Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

A couple of questions/comments:

1) Movie Collector OH's database says HERE COMES MR. JORDAN, which aired again last night, has been shown 46 times since 2001. You don't have it listed as having been shown even as many as 40 times since 2002. I suppose it's possible it aired seven times in 2001 and is hovering just off your list at 39. Or is this possibly an omission?

(Popping back on to edit myself: Movie Collector says he does occasionally have data from even earlier than 2001, so he could have counted airings of JORDAN from earlier than that year).

2) You've got to go pretty far down on the list, but I managed to find at least three Paramount titles: DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS and SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. Nothing from either Universal or Fox is on the list, however, which makes me curious (and I will also try to find the answer myself): what's the most-played Universal film and the most-played Fox film in TCM history?

The last time I had shared any of this with anyone was back in the Summer.  Then I didn't share any more updates until I recently added the page under my signature.  I don't really make a point to verify other peoples posts, unless someone might be asking a question, like "has TCM shown this movie", or posts like yours.

While I haven't cross-examined the numbers in this thread, you are likely seeing numbers from an older data set.  It was a contiguous block of schedules from Jan 2002 - this past Summer.  Later on I added in a non-contiguous block of schedules, from 1997-2001, better explained on the missing schedules part of my page.

Since "2002-the present" is contiguous, those years in my reports will not have skewed data caused by missing months.  So on all my statistical reports numbered 1-8 (so far), you will only see data from those years.  If I can find a source for the rest of the missing months, then I will incorporate them into the reports as well.  To generalize a bit, those earlier years had a smaller lexicon of movies and a higher rate of repetition than what we have today.

Highest shown Fox features:

The Black Swan (1942)

South Pacific (1958)

I Was A Male War Bride (1949)

The Little Princess (1939)

Beneath The 12-Mile Reef (1953)

The Hustler (1961)

Highest shown Universal features:

Operation Petticoat (1959) * UI

My Man Godfrey (1936)

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) * UI

Imitation Of Life (1959) * UI

Touch Of Evil (1958) * UI

Show Boat (1936)

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

I try to avoid words like "never" when speaking of past TCM schedules.  That is a mistake you might see others make out of their enthusiasm for the subject, but not me.  Words like that tend to be misleading at best.  The data I present is limited by the data I present.  So, while I believe it to be as accurate as possible, it is strictly an analysis on the old schedules and not TCM's actual presentations.

As Grammar Girl tells us:

Some of the most dangerous words you can throw around are "always" and "never." They almost beg people to ask, "Really? Never?

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/always-never-usually-often-most-and-more?page=all

BTW, click on my signature and compare and contrast my statistical reports #3 and #4, with #7 and #8, as the former two represent all films scheduled on TCM, and the latter two represent all films from outside studios (non-Turner library) scheduled on TCM.

• Like 1

In all my monthly updates on this thread, I always say:

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002)

So obviously, I am using the data MovieCollector had compiled from 2002 forward. I am aware that if we suddenly had data all the way back to 1994, TCM's first year in operation, we'd be way over 100 broadcasts for NORTH BY NORTHWEST and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. And many other titles would have much higher totals, too. That goes without saying.

So in terms of this thread, I am going forward from 2002, adding to the totals when an overplayed title turns up on a future schedule.

Also, it should be noted, if something gets taken off the schedule due to a pre-emption-- and if something gets added because of a memorial tribute or last-minute substitution-- then I adjust the numbers accordingly.

As MovieCollector suggested in his earlier post, this is not an exact science. It's just a ballpark figure for people curious about which titles are in heavier rotation than others. That is all.

I've thought a couple of times about starting a new thread to ask this question, but I'll just ask it here while I'm thinking about it: does anyone have any idea if THE SOUND OF MUSIC has ever aired on TCM? It's not in Movie Collector OH's database that I'm looking at, but I swear I once saw it on the schedule sometime in say the past five years and was quite surprised. I will acknowledge the possibility that my memory is faulty, but feel like it wasn't something I imagined, because it was such an unusual occurrence, it burned into my memory banks. I have a strong, visceral impression of staring at my computer screen for a good 30 seconds and thinking, "Holy cow, they're going to show THE SOUND OF MUSIC on TCM!"  Then, for whatever reason, I didn't end up watching the night in question. So, possibly it was scheduled, then removed, like HEAVENLY CREATURES recently. Does anyone have any memory of seeing it or at least remember it being scheduled?

If it has never aired, I believe it would be the only Best Picture winner pre-1986 (PLATOON isn't shown in the database) to have never aired on TCM, as the two GODFATHERS had a legendary, one-time only showing on TCM back-to-back in August, 2006 (I was watching that night).

I've thought a couple of times about starting a new thread to ask this question, but I'll just ask it here while I'm thinking about it: does anyone have any idea if THE SOUND OF MUSIC has ever aired on TCM? It's not in Movie Collector OH's database that I'm looking at, but I swear I once saw it on the schedule sometime in say the past five years and was quite surprised. I will acknowledge the possibility that my memory is faulty, but feel like it wasn't something I imagined, because it was such an unusual occurrence, it burned into my memory banks. I have a strong, visceral impression of staring at my computer screen for a good 30 seconds and thinking, "Holy cow, they're going to show THE SOUND OF MUSIC on TCM!"  Then, for whatever reason, I didn't end up watching the night in question. So, possibly it was scheduled, then removed, like HEAVENLY CREATURES recently. Does anyone have any memory of seeing it or at least remember it being scheduled?

If it has never aired, I believe it would be the only Best Picture winner pre-1986 (PLATOON isn't shown in the database) to have never aired on TCM, as the two GODFATHERS had a legendary, one-time only showing on TCM back-to-back in August, 2006 (I was watching that night).

No, THE SOUND OF MUSIC has never aired on TCM.  

I think they showed it, however, at one of the TCM Film Festivals. 

I've thought a couple of times about starting a new thread to ask this question, but I'll just ask it here while I'm thinking about it: does anyone have any idea if THE SOUND OF MUSIC has ever aired on TCM?

- I don't see TSOM being scheduled during the last 18 months (agreeing with what others have said).  I have a small database going back that far that I have checked, but this is nothing compared to MovieCollectorOH's records.

- I see on the internet that TSOM was shown on the ABC network on Dec. 22, 2013, so perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

- Just to add, most TCM viewers are likely aware that TSOM was prominently featured during the TCM Film Festival at the end of March this year and was also briefly shown in a few local theaters in April as part of the 50th anniversary celebration (probably not saying anything you didn't already know).

I guess we should now return to discussing overplayed films...

;)

- I see on the internet that TSOM was shown on the ABC network on Dec. 22, 2013, so perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but that wasn't it. I watch ABC exactly one night a year, the night the Oscars are on, and I have never in my entire life been on ABC's website. I don't have the faintest idea what shows are even on ABC.

No, it was on THIS website which I am on virtually every day.I have a very strong memory of the colors, the layout, the designs all associated with this specific website. There it was, THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I clicked on the movie title, and there was a photo of Julie Andrews in her wedding dress, a short plot description of the movie, cast and crew, etc. And no, I wasn't searching the database for the title. I saw it listed on the schedule. I am 99.9 per cent sure of it.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but that wasn't it. I watch ABC exactly one night a year, the night the Oscars are on, and I have never in my entire life been on ABC's website. I don't have the faintest idea what shows are even on ABC.

No, it was on THIS website which I am on virtually every day.I have a very strong memory of the colors, the layout, the designs all associated with this specific website. There it was, THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I clicked on the movie title, and there was a photo of Julie Andrews in her wedding dress, a short plot description of the movie, cast and crew, etc. And no, I wasn't searching the database for the title. I saw it listed on the schedule. I am 99.9 per cent sure of it.

It must be the 0.10 percent that is fouling you up. I think TCM would like to air it on the channel, but it has not happened yet. 

I remember making posts about the film during the summer of 2013 when Eleanor Parker was Star of the Month. That is definitely when it should have aired.

Their was a special showing of it last year at the TCM festival. Maybe it had something to do with that??? I dont think TCM has ever aired it.

• Like 1

Their was a special showing of it last year at the TCM festival. Maybe it had something to do with that??? I dont think TCM has ever aired it.

Was there ever an online schedule for the festival? I don't know quite how that works, as I have not yet been to a festival. 

Was there ever an online schedule for the festival? I don't know quite how that works, as I have not yet been to a festival. 

TB, Here is the schedule that was used for the 2015 FF:

http://2015.filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/festival-schedule/

As you can see it is web-oriented and I don't think it is possible to go directly from there to one of the TCM Overview pages, as I think sewhite2000 implies as part of the recollection.  So basically I'm still stumped as to what may have happened.

• Like 1

TB, Here is the schedule that was used for the 2015 FF:

http://2015.filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/festival-schedule/

As you can see it is web-oriented and I don't think it is possible to go directly from there to one of the TCM Overview pages, as I think sewhite2000 implies as part of the recollection.  So basically I'm still stumped as to what may have happened.

Thanks so much, cmovieviewer. That's very helpful! :)

I suppose I should have mentioned my memory of seeing SOUND OF MUSIC on the schedule is from well before it was featured in the TCM Film Festival. So, I didn't somehow zap to a description of the movie from the part of the website dealing with the festival. My memory is very strong that I saw it on the schedule by clicking on Schedule in the usual way.

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I am feeling more and more like either my memory of the event is faulty, or if I am remembering things correctly, the movie wasn't on the schedule for very long and almost certainly didn't air. Maybe this is a question I could ask TCM Programmer (is that thread still around?) 

I suppose I should have mentioned my memory of seeing SOUND OF MUSIC on the schedule is from well before it was featured in the TCM Film Festival. So, I didn't somehow zap to a description of the movie from the part of the website dealing with the festival. My memory is very strong that I saw it on the schedule by clicking on Schedule in the usual way.

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I am feeling more and more like either my memory of the event is faulty, or if I am remembering things correctly, the movie wasn't on the schedule for very long and almost certainly didn't air. Maybe this is a question I could ask TCM Programmer (is that thread still around?) 

Since it has never aired or ever been placed on the TCM broadcast schedule and removed, my guess is that you saw a schedule for another channel. There is no way it could have been a TCM schedule, unless it was for the festival. 

The real point is that it is not an overplayed title. And there is no chance of it becoming an overplayed title on TCM.

I wrote the following comment in another thread about James Mason, where someone complained that NORTH BY NORTHWEST is airing yet again tomorrow. Seems like a shame that TCM may be ruining a good thing for viewers.

220px-Northbynorthwest1.jpg

I thought about this title and its excessive TCM airplay today. I would definitely be at the 'cannot bear it' phase, if I hadn't gone to film school. I still remember seeing this film for the first time, and how the professor's enthusiasm for it helped to personalise it for me and the other students. But if I was only relying on TCM's programming department for my experience of this film, I would be sick to death of it-- without really knowing why it's so special. 

I feel sorry for other TCM viewers who are getting a film crammed down their throats without really being allowed to enjoy it the correct way.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't fully combed through the April 2016 schedule yet, but I did see that THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is airing (NORTH BY NORTHWEST is not). So that will put it into the lead, as far as this tally goes:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-06%2Bat%2B9.26.0

Also, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS is airing again as part of the Judy Garland tribute, which means it will be tied with NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in April 2016.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

70 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…77

CASABLANCA…75

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…74

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…66

MILDRED PIERCE…63

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…63

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…61

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…61

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

GASLIGHT (1944)…60

50 or more broadcasts:

KEY LARGO…58

SERGEANT YORK…58

BRINGING UP BABY...58

ADAM’S RIB…57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…57

THE WOMEN…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

FORBIDDEN PLANET…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…55

STAGECOACH…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…55

ON THE TOWN…55

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF…54

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…54

NINOTCHKA…54

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…54

THE YEARLING…54

NOW, VOYAGER…54

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…54

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

SUSPICION…53

GUYS AND DOLLS…53

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…53

THE THIRD MAN…52

THE TIME MACHINE…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…52

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…52

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…51

LOVE AFFAIR…51

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…50

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE…50

ON THE WATERFRONT…50

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…50

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…50

40 or more broadcasts:

NOTORIOUS…49

MY FAIR LADY…49

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…49

GUNGA DIN…49

MOGAMBO…49

MY FAVORITE WIFE…49

NATIONAL VELVET…49

BEN-HUR…49

THE HARVEY GIRLS…48

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME…48

THE BAND WAGON…48

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN…48

WOMAN OF THE YEAR…47

TOP HAT…47

PAT AND MIKE…47

HIGH SIERRA…47

LUST FOR LIFE…47

DUEL IN THE SUN…46

HERE COMES MR. JORDAN...46

OUT OF THE PAST…46

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS…46

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK…46

GRAND HOTEL…46

THE LETTER (1940)…46

SWING TIME…46

JEZEBEL…46

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY…46

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI…46

HOW THE WEST WAS WON…45

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES…45

WHITE HEAT…45

A PATCH OF BLUE…45

HIGH SOCIETY…45

BORN YESTERDAY…45

DR. STRANGELOVE…44

THE TENDER TRAP…44

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)…44

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA…44

LASSIE COME HOME…44

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY…44

SOME LIKE IT HOT…44

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)…43

12 ANGRY MEN…43

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE…43

CABIN IN THE SKY…43

BOYS TOWN…43

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME…43

THE WAY WE WERE…43

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT…43

DR. ZHIVAGO…43

KING KONG…43

LIBELED LADY…43

KING SOLOMON’S MINES…43

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS…43

ANATOMY OF A MURDER…43

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE…42

IVANHOE…42

HIS GIRL FRIDAY…42

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE…42

DOUBLE INDEMNITY…42

FUNNY GIRL…42

ROYAL WEDDING…41

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?...41

STAGE DOOR...41

EAST OF EDEN...41

THE HAUNTING…41

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN…41

MRS. MINIVER...41

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE…41

LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON…41

MISTER ROBERTS…41

A STAR IS BORN (1954)…41

THE AWFUL TRUTH…41

THE CAINE MUTINY…41

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY...41

THEM!...41

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE…40

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY…40

THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS...40

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA...40

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS…40

GONE WITH THE WIND…40

THE LONG, LONG TRAILER…40

JAILHOUSE ROCK…40

JOHHNY BELINDA…40

MADAME CURIE…40

ALICE ADAMS…40

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE…40

THE GRADUATE…40

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933…40

LOLITA…40

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?...40

ALL THE KING’S MEN…40

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN…40

FRIENDLY PERSUASION…40

THE MORE THE MERRIER…40

MARTY…40

GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (1939)…40

RED RIVER…40

THE PUBLIC ENEMY…40

THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER…40

BABY DOLL…40

DARK VICTORY…40

THAT UNCERTAIN FEELING…40

THE TALK OF THE TOWN…40

THE NUN’S STORY…40

THE GREAT DICTATOR…40

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY…40

FORT APACHE…40

Oh boy, Bonnie and Clyde is on tomorrow (Jan 11). Why I haven't seen that since yesterday.

I noticed that when THE WIZARD OF OZ airs for Judy's Star of the Month tribute in April, it is also scheduled again the following day. So sometimes, for whatever reason, an immediate repeat happens.

• 5 weeks later...

I looked over the May 2016 schedule yesterday afternoon.

imgres.jpg

I am happy to report that while they have another morning of Cary Grant films scheduled (on the 19th), they wisely avoided putting NORTH BY come on, say it with me NORTHWEST on the schedule.

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in May 2016.

70 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…79

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…77

CASABLANCA…76

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…63

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…62

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…61

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

GASLIGHT (1944)…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

KEY LARGO…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…57

THE WOMEN…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…55

NINOTCHKA…55

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…55

STAGECOACH…55

ON THE TOWN…55

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF…54

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…54

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

NOW, VOYAGER…54

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…54

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

GUYS AND DOLLS…53

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…53

THE THIRD MAN…52

THE TIME MACHINE…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…52

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…52

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…51

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…51

LOVE AFFAIR…51

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…50

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE…50

ON THE WATERFRONT…50

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…50

GUNGA DIN…50

40 or more broadcasts:

NOTORIOUS…49

MY FAIR LADY…49

MOGAMBO…49

MY FAVORITE WIFE…49

NATIONAL VELVET…49

BEN-HUR…49

THE HARVEY GIRLS…48

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME…48

THE BAND WAGON…48

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN…48

WOMAN OF THE YEAR…48

TOP HAT…47

PAT AND MIKE…47

SWING TIME…47

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI…47

HIGH SIERRA…47

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK…47

LUST FOR LIFE…47

DUEL IN THE SUN…46

HERE COMES MR. JORDAN...46

OUT OF THE PAST…46

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS…46

WHITE HEAT…46

GRAND HOTEL…46

THE LETTER (1940)…46

JEZEBEL…46

BORN YESTERDAY…46

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY…46

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY…45

HOW THE WEST WAS WON…45

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES…45

A PATCH OF BLUE…45

HIGH SOCIETY…45

DR. STRANGELOVE…44

THE TENDER TRAP…44

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)…44

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA…44

LASSIE COME HOME…44

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT…44

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS…44

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE…44

KING SOLOMON’S MINES…44

CABIN IN THE SKY…44

LIBELED LADY…44

SOME LIKE IT HOT…44

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)…43

12 ANGRY MEN…43

BOYS TOWN…43

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME…43

THE WAY WE WERE…43

DR. ZHIVAGO…43

KING KONG…43

DOUBLE INDEMNITY…43

ANATOMY OF A MURDER…43

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE…42

IVANHOE…42

LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON…42

HIS GIRL FRIDAY…42

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE…42

MISTER ROBERTS…42

THEM!...42

FUNNY GIRL…42

A STAR IS BORN (1954)…42

STAGE DOOR...42

THE CAINE MUTINY…42

THE AWFUL TRUTH…42

ROYAL WEDDING…42

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?...41

EAST OF EDEN...41

THE HAUNTING…41

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN…41

MRS. MINIVER...41

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE…41

THE MORE THE MERRIER…41

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA...41

THE NUN’S STORY…41

MARTY…41

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY...41

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN…41

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE…41

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY…40

THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS...40

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS…40

GONE WITH THE WIND…40

THE LONG, LONG TRAILER…40

JAILHOUSE ROCK…40

JOHHNY BELINDA…40

MADAME CURIE…40

ALICE ADAMS…40

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE…40

THE GRADUATE…40

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933…40

LOLITA…40

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?...40

ALL THE KING’S MEN…40

FRIENDLY PERSUASION…40

GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (1939)…40

RED RIVER…40

THE PUBLIC ENEMY…40

THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER…40

BABY DOLL…40

DARK VICTORY…40

THAT UNCERTAIN FEELING…40

THE TALK OF THE TOWN…40

THE GREAT DICTATOR…40

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY…40

FORT APACHE…40

• 4 weeks later...

I am updating the list now that we have the schedule info for June. I think I am just going to cover the ones with 50 or more broadcasts, because the list is getting too long with so many overplayed titles from the TCM/Turner library.

New developments: THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is the most-played title, and it reaches 80 airings on this list (though it was undoubtedly broadcast many times between 1994 and 2002). Meanwhile, several titles are on the schedule twice in June-- CABIN IN THE SKY; ON THE WATERFRONT; SOME LIKE IT HOT; and WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. 

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in June 2016.

80 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…80

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…76

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…63