Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dumb & Dumber

Mac_the_Nice

Never seen it and have zero desire to see it. Strikes me as geared towards 13 year old boys.

What makes a kids movie "classic", like early Disney, Dead End Kids or those Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney "teen"movies-adults enjoyed them as much as kids.

Never seen it and have zero desire to see it. Strikes me as geared towards 13 year old boys.

What makes a kids movie "classic", like early Disney, Dead End Kids or those Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney "teen"movies-adults enjoyed them as much as kids.

Well, you'll just have to miss the fun, then, Poor Dear. But you see, I arrive at my opinion on basis of having seen all the best of Truffaut (who loved Jerry Lewis), Antonioni, Fellini, Bergman--and best of all, Pietro Germi. Have you ever seen Divorce Italian Style; Seduced and Abandoned? The latter might well be re-entitled, "Italian Divorce, Dumb & Dumber Style." And it is simply exquisite. How could it not be, with Stefania Sandrelli?

And may I ask: What's the matter with 13 year old boys? 

And may I ask: What's the matter with 13 year old boys? Sounds a bit female chauvinist to me. What? Am I kidding? Take a big fat guess. Here's a clue: Mac the Nice is a HUGE FAN of Camille Paglia. Be careful around me when you start throwing uncalled for insults at the male gender, Darling. You think Bill Maher is "politically incorrect"? Get to know me.

What? Not too sure you want to? Hah! Par for the course. See? I saw that one coming, didn't I?

Haven't been around many 13 year olds(boys OR girls) much lately, EH Mac???

(...'cause few of 'em are really all that "impressive" ya know...and I should know...I was one of 'em myself a loooooooong time ago, and my memory is still pretty good for that bein' about 50 years ago now!) ;)

Haven't been around many 13 year olds(boys OR girls) much lately, EH Mac???

(...'cause few of 'em are really all that "impressive" ya know...and I should know...I was one of 'em myself a loooooooong time ago, and my memory is still pretty good for that bein' about 50 years ago now!) ;)

I stand duly chastised. That was rather an ornery post. Just my overly defensive (male) gender narcissism talking. Because I am a perpetual 13 year old boy. Evidence as to that fact . . .

I have never in my life laughed so hard as when I saw that champagne cork headed to do its whack job on the "endangered White Snow Owl". Or, wait, no. That has to take a close second to the "Mein Fueher! I can walk!" in Strangelove.  And other than that there is only the cow pasture love scene between Peter Sellers and Mai Zetterling in "Only Two Can Play."

Sorry to have to say this (but truly, not sorry at all)  in my book, Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest motion pictures ever made. So, if I'm right, that makes it great--great! Disagree if you like, but I can't wait for the sequel soon to come out, Dumb & Dumber, To.

Evolutionary dead end.

dumb-dumber.jpg

But you see, I arrive at my opinion on basis of having seen all the best of Truffaut, Antonioni, Fellini, Bergman--and best of all, Pietro Germi.

You know, recently I've been catching up on all the European "new wave" films I had missed in the 60's & 70's, and they leave me cold. Apparently, this stuff created excitement back then as new & innovative filmmaking, but it really doesn't stand the test of time for me as a film fan.

How could it not be, with Stefania Sandrelli?

It takes more than a hot babe to make it a good film for an adult... especially a woman viewer. 

(sorry, I know you're being lighthearted, just don't state things as universal when they are indeed, your opinion)

Sorry to have to say this (but truly, not sorry at all)  in my book, Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest motion pictures ever made. So, if I'm right, that makes it great--great! Disagree if you like, but I can't wait for the sequel soon to come out, Dumb & Dumber, To.

Sorry to have to say this (but truly, not sorry at all)  in my book,

Congratulations, Mac. Well prefaced. You've crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's, and you may THINK you're out of the woods before voicing your o.p.i.n.i.o.n., but you're not.

Opinions are not tolerated on this board by one and all. Personally, I am magnanimous to give everyone the freedom of speech to express their OPINION, but.............................give it some time, Mac, you'll no doubt have a war on your hands.

Buck up, Mac, and stick to your guns and damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead, or something like that! :lol:

Sorry to have to say this (but truly, not sorry at all)  in my book,

Congratulations, Mac. Well prefaced. You've crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's, and you may THINK you're out of the woods before voicing your o.p.i.n.i.o.n., but you're not.

Opinions are not tolerated on this board by one and all. Personally, I am magnanimous to give everyone the freedom of speech to express their OPINION, but.............................give it some time, Mac, you'll no doubt have a war on your hands.

Buck up, Mac, and stick to your guns and damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead, or something like that! :lol:

You don't need to worry about Mac since he can take it.   I disagree with your opinion here.    Opinions are clearly tolerated on this board.    One just has to be able to handle people disagreeing with one's opinion.    Having what you define as a 'war on your hands' shows that different opinions are tolerated if not welcomed.    i.e. if there was NO war there would be NO differing opinions.   

Chew on that one and feel free to disagree.

And may I ask: What's the matter with 13 year old boys? 

UMMmmm......How you assuage your personal predilictions is NONE of OUR business!

Sorry, Mac.....You DID leave THAT door WIDE OPEN!

But now, back to business:   I thought D&D was an OK movie, but certainly not the romp of hilarity some people TRY to make it out to be.  There are lots of things I find funny that nobody much else does, and vice-versa.  YOU think it's all that funny, and that's OK by me.  Just know I'LL never be convinced, but it's nothing to sweat about.  

(honestly, the funniest parts of the flick are when Carrey keeps spraying his "breath spray" sideways into somebody's eye.  I actually knew someone who, long before this movie was even made,  always DID that!  And NOT on purpose!!)

Sepiatone

I love Dumb and Dumber, while I wouldn't go as far as to say it is the funniest film ever made (because really, that's quite the claim to make about any film) I think it's funny.  It's a fun, enjoyable movie with plenty of sight gags and funny quotes that are fun to insert into conversations.

My favorite:

"We've got no food. We got no jobs. Our pets' heads are falling off!"

I also love Harry's dog van and the whole montage of Harry trying to help Lloyd find a suit to wear is funny.  Also when the manicurist has to use a power saw to clip Lloyd's toenails is funny too.

The best scene, imo is when Harry is in Mary's bathroom trying to deal with the laxatives that Lloyd slipped into his coffee.  It gets even funnier when Mary tells Harry that the toilet is broken.  Lol.

I'm curious about the sequel.  Sometimes I'm leery of them making sequels that come out YEARS after the original-- it seems like a money grab or a very unoriginal idea.  However, if they do it well, it could be amusing.  I'm not sure if I want to pay the big theater dollars for it.  Maybe I'll wait for it to hit the second run theater. 

...Pretty bird.  Pretty bird...

Just because TikiSoo doesn't agree with his opinion doesn't mean she doesn't tolerate it.

Thanks for speaking on my behalf. Correct. And I hope Mac tolerates my opinion too.

The fact that someone posts that they just lurve this movie, may make me give it a look next time it's on.

We ALL have an odd film we like here and there that no one else likes. I absolutely love DEATH TO SMOOCHY, once heralded as "the worst movie ever made". I see it as a black comedy, it's easy for me to understand why others don't "get" it like I do. Plus, the language is deplorable,  a real turn-off.

And don't many of us enjoy ITS A MAD MAD WORLD? Who doesn't crack up at Ethel Merman's slapstick antics? Much comedy is low brow anyway.

I just have a hard time with "pain" comedy (like Jacka** crotch hits) or demeaning women comedy (like Army of Darkness) I also have a hard time finding stoopid charactors funny, which is why I've never liked Laurel & Hardy. I imagined D&D to be a modern version of L&H.

I appreciate that someone can blatantly misspell "Stupid" and "characters", and in the same figurative breath claim to HATE them!

