Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

I'll be updating the overplayed list later this morning, now that we have the information for the September schedule. I don't think there are too many of the 'usual suspects' this time. Though the guest programmer did pick CASABLANCA-- which is not necessarily a bad thing for those who can never watch it enough times..!

Count me in Top Billed on never enough CASABLANCA.  In fact my friend knows exactly what I will be doing when it is on...and knows best not to disturb.  I now watch it with the source book on the making of the film by Aljean Harmetz...a must read for any classic film fan. 

• Like 1

Yes, mine sure did. PILLOW TALK is considered kind of revolutionary due to how it circumvented the production code with its "sex" scenes. 

If I remember rightly, there were several split screen scenes circumventing the code, the one I most remember is Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in INDISCREET.

• Like 1

If I remember rightly, there were several split screen scenes circumventing the code, the one I most remember is Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in INDISCREET.

Yes, it was the use of split screens that allowed them to show and suggest things that otherwise could not be depicted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whoa boy, NORTH BY NORTHWEST is on the October schedule twice. 

And I also see GASLIGHT '44. 

Maybe TCM could show "North by Northwest" backwards and retitle it "Northwest by North"  and put it in a tribute day with Christopher Nolan's film "Memento", TB.

Showing "Memento" backwards is always a good idea.

Or put the Hitchcock film in listed as "Tsewhtron yb Htron" and see if people think it is a Russian film.

• Like 1

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in October 2016.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

80 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…81

70 or more broadcasts:

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…79

CASABLANCA…78

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…75

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…69

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…65

MILDRED PIERCE…65

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…64

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…63

GASLIGHT (1944)…63

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

SERGEANT YORK…62

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…62

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…61

KEY LARGO…60

BRINGING UP BABY...60

50 or more broadcasts:

THE BIG SLEEP…58

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…58

ON THE TOWN…58

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

STAGECOACH…57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…57

A FACE IN THE CROWD…57

THE THIN MAN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…56

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF...56

NINOTCHKA…55

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…55

NOW, VOYAGER…55

GUYS AND DOLLS…55

THE YEARLING…54

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…54

SUSPICION…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…53

ON THE WATERFRONT...53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…53

THE THIRD MAN…53

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...52

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…52

LOVE AFFAIR…52

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…52

GUNGA DIN…50           

BEN-HUR…50

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this thread. I am probably going to re-title it, so it has a dual purpose-- The Overplayed and the Underplayed. 

It occurs to me it's just as important to look at the titles in the TCM/Turner library that are kind of neglected by the programmers (for various reasons).

Noticing that SEQUOIA, a lovely MGM family film from 1934, hasn't aired since 2008 (and is finally returning to the channel's airwaves in September)-- that's what caused me to rethink all this.

70 or more broadcasts:

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…79

CASABLANCA…78

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…75

Unfortunately, even TCM has to deal with the issue of being under Warner's ownership, and Warner's increasingly neurotic panic that mainstream audiences, quote-fingers, "don't remember" or "don't care" about any less-identifiable old movies besides the four named, and adding Singin', Oz, and Gone with the Wind to make an even seven.

Warner tends to throw out whole orphanages with the bathwater, and if some DVD or Blu title (which they would dearly love finding any "proven" rationale not to sell or manufacture anymore) sells less then their unrealistic expectations, they don't assume "It was badly marketed", or "Collectors' markets are more demanding than mainstream wide-release-title ones", or "Time to cut back on an oversaturated title", they immediately leap upon their one all-purpose excuse:

"Modern audiences have lost interest in it!"

Yes, as you can tell, I'm a Bugs Bunny fan.  And I want the old ones back on disk, because I refuse to let Warner keep selling me "Space Jam" to placate me instead.

Unfortunately, even TCM has to deal with the issue of being under Warner's ownership, and Warner's increasingly neurotic panic that mainstream audiences, quote-fingers, "don't remember" or "don't care" about any less-identifiable old movies besides the four named, and adding Singin', Oz, and Gone with the Wind to make an even seven.

