Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

Well, now that we're kind'a sort'a over all THAT and that we're all kumbaya'n here again...

True, however didn't you earlier state something to the effect that Drew "might entice younger and the less classic film knowledgeable to watch this program"?

And so, me thinks THAT demographic probably wouldn't have caught that implied reference without some further explanation and examples of such, right?!

(...and so, wouldn't it have been "awesome" IF Drew would have actually NAMED those films you mentioned, and thus given those new younger viewers some addition titles to seek out and enjoy later on???)

Good post, Dargo. I like how you are gently weaving reverse psychology into your post to lead Vertigo on to more productive pastures.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call what I earlier wrote to Vertigo "reverse psychology" here TB, but maybe just a "good solid counterpoint" in support of my and apparently a few others' opinion that while Miss Barrymore seems like a very nice young lady, she seems a bit out of her element when it comes to her co-hosting duties on The Essentials.

• Like 1

Well, now that we're kind'a sort'a over all THAT and that we're all kumbaya'n here again...

Well, I wouldn't exactly call what I earlier wrote to Vertigo "reverse psychology" here TB, but maybe just a "good solid counterpoint" in support of my and apparently a few others' opinion that while Miss Barrymore seems like a very nice young lady, she seems a bit out of her element when it comes to her co-hosting duties on The Essentials.

Again, I would have to watch The Essentials a bit more to be qualified to judge. In fact, I did not even see the one on The Dirty Dozen that started this whole ruckus in the first place. I just was surprised by and questioned the level of snarkiness, as I said, based on the few times I had seen her co- host and the fact that her alleged comments re: The Dirty Dozen being a "masculine war film" was specifically derided and cited as an example of her incompetence. My interpretation of what she was implying (masculine vs feminine war films) seemed clear and valid enough to me to defend the logic of her view. Now you detractors may very well be correct that she is out of her element as co-host if, as here, her comments baffled even TCM board regulars who are pretty movie savvy - she may need to be somewhat more knowledgable (or so say the critics here) but may also need to communicate her thoughts more clearly and give examples to support her ideas.

Again, I would have to watch The Essentials a bit more to be qualified to judge. In fact, I did not even see the one on The Dirty Dozen that started this whole ruckus in the first place. I just was surprised by and questioned the level of snarkiness, as I said, based on the few times I had seen her co- host and the fact that her alleged comments re: The Dirty Dozen being a "masculine war film" was specifically derided and cited as an example of her incompetence. My interpretation of what she was implying (masculine vs feminine war films) seemed clear and valid enough to me to defend the logic of her view. Now you detractors may very well be correct that she is out of her element as co-host if, as here, her comments baffled even TCM board regulars who are pretty movie savvy - she may need to be somewhat more knowledgable (or so say the critics here) but may also need to communicate her thoughts more clearly and give examples to support her ideas.

Agreed.

(...especially with your very last sentence here, Vertigo) ;)

Today's schedule does not seem to include any very overplayed titles. It's actually better than what we have seen in the past few days...[/

Looks like we get a run of Claude Rains films today. His birthday? I'm intrested in seing "Four Daughters" as it was the one remade as "Young at Heart" with Frank Sinatra and Doris Day - a sentimental favorite of mine, an iconic part for Sinatra. He and Doris made a good team, I think. Garfield played the part here and is also worth watching in "They Made Me a Criminal""

Looks like we get a run of Claude Rains films today. His birthday? I'm intrested in seing "Four Daughters" as it was the one remade as "Young at Heart" with Frank Sinatra and Doris Day - a sentimental favorite of mine

I like YOUNG AT HEART better myself and was glad one of the Fan Programmers selected it last April, since it seldom airs.

Looks like we get a run of Claude Rains films today. His birthday? 

