Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

Amazing that most of the "Hill Street Blues" cast was never heard from again after the show ended.

I think one or two went into directing. Bruce Weitz had a long-running role on a soap opera. Barbara Bosson was married to Steve Bochco, so she probably never has to work again. Most of the others did sort of vanish from the Hollywood landscape (or so it seems).

I think one or two went into directing. Bruce Weitz had a long-running role on a soap opera. Barbara Bosson was married to Steve Bochco, so she probably never has to work again. Most of the others did sort of vanish from the Hollywood landscape (or so it seems).

Joe Spano and Robert Prosky did TV work, and of course Dennis Franz.

Joe Spano and Robert Prosky did TV work, and of course Dennis Franz.

Ken Olin (whose character was killed off after one year) may have had the most successful career in television after HSB-- he has starred in, produced and directed several series. Ed Marino did other shows, too, after his character was killed off but then he sort of disappeared.

Ken Olin (whose character was killed off after one year) may have had the most successful career in television after HSB-- he has starred in, produced and directed several series. Ed Marino did other shows, too, after his character was killed off but then he sort of disappeared.

That's Ed Marinaro, who led the nation in rushing while he was a running back at Cornell.

That's Ed Marinaro, who led the nation in rushing while he was a running back at Cornell.

You're right, thanks for the correction. In my mind, I knew it was Marinaro, but I typed Marino. Sorry about that. LOL

For awhile, THE CHOIRBOYS was available at Netflix streaming (not sure if it still is)-- it's a cult classic, about cops involved in various after-hours activities-- it sort of paved the way for Hill Street Blues and Charles Haid is in the cast of both.

You may already know this, but novelist Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD officer himself, was so disappointed and upset with Aldrich's final product of his story, that it would spur Wambaugh to take more creative control of all future film versions of his books.

I remember watching Aldrich's movie a few years after reading Wambaugh's book, and I could see why the writer was upset with Aldrich's film which goes more for the farcical end of Wambaugh's story which is really more a serious take on the pressures police officers face on a daily basis and how they handle or mishandle those pressures.

(...probably the very best movie ever made of a Wambaugh book, and which he oversaw much of the production, is 1979's THE ONION FIELD, and which would make James Woods a major star by playing the criminal sociopath and cop killer Gregory Powell) 

You may already know this, but novelist Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD officer himself, was so disappointed and upset with Aldrich's final product of his story, that it would spur Wambaugh to take more creative control of all future film versions of his books.

I remember watching Aldrich's movie a few years after reading Wambaugh's book, and I could see why the writer was upset with Aldrich's film which goes more for the farcical end of Wambaugh's story which is really more a serious take on the pressures police officers face on a daily basis and how they handle or mishandle those pressures.

(...probably the very best movie ever made of a Wambaugh book, and which he oversaw much of the production, is 1979's THE ONION FIELD, and which would make James Woods a major star by playing the criminal sociopath and cop killer Gregory Powell) 

Yes, Wambaugh was not happy with Aldrich's take on his novel. Not sure if THE CHOIRBOYS has aired on TCM, but THE ONION FIELD did a few years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the background on The Choirboys.

As an aside, I have been really amused by Drew's introduction of The Dirty Dozen is a "masculine war film" (or as she says it "mathculine.")

Thanks, Drew, for distinguishing that the film featuring the nearly all-male cast, that starts in a men's prison, and is set in combat during a war where both sides were predominantly comprised of men is a "masculine war film" and not one of those total chick-flick war movies, you know, where they stay up all night and laugh and cry and give each other makeovers.

God, I hope they pay her in Tic-Tacs.

• Like 2

As an aside, I have been really amused by Drew's introduction of The Dirty Dozen is a "masculine war film" (or as she says it "mathculine.")

Thanks, Drew, for distinguishing that the film featuring the nearly all-male cast, that starts in a men's prison, and is set in combat during a war where both sides were predominantly comprised of men is a "masculine war film" and not one of those total chick-flick war movies, you know, where they stay up all night and laugh and cry and give each other makeovers.

L-M-A-O here, Lorna!

"Paid in Tic-Tacs", huh?! Yep, lets hope so. THOUGH come to THINK about it, MAYBE the very reason little Drew lisped the word "masculine" as you reported, WAS because she HAD a Tic-Tac IN your mouth at the time, EH?!  ;)

(...I mean, is it REALLY de rigueur anymore for Valley Girls to have BUBBLE GUM in their mouths?...I mean, MAYBE that demographic is NOW "for sure" into Tic-Tacs INSTEAD?!...sorry, I wouldn't know!) LOL

• Like 1

Kiel Martin, Renè Enriquez and Trinidad Silva from 'HILL STREET BLUES' all died decades ago.  I believe Trinidad Silva was hit by a car in 1988 and Martin and Enriquez both died in 1990.

She was in the news yesterday saying she is going to act less and focus more on motherhood. I guess that means she will be available for a fourth, fifth and sixth season of Essentials. Heaven help us all.

• Like 1

She was in the news yesterday saying she is going to act less and focus more on motherhood.

I am reminded by this of John Barrymore's (alleged) remark to Katharine Hepburn on the final day of shooting on Bill of Divorcement,  when she claimed she was thrilled that she didn't have to act opposite him any longer-

"my dear, I was unaware you ever had."

• Like 2

I am reminded by this of John Barrymore's (alleged) remark to Katharine Hepburn on the final day of shooting on Bill of Divorcement,  when she claimed she was thrilled that she didn't have to act opposite him any longer-

"my dear, I was unaware you ever had."

I am afraid Drew Barrymore is going to be the one to outlast Robert Osborne on TCM, not Ben Mankiewicz or anyone else. The higher-ups think it was a major coup getting her and they are going to keep her as long as she wants to stay. And now that is beginning to seem like-- what's the word?-- forever.

I wonder why all the petty, snarky remarks towards D.Barrymore here. She is relatively young ( as opposed to Robert O. - whom I certainly respect) and might attract new fans to TCM. Are her views so off or misguided that it feels necessary to be so mean spirited?

I didn't see The Dirty Dozen intro, but am guessing that she may have been referring satirically to those war films that find it necessary to include "cute" barrack scenes where a multiethnic group bond, or cut to the "girl back home scenes" or on a " break from battle scenes" flashbacks to add some sex appeal or at least add some fraudulent romance in a lame attempt to widen audience appeal. There were plenty of those. Dirty dizen never compromises in that regard.

Her obvious passion for classic films could inspire the same in the uninitiated. Nothing wrong. with that. Some of the insults here are of a schoolyard bully nature and say more about the waspish, curdled nature of the poster than of Barrymore. She doesn't seem to take glee in putting down others as do they.

I wonder why all the petty, snarky remarks towards D.Barrymore here. She is relatively young ( as opposed to Robert O. - whom I certainly respect) and might attract new fans to TCM. Are her views so off or misguided that it feels necessary to be so mean spirited?

I didn't see The Dirty Dozen intro, but am guessing that she may have been referring satirically to those war films that find it necessary to include "cute" barrack scenes where a multiethnic group bond, or cut to the "girl back home scenes" or on a " break from battle scenes" flashbacks to add some sex appeal or at least add some fraudulent romance in a lame attempt to widen audience appeal. There were plenty of those. Dirty dizen never compromises in that regard.

Her obvious passion for classic films could inspire the same in the uninitiated. Nothing wrong. with that. Some of the insults here are of a schoolyard bully nature and say more about the waspish, curdled nature of the poster than of Barrymore. She doesn't seem to take glee in putting down others as do they.

Well gosh, Vertigo! Ya know, I gotta admit you make some valid points here, and NOW I feel a little ashamed of myself for playin' along with all this bashing of poor little Drew.

Yep, and so as an alternative, I'm wonderin' if perhaps Matthew Broderick's extremely lackluster performance a while back as a guest presenter might still be fair game here?

(...I mean, he IS a guy AND somewhat older than Drew is, and so maybe this whole "picking on" aspect might not apply so much to us "bullies" around here, right?!) 

You are new, and the voluminous posts about Drew prior to your arrival were virtually unanimous in saying that the major reason Drew is being used is that she is well-known to the younger generation and might help attract younger viewers. As a bonus, she has the Barrymore name, which is a big name on TCM. Any ability she might have as a host is completely secondary.

You are new, and the voluminous posts about Drew prior to your arrival were virtually unanimous in saying that the major reason Drew is being used is that she is well-known to the younger generation and might help attract younger viewers. As a bonus, she has the Barrymore name, which is a big name on TCM. Any ability she might have as a host is completely secondary.

Yep, or in other words, just look up the meaning of the word "nepotism" in your Funk & Wagnall(an acceptable present day alternative being the online use of "Dictionary.com") and all will be revealed.

And while I think she IS a very nice young lady AND greatly admire her for beating the "family odds" against her earlier drug and alcohol abuse, I just feel, and apparently so do many others around here, that the nice young lady IS somewhat out of her element when it comes to imparting keenly observed insights into the world of classic cinema.

(...but yeah, I'll bet many of the "younger viewers" out there think she's "like awesome" on The Essentials...well, TO the few of 'em who'll sit down to watch a, "horror of horrors", BLACK AND WHITE MOVIE, that is)

Are we now making apologies for Drew Barrymore?

I think there are people that dislike her so much on Essentials because she comes across uneducated in some/many of her remarks (notice I am not saying she is uneducated, just that she sometimes sounds that way). Lorna is right that if she's throwing the adjective 'masculine' in front of a war movie the implication is that there are feminine war movies-- and do people believe that?  So we have Drew making herself look un-knowledgeable, when the truth is that she's probably very smart about the filmmaking process. 

