

amw5mv.jpg

The whole movie is a bit dopey...but despite this, entertaining. At least on first viewing, I don't know how I'd enjoy it if I saw it again.

Flaws all over the place...How come, if Tony Curtis' character was seized from a ship as a baby and brought to live in the Vikings' community as a slave, Kirk Douglas' character did not seem to know him at all until the encounter with the falcon?

And why does Curtis wear a mini-skirt all through it?  Kirk too, although his is marginally longer. I don't believe the Vikings wore such garb, although I suppose it might have assisted them in their ravishings.

What was the exact status of the seer, the "witch" Kitala, with the Vikings? They seemed to respect her. Later, when she assists Eric in his escape with Morgana, she does not seem to be included in their anger towards Eric, even though they seem to know that Kitala played a major part in it. Still later, you see her back in the Viking community again.

Also, the audience is cheated of a scene we'd all love to see, a reunion of sorts between Kirk and Curtis. All we get is Janet Leigh blurting out that they're brothers, but by this time it's too late to effect any sort of touching fraternal reconciliation. And does Eric ever find out? We have to assume so, but we don't get to see it.

I do like those ships with the dragon figure-heads, they're pretty cool.

The whole movie is a bit dopey...but despite this, entertaining. At least on first viewing, I don't know how I'd enjoy it if I saw it again.

Flaws all over the place...How come, if Tony Curtis' character was seized from a ship as a baby and brought to live in the Vikings' community as a slave, Kirk Douglas' character did not seem to know him at all until the encounter with the falcon?

And why does Curtis wear a mini-skirt all through it?  Kirk too, although his is marginally longer. I don't believe the Vikings wore such garb, although I suppose it might have assisted them in their ravishings.

What was the exact status of the seer, the "witch" Kitala, with the Vikings? They seemed to respect her. Later, when she assists Eric in his escape with Morgana, she does not seem to be included in their anger towards Eric, even though they seem to know that Kitala played a major part in it. Still later, you see her back in the Viking community again.

Also, the audience is cheated of a scene we'd all love to see, a reunion of sorts between Kirk and Curtis. All we get is Janet Leigh blurting out that they're brothers, but by this time it's too late to effect any sort of touching fraternal reconciliation. And does Eric ever find out? We have to assume so, but we don't get to see it.

I do like those ships with the dragon figure-heads, they're pretty cool.

I'm really not trying to sidetrack the thread, but I cannot not mention that my high school's teams were known as the Vikings.

Yup, there are lots of sports teams named "the Vikings". Probably due to the association with fierce, strong, brave, war-like people who believed in never surrendering.

Still, you wouldn't exactly want to invite them over for tea or anything.

Tea--no. Anything---maybe.