It's time for commericals on TCM to save the channel

Originally:

Mostly these decades:

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

I must wonder what you define as: 'originally.'

I had occasion early this evening to work on our collection of saved schedules and was able to pull this information:

After removal of shorts, specials and repeats: release date of movies scheduled March 1, 2000 through September 30, 2000:

1912-1919: 18
1920-1929: 47
1930-1939: 393
1940-1949: 441
1950-1959: 321
1960-1969: 247
1970-1979: 55
1980-1989: 31
1990-1995: 2

It is plain by this that more than fourteen years ago they were airing more movies from 1970s than from the 1920s and significantly more from the 1980s than from 1910s.

I should note that this does not include February and so "Oscar Month" theme which characteristically contains many more modern movies than is average is not reason for modern movies. January, October, November and December are missing also because we do not have schedules for those months.

The segment of the viewing public that wants TCM to show only the films of the 30's, 40's and 50's will diminish to a greater and greater degree as time passes.

In another 2 decades we'll have gotten to the point where there'll be 3/4 of a century's worth of movies that don't fall into the "studio era" and most of those who are clinging nostalgically to a family-rated product from their studio-era youth will be less and less a part of TCM's audience.

TCM has no choice but to constantly change its mix - at least incrementally, a little at a time. Adapt or die. Every movie lover will be worse off if it's the latter.

• Like 3

I must wonder what you define as: 'originally.'

I had occasion early this evening to work on our collection of saved schedules and was able to pull this information:

After removal of shorts, specials and repeats: release date of movies scheduled March 1, 2000 through September 30, 2000:

1912-1919: 18
1920-1929: 47
1930-1939: 393
1940-1949: 441
1950-1959: 321
1960-1969: 247
1970-1979: 55
1980-1989: 31
1990-1995: 2

It is plain by this that more than fourteen years ago they were airing more movies from 1970s than from the 1920s and significantly more from the 1980s than from 1910s.

I should note that this does not include February and so "Oscar Month" theme which characteristically contains many more modern movies than is average is not reason for modern movies. January, October, November and December are missing also because we do not have schedules for those months.

Thank you for bringing this up. I think this research points out several things...

1. That the sample that was taken is incomplete as you have stated.

2. That the amount of pre-1960 films on the schedule far outweigh any of those films that were shown on the schedule that are from the post 1960 era.

3. That the amount of pre-1930 films would possibly suggest that not enough of those films were available possibly in the correct format for showings on the schedule.

4. The sheer numbers of films for the 1930's through the 1950's is proof that TCM shows clearly more pre-1960 films on their schedules than from any other time period.

5. Whatever information IS brought to our attention will fall on deaf ears by those who constantly complain about those of us who supposedly support TCM and also because it is their duty to continue to disagree with anything that we post that could possibly support what TCM IS doing.

6. And that any time the channel shows ANY post 1960 films that this is an indication of things to come and that ANY post 1960 film is a film that is not a pre-1960 film so therefore this type of film for that era is displacing older films from the schedule. Oh yes we have heard this all before...

• Like 1

Thank you for bringing this up. I think this research points out several things...

1. That the sample that was taken is incomplete as you have stated.

2. That the amount of pre-1960 films on the schedule far outweigh any of those films that were shown on the schedule that are from the post 1960 era.

3. That the amount of pre-1930 films would possibly suggest that not enough of those films were available possibly in the correct format for showings on the schedule.

4. The sheer numbers of films for the 1930's through the 1950's is proof that TCM shows clearly more pre-1960 films on their schedules than from any other time period.

5. Whatever information IS brought to our attention will fall on deaf ears by those who constantly complain about those of us who supposedly support TCM and also because it is their duty to continue to disagree with anything that we post that could possibly support what TCM IS doing.

6. And that any time the channel shows ANY post 1960 films that this is an indication of things to come and that ANY post 1960 film is a film that is not a pre-1960 film so therefore this type of film for that era is displacing older films from the schedule. Oh yes we have heard this all before...

Most would probably be surprised by this distribution.. Many of the '30s films are aired weekdays during the day, while many are out earning a living.

Most would probably be surprised by this distribution.. Many of the '30s films are aired weekdays during the day, while many are out earning a living.

TCM viewers are employable?

But seriously, you're right - TCM should save money and not run movies during weekdays.

Kidding.

Is TCM really in danger of shutting down? If that is truly a possibily I wish we (everyone who loves TCM) could send them a few dollars each year (that would certainly add up). I feel certain that there are a LOT of viewers out there that would be willing to save this channel. We did something similar many years ago with another channel, it may have been PBS. People called in and donated money once a year to keep it operating commercial free.

I adore this channel because there are no commericals that end up butchering these classic films. :( It's a rare thing in this day and age for a channel like this to have survived and it's by far my favorite because of this. I hope it never changes because I remember AMC did that that and the entire platform ended up changing. We'd lose what we love about TCM.

AMC is no longer American Movie Classic's.

I continue to hope that Dish and Turner will reach a comprimise and those of us who have Dish will be able to see TCM again.