Yep Vertigo, I'm "shocked, SHOCKED" to learn that evidently you don't check out Joe's (bansi4) "*CANDIDS* 2" thread in the Films and Filmmakers forum to see who's birthday it is, and just like I do first thing every day! ;) 

Yep Vertigo, I'm "shocked, SHOCKED" to learn that evidently you don't check out Joe's (bansi4) "*CANDIDS* 2" thread in the Films and Filmmakers forum to see who's birthday it is, and just like I do first thing every day! ;)

I have to admit I'm a lazy, board peron. I'll usually just look over three or four threads that look interesting or just check in on ones where I'm involved in ome bouhh with TopB (lol). I shouldndo more exploring and ill.

Agree with you TopB (Kumbaya moment) on liking Young at Heart better than the original. I remembered later Sinatra had insisted on the happy ending in the remake, which I find so uplifting here and always get a lump in my throat (Love can bring changes!) and a little rush of joy at the closing moments of Young at Heart (which looks great in color btw - those two sets of beautiful movie star blue eyes to gaze at - (Doris and Frank's!) ) I also love the closing moment because of the final reprise of the appealing title song. So fifties! Doris and Frank are so attractive here, in parts that seem tailor made for them.

So watched Four Daughters, and John Garfield (!) great and the rest were fine, , but the movie seemed more dated and then a downer.

I am watching my DVD of Young at Heart tonight!

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm a lazy, board peron. I'll usually just look over three or four threads that look interesting or just check in on ones where I'm involved in ome bouhh with TopB (lol). I shouldndo more exploring and ill.

Agree with you TopB (Kumbaya moment) on liking Young at Heart better than the original. I remembered later Sinatra had insisted on the happy ending in the remake, which I find so uplifting here and always get a lump in my throat (Love can bring changes!) and a little rush of joy at the closing moments of Young at Heart (which looks great in color btw - those two sets of beautiful movie star blue eyes to gaze at - (Doris and Frank's!) ) I also love the closing moment because of the final reprise of the appealing title song. So fifties! Doris and Frank are so attractive here, in parts that seem tailor made for them.

So watched Four Daughters, and John Garfield (!) great and the rest were fine, , but the movie seemed more dated and then a downer.

" some brouhaha with TopB (lol). I should do more exploring and I Will.

I was not aware that you were related to the Argentine dictator.

I was not aware that you were related to the Argentine dictator.

Ha ha. This had me confused. (till I looked at my post more carefully - lazy board peron!) Point well taken. Typing rapidly on my Ipad can result in miscommunication. You have (humorously) compelled me to proofread more carefully.

FINALLY! They all mutter.

GYPSY is on today's schedule. Extremely overplayed.

I wonder if TCM could play the version ( not sure, but I think it was made for cable) of this musical that starred Bette Midler as Mama Rose. Fun alternate take on the role and the show.

I wonder if TCM could play the version ( not sure, but I think it was made for cable) of this musical that starred Bette Midler as Mama Rose. Fun alternate take on the role and the show.

I didn't care for Bette Midler as Mama Rose.

Here's a great audio clip of Patti Lupone stopping her performance of "Rose's Turn" in Gypsy on Broadway to chastise someone for taking pictures.

It was done on CBS, I think......

• Like 1

I didn't care for Bette Midler as Mama Rose.

Here's a great audio clip of Patti Lupone stopping her performance of "Rose's Turn" in Gypsy on Broadway to chastise someone for taking pictures.

I certainly admire Patti Lupone; I'm sure she was great. I saw and loved Glenn Close in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical version of "Sunset Boulevard" and I have the CD, but it is the Lupone version that I played the most often. That show had plenty of detractors, but I was a big fan.

was privelidged to see the awesome Angela Lansbury play it in the early 1970 's and she was unforgettble. That "Gypsy" remains one of my all time favorite theatrical memories. Her "Rose's Turn" was electrifying.

As for Bette's version - one might have to be a fan to really enjoy it, I guess. Her performsnce is brassy fun (very Bette) and entertaining to me, but then I usually always like HER, if not necessarily the movie, when I see her vehicles. THe last movie I remember seeing her in was "Drowning Mona" which seemed like it sort of came and vanihed with little notice, but I really thought it was funny and have watched it (DVD) several times. Great cast and offbeat humor. I thought Casey Affleck, Ben's brother, was very appealing in one of the lead roles and Jamie Lee Curtis again a deft comedienne ( she's underrated - WORD!) .

I certainly admire Patti Lupone; I'm sure she was great. I saw and loved Glenn Close in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical version of "Sunset Boulevard" and I have the CD, but it is the Lupone version that I played the most often. That show had plenty of detractors, but I was a big fan.

was privelidged to see the awesome Angela Lansbury play it in the early 1970 's and she was unforgettble. That "Gypsy" remains one of my all time favorite theatrical memories. Her "Rose's Turn" was electrifying.

As for Bette's version - one might have to be a fan to really enjoy it, I guess. Her performsnce is brassy fun (very Bette) and entertaining to me, but then I usually always like HER, if not necessarily the movie, when I see her vehicles. THe last movie I remember seeing her in was "Drowning Mona" which seemed like it sort of came and vanihed with little notice, but I really thought it was funny and have watched it (DVD) several times. Great cast and offbeat humor. I thought Casey Affleck, Ben's brother, was very appealing in one of the lead roles and Jamie Lee Curtis again a deft comedienne ( she's underrated - WORD!) .

So much for proofreading..."Drowning Mona VANISHED with little notice..."

I, too, am a big fan of the world premiere recording of Sunset Boulevard with Patti Lupone. Her Norma Desmond comes off as a complex, real person whereas in Glenn Close's performance (while extremely well crafted) we always hear and see a "character."

I also enjoy Elaine Paige's recordings of the songs from Sunset Boulevard. I love the sound of her voice very much.

Poltergeist airs yet AGAIN tomorrow!!

14-Poltergeist-movie.jpg

"....No more....no more (whimper)"

Funny you bring this up here 6666, as every time this movie is mentioned it reminds me of the time I, my girlfriend at the time and her brother went to see it, and afterward as we exited the cineplex my telling them of a movie I thought was WAY scarier than this overladen with special effects spectacle was......"The Haunting".

(...and I remember they had NO clue what I was talkin' about)

Hermager, Poltergeist!!

TCM, LOOK:

Enough, enough, enough, please.

There are plenty of post-1980 movies you can work into regular rotation as far as I'm concerned- I wouldn't mind a bit seeing Moonstruck, Stand by Me, Hairspray, Witness, Batman (1989), Henry V (1989) and others air on a regular basis on TCM. And if you want to be edgy and show some outright horror movies from recent(ish) decades, go right the hell ahead and show The Others (2001), Carrie (1976), The Hunger, Ghost Story, The Monster Club, Scars of Dracula, heck, I don't mind if Halloween and Return of the Living Dead showed up at the a.m. hours or on Underground.

But sersely: TCM, STOP WITH POLTERGEIST.

It is not classic. It does not bear repeating. I'll let you show it once a year, since you clearly like it and all, but after this: stop it.

Unless... by any chance, you unearth some discarded footage that reveals a last-minute revelation that the family in the film developed severe brain damage from asbestos or a nearby nuke plant or something that would explain their monumentally and inexplicably stupid decision in the final act of the movie to spend just one last night in house.

Please forgive the crassness here, but I think it helps to drive the point home:

Attn: family in Poltergeist: your [...] house tried to eat you. Do not take a relaxing bath (although you do need to fix those streaks, Jobeth) , do not put the kids to sleep in the room with the Devil Klown. Go immediately to the Motel 6. I do not care what Zelda Rubinstein told you about it being "free from spirits"- what the hell does she know? This was her first trip away from the Pole and the other elves didn't even miss her, AND ANYWAY: your [...] house tried to EAT YOU. Leave. Do not spend another minute, much less another night there, you stupid, brain-damaged people. Go get a motel room or sleep at a rest stop or just hang out at an all night Waffle House or something BECAUSE, (one last time)- your [...] house tried. To. Eat. You.

Gah!

It's really unforgivable on the part of the filmmakers because from that point on, I am wholeheartedly rooting for the house to eat the family, and frankly my sympathies have tilted that way for most of the film anyhow.

Edited by TCMModerator1
avoiding word filter
  • Like 2