Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

I love watching Hepburn.  There can not be too much hepburn .. there can be too much of one film but not too much hepburn.

Something tells me that King Henry II would say that there can be too much Hepburn.   :wacko:

I love watching Hepburn.  There can not be too much hepburn .. there can be too much of one film but not too much hepburn.

That's a good way to say it. A film of hers that TCM never airs is THE RAINMAKER with Burt Lancaster. I'd love to see it again.

• Like 1

I am updating the list now that we have the schedule info for June. I think I am just going to cover the ones with 50 or more broadcasts, because the list is getting too long with so many overplayed titles from the TCM/Turner library.

Well personally TB I am never too bored in watching Casablanca.  Here's looking at you TB.

• Like 1

I think any movie fan has films in their mental arsenal that are like "comfort food"; if they are scheduled you will watch them if you're home or at least turn to TCM and have them on in the background.  If you are not home you just might record said comfort food film again -- if you don't have a copy already. 

I'd rather watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST again for the umpteenth time than, say, the 1961 version of "The Children's Hour", which TCM airs sometimes and I have watched but did not care for.  

Or some of those movie musicals with the ear-piercing style of singing that drives me up the wall.  Ugh! 

I'm always amenable to flipping the dial to TCM for "Singin' in the Rain", though.  Same with "The Maltese Falcon" and a number of other films TCM plays/overplays. 

I'm always amenable to flipping the dial to TCM for "Singin' in the Rain", though.  Same with "The Maltese Falcon" and a number of other films TCM plays/overplays. 

And I think that's what the programmers count on...but the problem is that it does lead to a lack of diversity in programming.

I reckon there's always that quandary every month of how many "comfort food" films to air versus the myriad other films TCM can access that are not shown often or at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall in the not-too-distant past TCM aired the 1965 Universal picture "MIRAGE" for the 1st time.  There's a spate of other Universal movies I'd like to see on TCM if The Powers That Be @ Turner Classic can gain access to them. 

I watched SEND ME NO FLOWERS last night, which was a Universal picture.  That was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening after the particularly unfunny day I had.   

I watched SEND ME NO FLOWERS last night, which was a Universal picture.  That was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening after the particularly unfunny day I had.   

I think SEND ME NO FLOWERS, which airs fairly often, is less expensive to rent than PILLOW TALK, which is usually recognized as the top Day-Hudson entry. And the reason it is shown on TCM is because of its star power. There are many very good Universal films that are probably not on the programmers' radar, because TCM's themes are driven by household names and critical favorites.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in July 2016.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

80 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…80

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…76

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…75

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…63

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…62

GASLIGHT (1944)…61

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

KEY LARGO…59

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

ON THE TOWN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…56

STAGECOACH…56

NINOTCHKA…55

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF...55

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…55

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

GUYS AND DOLLS…54

NOW, VOYAGER…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…53

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…52

ON THE WATERFRONT...52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…51

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...51

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…51

LOVE AFFAIR…51

GUNGA DIN…50

BEN-HUR…50

• Like 1

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in July 2016.

80 or more broadcasts:

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…76

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…63

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

GASLIGHT (1944)…61

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

KEY LARGO…59

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

ON THE TOWN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…56

STAGECOACH…56

NINOTCHKA…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…55

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

GUYS AND DOLLS…54

NOW, VOYAGER…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

ON THE WATERFRONT...52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...51

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…51

LOVE AFFAIR…51

GUNGA DIN…50

Your research is on the money, TB but for some reason I just don't have a problem with the rebroadcasting of many of these classics over and over as long as TCM also fills in the gaps with the many smaller or less famous or foreign pictures, which I must say they do.

For example, last night they showed the Max Ophuls' film, "Le Plaisir" and then the Jean Gabin film, "Remorques" [aka "Stormy Waters"] which I doubt any other cable channel would be playing.

Since I can't watch tv twenty-four hours a day, I am content that TCM show some films multiple times yearly, as long as they have at least two to four hours a day of things that I've never seen, which is always true. And I have seen so many movies, that it would be hard to continually surprise me, but TCM manages it monthly.

I own the books on the complete catalog of films for majors like MGM. Warners, RKO, Universal, etc. and while perusing have seen names of films so obscure that they have never been written about, but then they will actually pop up on the TCM schedule which is why I will always be impressed with TCM's programming.

But your point is well taken, just in terms of the knowledge of what films are shown the most so thanks!

• Like 1

Your research is on the money, TB but for some reason I just don't have a problem with the rebroadcasting of many of these classics over and over as long as TCM also fills in the gaps with the many smaller or less famous or foreign pictures, which I must say they do.

For example, last night they showed the Max Ophuls' film, "Le Plaisir" and then the Jean Gabin film, "Remorques" [aka "Stormy Waters"] which I doubt any other cable channel would be playing.

Since I can't watch tv twenty-four hours a day, I am content that TCM show some films multiple times yearly, as long as they have at least two to four hours a day of things that I've never seen, which is always true. And I have seen so many movies, that it would be hard to continually surprise me, but TCM manages it monthly.

I own the books on the complete catalog of films for majors like MGM. Warners, RKO, Universal, etc. and while perusing have seen names of films so obscure that they have never been written about, but then they will actually pop up on the TCM schedule which is why I will always be impressed with TCM's programming.

But your point is well taken, just in terms of the knowledge of what films are shown the most so thanks!

Your point(s) are well-taken, CG. I was rather late updating the thread this time around, because I was debating the value in it. And I thought the title of the thread seemed a bit negative. 

But then I realized the goal of this thread is truly a positive one-- it's good to remind the programmers they have a lot of lesser played films in the TCM/Turner library. 

I was writing a piece on Dolores Del Rio for the Golden age roll call thread, and I noticed how quite a few of her Hollywood movies are in the TCM/Turner library...she was under contract at United Artists, RKO and Warners. And yet, her stuff is seldom shown. I mean, we're talking a legend-- she was the first crossover star from Mexico, and she did not have a short career. There is great value in the programmers dusting her films off and broadcasting them instead of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-17%2Bat%2B1.46.5

Your point(s) are well-taken, CG. I was rather late updating the thread this time around, because I was debating the value in it. And I thought the title of the thread seemed a bit negative. 

But then I realized the goal of this thread is truly a positive one-- it's good to remind the programmers they have a lot of lesser played films in the TCM/Turner library. 

I was writing a piece on Dolores Del Rio for the Golden age roll call thread, and I realized that quite a few of her Hollywood films are in the TCM/Turner library, because she was under contract at United Artists, RKO and Warners. And yet, her films are seldom shown. I mean, we're talking a legend-- she was the first crossover star from Mexico, and she did not have a short career. There is great value in the programmers dusting her films off and showing them instead of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-17%2Bat%2B1.46.5

You are certainly very correct about the lesser played films, TB and I too would welcome more Dolores Del Rio anytime!

• Like 1

I think SEND ME NO FLOWERS, which airs fairly often, is less expensive to rent than PILLOW TALK, which is usually recognized as the top Day-Hudson entry. And the reason it is shown on TCM is because of its star power. There are many very good Universal films that are probably not on the programmers' radar, because TCM's themes are driven by household names and critical favorites.

"Usually recognized" by whom? I think LOVER COME BACK is MUCH better.

"Usually recognized" by whom? I think LOVER COME BACK is MUCH better.

I prefer LOVER COME BACK, too. But many film critics and film professors (at least the ones who taught me) consider PILLOW TALK the more distinguished offering. Probably because LOVER COME BACK is recycling plot devices that were established in the earlier picture. 

I prefer LOVER COME BACK, too. But many film critics and film professors (at least the ones who taught me) consider PILLOW TALK the more distinguished offering. Probably because LOVER COME BACK is recycling plot devices that were established in the earlier picture. 

Film professors actually discuss Doris Day comedies in class?

Film professors actually discuss Doris Day comedies in class?

Yes, mine sure did. PILLOW TALK is considered kind of revolutionary due to how it circumvented the production code with its "sex" scenes. 

That's because Doris Day was considered a professional virgin.

It had more to do with how the shots were framed, implying sexual things that were going on between the two characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in August 2016.

80 or more broadcasts:

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…77

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…64

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

GASLIGHT (1944)…62

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

KEY LARGO…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

ON THE TOWN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…56

STAGECOACH…56

NINOTCHKA…55

NOW, VOYAGER…55

GUYS AND DOLLS…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…55

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

ON THE WATERFRONT...53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...52

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…52

LOVE AFFAIR…52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

GUNGA DIN…50           

BEN-HUR…50

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in August 2016.

80 or more broadcasts:

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…77

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…64

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

GASLIGHT (1944)…62

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

KEY LARGO…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

ON THE TOWN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…56

STAGECOACH…56

NINOTCHKA…55

NOW, VOYAGER…55

GUYS AND DOLLS…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…55

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

ON THE WATERFRONT...53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...52

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…52

LOVE AFFAIR…52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

GUNGA DIN…50           

BEN-HUR…50

I actually  have nothing against repeating famous classics often on movie channels but that list you posted, TB reminds me of the movies they pick every dang year at a famous movie venue in my community.

They never go one step beyond the most popular films. Even my poor old granny once said "Why do they show the same old war horses year after year after year?"

Even she got tired of seeing "The Philadelphia Story" a million times.

The only time she got really excited was when they scheduled a showing of "Son of the Sheik" and she got out her old Rudolph Valentino candy box to show me beforehand.

I will say those are all good movies, and I guess some people have never seen them so should get the chance.

• Like 1

I actually  have nothing against repeating famous classics often on movie channels but that list you posted, TB reminds me of the movies they pick every dang year at a famous movie venue in my community.

They never go one step beyond the most popular films. Even my poor old granny once said "Why do they show the same old war horses year after year after year?"

Even she got tired of seeing "The Philadelphia Story" a million times.

The only time she got really excited was when they scheduled a showing of "Son of the Sheik" and she got out her old Rudolph Valentino candy box to show me beforehand.

I will say those are all good movies, and I guess some people have never seen them so should get the chance.

Actually, there were less titles for me to bold this time around..and I think the August 2016 schedule has less of the 'usual suspects' than the August 2015 schedule did. But I do agree that they need to dig a little deeper, especially by showing more classic Universal and Republic films. Plus, I really felt they could have left Humphrey Bogart and Bette Davis off this year's Summer Under the Stars schedule. Movies with Bogart and Davis are on TCM all year round. 

Actually, there were less titles for me to bold this time around..and I think the August 2016 schedule has less of the 'usual suspects' than the August 2015 schedule did. But I do agree that they need to dig a little deeper, especially by showing more classic Universal and Republic films. Plus, I really felt they could have left Humphrey Bogart and Bette Davis off this year's Summer Under the Stars schedule. Movies with Bogart and Davis are on TCM all year round. 

Tonto say, you speak the truth, Kemo Sabe!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be updating the overplayed list later this morning, now that we have the information for the September schedule. I don't think there are too many of the 'usual suspects' this time. Though the guest programmer did pick CASABLANCA-- which is not necessarily a bad thing for those who can never watch it enough times..!

• Like 1

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in September 2016.

80 or more broadcasts:

70 or more broadcasts:

CASABLANCA…78

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…68

MILDRED PIERCE…64