• Like 1

The segment of the viewing public that wants TCM to show only the films of the 30's, 40's and 50's will diminish to a greater and greater degree as time passes.

In another 2 decades we'll have gotten to the point where there'll be 3/4 of a century's worth of movies that don't fall into the "studio era" and most of those who are clinging nostalgically to a family-rated product from their studio-era youth will be less and less a part of TCM's audience.

TCM has no choice but to constantly change its mix - at least incrementally, a little at a time. Adapt or die. Every movie lover will be worse off if it's the latter.

These folks who want TCM to remain forever epoxied to the Studio era movies, showing little or nothing else after that, remind me of one of the old Giants' announcer Marty Glickman's favorite cliches: 

Whenever the Giants would go ahead late in the second half, he'd bellow out in his classic New Yawk accent, "I HOPE THE SKAWBAWD FREEZES!"

The problem is that neither football scoreboards nor time itself freeze at just the point we'd like it to.  And neither can TCM.

These folks who want TCM to remain forever epoxied to the Studio era movies, showing little or nothing else after that, remind me of one of the old Giants' announcer Marty Glickman's favorite cliches: 

Whenever the Giants would go ahead late in the second half, he'd bellow out in his classic New Yawk accent, "I HOPE THE SKAWBAWD FREEZES!"

The problem is that neither football scoreboards nor time itself freeze at just the point we'd like it to.  And neither can TCM.

I could not disagree with the above comments any more if I tried...it gives short shrift to those who define classic a specific way and it's disrespectful. Usually AndyM is a lot more understanding. Where's my thumbs-down clip art-- I need it...

I could not disagree with the above comments any more if I tried...it gives short shrift to those who define classic a specific way and it's disrespectful. Usually AndyM is a lot more understanding. Where's my thumbs-down clip art-- I need it...

But then what do you say about those who dismiss the original TCM mission statement, which specifically said that it intended to show "classic" films from all periods?  Is TCM itself being "disrespectful"?  Does the Turner Classic Movies channel not have at least some right to define what "classic" means, even if not everyone might agree with their definition?

I think we all would like TCM to continue its overwhelming emphasis on pre-1970 movies, but I don't think that either TCM or I are being disrespectful in suggesting that "classic" movies aren't defined only by their year of release.

The truth is that for those of us without access to premium cable channels, there are few if any alternatives to TCM and Netflix for access to high quality movies of relatively recent vintage that aren't polluted by commercial interruptions.  If TCM were to restrict itself solely to pre-1970 movies, that would leave many of us with a big hole in our cinematic souls.

• Like 3

What TCM says it is and what it has always been is not exactly what it is supposed to be

I am very sorry that I missed the referendum wherein all the people of the world determined with finality what TCM: "is supposed to be."

I am sure that I would have found it a very interesting process because I had been long under the illusion that it is the people who own the company who determine what the company "is supposed to be."

and not at all what many viewers need it to be.

I hope very much that I do not miss the opportunity to participate in determinations of what companies must provide because some people need it. I will quickly nominate good vodka at one dollar a gallon and strawberry cheesecake with a negative calorie count as things which many people need. I know that I do.

• Like 2

I hope very much that I do not miss the opportunity to participate in determinations of what companies must provide because some people need it. I will quickly nominate good vodka at one dollar a gallon and strawberry cheesecake with a negative calorie count as things which many people need. I know that I do.

Love it! 

icon_smile_clap.gif

Amazing that someone who speaks English as a second language (or 3rd or 4th) can successfully write sarcastically when so many other's attempts fail and start arguments.

I am sure that I would have found it a very interesting process because I had been long under the illusion that it is the people who own the company who determine what the company "is supposed to be."

Companies take users input very seriously. Those that don't, often fail. I'm in the UK at the moment. I remember the days when the old British/European "We know what's best" attitude prevailed. Many companies with that attitude went out of business. They are fortunately much more user-oriented these days, with resulting unprecedented success, i.e. they've come around to our American system to a degree.

TCM may indeed change it's mission, adding commercials, or programming more mainstream/contemporary films. But if it did so, I think it would be after careful consideration of all the market research tools available to it, of which this board is one of many. It won't be a case of "I'm the boss, and I can do anything I want."

I live in perhaps a rather rarified world where TCM is very important to most of the people I know. But the urban NYC arts/cultural world is hardly a microcosm of the country. However I think the executives at TCM understand that what they have is a very special niche market, country-wide. I'm sure they would consider very carefully before becoming like all the other channels.

The fact is that DVDs, the sales of which provide TCM with income, are on the way out. That has to be taken into consideration. However, if you look at a film clip on the TCM website, you do generally have to watch a fairly long commercial. More on demand films, via the TCM website, may also use commercials and increase income.

I hope very much that I do not miss the opportunity to participate in determinations of what companies must provide because some people need it.

I will keep that offer in mind and consult you if needed. But I doubt you will be needed-- I have cornered the market on this. Check my posting history and check my future posts, too. 

