Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

Yeah, why not-- they might make us appreciate the other ones again. :)

I have to agree.  No matter how much I love Casablanca, I'm not likely to watch it again for another 10 years.  So I'd rather that they just show the hokey Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? another 10 times just to get it out of their system.  When a movie enters the Overplayed Hall of Fame it's almost irrelevant whether I love it or hate it, since I'm not going to watch it either way.

I have to agree.  No matter how much I love Casablanca, I'm not likely to watch it again for another 10 years.  So I'd rather that they just show the hokey Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? another 10 times just to get it out of their system.  When a movie enters the Overplayed Hall of Fame it's almost irrelevant whether I love it or hate it, since I'm not going to watch it either way.

Even a special anniversary or re-release in theaters or on home video is not always enough of an excuse to re-present something that has already been seen countless times by countless people.

What they are doing is re-selling something that most people already have. It would be wiser to push product that people don't have or haven't seen in a long time.

TCM has to overplay classic movies, I am shocked! Shocked!

It would be interesting to see a database of all the movies and which ones have had the most all time.

You could probably ask which star gets played the most, I would like to see the numbers on that as well.

I have to agree.  No matter how much I love Casablanca, I'm not likely to watch it again for another 10 years.  So I'd rather that they just show the hokey Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? another 10 times just to get it out of their system.  When a movie enters the Overplayed Hall of Fame it's almost irrelevant whether I love it or hate it, since I'm not going to watch it either way.

Even a special anniversary or re-release in theaters or on home video is not always enough of an excuse to re-present something that has already been seen countless times by countless people.

What they are doing is re-selling something that most people already have. It would be wiser to push product that people don't have or haven't seen in a long time.

Yeah, I suppose there IS something to what you gentlemen are saying here, however, and I don't know if you have experienced the following which I have found myself occasionally doing, but there ARE times in which I'll be channel surfing and I'll come upon one of these great films on TCM while it's in the middle of being shown AND a film I already know "inside and out", and coincidentally, "Casablanca" being one of them.

And, for some reason, my channel surfing suddenly stops and I'll find myself suddenly transfixed upon this film yet again.

(...funny, ain't it)

TCM has to overplay classic movies, I am shocked! Shocked!

Your comment is a bit misleading. We're talking about the overplaying of some classics, not all classics--and not classics in general.

Yeah, I suppose there IS something to what you gentlemen are saying here, however, and I don't know if you have experienced the following which I have found myself occasionally doing, but there ARE times in which I'll be channel surfing and I'll come upon one of these great films on TCM while it's in the middle of being shown AND a film I already know "inside and out", and coincidentally, "Casablanca" being one of them.

And, for some reason, my channel surfing suddenly stops and I'll find myself suddenly transfixed upon this film yet again.

(...funny, ain't it)

Yes, and I think that is what they expect people will do. But there are just as many times when I am channel surfing and I will come across something, and I will go-- I've seen that four times already, life's too short to make it a fifth time. There are other things I want to see and experience before I die. And I find something else to watch.

Yes, and I think that is what they expect people will do. But there are just as many times when I am channel surfing and I will come across something, and I will go-- I've seen that four times already, life's too short to make it a fifth time. There are other things I want to see and experience before I die. And I find something else to watch.

Valid point too, of course.

(...though when I "fall" for TCM's "trick", most of the time I guess I just don't get the sense I'm being "manipulated", and probably because, and in the case of "Casablanca" in particular, I seldom seem to find dialogue anywhere else while channel surfing as witty as what all those excellent actors in it are placing voice to) ;)

It Happened One Night is kind of the 30's version of The Graduate, that may be why it gets so much play.

I don't see any connection between these two films.   

A man chasing after a woman for long distances might be the only connection I see, though chasing after them for entirely different reasons, of course.

But other than that, I really have never considered IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT a "screwball comedy", as I've always thought that at least one of the lead character must be somewhat, well, SCREWY(a little "out there", and don't mean logistically-wise) for it be considered "screwball". And so, because both Gable AND Colbert are both reasonably, say, "sane" characters, I've always thought of it as being much more a "romantic comedy" instead.

And regarding THE GRADUATE...while Hoffman's character often doesn't "follow convention"(and another trait "screwballs" in screwball comedies often manifest in the genre), I think THIS film is much more a satire of American culture than "screwball".

(...but maybe this is just me)

Isn't there a potential wedding at the end of both? (spoiler alert)

"At the wedding ceremony, as Mr. Andrews walks his daughter down the aisle, he reveals Peter's refusal of the reward money to Ellie and quietly encourages her to run off again, telling her that her car is out back for a quick get-away. At the point where she is to say "I do", she makes up her mind. She runs off to find Peter. Her pleased father pays Westley off, enabling Ellie to marry Peter." It happened One Night

"He arrives just as the bride and groom are about to kiss. Thinking he is too late, he bangs on the glass at the back of the church and screams out "Elaine!" repeatedly. After a brief hesitation, Elaine screams out "Ben!" and starts running towards him. A brawl ensues as guests try to stop Elaine and Ben from leaving together. Elaine manages to break free from her mother, who claims "It's too late!" as Elaine has already said her marriage vows and kissed, to which Elaine replies, "Not for me!" Benjamin holds guests at bay by swinging a cross ripped from the wall, then using it to jam the outside door while the pair escape." The Graduate

Both movies are a buildup to these wedding endings. The father changes the daughters mind in the first, and the future husband changes the daughters in the second. It Happened One night was probably way ahead of its time.

And speaking of "Screwball Comedies"...

I've just referenced the film A FISH CALLED WANDA in the Sepia's "Happy Birthday John Cleese" thread, and I was thinkin' that THAT film might justly be called a "neo-screwball comedy", what with Cleese playing the befuddled "Archie Leach"(geee, I wonder where he got THAT name, eh?!) English barrister character involved in a slew of zany antics that go wildly in very direction.

(...thoughts here, anyone?!)

• Like 1

And speaking of "Screwball Comedies"...

I've just referenced the film A FISH CALLED WANDA in the Sepia's "Happy Birthday John Cleese" thread, and I was thinkin' that THAT film might justly be called a "neo-screwball comedy", what with Cleese playing the befuddled "Archie Leach"(geee, I wonder where he got THAT name, eh?!) English barrister character involved in a slew of zany antics that go wildly in very direction.

(...thoughts here, anyone?!)

The "king" of the overplayed hall of fame is the "Letterboxing" short.

I really have never considered IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT a "screwball comedy", as I've always thought that at least one of the lead character must be somewhat, well, SCREWY(a little "out there", and don't mean logistically-wise) for it be considered "screwball". And so, because both Gable AND Colbert are both reasonably, say, "sane" characters, I've always thought of it as being much more a "romantic comedy" instead.

I don't think Colbert's character is very stable. She may seem sane to us and to Gable, because we get a chance to empathize (or is it sympathize) with her situation--but to her father and everyone else back home, she's unreasonable and cuckoo.

It Happened One Night is kind of the 30's version of The Graduate, that may be why it gets so much play.

I think IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT gets a lot of play for some of the reasons I mentioned in the original post: it was made with household names (the leads and the director); it was a multiple Oscar winner; it is easy for the channel to lease from Sony; it gets selected by guest programmers; and it can be repeated as an Essential.

I think IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT gets a lot of play for some of the reasons I mentioned in the original post: it was made with household names (the leads and the director); it was a multiple Oscar winner; it is easy for the channel to lease from Sony; it gets selected by guest programmers; and it can be repeated as an Essential.

...and it was a great film.

...and it was a great film.

Yes, but there are a lot of other great films that need to be shown, too. :) Just because Title X is great doesn't mean it needs to be shown ad nauseum when Title Y, equally great, is patiently waiting in the wings.

Isn't there a potential wedding at the end of both? (spoiler alert)

"At the wedding ceremony, as Mr. Andrews walks his daughter down the aisle, he reveals Peter's refusal of the reward money to Ellie and quietly encourages her to run off again, telling her that her car is out back for a quick get-away. At the point where she is to say "I do", she makes up her mind. She runs off to find Peter. Her pleased father pays Westley off, enabling Ellie to marry Peter." It happened One Night

"He arrives just as the bride and groom are about to kiss. Thinking he is too late, he bangs on the glass at the back of the church and screams out "Elaine!" repeatedly. After a brief hesitation, Elaine screams out "Ben!" and starts running towards him. A brawl ensues as guests try to stop Elaine and Ben from leaving together. Elaine manages to break free from her mother, who claims "It's too late!" as Elaine has already said her marriage vows and kissed, to which Elaine replies, "Not for me!" Benjamin holds guests at bay by swinging a cross ripped from the wall, then using it to jam the outside door while the pair escape." The Graduate

Both movies are a buildup to these wedding endings. The father changes the daughters mind in the first, and the future husband changes the daughters in the second. It Happened One night was probably way ahead of its time.

In THE GRADUATE, the girl's father hated the guy (I think you are filth, I think you are scum). In IHON, the girl's father liked the guy.

IN the recent past I'd add 'KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT'.  I recall TCM showed it again when Eli Wallach died; I don't think TCM aired it yet again when Polly Bergen died, but I'm not 100% sure about that. 