I think the reason GONE WITH THE WIND doesn't have such a high total is due to several reasons. In the early years of TCM, they just brought it out for very special occasions-- it was their prestige title (and the one that caused Ted Turner to buy the MGM/UA library in the first place). Also, it has a lengthy running time and you cannot schedule it as often as the shorter titles. Plus I think GONE WITH THE WIND is dealing with a bit of backlash due to the racial stereotypes in it-- if it was not an established, irrefutable classic, the PC police would have buried it long ago.

As for the others, you didn't include in your quote the most played film on TCM which is THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. That has nothing to do with Katharine Hepburn. It's part of a larger trend on the channel that Cary Grant is the most overplayed classic film star. And ultimately, it's about money. If they can keep making money on Cary Grant, then they will keep showing his films and making sure his image is all over the place. From a business standpoint, we cannot really fault them for that-- but it's nice to maintain a balance and show some of the unheralded gems with lesser known stars in them, too.

As for the others, you didn't include in your quote the most played film on TCM which is THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. That has nothing to do with Katharine Hepburn. It's part of a larger trend on the channel that Cary Grant is the most overplayed classic film star. And ultimately, it's about money. If they can keep making money on Cary Grant, then they will keep showing his films and making sure his image is all over the place. From a business standpoint, we cannot really fault them for that-- but it's nice to maintain a balance and show some of the unheralded gems with lesser known stars in them, too.

Also, if you throw it into the Warner theory, Philadelphia could be seen as the "Movie that symbolizes 30's MGM classiness" on a Famous 30's Star level (it's sophisticated comedy!) without being a genre-identified Musical, Family, Western or Suspense.

It's not one that WHV makes as one of their Symbolic Old Movies to Release on Disk because it's not a wide mainstream seller--most TCM film fans might have one copy, or not--but between their Cary Grant-centrism, and focusing on MGM films for their 28 Days of Oscar, it may often have the feel of "There, we showed Philadelphia Story, don't say we never show old movies anymore!"  

(Just as the merchandising of North by Northwest not only has Cary, but it's seen by Warner-proper as "Look, it's the airplane scene, it's iconic and it's Hitchcock--There, see, we're committed to classic films!"

To be fair, TCM the cable network still has a grounded sense of showing all old movies relatively equally, but in terms of cable vs. home-video concerns, they're still at the mercy of working for Mad King Ludwig, who has a fondness for the executioner's axe.   :(

To be fair, TCM the cable network still has a grounded sense of showing all old movies relatively equally, but in terms of cable vs. home-video concerns, they're still at the mercy of working for Mad King Ludwig, who has a fondness for the executioner's axe.   

Sounds as if you have a slight love-hate when it comes to TCM..? I think the most devoted viewers appreciate the channel, but also see where things can always get better.

Sounds as if you have a slight love-hate when it comes to TCM..? I think the most devoted viewers appreciate the channel, but also see where things can always get better.

A slight one:  I love TCM but I hate Warner, and the reason I love TCM is that they're the last outpost still trying to preserve the old days before the Bad Warner Stuff started to happen.

(Think the home-video oppression all started when Warner was traumatized out of ever making another 4-disk collector's DVD boxset ever again after we all didn't buy as many of the Fleischer Popeye and Yogi Bear sets as they hoped we would...And even the Looney Tunes sets on Blu-ray had to suffer for the fact that we didn't buy that "Mouse" set.

The cartoon sets seem to have found a new life on Warner Archive, but when they tried brush-sweeping the policy across the entire board and moving 42nd St., Yankee Doodle Dandy and Victor/Victoria there too, that's when them became fightin' words.)

I love TCM but I hate Warner, and the reason I love TCM is that they're the last outpost still trying to preserve the old days 

A lot of TCM's programming is tied into Warners' home video releases. 

A lot of TCM's programming is tied into Warners' home video releases. 

Nothing wrong with that, if WHV wants to use TCM to build up hype for some big restoration hitting the shelves--

The problems, as noted, starts when WHV thinks Northwest, Casablanca, Robin Hood, St. Louis, etc., are the ONLY old vintage titles they  can sell that will get any notice from the public, and that anything else needs to be "put away somewhere" for the public's own good.

