Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Whatever the uncertain worth of Le Douxième Souffle (1966), there's no doubt about the 1966 Dodge Dart in it:

i023796.jpg

 

My father's favorite car was his 1965 Dodge Dart sedan.  It was a demonstrator and closest he ever came to owning a new car.  The Slant Six engine was bulletproof.  He began with a used 32 Chevy. 

The Dart replaced the Dodge Lancer which was a Plymouth Valiant clone.There were Dodge Darts from 60 to 62, but they were almost full-size cars. The 63 and later versions were "compact" cars. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Couldn't see that image Slayton.  :(

But I have a question....

What WAS the make of that sports car that CARY GRANT tools around in with MARILYN MONROE at his side in MONKEY BUSINESS?

A friend of mine SWEARS it's a MORGAN, but even in a movie, I find it hard to imagine buying a Morgan at a Ford "agency". :huh:

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Couldn't see that image Slayton.  :(

But I have a question....

What WAS the make of that sports car that CARY GRANT tools around in with MARILYN MONROE at his side in MONKEY BUSINESS?

A friend of mine SWEARS it's a MORGAN, but even in a movie, I find it hard to imagine buying a Morgan at a Ford "agency". :huh:

Sepiatone

It may have been a 1950 MG TD:

i115959.jpg

 

As for the Lotus, you can see it here:

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_2367-Lotus-Seven-Mark-VII-1965.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Couldn't see that image Slayton.  :(

But I have a question....

What WAS the make of that sports car that CARY GRANT tools around in with MARILYN MONROE at his side in MONKEY BUSINESS?

A friend of mine SWEARS it's a MORGAN, but even in a movie, I find it hard to imagine buying a Morgan at a Ford "agency". :huh:

Sepiatone

Will defer to other answer on this.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Morgan or any foreign make sold at a Ford agency.  In the 1950's and early 60's, Mercedes-Benz was sold and serviced at Studebaker dealerships.  Very few foreign makes sold enough cars to justify stand alone dealerships.

Back in 78 or so I purchased a Fiat from a Fiat/M-B/MG/Mazda dealership.  Next door was the Triumph/AMC dealership.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, Slayton, your images aren't showing up.  I'd venture a guess, since I also have trouble with YouTube clips, the problem with your images might be mine, not yours,  ;) 

But I looked both the MG and Morgan up (and both 1950 and 1952 years)

and the two do look startlingly similar!  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

1956 MG MkI in The Horse's Mouth (1958).  In the picture you see the front of the MG, and the back of Alec Guinness:

 

Those are beautiful little British two-seaters alright slayton(and have always reminded me of a slightly smaller Austin-Healey 100/3000 series sports car of the same era), however the more exact designation for these first all new postwar MG models which were introduced in 1955 would be the "MGA" MK1. The "A" designation being important here, as the MG company's next all new model after this being designated as the MGB model and which were introduced in 1962.

(...yeah, I know...picky, ain't I?!) ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Those are beautiful little British two-seaters alright slayton(and have always reminded me of a slightly smaller Austin-Healey 100/3000 series sports car of the same era), however the more exact designation for these first all new postwar MG models which were introduced in 1955 would be the "MGA" MK1. The "A" designation being important here, as the MG company's next all new model after this being designated as the MGB model and which were introduced in 1962.

(...yeah, I know...picky, ain't I?!) ;)

That's what we like about ya, man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Brough Superior SS100

TE Lawrence owned eight of them in succession; died on one; and was waiting for another on delivery when he died

Brough_Superior_SS100_1925.jpg

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/the-ss100/history.html

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/world-of-brough-superior/george-broughs-legacy.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior

 

Lawrence_of_Arabia_Brough_Superior_gif.g

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Brough Superior SS100

TE Lawrence owned eight of them in succession; died on one; and was waiting for another on delivery when he died

Brough_Superior_SS100_1925.jpg

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/the-ss100/history.html

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/world-of-brough-superior/george-broughs-legacy.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior

 

Lawrence_of_Arabia_Brough_Superior_gif.g

 

Coincidentally here Sarge, and seeing as how you've brought a British motorcycle into the conversation here...

In a couple of weeks I'll once again be heading to my old stomping grounds of SoCal to attend the 39th annual Hansen Dam British motorcycle rally. I've been attending this rally for about 25 years now and ride in on one of my Triumphs.