And I never saw "D&D" as a modern version of Laurel and Hardy.  But I DO guess one CAN make the comparison.  I will be liberal enough to say it was at least, a tepid ATTEMPT at such emulation.

And also, I have a bagful of movies that I like that others find dreadful.  ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES being one.  It just cracks me up.

Sepiatone

Well Sepia, "stoopid" was intentional, "charactors" is a wholly correct alternative spelling.

Amazing to see c-r-o-t-c-h was asterisked out!

It'd weird-I love the Stooges, I don't really find any of the 3 charactors stupid. A little weird, quirky, but not dumb like L&H.

I WANT the piano to squash L&H-they deserve it.

I have zero appetite for scatelogical humor, which seems to permeate comedies for the past generation.  The only "dirty" comedy that I really love is BAD SANTA - because it takes no prisoners whatsoever.  It completely vanquishes your senses.  I have a beautiful print and love to screen it every couple of years as my "Christmas in July" feature.  Some day I'll track down a print of CHRISTMAS IN JULY and I can run THAT instead! :P

As for Stooges vs Laurel & Hardy vs Abbott & Costello vs Marx Bros etc - it's always fascinating to me to see who likes which comics and who really dislikes others.  A lifelong "Son of the Desert", we had a family friend - long deceased - who was a big lawyer for several studios and producers.  Whenever I would mention Stan and Ollie he would retort - "Laurel and Hardy?  Who the HELL wants to look at Laurel and Hardy?? Even when they're GOOD they're bad!"  He was a Fields man!

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, Tiki.

The Stooges USED to crack me up BEFORE i reached the age of 12.  After that, they just seemed silly and no longer amusing.  But I'll ALWAYS love Laurel and Hardy!  AND I loved them at the same time I liked the Stooges.  But I see more REAL comedy in L&H.  And it's largely based in the sad situational mishaps of good intentions gone wrong, or the application of Murphy's law than bumbling nitwits totally destroying a home their purporting to repair.

The reasonably THINKING man can only take so many PIE FIGHTS and eye pokes until it gets stale and weary.

There IS one bit the Stooges did that I still find amusing.

I don't know the name of the short, but it involved the guys looking for someone's apartment.  they come to a sort of cul-de-sac and don't know which of the places is the one they seek.  They stop a very attractive, and well "stacked" brunette woman and only get to say, "Pardon, miss, We were wondering if you could...."  and that's all Moe could get out before the woman slaps all three in a row with one sweep of her arm, and gets them all again on the BACKhand!  THEN she spits out a terse "Fresh!", walks off and enters one of the buildings which has a sign on the door informing people it's the home and office of..."Madam Zorba;  MIND READER."  Each of the guys looks at each other and start accusing one another.   "It was YOU!" says Moe, and starts hitting Larry, who says the same to Curly and starts abusing HIM, who also accuses MOE and fights back and on it goes.

Sepiatone

There is nothing intrinsically funny about a pie in the face.  There are great pie fights and there are insignificant pie fights.  It's the set up.  The timing.  The cutting.  The reaction. 

The pie fight in THE GREAT RACE was, in my opinion, completely sabotaged by Henry Mancini's "Pie in the face Polka".  A pie fight has to have its own rhythm.  When you supplant that with an overt musical tempo you're in trouble.

SHIVERING SHAKESPEARE has several Peckinpah's (slow-motion flying pies) that add absolutely nothing to the comic value of the scene.  But the blackout gag is beautiful.

As for Stooges vs Laurel & Hardy vs Abbott & Costello vs Marx Bros etc - it's always fascinating to me to see who likes which comics and who really dislikes others.

I was going to "like" this, but it bears repeating instead.

I too find individual opinions on comedy fascinating.

One early morning I caught TOMMY BOY playing on TV. I watched it and thought it was a laugh riot. I caught it playing again a week later and was wholly bored by it within the first 20 minutes! What did I see in it the first time?

There is NO ACCOUNTING for taste when it comes to comedy. Much must depend upon the viewer and even the viewer's state of mind when seeing it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings