Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Count Floyd should've introduced the Mrs. Soffel/ Kildare double feature this morning.

LornaHansonForbes

Because they fit in so well with the rest of the line up today- Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, Mad Love, The Birds, Sweeney Todd (a taped version of the 1982 stage show)- all of which could be sold easily as horror films (and if you doubt that last one, just check out Angela Lansbury's make-up, the scariest horror hag performance of the stage...maybe ever? Any Helen Hayes fans out there wanna correct me?.)

But yeah, Mrs. Soffell and then a random Kildare feature right before we parade through the classic, and ostensibly valid horror films...non sequitor city here.

I can just see The Floydster trying to sell this one to the SCTV viewing audience...

(Transylvanian accent):

"it's a reaaally scary movie kids! it's a real spine tingler! It's Diane Keaton and they feelm her early in the morning, with no make-up! Boo! Arrrgh! Ah...scary....! And Lionel Barrymore...who isn't scared of him! Just imagine him naked some time! AHHH! SCARY!"

ps- The Haunting is on tonight...again. It is not scary. It is not essential.

pss- what the hell is Mrs. Soffell doing on the schedule? It's aired before too, I recall. Not being Dobbsian about it- I don't mind recentish movies on TCM- but decent recentish movies please. And...just nothing with Mel Gibson if at all possible.

psss- please tell me someone else remembers Count Floyd.

• Like 2

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, Mad Love, The Birds, Sweeney Todd (a taped version of the 1982 stage show)- all of which could be sold easily as horror films (and if you doubt that last one, just check out Angela Lansbury's make-up, the scariest horror hag performance of the stage...maybe ever? Any Helen Hayes fans out there wanna correct me?.)

And what is that accent that Angela Lansbury is using as Mrs. Lovett in that production? 

I've heard her speak with a decent Cockmey accent in other roles so I'm at a loss.

The woman singing "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" in that production gives me headache when she sings that song.

It's a good song,  but in that production it sounds like a dog whistle.

I can just see The Floydster trying to sell this one to the SCTV viewing audience...

(Transylvanian accent):

"it's a reaaally scary movie kids! it's a real spine tingler! It's Diane Keaton and they feelm her early in the morning, with no make-up! Boo! Arrrgh! Ah...scary....! And Lionel Barrymore...who isn't scared of him! Just imagine him naked some time! AHHH! SCARY!"

ps- The Haunting is on tonight...again. It is not scary. It is not essential.

pss- what the hell is Mrs. Soffell doing on the schedule? It's aired before too, I recall. Not being Dobbsian about it- I don't mind recentish movies on TCM- but decent recentish movies please. And...just nothing with Mel Gibson if at all possible.

psss- please tell me someone else remembers Count Floyd.

I still miss the brilliant, clever, and truly funny SCTV, and remember Count Floyd with great fondness.

"Not being Dobbsian,"  Love that!  With all respect to Mr. Dobbs, of course.

• Like 1

Mrs. Soffel is part of the old Turner library, and one of the last films covered by it as the Turner split for MGM films occurred in May of 1986, only about 18 months after Soffel was released. Personally, I think it was a pretty good film, with one of Diane Keaton's best performances, but that is just me.

I'm sure it's not just you.

I kinda sorta get Diane Keaton and I kinda sorta don't. I think she is great in a lot of stuff, but I don't get the Oscar for Annie Hall. Or the nomination for Marvin's Room (what the hell was that about anyway?)It's hard to respect her these days when she signs on to so many baaaaad movies. But the ultimate verdict is- quirks and mannerisms aside, she's good when she wants to be.

The less said about her Mrs. Soffel costar, the better.

Man, I guess the purse strings are tightening already. Thanks for the explanation for Soffel's presence on the am schedule.

And what is that accent that Angela Lansbury is using as Mrs. Lovett in that production? 

I've heard her speak with a decent Cockney accent in other roles so I'm at a loss.

The woman singing "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" in that production gives me headache when she sings that song.

It's a good song,  but in that production it sounds like a dog whistle.

The last time I saw the filmed 1982 production of Sweeney Todd was when Angela Lansbury was SOTM a year or two ago. It was pretty sharply directed- if I recall by Terry Hughes, who was one of the most popular directors with the crew of The Golden Girls and who guided the show through it's first several seasons.

I remember thinking the sets were a little bare-boned- but it was a touring production and didn't have the Broadway Budget.

I don't remember Lansbury's accent being an issue I had with anything- as a singer she has limited range, but I felt like she fit the part pretty well.

oddly enough, I haven't seen many films made in the last ten years, but one that I really, really did enjoy (much to my surprise) was Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd which I tho0ught was excellent.

All my goodwill was later eroded in one fell swoop by the unfortunate Dark Shadows film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings