Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

That's my favorite part. One of the hottest moments in classic film. That look in her eyes,when she takes off her glasses,and pulls her hair down? Holy moly!

Were they supposed to have gone into the back room to "do it", or did they just have a few drinks together and talk?

I scanned that list a few times and was shocked that "Dark Passage" and "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" didn't make the cut. I feel like those movies (both of which I like) have been aired quite a bit.

Welcome to the boards, Uncle Charlie (great screen name!).

The data I used was based on schedules going back to 2002. I think DARK PASSAGE has become a recent favorite of the programmers. In the 2000s and early 2010s it did not air as much, so its overall total is not as large as other ones. But if they keep broadcasting it, no doubt it will catch up to THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

Welcome to the boards, Uncle Charlie (great screen name!).

The data I used was based on schedules going back to 2002. I think DARK PASSAGE has become a recent favorite of the programmers. In the 2000s and early 2010s it did not air as much, so its overall total is not as large as other ones. But if they keep broadcasting it, no doubt it will catch up to THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

So there I sat, watching NBNW for the gazillionth time, and Mr. Primos comes in and zeroes in on the cars, natch. That's a '58 this, and that's a '56 that, et cetera.

What's this movie, he asks. :o

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT? You've never SEEN North By Northwest?

How funny is that? :D

• Like 1

I barely scanned the October schedule yesterday but one title that immediately jumped out at me was THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Definitely overplayed. Airs at least 7 or 8 times a year, every year...if not more.

I barely scanned the October schedule yesterday but one title that immediately jumped out at me was THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Definitely overplayed. Airs at least 7 or 8 times a year, every year...if not more.

Blech.

Yes, both Shirley Temple and this movie: blech.

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in October.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

70 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…74

CASABLANCA…74

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…73

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…72

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…71

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…65

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…63

MILDRED PIERCE…62

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…60

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…60

GIGI…60

50 or more broadcasts:

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…59

GASLIGHT (1944)…59

MEET JOHN DOE…59

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…59

THE BIG SLEEP…57

SERGEANT YORK…57

BRINGING UP BABY...57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…56

KEY LARGO…56

ADAM’S RIB…55

FORBIDDEN PLANET…55

A FACE IN THE CROWD…55

THE THIN MAN…54

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…54

THE WOMEN…54

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…54

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…53

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF…53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…53

NOW, VOYAGER…52

STAGECOACH…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

ON THE TOWN…52

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…52

SUSPICION…52

NINOTCHKA…52

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…51

THE YEARLING…50

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…50

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…50

GUYS AND DOLLS…50

THE TIME MACHINE…50

LOVE AFFAIR…50

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…50

EXECUTIVE SUITE…50

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…50

40 or more broadcasts:

NOTORIOUS…49

MY FAIR LADY…49

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…49

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…49

GUNGA DIN…49

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE…49

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…48

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN…48

NATIONAL VELVET…47

MOGAMBO…47

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…47

ON THE WATERFRONT…47

BEN-HUR…46

WOMAN OF THE YEAR…46

MY FAVORITE WIFE…46

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS…46

THE BAND WAGON…46

DUEL IN THE SUN…45

HIGH SIERRA…45

THE HARVEY GIRLS…45

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME…45

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK…45

TOP HAT…45

HOW THE WEST WAS WON…45

OUT OF THE PAST…44

DR. STRANGELOVE…44

GRAND HOTEL…44

PAT AND MIKE…44

A PATCH OF BLUE…44

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES…44

SWING TIME…44

BORN YESTERDAY…44

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY…44

JEZEBEL…44

LUST FOR LIFE…44

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI…44

SOME LIKE IT HOT…43

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA…43

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)…43

HIGH SOCIETY…43

WHITE HEAT…43

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)…43

THE LETTER (1940)…43

12 ANGRY MEN…43

BOYS TOWN…43

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE…42

THE WAY WE WERE…42

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE…42

CABIN IN THE SKY…42

KING KONG…42

LASSIE COME HOME…42

ANATOMY OF A MURDER…42

THE TENDER TRAP…42

LIBELED LADY…41

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS…41

ROYAL WEDDING…41

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY…41

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT…41

FUNNY GIRL…41

DR. ZHIVAGO…41

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME…41

IVANHOE…41

HIS GIRL FRIDAY…41

THE HAUNTING…41

KING SOLOMON’S MINES…41

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE…40

DOUBLE INDEMNITY…40

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in November.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

70 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…74

CASABLANCA…74

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…73

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…72

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…71

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…65

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…63

MILDRED PIERCE…62

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…60

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…60

GIGI…60

50 or more broadcasts:

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…59

GASLIGHT (1944)…59

MEET JOHN DOE…59

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…59

THE BIG SLEEP…57

SERGEANT YORK…57

BRINGING UP BABY...57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…56

KEY LARGO…56

ADAM’S RIB…55

FORBIDDEN PLANET…55

A FACE IN THE CROWD…55

THE THIN MAN…54

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…54

THE WOMEN…54

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…54

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…53

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF…53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…53

NOW, VOYAGER…52

STAGECOACH…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

ON THE TOWN…52

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…52

SUSPICION…52

NINOTCHKA…52

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…51

THE YEARLING…50

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…50

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…50

GUYS AND DOLLS…50

THE TIME MACHINE…50

LOVE AFFAIR…50

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…50

EXECUTIVE SUITE…50

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…50

40 or more broadcasts:

NOTORIOUS…49

MY FAIR LADY…49

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…49

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…49

GUNGA DIN…49

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE…49

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…48

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN…48

NATIONAL VELVET…47

MOGAMBO…47

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…47

ON THE WATERFRONT…47

BEN-HUR…46

WOMAN OF THE YEAR…46

MY FAVORITE WIFE…46

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS…46

THE BAND WAGON…46

DUEL IN THE SUN…45

HIGH SIERRA…45

THE HARVEY GIRLS…45

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME…45

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK…45

TOP HAT…45

HOW THE WEST WAS WON…45

OUT OF THE PAST…44

DR. STRANGELOVE…44

GRAND HOTEL…44

PAT AND MIKE…44

A PATCH OF BLUE…44

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES…44

SWING TIME…44

BORN YESTERDAY…44

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY…44

JEZEBEL…44

LUST FOR LIFE…44

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI…44

SOME LIKE IT HOT…43

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA…43

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)…43

HIGH SOCIETY…43

WHITE HEAT…43

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)…43

THE LETTER (1940)…43

12 ANGRY MEN…43

BOYS TOWN…43

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE…42

THE WAY WE WERE…42

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE…42

CABIN IN THE SKY…42

KING KONG…42

LASSIE COME HOME…42

ANATOMY OF A MURDER…42

THE TENDER TRAP…42

LIBELED LADY…41

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS…41

ROYAL WEDDING…41

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY…41

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT…41

FUNNY GIRL…41

DR. ZHIVAGO…41

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME…41

IVANHOE…41

HIS GIRL FRIDAY…41

THE HAUNTING…41

KING SOLOMON’S MINES…41

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE…40

DOUBLE INDEMNITY…40

I haven't noticed that many recent runs of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. I suspect they were skewed toward earlier in the period.

I haven't noticed that many recent runs of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. I suspect they were skewed toward earlier in the period.

It will be back, probably in November and December.

I'm surprised GASLIGHT '44 didn't reappear in October, since it has the type of atmospheric touches that suit October's themes.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be updating the information in this thread when the November schedule becomes available...

Personally, I've never understood the obsession with this topic. If we take out all the great "overplayed" movies, what do we have - many showings of secind rank films? TopB, from your past posts, I get the impression (I could be wrong) that you mostly use TCM as a vehicle for taping, not live viewing. Maybe a repeat offender is a chance for you to pull up one you haven't yet seen or watched in a while.

Well, sure those films are played a lot but it's not like there are not 22 more hours each day for other films that are more obscure.

I have no problem with classics being played more frequently even if I have to get up at 3am to watch some oddball film like "Stranger on the Third Floor".

Personally, I've never understood the obsession with this topic. If we take out all the great "overplayed" movies, what do we have - many showings of secind rank films? TopB, from your past posts, I get the impression (I could be wrong) that you mostly use TCM as a vehicle for taping, not live viewing. Maybe a repeat offender is a chance for you to pull up one you haven't yet seen or watched in a while.

Yes, I do use TCM to record films (or at least I did in the past). 

I do not think there is anything wrong with lesser seen second rank films getting airplay. Not everything has to be GONE WITH THE WIND caliber to be enjoyed.

Also, I am not sure if people are obsessing about overplayed titles-- but people are obsessing instead about the programmers' occasional inability to think outside the box a bit more. The guest programmers especially seem to pick a lot of the same titles. And Essentials is often criticized for not airing very many Paramount or Republic titles.

The majority of the films made during the studio-era were 'second rank' films (i.e. 'B' pictures, programmers).   If given the choice between an overplayed first rate movie that I have seen many times verses a 'second ranked' film I have never seen,  I'd pick the latter.

E.g. My favorite actress is Bette Davis.   Of course I have seen all of her 'greatest hits' many times,  but there are still Davis films,  especially her 30s films,  that I haven't seen.    I wish TCM would show those films (e.g. Fashions of 1934),  instead of the same Davis hit rotation.  

But I do understand that people that haven't been hooked on TCM since the late 90s like me may not have seen Davis films like Now Voyager,  Dark Victory,  The Letter,  All About Eve,   etc....   TMC has to show those first rate films since it has to appeal to all different types of movie lovers.  

• Like 1

I do not think there is anything wrong with lesser seen second rank films getting airplay. Not everything has to be GONE WITH THE WIND caliber to be enjoyed.

Also, I am not sure if people are obsessing about overplayed titles-- but people are obsessing instead about the programmers' occasional inability to think outside the box a bit more. The guest programmers especially seem to pick a lot of the same titles. And Essentials is often criticized for not airing very many Paramount or Republic titles.

As for Republic titles;  Get-TV had Beyond the Last Frontier, a Republic movie from 1943 on yesterday.    This was a routine western,  but it does have a young Robert Mitchum.  He wasn't the star or hero of the film but he was the second leading actor in the film.    He starts off as a bad guy but ends up joining the good guys  (I only point this out because while watching the film,  I wondered if, at this stage of his career, Bob would really be the guy in a black hat in this western).    

So related to your post;   The film was clearly a second rate film, but it still was worth watching,  it had historical value, and it was entertaining.     So I wish TCM would feature more Republic films like that one.   

• Like 2

-- but people are obsessing instead about the programmers' occasional inability to think outside the box a bit more. The guest programmers especially seem to pick a lot of the same titles. And Essentials is often criticized for not airing very many Paramount or Republic titles.

This makes sense.

I'm with CaveGirl--if playing films that are "overplayed" allows TCM to show forgotten gems like the 1930 "New Moon" & "Sweet Kitty Bellairs" (1930), 2 Pre-Code musical romps, & to restore forgotten film noirs, & silents, etc., I can watch North by Northwest 20 times a year.

I'm with CaveGirl--if playing films that are "overplayed" allows TCM to show forgotten gems like the 1930 "New Moon" & "Sweet Kitty Bellairs" (1930), 2 Pre-Code musical romps, & to restore forgotten film noirs, & silents, etc., I can watch North by Northwest 20 times a year.

YOU can be the one who watches NBNW 20 times a year, while I'll be the one who watches the forgotten film noirs. Fair deal?

Re: The OPHOF - I think I just like the best of the best being played several times a year because I always like the idea of hooking newcomers to TCM who are uninitiated to the idea of all these classics being shown "uncut and uninterrupted". I have no knowledge of numbers - how many new subscribers each year (if any?) rise/ fall in ratings depending on the schedule? and do ratings matter much anyway?

Variety in general is a good thing though.

Due to a childhood spent viewing films with a family who even knew the names of folks like Vera Vague and Louis Jean Heyt, I have seen most famous films more than a few times.

Consequently I desire stranger fare, like "Berlin Alexanderplatz", "Ai-No Corrida" and shorts by Kenneth Anger for my daily diet. But I realize in fairness that if I had not been fed baby food* films to begin with [the easily assimilated and digested ones slanted toward a more far reaching audience] I would never have graduated to the more obtuse and sophisticated fare that I now enjoy.

Not wishing to deny any neophyte film fans of being able to start at the beginning as I was allowed, I only require about one film a day to satisfy my more gourment tastes. If TCM showed only what a major film lover of long time wanted, it would probably turn off most of the newbie public.

For example, a person I know who is around 28 and likes movies [according to him] asked if he could borrow some films from me, knowing that I have a list of every dvd I own due to rebuying the same movie a few times, and learning by experience. So...reluctantly I give this guy my list of over 600 films and he starts looking at it in wonderment and finally says after about five minutes "I have never even heard of any of these films."

Now this is probably due to the fact, that often I buy things I am afraid will immediately go out of print, like "Au Hasard, Balthazar" so have more offbeat stuff. But I know that to program for wacky film nuts like myself, would cause TCM to lose most of their viewership so I am content to get to still see at least a few more obscure things daily and not be a baby about it.

For the above reasons I have no beef about TCM playing a bunch of rather shopworn films each month for the delight of the always changing masses.

PS I do own "The Wizard of Oz" but have never bought "Gone With the Wind" as I know it will always show up again and again on tv and on dvd.

*no denigration intended as I like these films also

• Like 1