Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's time for commericals on TCM to save the channel

The people who are in charge at TCM can run it as they wish.  Tell you what---I don't know if the station has ever gone public, so I don't know if stock in TCM can be accquired, but if it CAN, BUY a trainload of it and go gripe at the next shareholders meeting.  Or do the same with the stock in the company that houses TCM, which means how the station is run, and what any of US think about it has little priority to them.  So we'll have to settle.  AND adapt.  Just like in REAL life! 

Sepiatone

Nope. Free message board. I can gripe here.

Anything else?

I'VE never noticed ANYBODY around these here parts attempting to stifle any or all those little "Oh, woe is me, because so many people 'pick on', i.e. 'flaming' me(and Fred, and a few others) around here for speaking my mind about how we prefer to watch movies made before 1960" kinds of posts that you post around here so often. Nope, all I've ever observed are others stating a contrary opinion from yours, THAT'S all.......so I might say I'M gettin' a little tired of it myself.....

Careful, Dargo. There's been quite a scrub job being done on posts in this thread this morning - especially on those posts that dared to speak truth about a certain member. That member's partner-in-malcontention may be similarly protected.

Careful, Dargo. There's been quite a scrub job being done on posts in this thread this morning - especially on those posts that dared to speak truth about a certain member. That member's partner-in-malcontention may be similarly protected.

Yes some comments have been scrubbed/deleted. Including some of mine.

Sure----you CAN gripe all you wish.  Just please keep from griping about your griping NOT getting the results you WISH! 

Sepiatone

Huh? Can you parse that sentence?

The entire point of griping is griping about not getting the results I wish, hence the griping. Have you been to many message boards? This one is lightweight.

I still remember fondly one about Jon Seda where the gripers griped until there was no more griping to be done, that was how much griping was griped by the group's gripers. Well, the man DID kill Homicide:Life On The Street, so the group's grandiose disgruntled griping was justified.

:D:D:D

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you agree with the very nice Patti when she said:

It would be a rather boring world if we all thought alike and all liked the exact same things.

?

:)

Well first, I can't believe DGF didn't catch the obvious sardonic manner in which Andy's previous post had been written.

And secondly, while I know DGF thinks all those spin classes he takes are gonna extend his life...REALLY?! 2094?!

(...dude, sorry, but what the heck do YOU care what TCM is gonna be showin' in the year 2094, 'cause these's NO way all that work you do at that Philly gym is gonna keep ya around until THEN!!!) LOL

;)

...and you can't watch TCM if you're spending all that time in spin classes anyway.

I see someone is trying to compare today with 2003, and the situation is completely different than back then. Even The Turner Broadcasting CEO says many niche channels are in trouble, making it sound like they will have to beef up TCM if it is going to stay in their top lineup.

He claims " the big are going to get bigger."

Sorry I haven't sifted through this thread's pages of nonsense.....but just the title suggests TCM could be "saved" as a channel if they added commercials to help fund their air time.

I do not think that is a feasible resolve. There are so many stations companies can buy commercial time on, why would they choose TCM? I think the loyal viewers would resent commercials, making the cost of buying time a waste for them. And I don't think it would create any kind of a "fix" for the station's costs, just a band-aid.

Remember-TCM is only part of the CNN/Turner "package". All the other stations have commercials and the package is still requesting more (a pay raise) from the DISH distributers.

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't sifted through this thread's pages of nonsense.....but just the title suggests TCM could be "saved" as a channel if they added commercials to help fund their air time.

I do not think that is a feasible resolve. There are so many stations companies can buy commercial time on, why would they choose TCM? I think the loyal viewers would resent commercials, making the cost of buying time a waste for them. And I don't think it would create any kind of a "fix" for the station's costs, just a band-aid.

Remember-TCM is only part of the CNN/Turner "package". All the other stations have commercials and the package is still requesting more (a pay raise) from the DISH distributers.

Please let me find my thumbs-down clip art. The above post starts with a disrespectful slam against the original poster and various contributors of the thread, then the poster acts as if there is a reason for anyone to think what she's writing isn't equal nonsense or drivel. 

• Like 1

Please let me find my thumbs-down clip art. The above post starts with a disrespectful slam against the original poster and various contributors of the thread, then the poster acts as if there is a reason for anyone to think what she's writing isn't equal nonsense or drivel. 

Is there a 'point' to 'liking' your own posts??? :wacko:

I have Brighthouse cable (Pensacola, FL) and I pay extra to get the upper channels so that I can get TCM. If TCM goes/went to commercials within the movies I would immediately cancel my upper channels.

Why? Because I enjoy watching CLASSIC movies to escape this crazy world. I don't need to be reminded that I'm watching a MOVIE, and I want to experience (as close to possible) what the director wanted me to see.

As has been suggested by AndyM108 and TopBilled, I have been recording all the movies that I want to possibly see again.

Why? Because I know that this (crazy) world is run by money (greed, power) and eventually TCM will eventually fall. As the banks used to give a decent interest on savings, the customers used to be always right,  and the U.S.A used to be a republic, so shall TCM (Turner Broadcasting) succomb to Big Money (yes I realize that Turner etc. is already about money).

Unfortunately I realize this post is either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears. May this post be a comfort to others by solidarity or a warning to others that Rome wasn't forever.

• Like 3

The above post starts with a disrespectful slam:

"Sorry I haven't sifted through this thread's pages of nonsense...."

I apologise, I can see how you misinterpreted that statement.

What I MEANT to say was ...while I participated in reading this thread when it was first posted, I found the thread had become somewhat derailed from the original intent. 

I did not want to address the spinoff conversations, but the OP.

Hope that clarifies that I did not mean to insult anyone with my statement.

I have Brighthouse cable (Pensacola, FL) and I pay extra to get the upper channels so that I can get TCM. If TCM goes/went to commercials within the movies I would immediately cancel my upper channels.

Why? Because I enjoy watching CLASSIC movies to escape this crazy world. I don't need to be reminded that I'm watching a MOVIE, and I want to experience (as close to possible) what the director wanted me to see.

As has been suggested by AndyM108 and TopBilled, I have been recording all the movies that I want to possibly see again.

Why? Because I know that this (crazy) world is run by money (greed, power) and eventually TCM will eventually fall. As the banks used to give a decent interest on savings, the customers used to be always right,  and the U.S.A used to be a republic, so shall TCM (Turner Broadcasting) succomb to Big Money (yes I realize that Turner etc. is already about money).

Unfortunately I realize this post is either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears. May this post be a comfort to others by solidarity or a warning to others that Rome wasn't forever.

this post is either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears.

Both. But not to worry, this board is divided into two factions, the choir and deaf ears.

We of the choir welcome your post, you are quite correct in your observations and in your warning. Corporations are, to quote Fred Dobbs, liars and crooks. That ain't a gonna change.

Post on, toddo, and don't let the deaf ears dissuade you from speaking your mind. :D

But remember the sensibilities. You and I don't have any, remember?

:D:D:D

Yes, the only one you can rely on is yourself-- the folks who put blind faith into a company or a cable channel will be sorely disappointed. 

A few years ago I had Netflix streaming. There were so many great Paramount and Republic classics there, and I watched many (though unlike cable broadcasts, I was unable to make recordings of them). I had assumed they would always be there and I could re-watch them at leisure. My mistake.

One day I logged in, and those titles were soon ending on Netflix-- a few had already been discontinued. I called Netflix and spoke to a manager/supervisor. I asked why are all these classics getting yanked off Netflix streaming? I was told that Netflix could make more money with more current programming (which they have done a lot of in these last two years). They said Netflix had been conducting surveys and there just wasn't interest in these rare classic films-- their words, not mine. I was very annoyed and said that they should have had me do the survey. These classics were the main reason I was subscribing to the streaming service.

I had a temper tantrum, and then ended my streaming with them. Every now and then I get an email asking me to come back with a free trial, and I look at what they are offering and it's one-fifth of what they had before in terms of classic films. It changed. It's not changing back. What started as a good business model was altered because in the pursuit for the almighty dollar and younger audiences, different less-classic content became their priority. 

That is what's happening now with TCM.

We are moving from Turner Classic Movies to Turner Movies, and eventually to Turner (with television and film products that may have some classic elements). A perfect analogy-- we are going from 100% pure beef to mystery meat that has a lot of filler in it.

Primo----you and I were exchanging some good natured barbs not too long ago, and they've vanished from the thread!

This is getting TOO much like "Fakebook" lately.

It would be a shame if TCM went the way of AMC.  I enjoyed AMC when it first came out, and so far, TCM has lasted LONG past the amount of time AMC did until they went to playing WAY too many commercials.  AND movies you can catch on a wide variety of other cable channels that play LESS commercials.

However, I wouldn't be repelled by the idea of TCM having occaisional "pledge drives" similar(in intent) to PBS.  Or maybe some kind of MEMBERSHIP deal where members can send in monthly, or bi-monthly contributions to help keep it going.  As long as WE decide how much.

I would hope, however , that if TCM DOES start showing commercials, they take an Idea of mine to heart, and just show a pantload of them IN BETWEEN the movies so as to not INTERRUPT the films.  I don't know why AMC didn't consider this.

Sepiatone

The above post starts with a disrespectful slam:

"Sorry I haven't sifted through this thread's pages of nonsense...."

I apologise, I can see how you misinterpreted that statement.

What I MEANT to say was ...while I participated in reading this thread when it was first posted, I found the thread had become somewhat derailed from the original intent. 

I did not want to address the spinoff conversations, but the OP.

Hope that clarifies that I did not mean to insult anyone with my statement.

Ahh, you can call it nonsense if you like - there's certainly been lots of it, interspersed with the not-so-nonsensical.

If someone wants to see your description as a "slam" - let 'em. Others see it as an honest appraisal. Nonsense.....slams.....people are allowed their own interpretations, yes?

A few years ago I had Netflix streaming. There were so many great Paramount and Republic classics there, and I watched many (though unlike cable broadcasts, I was unable to make recordings of them). I had assumed they would always be there and I could re-watch them at leisure. My mistake.

And of course movies get removed from YouTube all the time, often coming and going several times within the space of a year.  After Sybil Jason's birthday tribute back in 2009, I noticed that you could go on YouTube and  find the entire showing of The Captain's Kid, and all the highlight points of Little Big Shot

But alas, they all got removed a few months later and haven't since returned.  For some stupid reason I failed to record The Captain's Kid, and TCM hasn't played it once since that one time five years ago.  So I learned my lesson the hard way, but since then I don't think I've missed recording a single movie I'd ever want to see again, no matter what time of the day or wee hours.  Our linen closet is bulging with boxes of DVDs in slimline jewel cases, but fortunately my wife loves TCM almost as much as I do. B)