Seeing this brand montage reminds me once again how much I miss the olden, golden days when TCM spent the $$ to do live action promos instead of the current practice of "nothing but effects" (read:  Much Cheaper To Produce) promos. Glad these have been preserved on Youtube at least.

Lydecker

Seeing this brand montage reminds me once again how much I miss the olden, golden days when TCM spent the $$ to do live action promos instead of the current practice of "nothing but effects" (read:  Much Cheaper To Produce) promos. Glad these have been preserved on Youtube at least.

Lydecker

Wow, I don't even remember this. I probably thought it was a commercial, and turned it off. :D

I don't think I've ever seen Turner Classic Movies written out on the new and unimproved TCM promos - like KFC, they don't want to let us know what they once were and no longer are, i.e., classic.

Thanks for the memories, Fred.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen Turner Classic Movies written out on the new and unimproved TCM promos - like KFC, they don't want to let us know what they once were and no longer are, i.e., classic.

Yes, and just to show how far TCM has strayed from its mission, today's schedule of a dozen movies features only two from the 30's, five from the 40's, and three from the 50's. 

How did those two countercultural hippie movies from 1968----Bullitt and The Green Berets----ever sneak in there?  If John Wayne were alive today, he'd be rolling over in his grave. :angry:

Yes, and just to show how far TCM has strayed from its mission, today's schedule of a dozen movies features only two from the 30's, five from the 40's, and three from the 50's. 

How did those two countercultural hippie movies from 1968----Bullitt and The Green Berets----ever sneak in there?  If John Wayne were alive today, he'd be rolling over in his grave. :angry:

In other words, its mission in 2094 should be exactly the same as its mission in 1994, movies from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s?

In other words, its mission in 2094 should be exactly the same as its mission in 1994, movies from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s?

Okay, I guess I should have used ;)  or B)  instead of :angry: .  Sorry if you were misled.

Short answer to your question: No, I don't.   I'm perfectly satisfied with the mix of eras and genres that TCM provides us with over the course of any given month or year.  My idea of "classic" movies isn't restricted to those from the studio era.

Well first, I can't believe DGF didn't catch the obvious sardonic manner in which Andy's previous post had been written.

And secondly, while I know DGF thinks all those spin classes he takes are gonna extend his life...REALLY?! 2094?!

(...dude, sorry, but what the heck do YOU care what TCM is gonna be showin' in the year 2094, 'cause these's NO way all that work you do at that Philly gym is gonna keep ya around until THEN!!!) LOL

;)

AND, speaking of "sardonic"...

Anybody remember the very first reply in this thread and where I jokingly mentioned somethin' about maybe TCM making money by showing those political ads which are so prominent on TV today?

Well, THANK GOD election day is NOW here!!!

And so, at least for a LITTLE while anyway, we won't have to see those abominations on our TV sets for HOPEFULLY at least a FEW months anyway!!!

(...can I get a "Hallelujah" here folks???!!!)

LOL 

• Like 3

Okay, I guess I should have used ;)  or B)  instead of :angry: .  Sorry if you were misled.

Short answer to your question: No, I don't.   I'm perfectly satisfied with the mix of eras and genres that TCM provides us with over the course of any given month or year.  My idea of "classic" movies isn't restricted to those from the studio era.

My idea of "classic" movies isn't restricted to those from the studio era.

And mine are. As Patti said, to each his/her own. Not on THIS board, of course, but somewhere on a very liberal board where speech is free - TEH/HO.

That's why I want a separate classically classics only TCM station, which will never happen, so the apologists need not fire off a volley of flames.

My idea of "classic" movies isn't restricted to those from the studio era.

And mine are. As Patti said, to each his/her own. Not on THIS board, of course, but somewhere on a very liberal board where speech is free - TEH/HO.

That's why I want a separate classically classics only TCM station, which will never happen, so the apologists need not fire off a volley of flames.

Now primos, I REALLY hate to say the following here, BUT....

I'm a fairly observant person as maybe you've noticed after all this time, and I'VE never noticed ANYBODY around these here parts attempting to stifle any or all those little "Oh, woe is me, because so many people 'pick on', i.e. 'flaming' me(and Fred, and a few others) around here for speaking my mind about how we prefer to watch movies made before 1960" kinds of posts that you post around here so often.

Nope, all I've ever observed are others stating a contrary opinion from yours, THAT'S all.

(...howEVER, if you still wish to take that tact around here, then you're certainly FREE to do so...though I might say I'M gettin' a little tired of it myself...uh-huh, JUST like I am of all those FREAKIN' POLITICAL ADS!!!!!!!) LOL 

The people who are in charge at TCM can run it as they wish.  Tell you what---I don't know if the station has ever gone public, so I don't know if stock in TCM can be accquired, but if it CAN, BUY a trainload of it and go gripe at the next shareholders meeting.  Or do the same with the stock in the company that houses TCM, which means how the station is run, and what any of US think about it has little priority to them.  So we'll have to settle.  AND adapt.  Just like in REAL life! 

Sepiatone