The last time we did see WHV do a major group of DVD boxsets (besides the niche "TCM Spotlight" label for the isolated crowd they think still remembers Esther Williams or Doris Day), we got the Classic Musicals boxset, which remembered to include Singin' in the Rain, and the Golden Years:1939 boxset, which remembered to include Gone With the Wind.

It may literally be getting to the point that WHV thinks they can't sell vintage catalogue anymore without the help of one of their seven "ringers".  And when they start losing faith in those...  

Nothing wrong with that, if WHV wants to use TCM to build up hype for some big restoration hitting the shelves--

The problems, as noted, starts when WHV thinks Northwest, Casablanca, Robin Hood, St. Louis, etc., are the ONLY old vintage titles they  can sell that will get any notice from the public, and that anything else needs to be "put away somewhere" for the public's own good.

The last time we did see WHV do a major group of DVD boxsets (besides the niche "TCM Spotlight" label for the isolated crowd they think still remembers Esther Williams or Doris Day), we got the Classic Musicals boxset, which remembered to include Singin' in the Rain, and the Golden Years:1939 boxset, which remembered to include Gone With the Wind.

It may literally be getting to the point that WHV thinks they can't sell vintage catalogue anymore without the help of one of their seven "ringers".  And when they start losing faith in those...  

Not sure if they think these titles are the only ones that sell, but probably these titles sell the most. But in a way, some of the special programming and spotlights featured on TCM do not lend themselves to WHV sales. I am thinking specifically of the Projected Images series, because a lot of those titles were not owned by Warners. They were quite rare and not yet made available to the public by the copyright holders/owners. And after the Projected Images series ended, there was no huge demand for those films and that is perhaps why we never saw them issued on home video.

For purposes of this thread, I am defining any underplayed title as one that has not aired on TCM since 2011 (five years or more).

Underplayed titles that are airing in September 2016:

Not aired since 1997:

GUN BROTHERS

GUN DUEL IN DURANGO

Not aired since 1998:

THE PLAYER
BEYOND VICTORY

Not aired since 2004:

THE SCARF
MURDER BY AN ARISTOCRAT

Not aired since 2006:

PETTICOAT LARCENY
LORD BYRON OF BROADWAY
THE LADY CONSENTS
THREE LIVE GHOSTS
THOSE THREE FRENCH GIRLS

Not aired since 2007:

PROBLEM GIRLS
BANANAS
RETURN TO PARADISE

Not aired since 2008:

SEQUOIA
LOVE BEGINS AT TWENTY

Not aired since 2009:

DEVIL'S CANYON

HELL'S KITCHEN

THE CUCKOOS

CAPTAIN HURRICANE

ANOTHER WOMAN

Not aired since 2010:

JOE SMITH, AMERICAN
ALL NIGHT LONG
SHE WOULDN'T SAY YES
RETURN OF THE GUNFIGHTER
REDS
FLIGHT LIEUTENANT
CHASING YESTERDAY
FOUL PLAY
THE NAKED GUN
TOP SECRET!
ONE CROWDED NIGHT
OUTPOST IN MOROCCO

Not aired since 2011:

ESCAPE FROM EAST BERLIN
TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR 
THE GOOD HUMOR MAN
THE LONE WOLF STRIKES
A SHOT IN THE DARK
STRAIGHT IS THE WAY
THE YELLOW CANARY
TRAVELING SALESLADY

These titles are premiering on TCM in September 2016:

HOME IN INDIANA

SCARED STIFF

TORCH SONG TRILOGY

THOSE CALLOWAYS

MIDNIGHT MADNESS

BOSS

BLACK EYE

HARAKIRI

UNDER FIRE

BAT 21

THE FRISCO KID

THE GUMBALL RALLY

STRANGE BREW

ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY

SIDEWALK STORIES

HOT TIP

EUREKA

THE STEEL LADY

THE PACK

DRACULA'S DOG

THE NEANDERTHAL MAN

A COVENANT WITH DEATH

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Before I take a look at the November schedule, I wanted to go over the underplayed titles for October.

Again for purposes of this thread, I am defining any underplayed title as one that has not aired on TCM since 2011 (five years or more).

Underplayed titles that are airing in October 2016:

Not aired since 1997:

THE PRODIGAL (1931)

Not aired since 2000:

EMERGENCY CALL

Not aired since 2004:

FIND THE BLACKMAILER

Not aired since 2007:

GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL

Not aired since 2008:

HOLLYWOOD ROUND UP

Not aired since 2009:

BURN 'EM UP O'CONNOR

THE GREAT WHITE HOPE

MY WOMAN

THE PACE THAT THRILLS

PICCADILLY (1929)

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER

Not aired since 2010:

THE BIG WHEEL

THE MAYOR OF 44TH STREET

TOO MANY WIVES

Not aired since 2011:

ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT                                          

THE BIG HANGOVER                                                                        

BITTER VICTORY

PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH

SALT OF THE EARTH

SPEEDWAY (1929)

SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT

SPITE MARRIAGE

A TALE OF TWO CITIES (1958)

These titles are premiering on TCM in October 2016:

ALIAS JOHN PRESTON                                                           

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE                                                           

THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU                                                           

THE CHALK GARDEN                                                                       

THE CREEPING FLESH                                                                       

THE DEVIL SHIP PIRATES                                                           

DOLEMITE                                                                                   

EPIDEMIC                                                                                   

FIRST FAMILY                                                                       

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN                                   

GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN                                                           

HARRIGAN’S KID                                                                       

HONEYSUCKLE ROSE                                                           

HORROR HOTEL                                                                       

HOUSE                                                                                   

HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN                                                           

IS MY FACE RED?                                                                       

JAWS 2                                                                                   

JAWS 3                                                                                   

JINNAH                                                                                   

JOE                                                                                               

LADY SNOWBLOOD                                                                       

THE LAST MILE (1932)                                                                                  

LILAC TIME                                                                                   

MOTHERS OF MEN                                                                       

NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT                                                           

THE OBLONG BOX                                                                                   

ROAR                                                                                               

SCARS OF DRACULA                                                                       

SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN                                               

SNOW JOB                                                                                   

TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA                                               

TERROR OF THE TONGS                                                           

THE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU                                               

WE GO TO MONTE CARLO                                                           

THE WOMAN WHO WOULDN’T DIE                                               

THE ZODIAC KILLER                                                                       

• 2 weeks later...

I am defining any underplayed title as one that has not aired on TCM since 2011 (five years or more).

Underplayed titles that are airing in November 2016:

Not aired since 1997:

ZABRISKIE POINT

Not aired since 2005:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

Not aired since 2006:

SINS OF THE CHILDREN

Not aired since 2008:

YOUNG AND INNOCENT

Not aired since 2009:

ALWAYS TOGETHER

RAIN MAN

Not aired since 2010:

A LIKELY STORY

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER

Not aired since 2011:

NO SAD SONGS FOR ME

• Like 1

These titles are premiering on TCM in November 2016:

ALONE IN THE DARK (1982)

BLITHE SPIRIT (1945)

THE EAR (1970)

FANTASTIC VOYAGE (1966)

FUNERAL IN BERLIN (1966)

HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE (1980)

I'LL BE YOURS (1947)

KILLER PARTY (1986)

THE LIFE OF RILEY (1949)

LOVE ME FOREVER (1935)

MELINDA (1972)

THE MUTHERS (1976)

NICE GIRL? (1941)

PUNK VACATION (1990)

THE SAINTED SISTERS (1948)

WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE (1937)

WINGS (1966)

• Like 1

FUNERAL IN BERLIN (1966)

I enjoyed all the Harry Palmer films. I remember once TCM played 4 or 5 Michael Caine films in a row from about this time in his career. All had action and were good. I didn't know that Caine played action characters so often.

That was one more time TCM turned me on to a new actor. Or a side of an actor I didn't know existed.

• Like 2