Among the regulars who attend this rally, and presently at about 1200 strong and growing, will usually be Jay Leno, and who will usually ride in on one of his four now very high value Brough motorcycles.

Some Broughs are presently fetching over $250,000 or more on auction. I wonder what this one featured in the opening scene of David Lean's biopic of T.E. Lawrence might be worth today if it's still around?...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to vehicles: I'm a big fan of muscle cars (although admittedly not very knowledgeable) so I can only add this to recommend me--I despise the look of almost all modern wedge-body cars we see on the road today. They turn mah stummik!

I've been lucky enough to reside in 2- 3 towns on the East Coast where classic cars are spotted regularly (Pottstown PA for example).

Anyway: Mustangs and Barracudas, Sebrings and Chargers, Javelins, Camaros and Roadrunners, Goats and Dusters, Challengers--I luv's em.

Here's a fave I'm sure you recognize:

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the infamous Jensen Interceptor? Like a bat out of hell.

I can name one cinematic pursuit sequence featuring this baby; but I'll have to think about it for a while before coming up with the title (no I won't cheat by using IMcDB).

 

Jensen%20Interceptor%20III%201973%20fron56865616-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

ebay433181.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

How about the infamous Jensen Interceptor? Like a bat out of hell.

I can name one cinematic pursuit sequence featuring this baby; but I'll have to think about it for a while before coming up with the title (no I won't cheat by using IMcDB).

 

Jensen%20Interceptor%20III%201973%20fron

 

Now, that's a nice car!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I haven't really been following this thread, so maybe this one has already been posted. 

1971/72 RecTrans Discoverer - from Slither (1973).  At first thought it might be a George Barris build, but then noticed it wasn't.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/rectrans-discoverer-1.jpg

 

They were a foreboding presence in a movie that remains one of the strangest oddities of moviemaking. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

How about the infamous Jensen Interceptor? Like a bat out of hell.

I can name one cinematic pursuit sequence featuring this baby; but I'll have to think about it for a while before coming up with the title (no I won't cheat by using IMcDB).

First Sarge, tell me why you used the word "infamous" in regard to this car? As far as I know these cars were fairly dependable, and especially considering these Anglo-American "hybrids"(in the manner of a Shelby Cobra or Sunbean Tiger, that is) were powered by a very reliable Chrysler V8 in various displacement during their model run.

They've also become quite collectable in recent years, btw.

(...and secondly, have you come up with the film title that you said you remember an Interceptor being involved in a car chase?...I haven't a clue)

Link to post
Share on other sites

And now, the large rounded rear glass area of the Jensen Interceptor has always somewhat reminded me of the Studebaker Avanti here...

1964-Studebaker-Avanti-0041.jpg

I've always liked the looks of these, and ever since I saw my first one on the road at about age 10 or 11. Have always thought of them as being one of the very first muscle cars to hit the market in the early-'60s.

And now in keeping with the premise of slayton's thread here, that being "cars in movies", I found the following pic of an Avanti which was used in the 1995 film Nixon...

i314008.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hum! I thought the premise of this thread was: classic cars in classic movies!

Anyway on that Jensen: perhaps I flubbed on my word choice there. I mean to indicate this car is 'not famous' when its merits should be more widely appreciated.

Title of movie: I'm thinking it was either a Joe Don Baker flick like 'Mitchell' or 'Framed' (luv that actor!) ...or, Alistair McLean's 'Fear is the Key' (1972) starring Barry Newman (of 'Vanishing Point' fame). Will confirm shortly.

How about this one next:

5551c2ea2bc75e7c1f523002c66afc53.jpg

Notably used in the opening sequence of two wonderful flicks: 'The Day of the Jackal' (..riddled by machine-pistols) and memorably wrecked by Burt Reynolds in the (original) 'Longest Yard'!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dargo said:

 As far as I know these cars were fairly dependable, and especially considering these Anglo-American "hybrids"(in the manner of a Shelby Cobra or Sunbean Tiger, that is) were powered by a very reliable Chrysler V8 in various displacement during their model run.

They've also become quite collectable in recent years, btw.

(...and secondly, have you come up with the film title that you said you remember an Interceptor being involved in a car chase?...I haven't a clue)

The Shelby Cobra (AKA AC Cobra) had a Ford V8.  Shelby later converted Ford Mustang's into "Cobras."  He did eventually migrate to Chrysler where he revived the Cobra nameplate for some Dodge cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...