LHF, while I do like Drew Barrymore (NEVER BEEN KISSED is one of my favorite movies), I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this comment of yours.

Are we now making apologies for Drew Barrymore?

I think there are people that dislike her so much on Essentials because she comes across uneducated in some/many of her remarks (notice I am not saying she is uneducated, just that she sometimes sounds that way). Lorna is right that if she's throwing the adjective 'masculine' in front of a war movie the implication is that there are feminine war movies-- and do people believe that?  So we have Drew making herself look un-knowledgeable, when the truth is that she's probably very smart about the filmmaking process.

You love the word apology don't you? I guess any disagreements with your views must mean one is apologizing for some "bad/ unacceptable" behavior. That "there are people who dislike her" does not at all mean that those who like her are apologizing for anything. Are you "apologizing" for Ingrid Bergman if you defend her against any (and that does NOT include me) who question her talent?

As I clearly stated in my previous post (which you conveniently ignored, of course) Barrymore may obviously been referencing films that would include, say, "Away All Boats", "The Naked and the Dead" In Love and War" "The Girl He Left Behind" or even "The Caine Mutiny" which took ample time for romance breaks/plot lines as opposed to the rugged "The Dirty Dozen" which never came close, focusing entirely on its men in war from start to finish. That you and others can't get that concept, seems to me slightly obtuse. I think Barrymore was clear to those of us willing to listen.

And you of all people, TopB, who embrace a word such as "apologists" and twists it for your own sly purposes are hardly the one to mock someone else's fanciful use of the word "masculine "

You love the word apology don't you? I guess any disagreements with your views must mean one is apologizing for some "bad/ unacceptable" behavior. That "there are people who dislike her" does not at all mean that those who like her are apologizing for anything. Are you "apologizing" for Ingrid Bergman if you defend her against any (and that does NOT include me) who question her talent?

And you of all people, TopB, who embrace a word such as "apologists" and twists it for your own sly purposes are hardly the one to mock someone else's fanciful use of the word "masculine "

Why would I apologize for someone who received three Oscars. I don't think you understand what apologies are for and why people apologize on these boards. Your reasoning seems backwards. This may be why I always win our arguments. LOL

Also I am not the one who mentioned the comment about 'masculine' war movies first. That was Lorna. Take it up with her if you don't like that criticism.

Well gosh, Vertigo! Ya know, I gotta admit you make some valid points here, and NOW I feel a little ashamed of myself for playin' along with all this bashing of poor little Drew.

Yep, and so as an alternative, I'm wonderin' if perhaps Matthew Broderick's extremely lackluster performance a while back as a guest presenter might still be fair game here?

(...I mean, he IS a guy AND somewhat older than Drew is, and so maybe this whole "picking on" aspect might not apply so much to us "bullies" around here, right?!)

I can't comment on Broderick - didn't watch his intros - but "lackluster" seems a fair critical evaluation of his presentation and not so much a nasty spitball. I mean, few have come home school and cried to Mama, "He called me lackluster!" lol

While I like Drew as a public figure (I find her cute and she comes off as very nice),   I do feel she is lacking as a host.  That she really doesn't provide much depth when she talks about films.   But I have seen an improvement this year.    As for the comments of others;  This is a chat site and yea come comments are mean but hey that is what one gets in this type of forum.    Those that can't handle that need to lighten up.

As for Broderrick;   his presentation was so bad I can't recall if he provided any useful inslights as it relates to the films being shown.   

As I clearly stated in my previous post (which you conveniently ignored, of course) Barrymore may obviously been referencing films that would include, say, "Away All Boats", "The Naked and the Dead" In Love and War" "The Girl He Left Behind" or even "The Caine Mutiny" which took ample time for romance breaks/plot lines as opposed to the rugged "The Dirty Dozen" which never came close, focusing entirely on its men in war from start to finish. That you and others can't get that concept, seems to me slightly obtuse. I think Barrymore was clear to those of us willing to listen.

Excuse me for interjecting myself into your discussion with TB here Vertigo, but I just want to say that I read this earlier comment of yours here and I thought it did make good sense in perhaps "clarifying" Drew's use of the word "masculine". And while I admit I missed seeing the exchange between her and Bob on this edition of The Essentials, it seems as if with YOUR use of the phrase "may obviously been referencing (the examples you supplied) films", then perhaps would this NOT be a prime example of Drew's failure to express herself in a more succinct manner and in order to clarify the meaning of her use of the word "masculine"?

It seems to me a "good" host would have done just that...additionally supplied your aforementioned list of films which posit the idea that THE DIRTY DOZEN did not insert a sometimes needless or distracting "love angle" into its presentation of a war movie.

(...though once again, as I implied here, your list really DID "knock my socks off"!!!) LOL