While still keeping in mind TCM must keep trying to attract new viewers by airing just those (what we consider) 'overplayed classics' that they (the newbies) evidently not only expect but are thrilled to see, along with the rarities (shown during the day mostly) and some premieres to keep us (the more long-time fans) happy also. Keeping in mind the recent budget cuts and layoffs, maybe they're doin' the best they can.

Hey, I get bored with those titles too, but have been watching since before 2007. And if that forces me to maybe pursue other of life's options, maybe that's not such a bad thing. ;)

Just a thought.

:)

• Like 1

While still keeping in mind TCM must keep trying to attract new viewers by airing just those (what we consider) 'overplayed classics' that they (the newbies) evidently not only expect but are thrilled to see, along with the rarities (shown during the day mostly) and some premieres to keep us (the more long-time fans) happy also. Keeping in mind the recent budget cuts and layoffs, maybe they're doin' the best they can.

Hey, I get bored with those titles too, but have been watching since before 2007. And if that forces me to maybe pursue other of life's options, maybe that's not such a bad thing. ;)

Just a thought.

:)

TCM must attract (keep) previous viewers as well as attract new ones. For every marketing scheme or repeat viewing there is the chance that the already established core audience could fall away. 

Some might argue the rarities are thrown in to make it seem like there is great diversity in programming but the truth is that they usually rely heavily on what's available to them in the Turner Library. When we have threads on these boards with people discussing an upcoming monthly schedule, usually it is about a half-dozen rarities that people get excited about-- that is about 2% of TCM's overall monthly offerings. So ultimately the viewer, with ever-increasing cable bills, has to ask, is it worth paying $100 for six films (six films that they may not be able to record if the cable goes out in a storm, or if TCM has that occasional program glitch where the wrong title is played). (I say $100 because most people have to pay that much to get basic cable plus a movie package that includes TCM, plus equipment rental and taxes.)

The budget cuts can be used as an excuse by apologists but it can also be used by disgruntled TCM viewers who will cite it as proof of unavoidable decline in quality. Instead of six rarities, we may find by mid-2015 that it's only two rarities and that the titles in the overplayed hall of fame are getting broadcast even more than ever.

Now I am writing this post not because I want to argue but because I want to be clear that every time the apologists try to explain the channel, there is always going to be a valid counterclaim. As I said in the original post, I intend(ed) this thread to be constructive. Making excuses or on the flip side of that bellyaching excessively isn't going to help anything.

TCM must attract (keep) previous viewers as well as attract new ones. For every marketing scheme or repeat viewing there is the chance that the already established core audience could fall away. 

Some might argue the rarities are thrown in to make it seem like there is great diversity in programming but the truth is that they usually rely heavily on what's available to them in the Turner Library. When we have threads on these boards with people discussing an upcoming monthly schedule, usually it is about a half-dozen rarities that people get excited about-- that is about 2% of TCM's overall monthly offerings. So ultimately the viewer, with ever-increasing cable bills, has to ask, is it worth paying $100 for six films (six films that they may not be able to record if the cable goes out in a storm, or if TCM has that occasional program glitch where the wrong title is played). (I say $100 because most people have to pay that much to get basic cable plus a movie package that includes TCM, plus equipment rental and taxes.)

The budget cuts can be used as an excuse by apologists but it can also be used by disgruntled TCM viewers who will cite it as proof of unavoidable decline in quality. Instead of six rarities, we may find by mid-2015 that it's only two rarities and that the titles in the overplayed hall of fame are getting broadcast even more than ever.

Now I am writing this post not because I want to argue but because I want to be clear that every time the apologists try to explain the channel, there is always going to be a valid counterclaim. As I said in the original post, I intend(ed) this thread to be constructive. Making excuses or on the flip side of that bellyaching excessively isn't going to help anything.

Unlike the situation with many other cable channels, there is really no other place for core TCM viewers to go. That's why the first priority has got to be getting new viewers.

Unlike the situation with many other cable channels, there is really no other place for core TCM viewers to go. That's why the first priority has got to be getting new viewers.

Disagree. There are plenty of places to go. I should almost start a new thread on this subtopic. When I moved from Arizona to Wisconsin, I was without cable for six weeks, because I had moved into a new place where some of the construction/wiring was not finished yet (you might say I moved in too early). I was forced to find other sources of classic films, and I was able to find them. TCM is not the only game in town.

Also today's core viewers might include new viewers that were added to the fanbase just a month or two ago. Who's to say those people will stick around when after a few months they realize how many titles are overplayed? People are fickle, especially with cable bills so high and with other options.