Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maurice Chevalier

Mac_the_Nice

I know, I have heard the talk about how he sucked up to the Vichy government but . . .

Without Maurice Chevalier, we would have no Maurice Chevalier, and I speak as the son of a Jewish father. I say, without a twinge of conscience: we just simply must have our Maurice Chevalier. There is just no  two ways about it. Thank Heaven for Maurice Chevalier . . .

My Grandmother took me to see that movie. Didn't see a "sexist" word in it. But she was a Flapper, my dear Bess. What would she see? She loved men. She loved jazz. She loved me. I loved her. Without my dear Bess . . . Omigod. What would there have been for this little boy to do?

I know, I have heard the talk about how he sucked up to the Vichy government but . . .

Without Maurice Chevalier, we would have no Maurice Chevalier, and I speak as the son of a Jewish father. I say, without a twinge of conscience: we just simply must have our Maurice Chevalier. There is just no  two ways about it. Thank Heaven for Maurice Chevalier . . .

More than any other performer, his career must be divided into early (1935 and before) and late (1957 and after). Same style, but almost two different actors because of the age difference.

Not a huge fan, but I do like him in Love Me Tonight, one of the most perfect film musicals; and decades later, in Can-Can. Even though, when the latter film was on local television, the listings would say "More Hoboken than Paris."

TCM could show a double bill of The Big Pond, where Chevalier introduces the song, "You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me;" and Monkey Business, where the Marx Brothers imitate him (and Harpo uses his recording).

http://fan.tcm.com/video/the-marx-bros-in-monkey-business

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings