Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

Hermager, Poltergeist!!

TCM, LOOK:

Enough, enough, enough, please.

There are plenty of post-1980 movies you can work into regular rotation as far as I'm concerned- I wouldn't mind a bit seeing Moonstruck, Stand by Me, Hairspray, Witness, Batman (1989), Henry V (1989) and others air on a regular basis on TCM. And if you want to be edgy and show some outright horror movies from recent(ish) decades, go right the hell ahead and show The Others (2001), Carrie (1976), The Hunger, Ghost Story, The Monster Club, Scars of Dracula, heck, I don't mind if Halloween and Return of the Living Dead showed up at the a.m. hours or on Underground.

But sersely: TCM, STOP WITH POLTERGEIST.

It is not classic. It does not bear repeating. I'll let you show it once a year, since you clearly like it and all, but after this: stop it.

Unless... by any chance, you unearth some discarded footage that reveals a last-minute revelation that the family in the film developed severe brain damage from asbestos or a nearby nuke plant or something that would explain their monumentally and inexplicably stupid decision in the final act of the movie to spend just one last night in house.

Please forgive the crassness here, but I think it helps to drive the point home:

Attn: family in Poltergeist: your [...] house tried to eat you. Do not take a relaxing bath (although you do need to fix those streaks, Jobeth) , do not put the kids to sleep in the room with the Devil Klown. Go immediately to the Motel 6. I do not care what Zelda Rubinstein told you about it being "free from spirits"- what the hell does she know? This was her first trip away from the Pole and the other elves didn't even miss her, AND ANYWAY: your [...] house tried to EAT YOU. Leave. Do not spend another minute, much less another night there, you stupid, brain-damaged people. Go get a motel room or sleep at a rest stop or just hang out at an all night Waffle House or something BECAUSE, (one last time)- your [...] house tried. To. Eat. You.

Gah!

It's really unforgivable on the part of the filmmakers because from that point on, I am wholeheartedly rooting for the house to eat the family, and frankly my sympathies have tilted that way for most of the film anyhow.

There is a new commercial out where the characters in a horror film are trying to find a place to hide and they hide behind a bunch of chain saws.    The point being that in horror films the character make really poor choices.  So yea, going back to the house was a really bad decision but that is key to the horror genre (like a neon sign in noir!).   If the characters didn't make really dumb choices there would be no plot.

...If the characters didn't make really dumb choices there would be no plot.

That could pretty much be said about almost any genre of movies, wouldn't ya say James?! ;)

(...especially comedies, perhaps)

That could pretty much be said about almost any genre of movies, wouldn't ya say James?! ;)

(...especially comedies, perhaps)

I think the horror genre takes the 'really dumb choices' to another level.   This is why most horror films are campy and why I'm not much of a fan of the genre.     

Yea,  in the noir \ crime genre there will be a few dumb choices but not to the degree we see in horror films.

As for comedies;   yes,  we see a lot of dumb choices in this genre but they are played for a laugh.  In a horror film they are done mostly in a serious manner (which is where the camp comes in).

Getting your keister kicked by a bunch of guys in pool ball

uniforms. Sad. :)

I should be a Packers fan. The only survivor of the small cities that composed the original NFL. Tremendous tradition. Yet, for some reason I'm not. Maybe too much success. I'd love to see the Lions win that division for a change. They've actually got a great defense this year. But Matthew Stafford is just a mediocre QB.

The Packers and **** are in my neutral zone. I really don't care that

much one way or another about them. The Lions seem to be one of

those teams that comes close, but never quite makes the cut, at

least not so far. But I also like to see someone else get a shot at

the division title instead of the usual suspects.

I made a typo and spelt Lions with the o in front of the i and it was

censored. Talk about overly sensitive. Gird up your lions.

Reminds me of the old t-shirt they used to sell, "Let's Lock L****"

The Packers and **** are in my neutral zone. I really don't care that

much one way or another about them. The Lions seem to be one of

those teams that comes close, but never quite makes the cut, at

least not so far. But I also like to see someone else get a shot at

the division title instead of the usual suspects.

I made a typo and spelt Lions with the o in front of the i and it was

censored. Talk about overly sensitive. Gird up your lions.

I really don't want to like the Packers but I do like Rogers.   He is the best QB in the game right now.    I would like him to win a SB so he would have more then Farve.   A guy I don't like and I believe was overrated.

No doubt Rogers is a great quarterback. Favre was great too. I think people got tired

of him going in and out of retirement. Brady is great too, but I can't stand the Patriots.

If you guys like him and he's such a great QB, why can't you spell his name?..........Great QB, lousy State Farm commercial. (Discount double-check, my a**.)

Vautrin, on 18 Nov 2014 - 3:43 PM, said:snapback.png

No doubt Rogers is a great quarterback. Favre was great too. I think people got tired

of him going in and out of retirement. Brady is great too, but I can't stand the Patriots.

If you guys like him and he's such a great QB, why can't you spell his name?..........Great QB, lousy State Farm commercial. (Discount double-check, my a**.)

We've got one Packers QB whose name people can't spell, and a former Packers QB with a dyslexic pronunciation of his name. 

(I mean, how did Favre become "FARVE"?  Was it the aftereffects of too much cheese?)

French pronunciation is wacko.

Uh-huh, and you know THAT'S where the Brits got that "superfluous u" of theirs from TOO, doncha?!!! ;)

(...and speakin' of "Overplayed Hall of Fame" here...do you folks think I might be "overplaying" this whole "superfluous British u" thing now TOO around here???????) 

I just wanted to use the letter 'u'.

Superfluously - and in upper case.

Now DON'T get carried away with the use of the uppercase, dark ol' buddy.

(...as you must ALWAYS be wary of people who do such a thing, ya know...along with those who overuse parentheses TOO, of course) ;)

Uh-huh, and you know THAT'S where the Brits got that "superfluous u" of theirs from TOO, doncha?!!! ;)

(...and speakin' of "Overplayed Hall of Fame" here...do you folks think I might be "overplaying" this whole "superfluous British u" thing now TOO around here???????) 

U certainly are.

U certainly are.

Well, okay then. At last count I have ONE who says "yes", and ONE who I THINK said "no".

(...it is any wonder at all why you people confuse me so much a around here...ever heard of the word "CONSENSUS", people???!!!)